PDA

View Full Version : If I hear Doug Collins complain one more time...

Anthem
05-07-2004, 12:27 AM
... about Ron Artest drawing fouls by pushing the ball through a defender's hands, I'm going to hurl. He got it from reading the paper today (the quote by Eddie Jones). He kept saying it as if Ron shouldn't get the calls, since he has the ball out there where he can get fouled. As it was, I thought Ron should have gotten more and-ones than he did... he's so strong that it often doesn't look like a foul.

If he hurts our chances of getting calls later on in the series, I'll be quite peeved.

Hicks
05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
I didn't think he was complaining about it, he just pointed it out. I never heard him say "and that's wrong" or "they shouldn't call that".

TheSauceMaster
05-07-2004, 12:35 AM
I didn't think he was complaining about it, he just pointed it out. I never heard him say "and that's wrong" or "they shouldn't call that".

Ditto I must have missed it or something :confused:

Anthem
05-07-2004, 12:40 AM
I never heard him say "and that's wrong" or "they shouldn't call that".

No, he never said that. It's just that he talked about it OVER and OVER and OVER.

Part of it's his voice... it sounds like he's always whining.

Chambizzle
05-07-2004, 01:12 AM
I didn't notice him complaining about Artest as much as he was complaining about the Music being played during the game.

He wouldn't shut up about it.

sweabs
05-07-2004, 01:22 AM
What he said about the music is true though - I think it's cool to do it but they gotta keep it to a minimum sometimes...

Bball
05-07-2004, 02:31 AM
At a basketball game a little Mellencamp goes a long way. ... Surely if you are gonna play (too much) Mellencamp you could find better songs that are more motivating than "Rumbleseat"????

I was thinking the AC/DC which we heard at the end (Thunderstruck) woulda been better placed at the beginning of the game. I think the "Authority Song" was one of the first things we heard during the game. If this is what Doug Collins was complaining about then count me in.

I'm actually fine with the race cars. BTW, didn't the race cars used to be what was played when the Pacers were on defense? Recently I noticed it being what was played on Offense. ...and tonight I never heard the race cars at all.

-Bball

indygeezer
05-07-2004, 08:26 AM
At a basketball game a little Mellencamp goes a long way. ... Surely if you are gonna play (too much) Mellencamp you could find better songs that are more motivating than "Rumbleseat"????

I was thinking the AC/DC which we heard at the end (Thunderstruck) woulda been better placed at the beginning of the game. I think the "Authority Song" was one of the first things we heard during the game. If this is what Doug Collins was complaining about then count me in.

I'm actually fine with the race cars. BTW, didn't the race cars used to be what was played when the Pacers were on defense? Recently I noticed it being what was played on Offense. ...and tonight I never heard the race cars at all.

-Bball

I quit going to games for years because of the cheesy race cars. LAst year I found they had dropped them and so I attended some games. If they are bringing them back... :mad:

It's bush-league copying off the Hornets bee buzzing years ago.

But Collins whining about the music struck me as being in the same ilk as NBC constantly harping on Rose leaving the bench...and ESPN harping on RA doing it this year. Like they were trying to influence the commish's office for some hidden reason. (Oliver Stone where art thou???)

diego
05-07-2004, 10:28 AM

-Bball

I quit going to games for years because of the cheesy race cars. LAst year I found they had dropped them and so I attended some games. If they are bringing them back... :mad:

It's bush-league copying off the Hornets bee buzzing years ago.

But Collins whining about the music struck me as being in the same ilk as NBC constantly harping on Rose leaving the bench...and ESPN harping on RA doing it this year. Like they were trying to influence the commish's office for some hidden reason. (Oliver Stone where art thou???)

Not to call you out Geezer...well yes it is. :D If race car sounds kept you away from going to games, what kind of fan are you. I mean really. Is it that big of a deal that it would keep you from going and watching your team. Did you have to walk uphill both ways in the snow without shoes to get there to? Do you want some figgy pudding?

Come on Geez, i hope you werent serious.

BillS
05-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Actually, I didn't like it and I understand why geezer would have been driven away.

If some kind of artificial sound (racecar, music) is being played all the time, how can you tell whether the crowd is into the game or not? Doesn't it encourage people to sit back and be entertained rather than get into the whole experience of being at the game?

Really, if I just want to watch the game, I'm better off watching TV. It's the whole overall shared experience of the game and the fans that makes going to the game a better experience.

Bring back the live organist who timed the responses and actions to work up the crowd instead of the canned music that sounds really stupid when played during a dead crowd period.

diego
05-07-2004, 11:32 AM
See i guess i just dont understand. Personally i didnt really care for race car sounds either, and i agree some of the music sucks now at the games...but i am just amazed at what people will complain about or choose to stay home because of. Money is one thing, but the music and sounds...come on. I guess i find myself so engrossed in the game and cheering regardless of what others are doing that i could care less what sounds are played on the PA. JMO though.

Bball
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
See i guess i just dont understand. Personally i didnt really care for race car sounds either, and i agree some of the music sucks now at the games...but i am just amazed at what people will complain about or choose to stay home because of. Money is one thing, but the music and sounds...come on. I guess i find myself so engrossed in the game and cheering regardless of what others are doing that i could care less what sounds are played on the PA. JMO though.

I'm with you Diego. I just thought the Mellencamp songs chosen were questionable if they were supposed to ramp up the crowd (or team)... and probably overdone as well... but they wouldn't stop me from enjoying the game. They are pretty easy to tune out and not that loud anyway. My failing memory tells me this stuff used to be louder but the NBA imposed a dB limit on audio playback at the games several years ago.

Hmmmmm.... did we not get to hear Rock and Roll Part Two (HEY!) (or whatever it is called last night? And where was "We Will Rock You"? ....Or the "I don't wanna work....." song.

I'm thinking there was a concious effort to change the music that has taken place at some point this year. Seems I heard that stuff at the Kings game a few weeks back. Do they rotate the music or was last night really a lot of different stuff?

-Bball

indygeezer
05-07-2004, 12:07 PM

It was many things put together...money of course was one. BUT...I really really don't like auto racing...and the obnoxious FAKE SOUNDING noise of a race car just really took away from the enjoyment of being there. To me those noises were like fingernails running down a chaulkboard. Why pay that much for something that was being deminished in value IMO? What kind of fan am I??? How about one that used to have four seasons tickets 15-20 feet to the right of the Simons seats at MSA? (Granted that was because my 9-5 made it easy to pay for them...not cheaper just payroll deducted).

Kegboy
05-07-2004, 02:10 PM

You'd be surprised on what can get on your nerves after going for so many years (6, in my case.) Like, for instance, DJ Shut The F* Up.

diego
05-07-2004, 02:14 PM

You'd be surprised on what can get on your nerves after going for so many years (6, in my case.) Like, for instance, DJ Shut The F* Up.

You assume i have not gone for a long time. Bad assumption. Liek i said i understand there are things that are annoying, and maybe i would prefer other things, but damn its not that big of a deal. i think it is just a microcosm of the world though. We are never satisfied with anything.

Kegboy
05-07-2004, 02:18 PM

You assume i have not gone for a long time. Bad assumption. Liek i said i understand there are things that are annoying, and maybe i would prefer other things, but damn its not that big of a deal. i think it is just a microcosm of the world though. We are never satisfied with anything.

I didn't assume anything. I'm just saying that if you go to just about every game for a long amount of time, things can really start to drive you up the wall.

grace
05-07-2004, 02:27 PM
[It was many things put together...money of course was one. BUT...I really really don't like auto racing...and the obnoxious FAKE SOUNDING noise of a race car just really took away from the enjoyment of being there. To me those noises were like fingernails running down a chaulkboard. Why pay that much for something that was being deminished in value IMO?

Might I suggest buying a pair of ear plugs? I've heard they're quite good at blocking out ambient sounds like race cars. Unfortunately they don't block out the sounds of the people sitting behind you.

There's a lot that goes on during a Pacer game that I could do without. Like the whipping sounds put into the Pacemate routines. The last time they showed up with those freakin' rain coats on I decided to take cover in the rest room. I can only watch it Rain Men so much! :puke:

Slick Pinkham
05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
call me an old fuddy-duddy,

but I hate having scoreboards tell me to be loud, dot races, piped-in loud music DURING play (I love it in timeouts).

I want to watch basketball and react loudly and spontaneously to good and bad things that happen in the flow of the game.

I'm not one to sit on my hands, but I just don't like the stuff that is contrived for the casual fan or the rich corporate non-fan who barely understands what is going on without being told how to act.

Southside_Pacer
05-07-2004, 03:00 PM
These other parts of the NBA game experience, is why I LOVE the college basketball experience so much more.

Atmosphere wise, I'd rather be at an IU game than a Pacers game, where the brand of basketball is so much better with the Pacers.

Wth the college game there's nothing on the scoreboard that tell me to be loud, there's no plane races with people screaming for nothing, there's no t-shirts being launched into the stands by a power pack, there's no annoying sound or music clips going during the game.

With the college game there's the pep band to entertain you (being in a college pep band myself we want to play and entertain you!). There's the cheerleaders and dance team, there's the student section standing and typically wearing all the same t-shirts, and the crowd itself is typically more into the game than those at Pacers' games.

It's just easier to connect with the players, and coaches at a college game than a pro game now a days since there's none of the outside attractions at the college game. I go to see the game, and that's what I see and hear.

Bball
05-07-2004, 03:04 PM
call me an old fuddy-duddy,

but I hate having scoreboards tell me to be loud, dot races, piped-in loud music DURING play (I love it in timeouts).

I want to watch basketball and react loudly and spontaneously to good and bad things that happen in the flow of the game.

I'm not one to sit on my hands, but I just don't like the stuff that is contrived for the casual fan or the rich corporate non-fan who barely understands what is going on without being told how to act.

Too bad we're not in charge 'cuz that is exactly how I'd do it.

My friend and I were talking last night how we'd like to hear the court mic'ed and piped thru the PA during play if anything (hear the players shouting, sneaker squeaks, ball bouncing, etc). Not a lot, just a little sweetening. That was his idea... but I liked it.

-bball

sixthman
05-07-2004, 03:15 PM
I must have had my mind on other things last night cause I sure didn't hear race cars.

I'm at least twice as old as DJ Paul B and I don't mind his role. He's just doing an updated version of what the radio voice who does the Pacers PA announcing did for years before.

But, I agree: I don't need pictures of hands clapping and visual prompts, to tell me when I need to cheer.

I enjoyed being at the game last night, although the game last night was not exciting: there was little doubt from the git go that the Pacers would be in charge.

Bball
05-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I must have had my mind on other things last night cause I sure didn't hear race cars.

There were no race cars last night that I heard tho I am pretty sure they have done them this year when the team is on offense. I swear back in the 90's they did it when the team was on defense though. But none last night IIRC.

-Bball

MagicRat
05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
My friend and I were talking last night how we'd like to hear the court mic'ed and piped thru the PA during play if anything (hear the players shouting, sneaker squeaks, ball bouncing, etc). Not a lot, just a little sweetening. That was his idea... but I liked it.

They do pipe some of the sound through the PA, although sometimes it's hard to hear through the other stuff. Maybe I just sit in a good spot to hear it, but I can hear the ball hitting the rim, some dribbling and squeaky shoes and occasionally a bit of chatter. :whoknows:

It seems kind of inconsistent in volume and I guess I don't pay enough attention to tell if it's always on. I can distinctly remember one shot last night banging off of the rim that was fairly prominent....:whoknows: :whoknows:

indygeezer
05-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Here's the thing, the game is fun and exciting enough without it. I willingly go to other games and make noise, events that don't have fake cheesey prompts. (Brings up visions of the guy holding up an APPLAUD sign to a tvaudience.)

<Putting on "old-timers" hat> Back in the really raucous days, the Pacer's used to reserve 30-40 seats down low and bring in a high school pep band. They'd have a different one each game. The kids got in free but of course if the parents came they hda to buy tix. It gave that "old-time" high school flavor and added some color. PLUS IT GOT THE KIDS INTERESTED IN THE PACERS. Hey, they may have actually followed the team and bought apparel, who knows.

Kegboy
05-07-2004, 11:35 PM
With the college game there's the pep band to entertain you (being in a college pep band myself we want to play and entertain you!)

Me too. I was practically drooling when Geezer talked about bringing in high school bands, though I think I'd want a little better quality.

Bball
05-08-2004, 01:33 AM

They do pipe some of the sound through the PA, although sometimes it's hard to hear through the other stuff. Maybe I just sit in a good spot to hear it, but I can hear the ball hitting the rim, some dribbling and squeaky shoes and occasionally a bit of chatter. :whoknows:

It seems kind of inconsistent in volume and I guess I don't pay enough attention to tell if it's always on. I can distinctly remember one shot last night banging off of the rim that was fairly prominent....:whoknows: :whoknows:

I know the rim was mic'ed... you could hear it during freethrows. Not sure if it was only for Pacers or not. The crowd noise does drown it out and obviously when the Heat were shooting FT"s the crowd was noisy so it could've been drowned out.

-Bball