PDA

View Full Version : Pacers rebounding question

joro
05-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, we got outrebounded 47-39, and the Warmth cleaned their own glass for SIXTEEN offensive boards.

I didn't get to see much of the game, so I ask . . .

What didn't we do correctly? (Block out - duh! - but be more specific.)

Who hurt us the worst on the Warmth's offensive glass?

What can Carlisle come up with to solve this dilemma?

Looks to me if we had kept them off their own boards we could have won this one by about 20 or 25.

sweabs
05-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I was gonna bring up the same thread...it seems to me Jermaine should be dominating on the boards...only 7??? :whoknows: :whoknows:

Ragnar
05-07-2004, 12:01 AM
RUST Rebounding is all about timing and timing is the first thing to go with a long layoff. Plus the Heat knew they HAD to get pretty much every rebound to be in the game.

joro
05-07-2004, 12:06 AM
RUST Rebounding is all about timing and timing is the first thing to go with a long layoff. Plus the Heat knew they HAD to get pretty much every rebound to be in the game.

Good assessment, Ragnar!

More?

Ragnar
05-07-2004, 12:15 AM
I am not sure what we could have done better other than playinf Foster more. He got a lot of rebouns when he was in. I just think the Heat put it all out on the floor tonight and the Pacers timing was off.

I really think this was their best shot at winning a game. Dick Bavetta was here (but I guess playing Miami evens out the Bavetta effect since he has screwed them in the past too.) We were rusty and they had just come off an emotional win that had to give them confidence.

I could not believe that they were not putting ball pressure on AJ when he was in. Surely they have a scouting staff that should have told them that he could not handle it. Maybe they will figure that out but if they do I think we would go with Kenny. I just think this is going to be another sweep they just are not deep enough or big enough or talented enough.

Pat Riley teams always rebound and defend well. So for them to win the rebounding battle for a night is not that big of a suprise. Remember there was a story where before a playoff game Riley dunked his head in a bucket of ice water and held himself there for like 3 minutes. And after he came up he explained that the way he could do that was determination. You have to rebound like that you must want that rebound more than the other guy. You must realize that every rebound is important and be determined to get it. Of course tonight they won the rebound battle and lost the game by double digits.

Anthem
05-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Well, we got outrebounded 47-39, and the Warmth cleaned their own glass for SIXTEEN offensive boards.

Well, a lot of those were "Rodman Rebounds."

You know, where they get 4 rebounds in one possession before we finally secure the ball.

Second-chance points is a better indicator.

TheSauceMaster
05-07-2004, 12:21 AM

Well, a lot of those were "Rodman Rebounds."

You know, where they get 4 rebounds in one possession before we finally secure the ball.

Second-chance points is a better indicator.

Yep I can think of a few possesions where they , just kept poking the ball up 4 -5 times to pad those stats :laugh: But we did do a not so good job at blocking out , so we gotta shoulder some of the blame.

Peck
05-07-2004, 01:27 AM
I also attribute this to rust & to the fact that Miami was fighting hard to get the boards.

We played like crap & still won the game. This doesn't bode well for Miami.

Millerartest
05-08-2004, 03:22 AM
I attribute this to rust, and to a lack of rebounds from Jermaine Oneal that by his standards have been low the entire playoffs. He's not even among the top 20 in rebounding at 8 point something. His field goal percentage is also not that impressive.

I think Jermaine Oneal is one of the best power forwards in the league, and he's definitely an all-star, but all this talk about him being third in the voting for MVP is getting old. It's nothing more than him being regarded as the best player on the team with the best record, statistically speaking.

I'm not the first to suggest that Ron Artest is the MVP of this team, and thus far he has shown it in the playoffs. This message is in no way intended to take any credit away from Jermaine, but we are a team, a complete team, and I think he's actually been receiving the credit that some of the other guys deserve.

But it doesn't really matter much at this point. We'll see in the next round how he performs going up against someone who can shut him down. As long as the Pacers continue to play as a team, it shouldn't even be an issue. Though he definitely needs to bring his rebounding back up.