PDA

View Full Version : Odd thoughts about having our @sses stomped by the Cavs.

Peck
12-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Well I just watched the game on tape delay. Let's just say I won't be sleeping peacefully anytime soon.

I knew this was going to be rough going into this because honestly with the revenge factor & schedule it looked like an uphill battle to begin with.

But I never expected the cluster Muck that this became.

We started off looking horrid & it just went downhill from there.

This is one of those games where there is nothing to learn from, you just have to put this one out of your mind & move on to Mondays game & hope to bounce back in Chicago.

Let's deal with this up front.

Would JermaIne have made a differance in this game? Probably, but it would only have just been a mild blow out & not the total @ss kicking that we were handed.

What happened during that game went beyond what any one player could do. I don't think Michael Jordan could have salvaged us from that beating.

As to the Jackson thing? Hard to swallow that is for sure. He played so well last night & then he does this.

I will say this I am thrilled beyond belief that Rick sent him packing. My only real question to this is did Walsh or Bird go with the team on the road? Because if they did I hope they met Mr. Jackson in the locker room & continued to lecture him. Better yet I hope that they told him to go home & they would contact him if & when the team needed him.

I would have been willing to look at whether or not Carlisle was involved in a problem, but after reading the stars account of what happened I am behind Rick 100% on this. This is the same crap he did last season & the season before that actually got the fans booing him here at home.

I'll just sum up the good things from players real fast. Only Derrall Armstrong looked worth a damn.

What I saw from Jamaal Tinsley made me want to pluck my own eyes out of my head. The only thing worse than Jamaals game was the piece of crap game that Al Harrington put on the floor. Talk about useless on every level.

Saras spent the entire first half not knowing what to do, to which I do think I will fault Rick a little for here. There was zero offensive scheme going in the first quarter at all. We had no rhythmn & we had no direction.

The coach has to shoulder some of the blame for that.

Clevelands defense had something to do with it as well, but we were not aggresive at all.

Also could someone explain something to me. Why did the paper say that Rick wanted to match down to the Cavs. small lineup?

Big Z is north of 7', Varejao is a legit 6'10" & plays taller & James is 6'8" tall & built like a tank. How exactly is that a small lineup?

Why was Josh Powell activated for last nights game but not this one? Not that that would have made any differance but I'm just wondering.

I just do not understand Rick's fasination with small ball.

Oh well.

Can I just go on record now & say that I am dissapointed in M. Daniels? He's not a bad player & I like his defense. But I guess I thought we were getting more. I honestly thought he would be a super sub who would push for the 6th man of the year award & make us all wonder why he isn't starting.

To be honest there have been times I've been wondering why he is playing.

Like I said, it's not a real slap at him I guess I just had higher hopes. My fault I guess.

Orien Green did not make a case for him being any kind of passer in that game. Nor did he really instill me with confidence in his dribbling ability's. But I have to admit I like his body structure for a p.g.

Won't pass to much judgement based on this one game though. Nobody played right.

Baston also was underwhelming out there on the floor.

In fact I'm going to stop talking about the team & this game now. There is just nothing to talk about of value.

On the other hand though it's time to state that whoever is running this franchise (Bird, Walsh) really needs to examine whether or not this team doesn't need a transfusion of good character people in at the core positions.

Ok, maybe they can't or won't get rid of O'Neal. Should we really keep our starting back court?

It might not be fair to throw Jamaal into that mix right now because as far as we can tell as of now he has been a good soldier. But we all know the potential is there.

Also I do have one other small complaint & this is probably just petty on my part but I'll say it anyway.

Knowing that J.O. was going to be out for the last two games why didn't the team activate Shawne Williams for at least the home game & let him play 2-3 min. for the home town fans?

With J.O. back the guy will never see the floor so why not take advantage of him being out.

I think that the best way to look back at this game is through the eyes of Earl.

That's just the way the Pacers play sometimes, let's move along now.:-p

indygeezer
12-10-2006, 08:06 AM
What? No comment about the effort Harrison put forth in his mop-up time? At least he looked like he understood this was the time he was given to earn more minutes.

Unclebuck
12-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Also could someone explain something to me. Why did the paper say that Rick wanted to match down to the Cavs. small lineup?

Big Z is north of 7', Varejao is a legit 6'10" & plays taller & James is 6'8" tall & built like a tank. How exactly is that a small lineup?

Why was Josh Powell activated for last nights game but not this one? Not that that would have made any differance but I'm just wondering.

I just do not understand Rick's fasination with small ball.

Pacers are so slow on the perimeter that I don't blame the coach for trying to get some quickness in the game by going small. The Cavs were running a layup drill, beating us off the dribble and just running us off the court, so as a coach I think you try to get some quickness on the floor. That is why Rick went small and then of course when you trail by 20 points the whole game you have to go small.

speakout4
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Pacers are so slow on the perimeter that I don't blame the coach for trying to get some quickness in the game by going small. The Cavs were running a layup drill, beating us off the dribble and just running us off the court, so as a coach I think you try to get some quickness on the floor. That is why Rick went small and then of course when you trail by 20 points the whole game you have to go small.

Yes that's true but the rebounding outside of Foster's effort was non-existant. Perhaps Harrison could have played when it counted. Does Harrington not count as a big body?

D-BONE
12-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I think the loss is more on the recent schedule, back-to-back, and most importantly, the Cavs revenge motivation. I only wish JO would have played from the standpoint that it would have shown that our annoited franchise player would have made only a small difference in the outcome. On that, I agree with Peck.

The problem IMO is that the team's up and down performance is frustrating enough. Add to that the problem that there are not many guys that are truly and easily likeable IMO. Obviously there's Jack which goes without saying. Tins's play and outward effort on the court are frustratingly up and down. Not to mention the spectre of injury.

Saras has improved but was overhyped. JO has played great ball but is a guy that's been annoited as a franchise, superstar type but is really best suited to be the superstar support guy. A role I have serious doubts he'd be able to accept. Harrison and Daniels? Thoroughly unimpressive this year.

Armstrong, Foster, Granger, Baston. Only guys I can really say I like. All seem team-oriented and emotionally stable. Perhaps not the most talented or best players currently or in the future but at least more tolerable than most of our roster.

Winning solves this issue, of course. But I just can't see this team winning consistently the way it's put together. Fine, if TPTB want to let them struggle along 20 more games or so before seriously entertaining moves, if they do at all during this season. To me, it's just putting off the inevitable.

speakout4
12-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I think the loss is more on the recent schedule, back-to-back, and most importantly, the Cavs revenge motivation.

They stunk and no excuses as to schedule, Jax, etc. are acceptable period.

BlueNGold
12-10-2006, 10:41 AM
But I just can't see this team winning consistently the way it's put together. Fine, if TPTB want to let them struggle along 20 more games or so before seriously entertaining moves, if they do at all during this season. To me, it's just putting off the inevitable.

I agree. It is not going to get better until some significant moves are made. Our core, (Tinsley, Jack and JO) are all talented players. Not top 15, but at least JO is close. However, one way or another, none are reliable either physically or mentally (BOTH in Tinsley's case which is CRUCIAL since he is our starting PG). This team will continue to flounder until some intelligent moves are made in the front office...which might require some new thinking.

Unclebuck
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
The schedule is a real factor in last night's lackluster effort. You may not like that as an excuse but the Pacers haven't had more than 1 day off between games since November 19th - and that is a real factor. I always figure 1 day off between games keeps the status quo - but when you get two days off you have a chance to regroup mentally and physically - and it is obvious to me this Pacers team isn't capable of overcoming those hurdles.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying - the good teams overcome tough stretches of the schedule - and the Pacers are just an average team

speakout4
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
The schedule is a real factor in last night's lackluster effort. You may not like that as an excuse but the Pacers haven't had more than 1 day off between games since November 19th - and that is a real factor. I always figure 1 day off between games keeps the status quo - but when you get two days off you have a chance to regroup mentally and physically - and it is obvious to me this Pacers team isn't capable of overcoming those hurdles.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying - the good teams overcome tough stretched of the schedule - and the Pacers are an average team

I buy losing and being overmatched but not showing up or showing pride? Only one guy acted as if he cared and that was DA. The way LeBron was celebrating his easy layups should have motivated the Pacers. In the old days LeBron would have at least gotten a few elbows to the ribs.

Kegboy
12-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Two things:

- Boy, I'm sure glad Gooden didn't play. Then it really could have been embarrassing. ;)

- Okay, I'll accept these "schedule loses" on one condition. When things lighten up in the spring we darksiders can call everything a "schedule win". :-p

ABADays
12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Being blown out was a surprise. The loss wasn't. Cleveland is a better team and should have won on its home court. We are at .500 which is what I expect for the whole year. It's just gonna be that kind of season.

Unclebuck
12-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Two things:

- Boy, I'm sure glad Gooden didn't play. Then it really could have been embarrassing. ;)

- Okay, I'll accept these "schedule loses" on one condition. When things lighten up in the spring we darksiders can call everything a "schedule win". :-p

Fair enough, I know I will expect 100% effort during that stretch

Look at the late January and Febuary schedule. Pacers play 14 out of 17 games at home over a 42 day stretch. (by comparison the Pacers are in the middle of a 16 games in 27 days) And they only play 2 back to backs. I won't expect them to win every game, but I expect 100% effort in all those games.

Just a thought on scheduling in general. Teams play all type of back to back games. road-road. Home-road. Road -home. But they never play back to back home games. Why is that - just stupid - the overall quality of play would really increase

Naptown_Seth
12-10-2006, 02:08 PM

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying - the good teams overcome tough stretches of the schedule - and the Pacers are just an average team
I haven't had the chance to watch the Tivo of this yet, but I will say that when I saw the Pacers flying to Cleveland and the Cavs with 2 days rest since their last game which was also at home I thought "that might be trouble".

I didn't expect the score I saw, especially in the first quarter, but the Cavs were favored by 8 coming into the game for a reason. Hopefully most of us could have lived with a 6-10 point loss and the frustration is just Jack mouthing off and the overall size of the final difference.

Peck's notes sure don't have me excited to watch this dud, but after the Colts game I'll do it.

Unclebuck
12-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I haven't had the chance to watch the Tivo of this yet, but I will say that when I saw the Pacers flying to Cleveland and the Cavs with 2 days rest since their last game which was also at home I thought "that might be trouble".

I didn't expect the score I saw, especially in the first quarter, but the Cavs were favored by 8 coming into the game for a reason. Hopefully most of us could have lived with a 6-10 point loss and the frustration is just Jack mouthing off and the overall size of the final difference.

Peck's notes sure don't have me excited to watch this dud, but after the Colts game I'll do it.

I think it was worse than the Nuggets game and we know that was pretty bad. There was a great 2 minutes from DA though. If you want something while you're watching to keep your mind occupied, count how many dunks and laups the Cavs get

Alabama-Redneck
12-10-2006, 05:22 PM
As bad as the Pacers looked last night, the Colts looked worse today.

Is there just bad karma in Indy right now ??? :hmm:

I can not remember both teams playing this bad at the same time. :blush: :-o :confused:

:cool:

Shade
12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Why did the paper say that Rick wanted to match down to the Cavs. small lineup?

:banghead:

speakout4
12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
As bad as the Pacers looked last night, the Colts looked worse today.

Is there just bad karma in Indy right now ??? :hmm:

I can not remember both teams playing this bad at the same time. :blush: :-o :confused:

:cool:
Last weekend they both lost.

quiller
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM
"Saras spent the entire first half not knowing what to do, to which I do think I will fault Rick a little for here. There was zero offensive scheme going in the first quarter at all. We had no rhythmn & we had no direction.

The coach has to shoulder some of the blame for that."

I would actually have liked to see a tape of the game... to me what was quoted here speaks to two things.... one.... JO not in the game... should have used the same starting line up as against Portland... two... just when do they have time to do a offensive scheme just for this game when your playing back to back your now on the road and playing 9 games in 14... you have to give the team time to rest when not playing games and traveling or they will burn out by end of the year... sometimes these things happen especially with a team that hasn't been playing together for a long time and your missing one of your top players... what sucks is now we have to play another tough road game against a team favored to win it all this year to begin... we might loose that game also and every one will be jumping on the we suck band wagon.. but realisticly looking at the schedule... does any one think going in we were going to win many road games at Cleveland and at Chicago ????? I would say no... so relax and lets not get to high with the wins and down with the losses.... hopefully well make it to 46 or 48 wins and first round at home...

quiller
12-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I think it was worse than the Nuggets game and we know that was pretty bad. There was a great 2 minutes from DA though. If you want something while you're watching to keep your mind occupied, count how many dunks and laups the Cavs get

sorry this might be a double post.. but gee wonder what we were missing .. only the person second in the league in blocks who has been playing great interior D all year with collecting a number of charges.... hmmmmm