PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to guard Bender?

ROCislandWarrior
05-05-2004, 04:33 PM
seriously, I was just thinking about this.

If O'neal Guards Odom, he will try to pull him away from the hoop so we have no shot blocking.

IF we can get Bender in there, he can block shots.

On the Offensive end, who on the Heat is going to guard him?

Odom can't, JB is taller and quicker
Grant can't even touch Bender

Everyone else is too small

I could see Bender playing very very well and having a "Tayshaun Prince" type breakout.

The Heat are small inside, why not go with O'neal, Harrington and Bender a lot?

Ragnar
05-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Odom is only a couple of inches shorter than Bender. So when they are both in the game I expect Odom to be on him.

Arcadian
05-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Odom is very versitile. In fact the clippers would use him at point at times. He really is a SF and plays out of position in Miami.

I would expect that Odom would be one of the better suited players in the league to guard Bender. Odom would have much more trouble with JO, Ron or Al because they are stronger players.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Odom is only a couple of inches shorter than Bender. So when they are both in the game I expect Odom to be on him.

Especially since Bender still plays like he's 6'8". That's a compliment, btw, because the last couple years he played more like he was 6'5".

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Bender is a matchup nightmare. I would put a physical and yet shorter defender on Bender.

pacers have two great guys to defend Bender, Artest and AL. Most teams don't have players like that

Kegboy
05-05-2004, 05:53 PM
To guard Bender when he's feelin' it, you need a long, super-athletic guy who still has the strength to bang him around whenever possible. Odom's not ideal, but he's close, and certainly alot better than what most teams have to throw at him.

And if you're wondering who the ideal is, he picked up some trophy last night.

indygeezer
05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
To guard Bender when he's feelin' it, you need a long, super-athletic guy who still has the strength to bang him around whenever possible. Odom's not ideal, but he's close, and certainly alot better than what most teams have to throw at him.

If he's "feelin' it", ain't NOOOOoooobody gonna beat the P's. He just gives us too many options. Couple him with JO, RA, and a PG that knows how to distribute and look out world Bill Walton will be all over his dictionary lookin' for new words.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 06:35 PM

I saw JO trying to pick up a trophy last night, but the trophy's dad seemed like he might grab a shotgun. Redneck dads :shudders: ... makes me glad I'm married.

beast23
05-05-2004, 07:14 PM
I hardly think that the Heat are expending many thoughts about who the hell is going to guard Bender.

Bender is our 8th or 9th man for Pete's sake. Behind Al and either AJ or Kenny, depending on who will get the minutes. And depending on where we are in the game, when Jeff comes out and Al is already in the game, Austin is likely to get the nod to match up against Grant, since Austin is able to guard Grant while also being able to draw him away from the basket on our offensive end.

The Heat's backcourt provides challenges for us. But as mismatched as our starting guards are against their backcourt speed, that's how mismatched their ENTIRE TEAM is against any lineup we throw out there in the frontcourt.

To me, the only way the Heat are in this series is if we do a poor job in transition defense or we commit a horrendous number of turnovers. We should not just control, but actually dominate the paint and the boards both offensively and defensively in the halfcourt.

Shade
05-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Like I said a looooong time ago, we should put Bender on Odom if Odom starts to be a problem. Bender is too tall and versatile for Odom to handle on either end.

If Bender plays to his capabilities, nothing can stop him. Except his knee. Or his back. Or a sharp breeze. ;)

Kegboy
05-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I hardly think that the Heat are expending many thoughts about who the hell is going to guard Bender.

He's our 4th leading scorer in the playoffs. Miami better be thinking about him.