PDA

View Full Version : Hamstring to keep O誰eal out of 2 games

imawhat
12-08-2006, 12:14 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061208/SPORTS04/61208034

Hamstring to keep O誰eal out of 2 games
By Mark Montieth
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write(''+'mark.montieth'+'@'+'indystar.co m'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/+)');//--></SCRIPT>mark.montieth@indystar.com (mark.montieth@indystar.com)

Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal will miss tonight's home game against Portland and Saturday's game at Cleveland with a strained left hamstring.

O'Neal tweaked the hamstring last Friday at Seattle and aggravated it in Wednesday's victory over Orlando.

"I feel like I can play, but they feel like it's better for me to rest it right now," O'Neal said. "They just don't want it to get serious."

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said Maceo Baston will start tonight in O'Neal's place.

David Harrison, who has been out with a strained left shoulder, will be activated.

McKeyFan
12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Trade in the works?

Jermaniac
12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Trade in the works?His hamstring hurts in the works?

Lets see if we are better with out Jermaine. Home against the Blazers, should win by 10 at least.

imawhat
12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Trade in the works?

He hurt it about 5 games ago.

Frank Slade
12-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Well if that is the case , I'd rather he play it extra cautious, and not pull something else like last year , when he pulled a groin muscle due to favoring one leg. :(

Destined4Greatness
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, who predicted this, damn who was that. I remember he got flamed for being a troll. And being pessimistic, I guess like he claimed he was just being realistic.

Isaac
12-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hmmm, who predicted this, damn who was that. I remember he got flamed for being a troll. And being pessimistic, I guess like he claimed he was just being realistic.

You are a troll. Better for Jermaine to sit against a bad team and then one more game to rest up and be healthy then for it to turn in to a bigger problem.

Peck
12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I've never looked more forward to two regular season games in my life.

odeez
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Great! :blush:

Trader Joe
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Trade in the works?

(conspiracy theory)AI is sitting out Philly's game too. (/conspiracy theory)

Destined4Greatness
12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
You are a troll. Better for Jermaine to sit against a bad team and then one more game to rest up and be healthy then for it to turn in to a bigger problem.

You act as if we win more games with JO. And no I am not a troll, I am simply not a JO fanboy, well maybe on this board that does make me a troll. but to people that aren't in love with JO I am just, right.

Trader Joe
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
You act as if we win more games with JO. And no I am not a troll, I am simply not a JO fanboy, well maybe on this board that does make me a troll. but to people that aren't in love with JO I am just, right.

This season we have lost the only game JO has missed...

Destined4Greatness
12-08-2006, 01:24 PM
This season we have lost the only game JO has missed...

OMG a 1 game sample space. Well I mean, damn. You can't beat a one game sample space.

Isaac
12-08-2006, 01:27 PM

No, you aren't not a JO fanboy, I'm not a JO fanboy. I yell at Jermaine to box out, I get angry when he doesn't shoot well, and I hold him to an extremely high standard, and when he doesn't live up to it I get angry.

You are a blind hater of Jermaine. No matter what he does you will find something wrong with it, or never admit that you were wrong. I hate people like you because you have an agenda that isn't just simply to root for the Pacers. You want everyone to know how smart you are and you are glad when things like this happen to our best player.

I've never put anyone on ignore, but you are going to be the first.

Just
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Leave it to D4G to turn a thread into a ****fest... really, it gets old.

Unclebuck
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I've always suggested that JO play 15 games and then take 5 games off and so forth throughout the entire season and he'll be OK for the playoffs.

bnd45
12-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't agree with the logic that it's best to sit him because we are playing a "bad" team. In case anyone hasn't noticed, these aren't the 2000 Indiana Pacers we're talking about. We need all the wins we can get right now, especially at home. Portland played us tough and really dominated the stretch of the game when JO left to re-tape his ankle. Obviously I hope we can win without him, but I don't think we're good enough for precautionary DNP's from JO.

Isaac
12-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Leave it to D4G to turn a thread into a ****fest... really, it gets old.

I apologize for taking his bait, it just pisses me off when people so clearly care more about proving their point right then the team. He would obviously rather have a bad team because of Jermaine being hurt/playing poorly, then to see Jermaine succeed and lead us to a championship.

Moses
12-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I apologize for taking his bait, it just pisses me off when people so clearly care more about proving their point right then the team. He would obviously rather have a bad team because of Jermaine being hurt/playing poorly, then to see Jermaine succeed and lead us to a championship.
You don't need to appologize. I know exactly what you mean. I generally just ignore his posts unless it does not pertain to his biased opinion of JO.

I don't blame the Pacers for sitting JO for a few games. In the past, they would have played him and he would have seriously injured his hammy and been out for a month. I'm glad we are choosing to sit him against two pretty bad teams we could probably beat without JO.

Naptown_Seth
12-08-2006, 01:57 PM
You are aware that crow is a pretty nasty dish, right?

Luckily it's POR first at least.

As for the fans that wouldn't rather see players injured to prove a point or something, it probably is better to be cautious at this point.

And the I called it crap...I did too. I said "I bet most players in the NBA don't actually play in all 82 games this year".

:brilliant

jcouts
12-08-2006, 02:08 PM
this would be the main reason Al Harrington was brought back to the Pacers

Bball
12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I've always suggested that JO play 15 games and then take 5 games off and so forth throughout the entire season and he'll be OK for the playoffs.

If I had a boss I'd like to suggest that scenario to him. Make me the highest paid guy in the business and give me 5 biz days off for every 15 I work. I like it! ;)

Peck
12-08-2006, 02:57 PM
You are aware that crow is a pretty nasty dish, right?

Luckily it's POR first at least.

As for the fans that wouldn't rather see players injured to prove a point or something, it probably is better to be cautious at this point.

And the I called it crap...I did too. I said "I bet most players in the NBA don't actually play in all 82 games this year".

:brilliant

Why would I eat crow?

I don't care if we win or lose, well I do but that is a differant point, I just prefer to watch the game be played a differant style than others.

So as long as we compete & our players try hard I will be happy. So there will be no crow eaten by me.

BTW, I am not wanting anyone hurt to prove a point (I don't know if that was directed at me or not but since I'm here) I just happen to prefer the way the team plays without a certain player. Again, win or lose.

Bball
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM

...Careful treading there...

It can be used against you.

With JO out a game or two we won't be revamping the system but instead might just throw someone into the "JO role". So with a one or two game sample we might not get too much info. ...Tho it's always possible the player in the "JO role" will actually be a little more team motivated and all of a sudden some of our backcourt 'problems' will disappear.

-Bball

Phildog
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Say what you say but his presence in the middle will be missed.

indygeezer
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM

I've been holding my breath an awfully long time waiting for that to happen.

MagicRat
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM

If you're as excited as you say you are, I fully expect to see you unfold your arms at least twice and maybe stand and cheer once..........:-p

ChicagoJ
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM
If you're as excited as you say you are, I fully expect to see you unfold your arms at least twice and maybe stand and cheer once..........:-p

And if that actually happens, I expect a full report, with illustrations.

pizza guy
12-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Say what you say but his presence in the middle will be missed.

I like Baston, but a 20/10/4/4 guy he is not. JO missing time is bad, no matter what kind of style you like to watch. He is the best player on this team, and he makes a HUGE difference on BOTH ends of the floor. To be "glad" that he is sitting out is simply mistaken. This seems like it is directly solely at Peck, but it's not, there's a lot of anti-JO posters that this applies to. I generally like to read what is posted by these folks when it doesn't concern JO because it is simply blind hate. Sitting him against Portland takes this from a game that would generally be considered easy to one that will be tough. Yeah, Portland. We are that bad without JO.

And, D4G, I think you're talking about hoopsforlife that called it. Not only did he predict that JO would get injured and miss time, but that Baston would start in his place. I'm looking for a link, though I'm not entirely sure it's on here. I remember the conversation distinctly, though.

Jermaniac
12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Why would I eat crow?

I don't care if we win or lose, well I do but that is a differant point, I just prefer to watch the game be played a differant style than others.

So as long as we compete & our players try hard I will be happy. So there will be no crow eaten by me.

BTW, I am not wanting anyone hurt to prove a point (I don't know if that was directed at me or not but since I'm here) I just happen to prefer the way the team plays without a certain player. Again, win or lose.Lol I dont care if we win or lose, thats great.

CableKC
12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
The way I look at it is that SJax, Granger, Tinsley and Harrington will simply get more shots.

On top of that...I hope that Sarunas can get some playing time with Baston so that we can see what they can do together.

pizza guy
12-08-2006, 06:22 PM
The way I look at it is that SJax, Granger, Tinsley and Harrington will simply get more shots.

On top of that...I hope that Sarunas can get some playing time with Baston so that we can see what they can do together.

That is actually what my first thought was. I'd love to see these two get real, extensive minutes together. Those calling for Sarunas to start would probably agree that now would be the best time to do it; and I would imagine some folks that have been against the idea wouldn't turn it down with Baston being in the lineup.

ALF68
12-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Why would I eat crow?

BTW, I am not wanting anyone hurt to prove a point (I don't know if that was directed at me or not but since I'm here) I just happen to prefer the way the team plays without a certain player. Again, win or lose.
Actually, crow is not too bad of a dish. I have some Indian friends that tell me that it tastes like chicken. I with you on this one, I enjoy watching the Pacers sans JO.

Moses
12-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Some potential bad news here.

The sore left hamstring of Jermaine O'Neal has a possible tear and will keep him out of tonight's game against the Trail Blazers.
While elaborating, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said an MRI test revealed that O'Neal's hamstring "has the beginnings of a possible tear and significant swelling." This comes as potentially terrible news for fantasy owners that reaped the benefits after taking a chance on O'Neal, who missed 31 games last season due to injury. Carlisle added, "We're hopeful that by addressing this now it can preclude us from having to deal with something long term." Maceo Baston is making the start tonight in place of O'Neal. Dec. 8 - 6:55 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=432

gilpdawg
12-08-2006, 07:38 PM

What's the big deal? Players get nicked up every year! The problem is when you get the long-term injuries. Guys are gonna sprain ankles and pull muscles occasionally. Sit a game or two, and come back strong.

I'll say you're right if JO has another 8 week injury this year.

BlueNGold
12-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I'll say you're right if JO has another 8 week injury this year.

The question is not if, but when.

This is not the first game he has missed this year...and the season just got started. As the season goes on, he is bound to get a more severe injury and be laid up for a longer period.

You might think he just likes to wear a suit, but I say the man is not durable at all. He is also not that much better than Al Harrington...a PF that could easily take his place on this team.

It's time to look at moving #7 before he comes up lame in April again. He is just not worth 18M a year.

rexnom
12-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Can JO fail first? Can he get injured first? Please? Don't act like he hasn't been the MVP of this team thus far.

BlueNGold
12-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Can JO fail first? Can he get injured first? Please? Don't act like he hasn't been the MVP of this team thus far.

I don't want to wait. Once that happens, and I think it will, his stock will drop further. It would be a great time to move him since we got Al back.

....and I'll go with the idea JO is the MVP of this team...however, I'll add that the difference in Al and JO is much more in terms of their contracts. Let's just say if they were both sitting on the shelf, I'd be buying AH and invest the rest.

Whether its JO's shoulder, ankle or hamstring...or worse, his knee...something will come up. It is not a good thing to have a franchise player who is this injury prone.

He reminds me of Allan Houston more every day.

pizza guy
12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I like Baston, but a 20/10/4/4 guy he is not. JO missing time is bad, no matter what kind of style you like to watch. He is the best player on this team, and he makes a HUGE difference on BOTH ends of the floor. To be "glad" that he is sitting out is simply mistaken. This seems like it is directly solely at Peck, but it's not, there's a lot of anti-JO posters that this applies to. I generally like to read what is posted by these folks when it doesn't concern JO because it is simply blind hate. Sitting him against Portland takes this from a game that would generally be considered easy to one that will be tough. Yeah, Portland. We are that bad without JO.

And, D4G, I think you're talking about hoopsforlife that called it. Not only did he predict that JO would get injured and miss time, but that Baston would start in his place. I'm looking for a link, though I'm not entirely sure it's on here. I remember the conversation distinctly, though.

http://history.amusement-parks.com/Indiana%20Beach/Media%20Day/ibcrow2.jpg

Does anyone have any Grey Poupon? A-1 might be good...

EDIT: If you're wondering, the crow is pulled from Indiana Beach, the "exciting" amusement park in my hometown. "There's more than corn in Indiana!"