PDA

View Full Version : 2,700 tickets available for games #1 and #2

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 08:39 AM
I won't say too much about this as I said a lot on this topic during the first round. I do wonder what the excuse is going to be this round. Oh wait the Friend's finale is on Thursday, surprised anyone will be at Conseco during the FF. Many of the "excuses" that were used in the first round won't be valid again in the second.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/143766-6336-036.html

Despite posting the best record during the NBA's regular season and sweeping Boston in the first round of the playoffs, the Indiana Pacers face the likelihood of a third non-sellout at Conseco Fieldhouse when they return to action Thursday night.

Approximately 2,700 tickets remained unsold Tuesday for both Game 1 and Game 2 of the second-round series against Miami. Game 2 is Saturday night.

"I'm a little disappointed," guard Reggie Miller said after practice. "This has always been a basketball state, a basketball town. Our faithful are here, but I remember back in the day when this was the hardest ticket in town to get.

"We've got to hold up our end of the bargain. If we continue to win, then I'm sure people will come out."

Forward Al Harrington hopes fans are looking ahead.

"They're going to come," he said. "I guess they're saving their money for the (NBA) Finals."

Shade
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM

"They're going to come," he said. "I guess they're saving their money for the (NBA) Finals."

That's my excuse right there. I have very little $ right now and would rather pay more for a big game than less for two "speedbump" games.

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 08:56 AM

That's my excuse right there. I have very little $ right now and would rather pay more for a big game than less for two "speedbump" games.

That is the only valid excuse I am willing to accept.

I do wonder however, if you aren't taking a bit of a gamble, Pacers can lose this series.

BillS
05-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Let me just add this.

In order for all the games to be sold out, people need to have been able to plan ahead and to be excited about the upcoming game.

The layoff just destroyed any sense of excitement. After 11 days, only the hard-core fans are still focused on the playoffs, and that because we've been keeping in by watching the other games.

At least we had a week notice instead of 4 days this time as to when the game would be, but even a week just isn't enough for people who have the kind of jobs where they can afford decent tickets to the games. If I was in Indy instead of down here in Atlanta (and that's my excuse, UB, I'm afraid $1400 for two plane tickets and two seats is a little steep for anything less than the NBA Finals - why 2? Because my wife would kill me if I went without her - one of many reasons I love her but it makes for expensive road trips) I might only be able to make 1 game per round. If the scheduling is bad, I simply could not make it to any of the games.

Sure, it would be fantastic if we could sell 18000 tickets for every game, but there's an easy way for the Pacers organization to do that - how about half price tickets starting 30 minutes before the game, box office only, first-come-first-serve? How about giving season ticket holders an easy way to put their seats back into circulation on a night they can't or won't come?

To be honest, I'd rather see an attendance of 15000 where the die-hard fans get a chance to sit in the lower bowl where the corporate geeks can't or won't make the game than an attendance of 18000 where all the suits are in the lower section only making noise for T-shirts and giveaways.

Believe me, if the Pacer organization was worried about attendance, they'd be doing something about it. You should see the frantic lengths they go to down here ...

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Sure, it would be fantastic if we could sell 18000 tickets for every game, but there's an easy way for the Pacers organization to do that - how about half price tickets starting 30 minutes before the game, box office only, first-come-first-serve?

The half price thing sounds good in theory. But that is not fair to season ticket holders who paid full price. How would you like to be a season ticket holder, who paid full price and then have someone sit right next to you, who just bought their ticket 10 minutes before game time and they paid half price.

And if the Pacers did set the precedent of doing the half price thing, what to do you some season ticket holder would do next season, thinking, why should I shell out full price when they might discount the tickets, that would hurt ticket sales in the long run.

I hope Marsh or some other corp buys up 100's of tickets and gives them to military personnel like they did for game #2 of the first round

BillS
05-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Sure, it would be fantastic if we could sell 18000 tickets for every game, but there's an easy way for the Pacers organization to do that - how about half price tickets starting 30 minutes before the game, box office only, first-come-first-serve?

The half price thing sounds good in theory. But that is not fair to season ticket holders who paid full price. How would you like to be a season ticket holder, who paid full price and then have someone sit right next to you, who just bought their ticket 10 minutes before game time and they paid half price.

And if the Pacers did set the precedent of doing the half price thing, what to do you some season ticket holder would do next season, thinking, why should I shell out full price when they might discount the tickets, that would hurt ticket sales in the long run.

I hope Marsh or some other corp buys up 100's of tickets and gives them to military personnel like they did for game #2 of the first round

Happens all the time in the theatre - every major city theatre district sells half price tickets the afternoon of the show. How does a guy feel if he pays a few hundred bucks to see "The Producers" on Broadway just to find out someone lucked into a single seat for $50 the night of the show? He feels damn lucky he had a seat because there were only a few tickets left if any.

You buy your season tickets so you have the same seat and are guaranteed to get into every game. What if you really wanted to see a game and waited until the last minute only to find it was sold out? Your season ticket prevents that from happening to you. Your season ticket also keeps you from paying big scalper bucks for game 7 of the NBA finals.

I think most season ticket holders are not going to decide whether or not to buy tickets based on the fact that they might be able to get a single ticket cheaper here or there - if that were the case, many wouldn't buy season tickets now because you can get tickets pretty cheap if you wait until 10 minutes into a non-sold-out game. In other words, I don't think money is the complete motivator. If it hurt anything, it would hurt the 10-game packages - but include a game or two in the packages that are likely to be sold out and there's a huge motivation to buy them.

I'll ask the question - if you thought you could buy tickets at the door 30 minutes before the game for half price for some of the games, would you give up your season ticket? Remember, it means you have to show up and stand in line because you can't just call Ticketmaster. Also, which would you rather have - an empty seat next to you that kept your prices high or a seat filled with a fan yelling for the Pacers?

Think of it this way - it basically is a form of tiered pricing, only one that makes no assumptions at the beginning of the season or the beginning of the playoffs as to how popular an opponent is going to be.

(edited - changed "sold-out game" to "non-sold-out game" above)

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 09:47 AM

Happens all the time in the theatre - every major city theatre district sells half price tickets the afternoon of the show. How does a guy feel if he pays a few hundred bucks to see "The Producers" on Broadway just to find out someone lucked into a single seat for $50 the night of the show? He feels damn lucky he had a seat because there were only a few tickets left if any.

You buy your season tickets so you have the same seat and are guaranteed to get into every game. What if you really wanted to see a game and waited until the last minute only to find it was sold out? Your season ticket prevents that from happening to you. Your season ticket also keeps you from paying big scalper bucks for game 7 of the NBA finals.

I think most season ticket holders are not going to decide whether or not to buy tickets based on the fact that they might be able to get a single ticket cheaper here or there - if that were the case, many wouldn't buy season tickets now because you can get tickets pretty cheap if you wait until 10 minutes into a non-sold-out game. In other words, I don't think money is the complete motivator. If it hurt anything, it would hurt the 10-game packages - but include a game or two in the packages that are likely to be sold out and there's a huge motivation to buy them.

I'll ask the question - if you thought you could buy tickets at the door 30 minutes before the game for half price for some of the games, would you give up your season ticket? Remember, it means you have to show up and stand in line because you can't just call Ticketmaster. Also, which would you rather have - an empty seat next to you that kept your prices high or a seat filled with a fan yelling for the Pacers?

Think of it this way - it basically is a form of tiered pricing, only one that makes no assumptions at the beginning of the season or the beginning of the playoffs as to how popular an opponent is going to be.

(edited - changed "sold-out game" to "non-sold-out game" above)

I agree with Bill. I didn't give up my season tickets when I moved out of town so that I'd still have guaranteed playoff seats. Of course, unlike Bill, I'm within driving distance and I can sleep on my parent's sofa sleeper, so it only costs me gasoline (although that ain't cheap right now) and lost sleep.

I bought my first season-ticket account the day after I couldn't get a seat to game #6 of the 1994 ECFs - and that's one of the few Pacers NBA playoff games I've ever missed attending in person. I'm even willing to tolerate letting a few regular season games go unused (if my buddy that's in town gets stuck at work) just to keep a guaranteed playoff seat.

I'd rather have corporations buy the tickets and donate them to the Boys and Girls Clubs, or the YMCA, or military personnel, etc. but I also think the balcony seats - when sold as a season ticket package, could be sold for a little less per game (than when sold as individual game tickets) and still improve the Pacers' top line.

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Good points BillS, and you're are correct.

Although one of the biggest reasons why I bought season tickets starting in 1995, was because during the 1994 playoffs I had trouble getting tickets. And I must admit with attendence falling off for these playoff games, I am having second thoughts about renewing my season tickets for next season, and if I thought I could get discounted tickets at the last minute that would make me even less likely to buy season tickets.

I can be very flexible about when and how I buy tickets and when I decide to go to a game.

One other thing, all money is not the same. Season ticket money is worth more to a sports team. They get the money well in advance, so they can earn interest, plus with season ticket money they know how many people will be there and that helps them charge more for advertising.

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 09:53 AM
I bought my first season-ticket account the day after I couldn't get a seat to game #6 of the 1994 ECFs - and that's one of the few Pacers NBA playoff games I've ever missed attending in person. I'm even willing to tolerate letting a few regular season games go unused (if my buddy that's in town gets stuck at work) just to keep a guaranteed playoff seat.

I'd rather have corporations buy the tickets and donate them to the Boys and Girls Clubs, or the YMCA, or military personnel, etc. but I also think the balcony seats - when sold as a season ticket package, could be sold for a little less per game (than when sold as individual game tickets) and still improve the Pacers' top line.

I wonder if we were separated at birth.

Agree completely that the balcony tickets are overpriced. Even though they have not been raised since they moved to Conseco, and a few have been lowered, they should lower the prices up there, especially for season ticket holders. I would slash them 25% across the board

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 10:00 AM

Agree completely that the balcony tickets are overpriced. Even though they have not been raised since they moved to Conseco, and a few have been lowered, they should lower the prices up there, especially for season ticket holders. I would slash them 25% across the board

I'm tellin' ya, October of 1969 was a *fine* time to be born.

:angel:

EDIT - I think my regular season ticket prices have increased a little bit. What was especially bad was the first year. I'm in row 11, and I'd like to sit in a lower seat in the balcony. But during the first season, row 11 was $15 bucks a seat and row 10 was $30 bucks a seat. Everybody that sat right in front of me was just fuming over thier ticket price all year - and there were no renewals. Let me tell you there was definitely not a $15 difference in quality from one row to the next. I've heard that they've now changed the "dividing line" to something like row seven or eight, but I don't want to move just a couple rows closer and significantly increase the amount I pay per game.

DisplacedKnick
05-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I was pretty surprised at seeing the number of tix left myself. Heck, I'm not even a Pacers fan but I may get some nosebleed tix for Game 2 (no way I can make game 1).

I think the Heat are overmatched physically but I like how they play. I like how Indy plays too. Chance to see some pretty good basketball IMO.

And I guarandamntee that I'll make at least one Pistons-Pacers game. Those should be fun! (Yeah, getting ahead of things but I just don't see any other outcome unless there's a huge injury situation with either).

MagicRat
05-05-2004, 10:05 AM

I'm tellin' ya, October of 1969 was a *fine* time to be born.

:angel:

I'm sure that was *fine*, but not as great as <cue Bryan Adams> "the summer, the summer, the summer of '69"..............

MagicRat
05-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Tell me another story, Grandpa!

:stretch:

Pipe down, newbie........ :P

Peck
05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Let me just add this.

In order for all the games to be sold out, people need to have been able to plan ahead and to be excited about the upcoming game.

The layoff just destroyed any sense of excitement. After 11 days, only the hard-core fans are still focused on the playoffs, and that because we've been keeping in by watching the other games.

At least we had a week notice instead of 4 days this time as to when the game would be, but even a week just isn't enough for people who have the kind of jobs where they can afford decent tickets to the games. If I was in Indy instead of down here in Atlanta (and that's my excuse, UB, I'm afraid $1400 for two plane tickets and two seats is a little steep for anything less than the NBA Finals - why 2? Because my wife would kill me if I went without her - one of many reasons I love her but it makes for expensive road trips) I might only be able to make 1 game per round. If the scheduling is bad, I simply could not make it to any of the games.

Sure, it would be fantastic if we could sell 18000 tickets for every game, but there's an easy way for the Pacers organization to do that - how about half price tickets starting 30 minutes before the game, box office only, first-come-first-serve? How about giving season ticket holders an easy way to put their seats back into circulation on a night they can't or won't come?

To be honest, I'd rather see an attendance of 15000 where the die-hard fans get a chance to sit in the lower bowl where the corporate geeks can't or won't make the game than an attendance of 18000 where all the suits are in the lower section only making noise for T-shirts and giveaways.

Believe me, if the Pacer organization was worried about attendance, they'd be doing something about it. You should see the frantic lengths they go to down here ...

But isn't that a problem right there? The Pacers org. shouldn't have to worry about attendance in the second round of the playoffs when they have the best team in the entire league.

Of course the Hawks go to great lengths to sell tickets. Their team sucks & has for years. But this is the best team in franchise history (per record anyway) & has a legit chance at the finals. The Pacers should be making apologies to fans who can't attend the games because tickets sold out so fast. Not trying to come up with gimicks to sell tickets.

BTW, just for the record I understand some people can't go for financial reason. That is a perfectly legit reason. Work is also an excuse & even a family thing.

But in the entire state of Indiana & some from central Ohio & Il. you mean we can't get 3,000 people. The fieldhouse is sold to about 14,000 or so automatically so that leaves 3-5000 people to come from the area.

DisplacedKnick
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Since we've already done this entire thread before, and the game hasn't even happened yet, let's talk about something that was just brought up: Pacers marketing. Is it just me, or was this the worst marketing year you've ever seen? I didn't see a single thing regarding the Pacers for marketing the entire season in Bloomington, and that's pathetic (especially since we have the Indy cable package). They usually do a half-way decent job with promos, but other than about 2 weeks of those "Home game doesn't mean......." commercials, I haven't seen anything. THAT'S sad. It doesn't matter what the teams record is. As a company, the Pacers should still be promoting the product. Hell, they should be doing it particularly BECUASE of the team's reocrd. Maybe they did a better job with the local press up in Indy?

I have never understood why they don't play an exhibition game at Assembly and another at Mackey each Oct - at the very least.

I've had the same gripe about the Colts but they're having their spring camp at Ball State so maybe they're seeing the light.

I have a friend in LaGrange I visit now and then and it seems like everyone up there is a Pistons/Lions fan. That shouldn't happen - especially for anyone under about 20.

Natston
05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
There are no 14 dollar tickets available for either game... :( Count me out... :cry:

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Its interesting to note the large number of people that "gave up" on the Pacers over the past three years and said, "I'll come back when they're winning again." I guess they aren't coming back?

I thought the rule of thumb was "if a team was a winner, the fans would come automatically." If the rules have changed, I think the Pacers marketing strategy will adjust. But they may not have changed - they may just be stretched over a longer time horizon because of overriding economic concerns.

Let's not fool ourselves, basketball is a luxury item (man, that's hard for me to say because in my world its a necessity). If you're marketing a luxury item, you must spend your advertising dollar very wisely during the down portion of the economic cycle.

Now, their specific marketing campaign this year may not have been be very good. I thought "home game doesn't mean stay home" was pretty bad, myself. But I also thought it was better than what we had to endure in the 1980s - which was "come see the stars of the NBA play in MSA" which encouraged fans of other teams to grab all the seats and may have contributed to the electric atmosphere of the 1991 playoffs when a large portion of the paying crowd learned that MSA wasn't "Boston Garden West" and that the team wearing white was the Pacers and Chuck Person was the goodguy and for that week Larry Bird = Satan. Ooops, I digressed into another 'I hate the Celtics' monologue. :blush:

BillS
05-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Since we've already done this entire thread before, and the game hasn't even happened yet, let's talk about something that was just brought up: Pacers marketing. Is it just me, or was this the worst marketing year you've ever seen? I didn't see a single thing regarding the Pacers for marketing the entire season in Bloomington, and that's pathetic (especially since we have the Indy cable package). They usually do a half-way decent job with promos, but other than about 2 weeks of those "Home game doesn't mean......." commercials, I haven't seen anything. THAT'S sad. It doesn't matter what the teams record is. As a company, the Pacers should still be promoting the product. Hell, they should be doing it particularly BECUASE of the team's reocrd. Maybe they did a better job with the local press up in Indy?

I think this summarizes my point about the organization worrying or not worrying very well. The trouble is that they are not marketing or pricing to their market any more. Yes, Basketball is big in Indiana, but it isn't a state of single-interest people any more. There really is a lot more to do in Indianapolis than the Pacers, and (except for the die-hard fans who will be sure to get the attendance to MSA levels) the Pacers have to compete for the attention of the casual fan with an awful lot of other activities.

Fact is, I think there are very few teams that have a hard core larger than about two-thirds of their arena. The rest of the arena is filled because of the ability of the organization to get the casual fan to choose the game rather than some other activity for the evening. While none of the below is by itself a deterrent, the combination can be a disaster:

- Game scheduling
- TV dominance
- Local marketing
- Ticket prices
- Perception of the value
- National marketing

Basically, I sometimes think (from seeing the Braves a number of seasons) that it is harder for a consistantly successful team to sell out playoff series than it is for one that is either first in the playoffs or else may not make it to the next round. Both of the latter situations generate a desire for the casual fan to go to the game, where the first interest makes it much less urgent (the "if I'm going to spend money I'll go to the Finals" mentality).

Ultimately, it is on the shoulders of the organization to appeal to the casual fan, because that's where the new die-hard fans come from. They need to push for more national exposure so that the team is seen as the equivalent of the top ream, they need to do local marketing so the choice of going to the game is primary, they need to generate some excitement among the people who are not like us weirdos willing to burn half a day talking about our beloved Pacers.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Ooops, I digressed into another 'I hate the Celtics' monologue.

I just want to know what % of your posts end up doing this............. :cool:

Well, I do hate the Celtics. :devil:

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
I have never understood why they don't play an exhibition game at Assembly and another at Mackey each Oct - at the very least.

I've had the same gripe about the Colts but they're having their spring camp at Ball State so maybe they're seeing the light.

I have a friend in LaGrange I visit now and then and it seems like everyone up there is a Pistons/Lions fan. That shouldn't happen - especially for anyone under about 20.

Each team gets 4 home preseason games. The pacers make a ton more money by having those 4 games at Conseco, than they would if the game is in FT. Wayne or any other Indiana city. Plus I wonder how many fans a preseason would create.

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 11:31 AM
some excitement among the people who are not like us weirdos willing to burn half a day talking about our beloved Pacers.

I resent that comment, I spend a lot more than half a day......oops

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Well, 11,000 people showed up at Ball State for the Colts mini-camp last weekend. And I bet quite a few of those will be buying tickets this year, and didn't last year. As a resident of Bloomington, within my experience, I can say that not only would a game do wonders for support down here, it would sell out without any problems. It's not like IU tickets are any cheaper for students than a Pacer game would be. The attendence would (99% likely) be much better down here than it would be for "just another" pre-season game in Indy, and help establish at least a short-term fan base. THIS is basketball country (what the hell else is there to do down here?). The Pacers really need to take advantage of that.

At what price level could they sell out. Pacers sell their preseason game tickets for the exact same price as regular season prices. No way could they do that in Bloomington

Hicks
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM

That's where I am. I just can't throw a lot of $ into it right now, especially when we're gonna advance at least one more round. Not to mention Finals.

That said, I'm still gonna try to go Saturday, but that may be it unless I go total nosebleed.

indygeezer
05-05-2004, 12:04 PM

That's where I am. I just can't throw a lot of $ into it right now, especially when we're gonna advance at least one more round. Not to mention Finals.

That said, I'm still gonna try to go Saturday, but that may be it unless I go total nosebleed.

Lesse...ummmm yeah...me too Saturday is penciled in. If I can get the cash together.
(Mondays= Geezer and geezerette guitar lessons
Tuesday= Geezer club meetings and Geezer Jr. trombone lessons
Weds= Geezer Jr. piano lesson
Thurs.= perhaps free (?) unless choir practice.
Fri= :o freetime :o
Sat= Mow yards and visit parents (x2)
Sunday= "Day of Rest" [yeah right]
ALL ABOVE SCHEDULED AROUND Geezer Jr and Geezerette soccer games
Any other questions?)

grace
05-05-2004, 12:19 PM
[quote="DisplacedKnickI have never understood why they don't play an exhibition game at Assembly and another at Mackey each Oct - at the very least.[/quote]

I don't know about Assembly Hall, but the Pacers have had an exhibition game at Mackey. I know because I was there. It was the first year Damon Bailey "was a Pacer" (I use the phrase very loosely). The place was sold out. I don't think they've done it since. I don't know why. Maybe the Pacers assumed everybody showed up just to boo Damon whenever he touched the ball. :rolleyes:

Southside_Pacer
05-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Putting preseason games in different parts of the state would be a great idea. There's markets in Bloomington, Muncie, West Lafayette, Fort Wayne, and Terre Haute that need to be tapped into.

Many Hoosiers consider the Colts to be INDIANA'S team despite the fact that they are the Indianapolis Colts. The Pacers aren't viewed as INDIANA'S team like the Colts are. People in Fort Wayne follow the Colts, make the drive down to the dome, stay and tailgate, watch the game and spend money on t-shirts, sweatshirts, concecessions, etc.

The Pacers are viewed state wide as simply a local Indianapolis and surrounding area thing. Reaching out to other parts of the state would help make people in other areas feel as if the Pacers are their team too.

I've been to Assembly Hall a crapload amount of times, and seeing Reggie Miller shooting threes in historic Assembly Hall would be very exciting. As would be seeing Jermaine O'Neal playing underneath the five national championship banners. People would go to a Pacers preseason game in Bloomington. IU basketball fans are some of the most crazy basketball fans in the nation. A preseason game in October right before basketball season is the perfect timing to get people to go.

Worthern Arena in Muncie on the BSU campus is a great facitility, and it's one of the best in the state. I bet you if the Pacers came people would go since the Pacers never do come.

Notre Dame had a ton of success playing their NIT game in the newly furbished Fort Wayne Colisieum. The place was filled with green, and ND considered it a major success and I do believe is planning on coming back.

The Pacers marketing is horrible, and it's non existant. As the weeks in the NFL season went on the city was blue all over. There were commercials on TV, there were rallies downtown, the buildings had their Colts good luck signs being displayed, and there's nothing for the Pacers.

Get some ads on TV. Give some free stuff away. Turn it into an experience that lasts longer before the game. I really think that's the appeal of the NFL Sunday, the tailgaiting. The game experience lasts longer before and after than just the game itself. With Pacers games people show up before the game by a little bit, watch it, then take off as soon as it's done. The Pacers need to make it an experience that people want to get there super early for, watch the game, and stay and celebrate when they win.

Things like this add to my hypothesis that Indianapolis is slowly but surely over the years becoming more of a football town, and the state as a whole is doing the same. There's a reason the NFL is leaps and bounds ahead of the other major sports in the national scene right now.

obnoxiousmodesty
05-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea to play preseason games at major college sites around the state. I'd love to see the Pacers play at IU, ND, PU, BSU, etc. If a preseason NBA game was played at a large college campus in October, you better believe that arena would be sold out or at least very close to sold out. With the collegiate basketball season still a month away, a preseason game at a place like IU would be a welcome event. Besides, you have to take into account the people from surrounding counties who would jump at the chance to see a game when they might live just far enough away from Indy to avoid making a trip to Conseco. I see a lot of positives in showcasing the Pacers around the state.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea to play preseason games at major college sites around the state. I'd love to see the Pacers play at IU, ND, PU, BSU, etc. If a preseason NBA game was played at a large college campus in October, you better believe that arena would be sold out or at least very close to sold out. With the collegiate basketball season still a month away, a preseason game at a place like IU would be a welcome event. Besides, you have to take into account the people from surrounding counties who would jump at the chance to see a game when they might live just far enough away from Indy to avoid making a trip to Conseco. I see a lot of positives in showcasing the Pacers around the state.

It wasn't that long ago that we'd play a preseason game in Evansville every year against Utah (a nice touch since Jerry Sloan obviously has a lot of ties to Evansville.)

These out-of-Indy games were generally flops. Even if they're poorly attended in Indy, the ticket sales are still better because they can force-feed those on us season-ticket-holder types. And its ticket sales that matter, not in-house attendance.

rabid
05-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Another note on the Pacers preseason game idea:

Keep in mind that the Simons actually OWN Conseco Fieldhouse, if I'm not mistaken. The Simons could conceivably make MORE money by having one or two preseason games at IU or Purdue, since they could schedule some other (unrelated) event at Conseco the same night, i.e. a concert or something.

With this in mind the P's could almost afford to take a loss doing a college-campus preseason game, just for the sake of exposure and the increase in merchandise/ticket sales they would get in the long run...

Also, as a Bloomington resident I can vouch for btwoncolt that a Pacers preseason game would likely sell out at Assembly Hall, esp. if it was right before the beginning of the college season...

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 03:54 PM
The best way to increase the popularity of the Pacers statewide is to have Pacers games on TV statewide. Right now only central Indiana has pacers games on TV. The whole state except for Chicago and Cincy areas get all the Colts games.

Southside_Pacer
05-05-2004, 04:06 PM
The best way to increase the popularity of the Pacers statewide is to have Pacers games on TV statewide. Right now only central Indiana has pacers games on TV. The whole state except for Chicago and Cincy areas get all the Colts games.

And the reason they're on statewide is that they've on a regional national TV broadcast feed, CBS. Or they're on national TV (ESPN, and ABC).

WB4 only goes so far out, and the local stations around the state would have to pick up those games. Right now I don't think they're willing to do that.

And Evansville isn't the basketball town that Bloomington, Lafayette, Fort Wayne, Muncie, etc are. A Pacers game at Assembly Hall would make an otherwise boring preseason game, a little bit more exciting in a different market for a night.

You'd better believe the team would get more press, both in print and television, if they had a preseason game elsewhere.

Just like with the Colts at Muncie, everybody and their mother was there from the media. Have a Pacers autograph session before the game, allow the fans to get close and interact with the players, and people would go to Bloomington, Lafayette, Muncie, etc.

MagicRat
05-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Mark Montieth just said on ESPN 950 there are 1,300 left for Thursday and 800 for Saturday.......

Unclebuck
05-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Mark Montieth just said on ESPN 950 there are 1,300 left for Thursday and 800 for Saturday.......

Yes :dance: :dance:

Good to hear

Suaveness
05-05-2004, 05:24 PM

Yes :dance: :dance:

Good to hear

Indeed. It seems as though more people are excited about game 2 than 1.

But this means it will be sold out tomorrow....Conseco will be ROCKIN!!!!

Reggie4Three
05-05-2004, 08:43 PM
The Pacers played the Bulls in a preseason game at Notre Dame a few years ago. I'm not sure how well it was attended, but there are definetely more Bulls fans up here than Pacers fans. I'm working on that though. :D

Roaming Gnome
05-06-2004, 12:19 AM
I attended the last game the Pacers played at the Coliseum in Fort Wayne because I was living there at the time and I could tell you that a week before the game the local media had stories the whole week about the game. The game was a sell out with no seat unfilled!!! From what I seen, the game was a success. People talked about the game for a good while. That was in '97 Vs the Raptors... A team with no star power at the time. The only notable was T-mac because he was just playing his second game in the league. I don't know what happened from the Pacers standpoint because they have not been back eventhough it looked like a success.

The Pacers should manage to play the Pistons in the pre-season to tie the fact that the Fort Wayne Pistons were the first NBA team in Indiana and the Indiana Pacers are the current team of the NBA in Indiana.

Keep in mind that the Simons actually OWN Conseco Fieldhouse, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, Conseco Fieldhouse is owned by the Capital Improvement Board (The city) just like the RCA Dome, but I don't know all the particulars on if they lease it from the city since the Simons poured a portion of their own money into the building.