PDA

View Full Version : Lack of fundamentals or focus?

JBones19
12-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Well, after watching the first 19 games of the season and playing (sub) .500 ball yet again, there have been some things I have been noticing that have really been bugging me. For example, do you think that JO's inability to effectively box someone out when a shot goes up is a lack of knowledge on how to correctly do it or is it just laziness? Another thing that is bugging me about JO is that it seems like every game he is good for 1 or 2 turnovers by simply traveling when he tries to make his initial move, he needs to figure this out. In fact, it seems like a bunch of the TO's we have aren't due to the other team playing great D, just us either traveling, carrying the ball, or simply mishandling a pass. I guess the main question I am trying to address here is, do you think this team in general is fundamentally inept, or are they just not focusing? Do you think, generally speaking, the Pacers have a low basketball IQ as a team? I understand that half of this team is new, and alot of the guys are still learning how to play with one another and what their role is, and frankly, I thought we would have a worse record at this point. Overall though I think as the season goes on, the team will progessively gel and the quality will improve, I just wish we could be a more fundamentally sound team. At least that's the plan.

Slick Pinkham
12-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I think that the vast majority of "expert" prognosticators pretty much had it nailed in preseason when they pegged the Pacers as a 0.500 team in terms of talent.

To expect a whole lot more is to expect overachievement.

I would appreciate more hustle, focus, and display of basketball IQ but... that would require trading for players with a much greater tendency to hustle, play with focus, and be in the posession of high basketball IQ.

This team is 9-10. It would be stunning if it were either 13-6 or 6-13. They are not very good, not very bad, just middle-of-the-pack in terms of just about every facet of the game.

I guess I'm surprised that people had expectations much different than the current reality. Don't get me wrong, I hope that they "gel" and finish with 45 wins instead of 39. I'd like to see them make the playoffs, and in this conference it isn't that hard. I just can't even dream of much more with this assortment of players and coaches.

D-BONE
12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I think there are both focus and fundamentals problems currently. For that reason it's just not an enjoyable team/style to watch win or lose.

Well if you could play it and win 50 games I guess, but you get the point given what this team is capable of even in a best case scenario. Or if you were'nt particularly good but fans were left with a better overall impression but that's not happening on the floor and you know any chance for a likeable team personality wise had it's fate sealed some time ago.

As I've already posted in other threads, I am trying to be patient and just take this team for what they are, but it's not easy. The most annoying thing is the extremely inconsistent EFFORT I perceive on the part of the starters, which coincidentally just happens to be the remaining core of the last 4-5 tumultuous years.

So let them go another 15 or 20 games and if something unexpected doesn't occur I think it will be time to consider a true rebuilding effort despite the negative implications in the short term. In a way I think we are probably just delaying that inevitable conclusion to this assemblage of players that began after the break up of the finals team in 2000.

naptownmenace
12-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Put me down for both.