PDA

View Full Version : Who's afraid of Lamar Odom?

flakcatcher
05-04-2004, 10:48 PM
And Brian Grant? And Dwayne Wade? And Caron Butler? The Heat looked so-so tonight, but I think that the combination of Odom's penetration, Grant's toughness, and Wade and Butler's jumpshooting could cause us some problems if they go on a tear. Plus, their gears are far more well lubed than ours.

kybjones
05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
A finished roach near an ashtray.

sweabs
05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Odom..........WE HAVE JERMAINE.
Grant.......FOSTER IS TOUGHER AND BIGGER.
Wade/Butler........WE HAVE THE DPOY.
:pepper: :dance:

PaceBalls
05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
I think Lamar will be the best player the pacers face in the East. Jeff and JO are good enough defensively to contain him though.

I like their whole starting 5, Wade is awesome, though TO prone. We Could see Artest on him. Rafer off the bench could be a prob for AJ, the guy is so fast and such a great dribbler.

The difference in the series will be the Pacer bench.

PaceBalls
05-04-2004, 11:07 PM
furthermore I think the matchups would be
Foster on Odom
JO on Grant
with alot of Artest on Dwayne

Slick Pinkham
05-04-2004, 11:25 PM
furthermore I think the matchups would be
Foster on Odom
JO on Grant
with alot of Artest on Dwayne

Reggie on Eddie Jones OK, but that would leave Tinsley on Caron Butler.

I think Tins will have to take Wade, personally, as unappealing as that may be.

kerosene
05-04-2004, 11:46 PM
http://www.gawth.com/kerosene/artest_t.gif
I pity Lamar Odom

beast23
05-05-2004, 12:15 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Artest will play on Wade..... too much speed.

Miami is a difficult matchup for our guards, especially Tinsley against Wade's speed. With their outside shooting ability, Reggie won't be able to sag as much; he'll have to stay on Jones.

Foster will be on Grant.

The only question is whether Artest will occassionally be on Odom or will he remain on Butler.

Miami has lost nine in a row to us, including all three this season. A major reason is that they do not have a bench. We definitely have a big advantage with depth. So go at Odom hard, get a few fouls on him, then we can better concentrate stopping their guards.

TheSauceMaster
05-05-2004, 12:24 AM
I think you may see Ron playing a switch a roo , he might play whoever is hotter for the moment then switch, but ti's hard to say who will defintely be gaurding who I think.

kerosene
05-05-2004, 12:41 AM
I think you may see Ron playing a switch a roo , he might play whoever is hotter for the moment then switch, but ti's hard to say who will defintely be gaurding who I think.

There you have it. Carlisle pretty much said that.

PaceBalls
05-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Ya he pretty much said Artest would start on Caron then probably move to Wade. He then went on to talk about how they had 5 different people on PP. So there ya go matchups are pretty pointless to discuss I guess, everyone will be guarding everyone.

Suaveness
05-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Fred will be important too...defensively and offensively.

Anthem
05-05-2004, 01:09 AM
It'll be a weird one.

Eddie Jones has always been the #1 Reggie-Killer. E.Jones is to Reggie as Uncle Cliffy is to Jermaine.

With Miami's guards, I think we'll see a whole lot of Freddy Jones.

I actually think Odom is the ideal Heat player for Ron to guard, although it makes the matchups kinda weird. He's got advantages of strength and speed... Odom would be in a world of hurt. But then does JO guard the SF? It would be interesting to see a defensive combo of Jermaine at center, Ron at PF, Bender at SF, and Freddy at SG.

able
05-05-2004, 03:58 AM
It'll be a weird one.

Eddie Jones has always been the #1 Reggie-Killer. E.Jones is to Reggie as Uncle Cliffy is to Jermaine.

With Miami's guards, I think we'll see a whole lot of Freddy Jones.

I actually think Odom is the ideal Heat player for Ron to guard, although it makes the matchups kinda weird. He's got advantages of strength and speed... Odom would be in a world of hurt. But then does JO guard the SF? It would be interesting to see a defensive combo of Jermaine at center, Ron at PF, Bender at SF, and Freddy at SG.

You wanna keep them below 58 ????????????

:applaud:

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Odom..........WE HAVE JERMAINE.
Grant.......FOSTER IS TOUGHER AND BIGGER.
Wade/Butler........WE HAVE THE DPOY.
:pepper: :dance:

First, I'd put JO on Grant. Foster won't play much this series because we'll need what Al brings to the table at F much more than what Foster brings.

Especially since Miami's front court is really two SFs (Butler and Odom) and a tough but undersized PF (Grant).

I think we'll see a lot of Tinsly/Jones/Artest/Harrington/JO in this series. With Tinsley and Freddie cris-crossed defensively (Tinsley on EJ, Fred on Wade).

sixthman
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
I think we'll see a lot of Tinsly/Jones/Artest/Harrington/JO in this series. With Tinsley and Freddie cris-crossed defensively (Tinsley on EJ, Fred on Wade).

Sounds like a good plan to me. EJ would probably have the edge over Jamaal, but I like the rest of the matchups really well.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 11:13 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me. EJ would probably have the edge over Jamaal, but I like the rest of the matchups really well.

Agreed.

This is where we all secretly whisper to ourselves, "its too bad Carlisle insisted on using AJ and KA as the backup PGs all season." Like Foster, they won't be very useful this series. But Fred has probably played less than five minutes all season at PG, so we can't (shouldn't?) use a FJ/RM backcourt against Wade and EJ, even though that *could* be better than Tinsley/FJ or Tinsley/Reggie against the Heat's backcourt.

DisplacedKnick
05-05-2004, 11:19 AM
This is where we all secretly whisper to ourselves, "its too bad Carlisle insisted on using AJ and KA as the backup PGs all season." Like Foster, they won't be very useful this series. But Fred has probably played less than five minutes all season at PG, so we can't (shouldn't?) use a FJ/RM backcourt against Wade and EJ, even though that *could* be better than Tinsley/FJ or Tinsley/Reggie against the Heat's backcourt.

What the Pacers did do early in the season before Tinsley rejoined the offense was use Artest to intitate the offense. It worked pretty well too. The Pacers were able to get the ball to Ron at about the elbow. At that point the motion offense started to go and he made pretty good decisions.

I could see that being used this series.

ChicagoJ
05-05-2004, 11:35 AM

What the Pacers did do early in the season before Tinsley rejoined the offense was use Artest to intitate the offense. It worked pretty well too. The Pacers were able to get the ball to Ron at about the elbow. At that point the motion offense started to go and he made pretty good decisions.

I could see that being used this series.

Good point. I've tried to black out many of the pre-Tinsley games from my memory, but that could be effective from time-to-time.

fwpacerfan
05-05-2004, 11:55 AM
I think we will see a lot of Freddie in this series. He will take Wade when they put Alston in the game. I think Tinsley or AJ or Kenny can handle "Skip to my Lou" because Alston likes to shoot a lot of 3's. I think Foster and Bender will be taking Odom on defense. I don't think the coaching staff wants to see JO get in foul trouble. Odom likes to play outside which would take O'Neal out of the basket area. I see Artest taking whoever is hot. :)

I'm ready for round 2 to finally start!

Arcadian
05-05-2004, 01:47 PM
I find Miami to be an interesting match-up defensively because they have 4 starters capable of scoring 20 but their best player (Odom) doesn't dominate games by scoring.

Wade might be getting the praise right now but he and his turnovers aren't what make Miami the team that they are--it's Odom. How will Carlise limit a player who doesn't have to score to dictate the outcome?

Don't get me wrong I expect the Pacers to win in 5 but I am happy that we get to watch a team of Miami's talent over a team of NO's size.