PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, DWade is The Man

AesopRockOn
12-04-2006, 06:54 PM
<CENTER>Wade Named Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year
</CENTER>
NBA Finals MVPs Selection Marks Fifth Pro Basketball Honoree in 52-Year History of Award; HBOs Costas Now to Celebrate Selection Tuesday Night at 10 p.m. ET/PT
NEW YORK, Dec. 4, 2006 Dwyane Wade, whose NBA Finals MVP performance led the Miami Heat to the franchise's first championship, has been chosen as the 2006 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year for symbolizing in character and performance the ideals of sportsmanship, it was announced by SI Group Editor Terry McDonell.
The Sportsman of the Year issue, which is dated December 11, will hit newsstands this Wednesday, December 6. SI.com/sportsman includes the tribute to Wade as well as exclusive video segments, galleries of past Sportsman covers and My Sportsman nominations from dozens of SI writers. Wade will receive the new Sportsman of the Year award, a sterling silver trophy crafted by Tiffany & Co., at a party in his honor in New York on Thursday night, December 14.
Tomorrow night, Tuesday, December 5, at 10 p.m. ET/PT, HBO's Costas Now will celebrate Wade's selection and profile the year's top performers and newsmakers. http://www.nba.com/media/wade_sicover_300.jpg
"This award has always stood for more than the victory alone. It recognizes the manner of an athlete's striving and the quality of his or her efforts," said McDonell. "Dwyane embodies that winning spirit by playing for his team, not himself, and by working in the community to ensure young people have the chance to realize their own dreams."
SI senior writer S.L. Price profiles Wade in the magazine and chronicles both his difficult childhood and his disciplined rise to stardom. Price writes, "But here's the factor, more than any other, that may decide if Dwyane Wade can survive even success: he likes difficulty. Ease makes him anxious. Perfect makes him squirm. But set him up with an early childhood from hell? Put him in a two-game hole in the Finals? He dares you to doubt him."
In only his fourth season in the league, Wade has established himself as one of the sport's premier players and as the standard bearer for a new generation of NBA superstar. Elevating his game when the stakes are highest, Wade has scored more postseason points in his first three seasons than any other player in NBA history. His Finals MVP honor adds to a deep rsum of two All-Star Game appearances and a career-scoring average of 22.9 points per game. His credentials off the court are as impressive as the leadership he displays among his teammates. The Dwyane Wade Foundation, a nonprofit promoting social enrichment, education and physical fitness among youth, assists young people in reaching their educational and athletic goals through mentoring.
Wade is the fifth NBA player to be named Sportsman: Bill Russell (1968), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1985), Michael Jordan (1991) and Tim Duncan & David Robinson (2003). He is also the youngest player on the NBA/SI Sportsman list. (In addition, NBA player Rory Sparrow was named as one of eight Athletes Who Care in 1987.) The last Miami-area recipient was former Dolphins' coach Don Shula (1993).

by NBA.com copyright 2006

http://www.nba.com/news/wade_sportsman06.html

Kstat
12-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh. My. God.

Gets off this guy's jock already.

J_2_Da_IzzO
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I think the majority of people know LeBron is better then him but in my opinion Carmelo is better then him aswell.

He didnt deserve this award either because as we can see now he cant carry the team. He NEEDS Shaq.

bulldog
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
"This award has always stood for more than the victory alone. It recognizes the manner of an athlete's striving and the quality of his or her efforts," said McDonell. "Dwyane embodies that winning spirit by playing for his team, not himself, and by working in the community to ensure young people have the chance to realize their own dreams."

Of course it's about more than victories. He's getting this award because he's got a nice smile, cleans up well, and can push a lot of sneakers out the door. MVS: Most Valuable Salesman.

Sollozzo
12-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I think the majority of people know LeBron is better then him but in my opinion Carmelo is better then him aswell.

He didnt deserve this award either because as we can see now he cant carry the team. He NEEDS Shaq.

In Wade's defense, he has a pretty crappy team around him right now. Shaq is out. All of their money is invested in past their prime vets. Guys like ZO, GP, and Walker delivered last year, but I don't think they can count on that again.

They have a pretty bleak future. They will pay Shaq 20 mil a year through 2010. By then he'll be 38 and practically finished. They don't have much money to throw at solid young role players.

Sirius
12-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Thank god theres some other people in the world that see past this ridiculous infatuation with 'mr. marketable'. i really dont think i know anyone in real life that does...

FlavaDave
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
If not Wade, then who? Remember, this isn't "best NBA player", this is "Sportsman of the Year". It is the one athlete that defined the year 2006.

I can't think of a more defining athlete in any sport than Dwayne Wade last year.

Quis
12-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Wade is simply spectacular, period. For the people who love stats, he's got incredible numbers, for the people who want wins, hes got a championship ring to go along with a Finals MVP. The guys a freak of nature and deserves this award.

bulldog
12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
I can't think of a more defining athlete in any sport than Dwayne Wade last year.

Roger Federer and Tiger Woods are two of the most dominating athletes in any sport ever, and they're each at or near their peak. Thats of course assuming that SI would never take a soccer player; considering the World Cup was the defining sporting event of last year, perhaps Cannavaro deserved it.

Roy Munson
12-05-2006, 05:59 PM
If not Wade, then who? Remember, this isn't "best NBA player", this is "Sportsman of the Year". It is the one athlete that defined the year 2006.

I might have gone with Kobyashi, the Hot Dog Eating champion. He's been untouchable for several years now and deserves proper recognition.

spreedom
12-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Wade is the most manufactured star in sports history... the guy scores all of his points on ticky-tack, touch fouls, and flops worse than any other player in the league... by a wide margin. I am ashamed to be a basketball fan when I am watching this clown playing.

FlavaDave
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Roger Federer and Tiger Woods are two of the most dominating athletes in any sport ever, and they're each at or near their peak. Thats of course assuming that SI would never take a soccer player; considering the World Cup was the defining sporting event of last year, perhaps Cannavaro deserved it.

Even though Tiger has been great, a decade from now when I think of the year 2006 sports-wise the name Tiger Woods wouldn't pop into my head. Federer is a good choice, though. I didn't think of that.

AesopRockOn
12-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Wade is the most manufactured star in sports history... the guy scores all of his points on ticky-tack, touch fouls, and flops worse than any other player in the league... by a wide margin. I am ashamed to be a basketball fan when I am watching this clown playing.

I got way more respect for Wade than Lebron. Lebron has had everything handed to him; Wade is more subtle and is willing to fight. That said, the award did go too far.

Lol @ Tiger not being the star of his sport compared to Wade. Since he been in the game, Tiger's defined and owned golf. Nobody owns ball right now, no matter how the whistle blows.

Kstat
12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I got way more respect for Wade than Lebron. Lebron has had everything handed to him; Wade is more subtle and is willing to fight. That said, the award did go too far.

:laugh:

Yeah, Wade never got annything handed to him....LOL

Besides, when I think "sportsman," I think "sportsmanship," and Dwayne Wade is not in that class. He's one of the biggest prima donnas in the league. I remember he came extremely close to knocking a referee out with a point-blank basketball to the head, but caught himself at the last second.

spreedom
12-07-2006, 12:18 AM

LeBron has had everything handed to him? I'd say Wade was given a much bigger gift last season than LeBron was...

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.shop.com/200000/205700/205728/products/38048592.jpg

And I would like to stress that he was given the trophy, and that it certainly wasn't earned. That Finals series is the worst example of officiating that I can remember since that catastrophe that was the 02-03 Wolves/Lakers matchup...

Mordecaii
12-07-2006, 03:20 AM
Sounds to me like there's a lot of bitter people who just can't realize that Wade is one of the best players in the league right now.

Oh and by the way, anytime 33% of your cap is invested in one player and that player is out, the team is going to struggle. Even if Shaq isn't the player he was, he does produce relatively well AND on top of that, he eats up their money like crazy so they can't really put better pieces around Wade.

Kstat
12-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Saying that wade is one of the best players in the league and saying he's sportsman of the freaking year are two totally different things.

JayRedd
12-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Are you guys serious?

Did this dude steal your girlfriend or something?

Kstat
12-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I just don't like an award that's at least partially known for class and dignity being given to Dwayne Wade, who hasn't gone three minutes without crying about being fouled. That's my issue.

maragin
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I might have gone with Kobyashi, the Hot Dog Eating champion. He's been untouchable for several years now and deserves proper recognition.

I'll second this.

I'd also like to nominate Vince McMahon for executive of the year.