PDA

View Full Version : Some Tidbits So Far This Season

Dr. Goldfoot
12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Despite a number of new faces on the court and on the coaching staff, the Pacers currently possess a winning record and can come back from this west coast swing no worse than 9-10.

Surprisingly players have stepped up and filled the no three point threat void. Al .559, Tinsley .366, Granger .394, Runi .359 and Armstrong .425.

Jermaine is #1 in blocks and is averaging a career high 3 APG.

Al is #3 in 3pt % and is averaging a career high 7.5 RPG.

Jack is #11 in steals per turnover and a career high 3.4 APG.

Tinsley is #15 in APG, #12 in total assists and #9 in assists per 48 minutes and shooting a career high .796 from the line.

Granger is averaging double figures in scoring and shooting nearly 40% from beyond the arc.

Runi hasn't been trapped in the backcourt nearly as much as many of us expected and his preseason was thankfully left in the preseason.

Daniels is #15 in steals per turnover and #11 in steals per 48 while shooting .839 from the line.

Jeff is #10 in steals per turnover,#7 in off rebounds per 48, #9 in rebounds per 48. He's also shooting a career high .704 from the line.

Armstrong has proven to be the veteran leader as he was advertised and he's been injecting the reserves with some life and some three point shootin' .425.

The rest of the bench has been adequate even if seldom used. Marshall started a couple of games and played well off the bench a couple of times. Powell put up some good numbers in garbage time against the Wiz. Harrison is nursing an injury and has seen limited playing time when healthy. Greene and Baston haven't imploded during their really limited playing time.

5-5 on the road.
2-1 vs the west.
Scoring slightly more than last year but with a significantly lower shooting %. The shots are up by almost 10 a game. We are playing a faster tempo like they said we would. I didn't believe they were serious.

The players seem to enjoy each other and will eventually develope a better on-court chemistry.

Anthem
12-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Holy cow... Tinsley is shooting a better percentage than Sarunas?

Anyway, all of those are good things. When you factor in how new this group is, it gets exciting. I'm looking forward to what happens when they gel.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to more moves, either.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-01-2006, 10:58 AM
With that being said, the recent starting line-up change has shown we have no front court depth. Granger doesn't have the size to match up with many power forwards and the rest of the bigs leave alot to be desired. We need a legitimate backup center/PF. Some will say that's Jeff Foster and I agree but for Jeff to be the backup we still need someone who can supplant him. I like Jeff starting and would be pleased with a servicable big guy on the roster to take the place of Harrison/Powell/Baston. I don't know who's available but that's what we need.

Hicks
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Thank you for a great collection of tidbits, Dr. Goldfoot!

Anthem
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
With that being said, the recent starting line-up change has shown we have no front court depth. Granger doesn't have the size to match up with many power forwards and the rest of the bigs leave alot to be desired. We need a legitimate backup center/PF. Some will say that's Jeff Foster and I agree but for Jeff to be the backup we still need someone who can supplant him. I like Jeff starting and would be pleased with a servicable big guy on the roster to take the place of Harrison/Powell/Baston. I don't know who's available but that's what we need.
Well, if we're not going to use Harrison then we should trade him. I don't care which it is, but young bigs have value. If we keep him until he's an old big, he'll be worthless.

Jon Theodore
12-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I'd like us to see if we could get a big man for a Harrison/Marquis combo. Both of them are not important to this team and I could easily see how teams might want both of those players.

Marquis is redundant because Rawle is the exact same player, just not as established. I'd prefer to develop Rawle and let Marquis go. He still has that potential label so lets trade him/Harrison for a serviceable backup in the frontcourt.

Dr. Goldfoot
12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, if we're not going to use Harrison then we should trade him. I don't care which it is, but young bigs have value. If we keep him until he's an old big, he'll be worthless.

While the old adage "young bigs have value" is true, how much value are we talking about. I recently posted a number of pre-draft quotes about Harrison and they all said basically the same thing " lazy, underachiever, potential,bigs always have value in the NBA,attitude". At what point do you concede these comments may be true? Not you personally but the proverbial you. 7 foot 280 pounders take up alot of room on the bench. We have the guy tied up thru next year with a qualifying option the following year. When you take into consideration he's progressed little, possibly has proven his pre-draft detracters to be sage advisors, his contract has only next year left and is relatively low, he can't break into a rotation that desperately needs someone who possesses his size and abilities and at a certain point 24 becomes 25 which becomes 26 etc....how much value are we talking about because the Pacers aren't using him.

Fool
12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Where's PacerFan83? He seems to think all that's worth a first rounder and better than every big on the Bulls' roster.

Anthem
12-01-2006, 02:35 PM
how much value are we talking about because the Pacers aren't using him.
Well, that's a fair point. But it wouldn't be too hard to showcase him a little. He's had good games before and will again.

Evan_The_Dude
12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Marquis is redundant because Rawle is the exact same player, just not as established.

I kinda have to agree with that. Then again, having excellent finishers around the basket is a part of what we set out to get in the offseason. I think having two is better than just having one at this point.