PDA

View Full Version : Warriors post game thread - Thankfully Tinsley didn't sit out the 4th quarter

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 01:55 AM
That is why you should never go to bed early. Great game, crazy game, strange game. I'm not going to spend a lot of time analyzing this one, in fact I'm not going to at all - at least not now.

For those that didn't see this game it was a great game

odeez
11-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Got lucky tonight and got a free watch on NBA TV and caught the game, maybe because I live in Oakland. Donno, but I will take it. What a great game!!! All I can say is thank you Jackson!!! We caught a break there and with a little luck we hit the shot and got the win.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Moses
11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Tinsley came up huge in the 4th quarter. Harrington, JO, and Tinsley all had awesome games.

Evan_The_Dude
11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Players consistently getting into the lane and getting layups on us reminds me of the Colts and their run defense. Other than that I'm going to keep away from the negative. GOOD WIN!

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
After ripping Tinsley last night I should compliment him on tonights game. Sure he couldn't guard Ellis or Baron, but they couldn't guard Tinsley either.

But what I liked about the game tonight is the heart the pacers team showed, there were bad calls, some ghreat shots made by the Warriors - but the Pacers just kept playing. I love it when the bench is up cheering on their teammates.

I've been saying all year that I like the spirit of this years Pacers team. Not sure the talent fits together - but they do pull for each other

rexnom
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Should Granger or Foster have been in there at the end?

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Should Granger or Foster have been in there at the end?

You could make a strong argument either way, I've got no problem with DG being in there.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Jackson doesn't have a clutch bone in his body, what........... damn. I always show up to these hate fests late.

beast23
11-30-2006, 02:06 AM
After ripping Tinsley last night I should compliment him on tonights game. Sure he couldn't guard Ellis or Baron, but they couldn't guard Tinsley either.

That's the one thing I posted in the game thread.

This team will not enjoy any real success over the course of a season until we acquire backcourt players that are capable of maintaining decent defensive position on their opponents. It is far too easy for the opponent to penetrate the lane.

But on a positive note, I thought Tinsley got a bad call against him (Dunleavy's play in the corner), but maintained composure and played through it. In the past, it would have been very easy for that one play to have wrecked Tinsley's concentration... which tonight would have resulted in a loss.

Pacerized
11-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Great game. I'm starting to believe we have a chance in the 4th. again if we're within striking distance, and I haven't had that feeling since Reggie retired. For anyone questioning our back court D which isn't the best, keep in mind that who they were matched up against. I don't know of a back court that could hold them defensively.

odeez
11-30-2006, 02:08 AM

But what I liked about the game tonight is the heart the pacers team showed, there were bad calls, some ghreat shots made by the Warriors - but the Pacers just kept playing. I love it when the bench is up cheering on their teammates.

Yes sir Buck! We have to take notice of Tins play tonight. I thought when he made those 5 straight points late in the game to get us back even, were huge. :-o

I loved the fact that we kept playing too. And there were a lot of bad calls made tonight. You have to give Harrington big props for hitting those threes tonight. I never expected to see that.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Great game. I'm starting to believe we have a chance in the 4th. again if we're within striking distance, and I haven't had that feeling since Reggie retired.
I admit, I didn't think we were going to pull it out.

http://www.phillyist.com/attachments/philly_jim/i-want-to-believe.jpg

Ok, we're 2-1 so far on this road trip. We've still got Seattle, Denver, and LA. One more of those and I'll be content. Two more, and I'll be thrilled. More than two, and I'll be out of my mind.

BlueNGold
11-30-2006, 02:17 AM
[quote=odeez;508657And there were a lot of bad calls made tonight.[/quote]

More than any game I have seen this season.

pacerwaala
11-30-2006, 02:19 AM
You could make a strong argument either way, I've got no problem with DG being in there.

I even got no problem with the shot he took on that last posession before Sjax made the three. I am glad I stayed up and watched.

Also UB, Tins was bad in the game against Portland but tonight he was real "bad" as in "good" tonight against the warriors. If he is a bit more disciplined and if he can concentrate all the time, he is a delight to watch. He is just a wizard with the ball. He kept us in it in that 4th quarter.

I finally watched two full Pacers games this season (against Portland and GSW) and saw that this team has toned it down a bit on the whining, etc. They seem to have some camraderie and are confident of each other. Ofcourse, I only saw the wins but hopefully this continues.

Is it me or is Al quicker now than in his first stint with the Pacers.

AesopRockOn
11-30-2006, 02:26 AM
The Warriors' 15 blocks is pretty comendable. They played a really good game.

Evan_The_Dude
11-30-2006, 02:31 AM
I just want to know one thing. Why the hell didn't Orien Greene play knowing we'd be dealing with Baron Davis and Monta Ellis?

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 02:35 AM
The best thing about the game, Baron Davis was the guy who tipped the ball out to Jackson on that last play

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:36 AM
This Topic title wins BTW Unclebuck.

Thoughts on Jacks 3 Pointer

A) I don't think anybody was happier than Sarunas, which is good that he can take pleasure in somebody else getting assigned hte clutch three, and another person hitting it. Maybe he has improved as a teammate?

B) Its a sad thing that Jack will be booed the second he gets back to conseco, dude gets booed less on the road

C) I actually feel bad for the Warriors fans, I really do. not sure why that must have just been such a heartbreaker.

Evan_The_Dude
11-30-2006, 02:41 AM
The number one complaint in the offseason that most here seemed to be whining about is that we don't have any shooters. Can we all agree that this isn't as much of an issue as it was made out to be? I think our defense is the #1 issue.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:43 AM
The number one complaint in the offseason that most here seemed to be whining about is that we don't have any shooters. Can we all agree that this isn't as much of an issue as it was made out to be? I think our defense is the #1 issue.

I don't think its the Number one issue but its pretty bad I mean yeah it was ok tonight. But look at Runi, Jacks, and Tinsley's %'s. Among other peoples.

Eindar
11-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Oriene Greene's lack of PT concerns me also. I don't expect him to get 20 mins or anything, but it seems like it couldn't hurt to put him in there for a 2 minute stretch to see if he can cool off a guy like Monta Ellis.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 03:53 AM
Oriene Greene's lack of PT concerns me also. I don't expect him to get 20 mins or anything, but it seems like it couldn't hurt to put him in there for a 2 minute stretch to see if he can cool off a guy like Monta Ellis.
DA's not a bad defender, but once Ellis heated up it was over. Nothing DA did seemed to bother him.

Basically, we lucked out that they didn't go to him more in the closing minutes.

That being said, I wouldn't have been opposed to giving Green some of Sarunas' minutes. Might have been an improvement.

Trader Joe
11-30-2006, 05:49 AM
23, 8, and 8 for Tins? Lets trade him.

20, 11, and 5 for JO? Him too.

Hell why don't we send Jack and Al out while we are at it.

Where are all the depressing people that can't enjoy the wins at now?

I really wish I could have seen this game. My buddy bout **** ourselves when we saw the update on ESPN we did a victory dance around the room.

Evan_The_Dude
11-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't think its the Number one issue but its pretty bad I mean yeah it was ok tonight. But look at Runi, Jacks, and Tinsley's %'s. Among other peoples.

Yeah, but Al is shooting 55% beyond the arc, Tinsley is now 36%, Granger is 39%, Sarunas is 36%, and Armstrong is 42%.

The argument was that we didn't have any shooters. My argument was that we didn't need shoot-ERS, we just needed guys that could hit those shots. I think we did good.

FlavaDave
11-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah, but Al is shooting 55% beyond the arc, Tinsley is now 36%, Granger is 39%, Sarunas is 36%, and Armstrong is 42%.

The argument was that we didn't have any shooters. My argument was that we didn't need shoot-ERS, we just needed guys that could hit those shots. I think we did good.

I know what you mean. We don't have guys that can kill you from 3-pt range (like Redd or Allen or (duh) Reggie), but we do have 5-6 guys who can drain the shots when open. So 3-pt shooting isn't a strength, but now I think that we can be confident that it isn't a weakness, either.

Phildog
11-30-2006, 10:45 AM
How about JO's presence in the middle though? This is something that paid off in ways I never would have imagined. Ellis missed a fastbreak layup that JO didn't even defend since he had 5 fouls, but was in the area and changed the shot on a red hot player. You gotta give JO credit for elevating that part of his game this year.

D23
11-30-2006, 10:53 AM
The best thing about the game, Baron Davis was the guy who tipped the ball out to Jackson on that last play

Maybe trying a little too hard for that triple-double... he just figured he'd get the defensive rebound and assist at the same time ;)

kshay
11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Did anyone else notice that although the article reported that Baron Davis had swatted the ball to Jackson, the Pacers.com game report had Jermaine O'Neal "alertly" tapping the ball out to Jackson? Just a thought.

http://www.nba.com/games/20061129/INDGSW/recap.html
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_061129.html

Moses
11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I think Tinsley has finally found his shot and Al is finally adjusting to the SF spot. Tinsley is gradually getting a bit more consistent as each game goes by.

Pitons
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Maybe trying a little too hard for that triple-double... he just figured he'd get the defensive rebound and assist at the same time ;)

Ah, so be it, I think we can give him 1 extra reb and 1 extra assist for that amazing pass to Jax. He was worth triple double. :)

Pitons
11-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Did anyone else notice that although the article reported that Baron Davis had swatted the ball to Jackson, the Pacers.com game report had Jermaine O'Neal "alertly" tapping the ball out to Jackson? Just a thought.

http://www.nba.com/games/20061129/INDGSW/recap.html
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_061129.html

Yea, it's a bit strange :confused:

rexnom
11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Yea, it's a bit strange :confused:
Even stranger, Al said he thought that it was Pietrus who tipped it out by slapping at his hands...oh well...not many people credit Vlade Divac for the tip out to Robert Horry for the three that sunk that '03 Kings team.

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
The replay clearly shows Baron Davis slapped the ball out to Jackson. JO was in the area and if JO wasn't there, Baron would have been able to just grab. But Baron made a decent decision because if JO would have gotten the ball he would have dunked it

Isaac
11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
B) Its a sad thing that Jack will be booed the second he gets back to conseco, dude gets booed less on the road.

Huh? The fans have been pretty good to Jack so far. Obviously there are some smattered boos here and there when his name gets called, but it's far from anything noteworthy.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Huh? The fans have been pretty good to Jack so far. Obviously there are some smattered boos here and there when his name gets called, but it's far from anything noteworthy.

None of the games I have seen at home. We have only had 6 games at home and 2 I remember distinctly Jax getting an earful.

pizza guy
11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I've been to a couple home games, and Jack hears it. In contrast though, when he makes a good play, he hears just as much cheering as anyone else does. I think for as well as he's been playing this year, the boo'ing should stop, whether or not you like him as a person. I'd still rather have him traded, but as long as he's wearing a Pacers' uni, and continues playing like this, I'll cheer as loudly as anyone.

imawhat
11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
This Topic title wins BTW Unclebuck.

Thoughts on Jacks 3 Pointer

A) I don't think anybody was happier than Sarunas, which is good that he can take pleasure in somebody else getting assigned hte clutch three, and another person hitting it. Maybe he has improved as a teammate?

I noticed that too. Sarunas lost his mind when Jax hit that shot. Whatever problem they had last year is gone, because Jax doesn't ignore Saras when he's wide open and likewise. They actually have a developing chemistry.

Tinsley played great defense in the final minute. Davis hit a very tough shot (as he did all night) over him. Tinsley made one hell of a pass to Granger. I didn't have a problem with Granger taking that shot either. Eight seconds to go gives you enough time to shoot again, and if the other team rebounds you still have a chance after two free throws.

Any win on the second of back-to-back road games is a huge bonus. I didn't expect this.

3rdStrike
11-30-2006, 02:16 PM

The Pacers have the lowest FG % in the NBA last I heard. They need JO to shoot around 50% and Jack to at least get it up to 40% and for the bench players (Daniels, Granger and Marshall in particular) to contribute if they are to put it together.

In their losses they scored:

91 (40%)
91 (38.6%)
80 (44.6%)
88 (38.3%)
91 (43.7%)
91 (40.3%)
83 (37.2%)

Defense is an issue as well, don't get me wrong. But the team needs A LOT of work on executing on offense.

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
As critical as I've been about Danny's mental game, down the stretch they needed pure energy more than anything. It wasn't that he was free from those errors vs GS, just that often it didn't matter because it was just a mad scramble play which is where he shines right now.

The Pick and Roll defense is hit and miss so far, and that has been where most of the penetration has come from RECENTLY. It's not just as simple as Tinsley (or Saras, DA, etc). For example, in the 4th Ellis worked a PnR and Tinsley nicely went through it (between the pick and Jeff, something they try to do most of the time). This cut it off. So what did Ellis do? He immediately reran it and caught Jeff drifting away thinking they had already stopped it.

A good PnR is like a good pulling block in football. It's going to stop the first guy, otherwise team's wouldn't use it. The Pacers have cut off the PG on these a lot of the time, but then the pass comes back the other way (like the Biedrens dunk that I think started the 3rd quarter).

It's not all negative. Tinsley created one of those steals down the stretch when they cut off the dribble and he tipped away the entry pass into the pick man going to the lane. The Pacers have shown that they can defend it, just not as consistantly as I hope they are able to by March.

IMO Harrington went Chuck Person on the Warriors. His final 3 was just a joke, almost stupid for him to drop that on them, a lot like Chuck hitting that super-bomb vs Boston right at the end of game 5.

Ironic that 2 of the worst sets the Pacers ran all night led to the Al and Jack 3's.

Also Clark said JO tipped it out but that's not true. It was ONLY Baron Davis, very clear on the slo-mo replay. Davis hit it out in an effort to keep it from JO who would have put it back for the 1pt lead. It was almost a great play by Baron...and then Jack punched him in the gut for it.

JO was not very clutch, pretty poor actually, despite a great game. However it wasn't just on him. Toward the end the Warriors just doubled him very hard to keep him from making the plays or getting good looks. At that point another guy must step up. Luckily it finally happened in the last minute or so of the game (not just the Al and Jack shots).

I don't think anybody was happier than Sarunas
RICK CARLISLE. If you have the game on Tivo still go look at Jack after the final buzzer. Saras is about to congratulate him, and just then Jack hears/sees someone behind him and moves toward them (no diss on Saras, he seemed to understand/hear as well).

It was Rick with 2 fists up which Jack then slapped or dapped, some awkward but happy moment between them. Unfortunately they cut from this shot just as RC comes into frame. But considering the level of normal emotion from Rick I think it said a ton. Rick likes Jack (Roferr even complains about this because he thinks RC is too loyal to him), and Jack this year has been making that pay off for RC. If his shot comes back (or is coming back) he's going to be a real star for the team.

Side note - Jack after he hit the shot, in the huddle...all biz, barely willing to smile, clearly trying to stay focused and serious. I sincerely think that the improvement in Jack's game all-around is due to an improved attitude. The Rio thing took a lot of focus off of this unfortunately. He still makes some errors, but he seems to refocus quicker and stay attentive more often.

Do I have the rule wrong? I thought once the ball hit the glass you couldn't deflect it? If so then Danny GOALTENDED big time. Glad the Pacers got that, but if it was against us I'd be PO'd (unless someone tells me that I have the NCAA rule mixed up with the NBA one - I thought top of arc = hits glass).

Ellis - I agree somewhat. He got hot and there was no stopping him because that freaking lefty flick layup thing had no business seeing any part of the rim. However they did stop him a few times after that which probably got lost in the shuffle for some fans. GS didn't go away from him, the Pacers finally made the effort to force the ball away from him no matter what. Good thing because he was nuts.

In the past, it would have been very easy for that one play to have wrecked Tinsley's concentration... which tonight would have resulted in a loss.
I agree. Looked like he hit ball and MD lost it on the way up, then threw a head flick with Tins hands a few feet away by then. Tough one to take. It's worth noting the LACK OF TECHS, at least in my eyes and expectations. The JO one seemed quick (typical for the NBA) as it was, but these guys were going way past those points last year pretty regularly. I haven't checked the tech count to compare, but my guess would be that they have LESS this year.

I might be wrong on that, but if that's true or even if the are just basically the same, that has to be far better than any Pacer fan expected. Beyond Sheed I think a lot of us saw Jack, JO and Tins as prime targets for the new enforcement.

Gotta give them credit for altering some of their behaviors to meet the guidelines. It is probably improving all of their games.

Isaac
11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I just want to say this one more time regarding the missed goaltend. Jermaine got slammed to the ground on one end and they missed the call. It was an extremely obvious foul and they missed it. That's why they didn't call the goaltend, it was a make-up non call. Then when Jermaine got the dunk on the other end, they felt sort of silly for impacting the game like that, and so they called a charge on the Pacers when Dunleavy was not even close to being set. He had both feet moving and was not in any sort of position whatsoever.

imawhat
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I just want to say this one more time regarding the missed goaltend. Jermaine got slammed to the ground on one end and they missed the call. It was an extremely obvious foul and they missed it. That's why they didn't call the goaltend, it was a make-up non call.

I was wondering if it was a makeup call of sorts. It was as obvious as goaltends get. What a bad sequence from the refs.

I'll definitely check out Jack's three again. I'd love to see Rick get exicted.

Stephen has easily been the most pleasant surprise this year. I never expected him to be as consistently focused as he is.

Since86
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
But on a positive note, I thought Tinsley got a bad call against him (Dunleavy's play in the corner), but maintained composure and played through it. In the past, it would have been very easy for that one play to have wrecked Tinsley's concentration... which tonight would have resulted in a loss.

There's no way they wouldn't have called it. It was a bone head move to even attempt to try to get to the ball. Dunleavy had about a second left on the clock, in the corner, and falling out of bounds. Why in the world would you do anything except stand there?

Tins is just lucky they called it a non-shooting foul, which was VERY surprising. I guess they thought he was looking to pass with a second left on the shotclock. Sometimes a ref's thought process just baffles me.

storm1015
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Tinsley did keep his head in the game better than expected last night. When Baron really started heating up you could tell JT was wanting to dish it right back at Baron. A few plays in the 3rd quarter Tinsley took too much on himself by going one on one but late in the game those same moves kept us in it. That was a nice surprise.

I think Orien Greene could have been a good option, but DA is getting those minutes now and I don't think anyone expected that going into the season. If DA wasn't playing well, Greene would get the minutes. DA is our "stopper" at PG. Greene's time will come.

JO is playing much better in the post as is the entire offense the past two games. However, I didn't see much defense in either game. I like watching games like that, but don't expect that when we get back East. It was much like the UNC/Ohio St game last night. No defense. Compare that to the IU/Duke game when everything was contested all the way to halfcourt. Same thing in the game last night. GS packed the lane and barely made an attempt to cover the perimeter.

And please don't let Al fall in love with the 3. I don't want Al to become Dennis Scott. A good shooting night for a developing shooter is like the easy pill. They think, "I don't have to bang all the time to get my points, I can just stand out here..." Hopefully RC is monitoring that. Al should use this new weapon, just not exclusively.

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah, the non-shooting aspect was ?????

But as for smacking the ball, if the shot goes up and gets rim and they rebound because he lets him have it unchallenged then he's lazy. Smacking the ball loose as a shooter brings it up was a McKey speciality and people loved his defense. I understand the clock is down and in HINDSIGHT someone says "oh, just let him go", but as I said the hindsight might have been a tip-in make for them or even a miracle 3 if Tins doesn't contest it.

It's not like he tried to jump and match height against him. To me he made a smart play for a PG who has a guy in trouble.

I agree with Isaac about the make-up situation, that's what I thought, especially on the charge. I'd just pointed out how Baston was blocking the night before and then Mike D got that same call to go his way. It was as obvious as the goaltend.

And back to the shooting thing, there was another time the Warriors got FTs on a foul during an obvious pass. As already said, not a great night for the refs.

Storm, one thing about Davis is that he's just as much of a hot-head/I challenge you type of PG that lets himself get distracted by a personal battle. I think that helped Tins a bit. And when you look at Baron's numbers it's not like Tins beat him, Baron had the better night as good as 11 was himself.

When they had the face hit foul (Tins) retaliation face shove (Davis) I figured they would need to clear the court for about 10 minutes of 1 on 1 ball. :D

JayRedd
11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
It was a bone head move to even attempt to try to get to the ball. Dunleavy had about a second left on the clock, in the corner, and falling out of bounds. Why in the world would you do anything except stand there?

Tins is just lucky they called it a non-shooting foul, which was VERY surprising. I guess they thought he was looking to pass with a second left on the shotclock. Sometimes a ref's thought process just baffles me.

Agreed. Regardless of whether it was actually a foul or not, Tinsley either A) knowingly slapped at the ball, knowing that Dunleavy was taking a fadeaway, baseline three, and knowing that refs often call swiping at the ball a foul; or B) wasn't aware of the shot-clock situation, which at that time of the game is an unexcusable offense for a PG.

On another downer note, that three that Al hit was just a terrible, terrible shot to take. We're down four with 30 seconds left and Al pulls the trigger on a closely guarded three about 5 seconds into the shot clock. You just have to get a better shot than that. Of course, he drills it and so no one cares, but rushing that shot, when it's too late for a 2 for 1 is really not what we want in that situation.

I couldn't be more happy with Jack right now though. Yes, that shot was huge. But he's playing fantastic basketball all over the court right now. It really is a huge pleasure---and surprise---to me.

pacerwaala
11-30-2006, 09:30 PM
On another downer note, that three that Al hit was just a terrible, terrible shot to take. We're down four with 30 seconds left and Al pulls the trigger on a closely guarded three about 5 seconds into the shot clock. You just have to get a better shot than that. Of course, he drills it and so no one cares, but rushing that shot, when it's too late for a 2 for 1 is really not what we want in that situation.

Even if you get a better shot and make it, you still will be down 4 assuming the worst which is assuming that GS will make the FTs. So you might as well take a three (usually a missed three ends up in a long rebound and there is a chance we get the rebound). You have to make a three at some point.

beast23
11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Agreed. Regardless of whether it was actually a foul or not, Tinsley either A) knowingly slapped at the ball, knowing that Dunleavy was taking a fadeaway, baseline three, and knowing that refs often call swiping at the ball a foul; or B) wasn't aware of the shot-clock situation, which at that time of the game is an unexcusable offense for a PG.
Heaven knows, I'm not a fan of Tinsley's defensive abilities.

But in this one instance, Tinsley played excellent defense. He did NOT "slap" at the ball, but instead "swiped up" at the ball as Dunleavy was going up for his shot. The ref was right on top of the play, and for the life of me, I don't understand how he called the foul.

As you stated, slapping at the ball very often results in a foul. However, swiping up at the ball more often than not results in knocking the ball loose or at least destroying the shooters rhythm if any contact with the ball is made, and very rarely results in a foul.

It was very good defense by Tinsley, and I have no problem with the way he chose to complete the play. You always smother the offensive player when he picks up his dribble, especially when he is jumping directly away from you.

JayRedd
12-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Even if you get a better shot and make it, you still will be down 4 assuming the worst which is assuming that GS will make the FTs. So you might as well take a three (usually a missed three ends up in a long rebound and there is a chance we get the rebound). You have to make a three at some point.

Not necessarilly. To me, you have to treat this like being down 15 in then NFL. If you score a TD, it might make sense to think "Hey, why not go for two and cut it to 7? We're gonna need a 2-pt conversion to tie it up anyway." But if you do that and don't get it, you are down 9 and just let your opponent off the hook big time. In that situation, you have to kick the PAT and be down 8 and leave it as a one possesion game and make the opponent sweat on that.

In the NBA, down 4 with 30 seconds left is an eternity. Al didn't even consider doing anything but heave up a bad shot. I know it went in, but it was still not a good shot at all. That guy was playing him chest-to-chest and had a hand in his mug. Six seconds into the shot clock, you at least need to try to penetrate or try for the quick two. Then you have a few seconds to pick off the inbounds pass, or get a trap or otherwise get a steal. If that doesn't work, you foul and hope they miss one.

Taking a very, very low percentage 3 pointer with 30 seconds left is putting the whole game on the outcome of that shot. Just a low percentage play.

Not trying to whine about a win, but the fact that Al has played in very few important games in his career is somewhat of a liability in these late-game situations.

JayRedd
12-01-2006, 12:09 AM
It was very good defense by Tinsley, and I have no problem with the way he chose to complete the play. You always smother the offensive player when he picks up his dribble, especially when he is jumping directly away from you.

At some point you have to just say "I'm okay with Mike Dunleavy taking an awkward, turnaround fadaway from 23 feet" though and not leave anything up to the ref. Wasn't terrible, and it's of course hard to make your brain not swipe at a ball you think you can knock away, but I'd of rather seen him take his chances with the low-percentage shot the Pacers team D forced than try to make the great play by himself.