PDA

View Full Version : Pacers / Warriors Post Game Thread: Jack > You.

ajbry
11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Even on an off shooting night overall, he nails two absolute clutch 3's down the stretch and had 5 boards, 5 assists, and 3 steals.

The rest of the team played pretty well too, especially Al and Jeff had a great start.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Yeah, kudos to Al tonight. After a brief adjustment period, he seems to be playing quite well at the three.

Jermaine played a good game, as did Foster. In fact, I think that's the first time our whole frontcourt has been "on" in the same game.

Great team effort tonight to pull out a win on a back-to-back, on the road, against a good Golden State team.

Jon Theodore
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
tinsley with the near triple double, i am assuming he really played horrible though and the stats are misleading....right.

:laugh:

ajbry
11-30-2006, 02:05 AM
This team is slowly regaining their swagger, and with the confident players we have on the team, we definitely needed to string together a couple consecutive road wins.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 02:07 AM
I gotta say, Monte Ellis was out of his mind. He was throwing up circus shots like I've never seen before.... at least not from a guy named Ellis.

Some of those were simply amazing. A lot of that's skill, I know, but a lot of that's got to be luck. I know he's been putting up numbers this season but I haven't seen his other games. Is he like that all the time?

Anyway, great win despite a monster game by Ellis.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Just noticed that we had all five starters in double figures, and 3 of the 5 had 20+ points. Also, except for turnovers Jermaine had a very nice line tonight. Shot well, rebounded well, and moved the ball.

I started to complain in the game thread about Jermaine posting up late in the game, but it was picture-perfect at the end there. Perfect pass out to Al Harrington for the three-pointer.

ajbry
All I know is that he is one hell of a player and has progressed so quickly out of high school it's scary. He's definitely going to be a force in the very near future.

AesopRockOn
Right. It was a fantastic win even though they didn't have JRich.

Anybody know where I can see the highlights besides watching Sportscenter for an hour for a twenty second segment?

:gopacers:

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:10 AM
If you look back the last couple of years Jack has flat out owned the Warriors. Sucks to be them I guess.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Watching Harrington drain three after three made me even more glad we didn't pay all that cash to keep Peja. Then I went to see what kind of numbers he's been putting up, and I discovered that he's out with a sore back.

I'm SO GLAD we got Al instead of Peja.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:12 AM

Anybody know where I can see the highlights besides watching Sportscenter for an hour for a twenty second segment?

:gopacers:

Its up on NBA.com

Anthem
They got 30 points out of Monta Ellis, they're not missing JRich.

ajbry
Watching Harrington drain three after three made me even more glad we didn't pay all that cash to keep Peja. Then I went to see what kind of numbers he's been putting up, and I discovered that he's out with a sore back.

Agreed. When Al is playing well, he's much more of an asset to this particular group of players.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Wait never mind NBA.com only has the first half.

ajbry
11-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I wonder how David Stern feels right now, seeing Jack on the front page of NBA.com.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 02:18 AM
I wonder how David Stern feels right now, seeing Jack on the front page of NBA.com.

Probably trying to figure out a way he can make a new rule so he can fine Jackson. Hmm $10000 fine for late game heroics?

ajbry
11-30-2006, 02:20 AM
Funny how Jack and his clone Jamal Crawford both hit game-winners tonight. Anyone see J-Craw's shot?

pacerwaala
11-30-2006, 02:25 AM
I gotta say, Monte Ellis was out of his mind. He was throwing up circus shots like I've never seen before.... at least not from a guy named Ellis.

Some of those were simply amazing. A lot of that's skill, I know, but a lot of that's got to be luck. I know he's been putting up numbers this season but I haven't seen his other games. Is he like that all the time?

Anyway, great win despite a monster game by Ellis.

Anthem

I have seen Monta Ellis in 3 or 4 GSW games and he is truly amazing. He is very quick, has a great spin move and has a good jump shot also. He had a dunk against Denver that was very very good. I think Don Nelson's coaching style and Monta Ellis's game are a good match and that is why he has been putting up good numbers this year. So, if you have a chance to watch him, please do so because he is definitely worht the price of admission.

ajbry
11-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Anthem

I have seen Monta Ellis in 3 or 4 GSW games and he is truly amazing. He is very quick, has a great spin move and has a good jump shot also. He had a dunk against Denver that was very very good. I think Don Nelson's coaching style and Monta Ellis's game are a good match and that is why he has been putting up good numbers this year. So, if you have a chance to watch him, please do so because he is definitely worht the price of admission.

I've seen other people refer to him as Dwyane Wade lite. Would you agree with that?

Isaac
11-30-2006, 02:33 AM
I sort of hate saying this on the internet, because its something that may sound made up, but I actually know Monta.

We played in a basketball camp together about 6 or 7 years ago and were in the same hallway dorms and became friends. I still speak to him on occasion, he's a really good guy.

I think the DWade comparison is actually very good, but he's a better outside shooter.

Evan_The_Dude
11-30-2006, 02:34 AM
I've seen other people refer to him as Dwyane Wade lite. Would you agree with that?

I'd say more like Gilbert Arenas light.

Seed
11-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Wow. I think this was an important win for this team.
Seems to me like RC used this game to make the starters more comfortable & confident with their positions. I mean, take a look at the PT:
Jax - 39.36 min.
Tins - 37.08 min.
JO - 38.59 min.
Al - 38.02 min.

Way above average.
I think the risk paid off (it was close though :)), and this team might be strating to get a shape.

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 02:55 AM
I'll second that about Ellis. Tonight was pretty typical of what he's been doing all season. He torched the Spurs the other night in the 4th quarter

Quis
11-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Monta will be better than Gilbert Arenas.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 02:58 AM
I'll second that about Ellis. Tonight was pretty typical of what he's been doing all season. He torched the Spurs the other night in the 4th quarter
And Golden State won that game.

We weathered that storm, but just barely.

Kingsfanbmiller
11-30-2006, 03:04 AM
The Warriors lost which makes me a very happy man. And it was all cuz Stephen Jack. DUDE IS MY NEW HERO! :D :D :D

CableKC
11-30-2006, 04:13 AM
I just got back from the game and wanted to give my impressions of the game before I went to sleep.

1 ) Surprisingly....SJax seemed to be more passive then usual on the offensive end. Before you SJax-supporters think that I'm complaining that he wasn't taking too many shots....I'm not pointing this out as a negative....cuz he was actively looking for players to pass the ball ( which I think is a real positive ). I was just surprised that he didn't take a few more shots since SJax has had a history of torching the Warriors in past games ( again....something that I don't view as a negative ). Also...I think that the real contribution that he provided ( other then his clutch shots at the end ) was his rather solid defense against BDiddy when both Baron and Ellis were on the floor at the same time. Most of the points that BDiddy had on the Pacers was when Sarunas/DA/Tinsley was covering him. If BDiddy scored on SJax....he made him earn those points.

2 ) Monte Ellis' 10-15 shooting was unreal. Since it was pretty much left to Tinsley ( mostly ), DA and Sarunas to guard him......when he touched the ball......I was hoping that somoene would help the PG defending him ....cuz he was pretty much scoring at will. Ellis seems to be more of a score-rather then pass PG.....and reminds me of a taller version of Earl Boykins. If he's given the chance to score...he will do it. He was even able to a quick floater over JONeal.

3 ) Harrington was amazing from the 3pt arc. The problem was that he was only able to hover outside of the perimeter when JONeal, Foster and Granger were in to cover the pain. I am hoping that he doesn't fall in love with the 3pt shot cuz I really think that playing the Ws....a team with no real perimeter defense...much less a SF that can adequately defend him.....made it much easier for him to drain those 3pt shots. Also...watching the game...he seemed to score his 28 points rather quietly....I didn't even realize that he scored 20+ points until I looked up at the Scoreboard at the 4th QTR and saw his stats.

4 ) Although SJax and Harrington are going to get the ESPN SportsCenter highlights.....Tinsley was the forgotten clutch player in the end...as he was able to hit many important shots in the 4th Quarter that kept us close towards the end of the game. He was able to hit many quick shots...and a few 3pt shots.

5 ) Foster was rather active on the offensive end in the 1st quarter. I don't seem to recall him playing too much in the 4th QTR.....but when he was in.....he did what he did best. I was really surprised that he scored 8 points in the 1st QTR. I really think that we should find ways to get JONeal and Harrington on the floor with "GarbageMen" players like Foster, Powell and Baston so that Harrington can take advantage of any SF mismatch that he will likely generate and get the chance to wander out to the perimeter to hit a 3pt shot. He can't really do this if he is counted on to be the PF on the floor.

6 ) JONeal had yet another great game. I'm not going to say much since his line will say most of it. But since this is one of the few games that I have seen....I did notice that when he gets the ball...it doesn't automatically turn into a "JONeal isolation" play.....he looked for other players to pass it out to....mostly a open Harrington.

The only negative that I will point out is that our overall defense from our PGs against BDiddy and Ellis was really poor. Both BDiddy and Ellis were able to abuse us on the offensive end. Unfortunately, Tinsley was the PG that played the majority of the 4th QTR and was guarding BDiddy towards the end of the game when he was keeping the Ws in the game. But to be fair, this can be said for Sarunas, DA and Tinsley....cuz throughout the entire game....none of them were not able to defend either BDiddy or Ellis. SJax was the only one that provided any real against BDiddy.

Overall, I was surprised that we did win......most notably in a 2nd back to back Road game.

Quis
11-30-2006, 04:29 AM
Jermaine O'Neal A
The usual great game by JO. He does it all.

Danny Granger D
Danny sucked tonight and was badly outplayed by Mike Dunleavy Jr..

Stephen Jackson B
A good overall game but Jackson is still a lousy offensive player, 4-12 from the field.

Jeff Foster A
Probably Fosters best game of the season.

Al Harrington B+
Dynamite offense, but where's the great rebounding he'd been showing us lately?

Jamaal Tinsley A
FACT: Jamaal Tinsley is one of the most complete players in the league.

Sarunas Jasikevicius D+
No.

Darrell Armstrong D+
No again.

Marquis Daniels A+
Quis was simply amazing. He looked like the second coming of Michael Jordan out there.

Trader Joe
11-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Monta Ellis and Gilbert Arenas are so similar its freaky. How does GS just suddenly stumble upon that kind of talent?

Trader Joe
11-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Jermaine O'Neal A

The usual great game by JO. He does it all.

Danny Granger D
Danny sucked tonight and was badly outplayed by Mike Dunleavy Jr..

Stephen Jackson B
A good overall game but Jackson is still a lousy offensive player, 4-12 from the field.

Jeff Foster A
Probably Fosters best game of the season.

Al Harrington B+
Dynamite offense, but where's the great rebounding he'd been showing us lately?

Jamaal Tinsley A
FACT: Jamaal Tinsley is one of the most complete players in the league.

Sarunas Jasikevicius D+
No.

Darrell Armstrong D+
No again.

Marquis Daniels A+

Quis was simply amazing. He looked like the second coming of Michael Jordan out there.

I am so sick and tired of your BS its ridiculous. I like QUis but their is no place for this on the boards. Either talk real centered non-biased ball or leave, please.

317Kim
11-30-2006, 06:51 AM
:woot: We won both games in the back-to-back! First time this season. I still have goosebumps from it.

A few thoughts:
- I think Al found his shot. 6/8 from downtown. That's beastly.
- 10/22 Threes. :-o
- Ellis is a monster.
- Wow, Tins had 23 points, 8 assists, and 8 boards!
- Jermaine and Jeff had double doubles.
- Jeff had 9 first quarter points to get off to a quick start.
- Don Nelson didn't get his 1,200th win.
- One night after having the bench score 40+ points, it only scored 13 points last night.
- 9-7. 1 game behind the Pistons and .5 behind the Cavs.

:boomer:

Isaac
11-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I am so sick and tired of your BS its ridiculous. I like QUis but their is no place for this on the boards. Either talk real centered non-biased ball or leave, please.

He had to be joking, I think he may have been poking fun at himself a little bit. Quis hit some big buckets in this one, that one play was huge where he got the and-1 on Biedrins to give Andris his 5th foul.

Pitons
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, I guess Quis was joking on that. :)

Anthem
11-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Marquis Daniels A+
Quis was simply amazing. He looked like the second coming of Michael Jordan out there.[/center]
:laugh: Ok, at least you can be funny. That makes up for the other stuff.

Putnam
11-30-2006, 01:29 PM
I just had lunch at Bearno's and watched the ESPN Sports Center. Jackson's 3-pointer was #2 in the Top 10 plays of the day. He was beat out by a dunk in the Ohio State game.

I thought it was a great shot. Reminded me of the way somebody else used to win games with killer catch-and-shoot 3s.

Question: When was the last time the Pacers won with a last second shot? I'm thinking of a Jackson lay-up against Philadelphia late last year (3/26) Jasikevicius inbounded to Jackson and he scored from the baseline. It was the same Sunday afternoon game in which Iguodala had that really impressive pinwheel jam while trailing Iverson on a steal and fast break. Anyway, I thought the Pacers won that game in the last second, but the Pacers.com 05-06 record shows the Pacers winning that game by 92-79.

Am I full of crap? Or am I mistaken?

McKeyFan
11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I remember the game. It ended as you said--Runi to Jax for the layup. However, I don't remember the opponent or the exact date or game.

pizza guy
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
And Golden State won that game.

We weathered that storm, but just barely.

Does that mean we're better than the Spurs?

;)

Jon Theodore
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
It was philadepelphia and it was a unguarded layup by Jack, korver fell asleep on defense I believe. And yes that was the only game we won all last season with a last second shot. We had a chance to beat Atlanta one time last year on a Runi three at the buzzer, off a GREAT pass by Tinsley but he just missed it.

But i flipped out last night when I was watching the stats and saw we won.

Unclebuck
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
If we want to get technical last night's wasn't a last second shot, the Warriors had one more chance. Pacers won in Chicago last year on a great pass from Jax to AJ for a layup - the Bulls had I think 4 or 5 seconds left and Gordon missed a running layup

Isaac
11-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Pacers won in Chicago last year on a great pass from Jax to AJ for a layup - the Bulls had I think 4 or 5 seconds left and Gordon missed a running layup

Yeah, that's what I was going to reference.

I do remember the Jack game winning layup against Philly too.

Here's a question for you guys. What is your favorite late game heroic that doesn't include Reggie. I think mine would actually be one that happened a few years ago with Jack hitting the shot against Miami. This was Reggie's last year, and we were playing Miami at home. We trailed by 9 or so with only a few minutes left and ended up coming back. We ran a great play to set Jack up for the game tying 3 at the buzzer and ended up dominating overtime. That was great.

Putnam
11-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's a question for you guys. What is your favorite late game heroic that doesn't include Reggie.

Byron Scott's 3-pointer v. Orlando in 1994.

If you want to niggle, this one "involved" Reggie, since Byron was wide open only because the Magic were double-teaming Reggie ridiculously far from the basket.

This may also be the best example of a playoff series that was over after one game.

Isaac
11-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, that was an awesome series. Orlando came as a team on the rise, a team that was exciting and Shaq was going to knock us around. We just punched them in the mouth and swept their asses. That was great.

D-BONE
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Byron Scott's 3-pointer v. Orlando in 1994.

If you want to niggle, this one "involved" Reggie, since Byron was wide open only because the Magic were double-teaming Reggie ridiculously far from the basket.

This may also be the best example of a playoff series that was over after one game.

That's a great one. How about Smits's game winner from the elbow as time expired v. Orlando. What was that? 1995 playoffs?

jcouts
11-30-2006, 04:52 PM

last I heard, Peja was sitting out with back spasms

SpADeD
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Here's a question for you guys. What is your favorite late game heroic that doesn't include Reggie. I think mine would actually be one that happened a few years ago with Jack hitting the shot against Miami. This was Reggie's last year, and we were playing Miami at home. We trailed by 9 or so with only a few minutes left and ended up coming back. We ran a great play to set Jack up for the game tying 3 at the buzzer and ended up dominating overtime. That was great.

Yea I remember that game, but didn't Tinsley hit a running jumper at the buzzard to make it overtime, and then Jack hit the 3 for the win, I may be mistaken since it was 2 years ago.

Isaac
11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Yea I remember that game, but didn't Tinsley hit a running jumper at the buzzard to make it overtime, and then Jack hit the 3 for the win, I may be mistaken since it was 2 years ago.

No, Jack hit the three to send it to overtime, I remember very clearly because I had amazing seats for that game. 3rd row behind the Pacers bench.

We ended up winning the game by 6 or 7 in OT.

Destined4Greatness
11-30-2006, 06:21 PM
If thats the same one as when Jack missed Foster got the Rebound, and Jack shot again and made it, I would have to go with that Miami game, I think thats the same event.

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, kudos to Al tonight. After a brief adjustment period, he seems to be playing quite well at the three.

Jermaine played a good game, as did Foster. In fact, I think that's the first time our whole frontcourt has been "on" in the same game.

Great team effort tonight to pull out a win on a back-to-back, on the road, against a good Golden State team.
While the Warriors FC has some talent, they were overmatched pretty badly I thought and this was exacerbated by the extensive use of the zone. It felt like to me the Pacers could pass into the center of the lane at will if only they chose to do so and weren't so sloppy with the ball at times. They'd get away from it here and there and it seemed to make the offense breakdown.

On the flipside DA and Saras were really limited by the tough matchups with Baron and Pietrus in the first quarter. Nelson put Mike D in for Ellis and then immediately went to work with the size/strength/speed advantage they had with Pietrus at SG.

Matchups can make guys look unstoppable or like bums at times.

Quis hit some big buckets in this one,
Yeah, but what is up with him joining the Foster/Tinsley team specializing in missing good 2 foot looks. He had a couple of great looks that to his credit he got in the first place, but then missed. You already did the hard stuff, go ahead and finish the deal. :)

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2006, 07:15 PM

A) they all went to OT that year (okay, not the last one ;) ).

B) Tinsley was out, it was AJ and he hit a couple of shots before Jack's big game tying 3

C) I'd forgot that he was 6-11 from 3 and....3 of 17 from inside the arc. Again, that's 3 of 17. I can't remember much about it but man for a guy over 50% from deep that's some awful shooting inside the arc. He still kept his PPS over 1.00 for the game thanks mostly to the 3 ball. In the end it was all good.

D) I was at the OTHER OT game that year where Jack came up big on defense against Wade. Wade tried to drive on him and got denied, settling for a long fadeaway miss with 34 seconds left, and then Wade blantently pushed Jack off (no call, terrible, fans were going nuts) before missing a long 3pt shot and the Pacers held on for the win.

I was 3rd row on that side/end (across from the Pacers bench) and got some good photos (for that crappy camera, not the Rebel I use now) of the team mobbing him for the DEFENSIVE play. AJ is literally hanging from his neck as he and Reggie both hug him right after the horn went off.

Jack had a tech late in the 4th (which they made) on a foul call against Wade that I think everyone in Conseco considered a BS "Jordan call" (and we know Wade can get those...ahem, Dallas) and then he missed a long 3, but he also pulled down a rebound and made the last FG for the Pacers in the 4th, though JO actually gave the Pacers the 87 they went to OT with from the FT line.

In OT Wade only scored 2 FTs after Harrison fouled him, missed 3 FGs, had a 4th blocked by JO, and fouled Jack when he pulled down an offensive rebound off a Croshere miss.

It was another bad shooting night for Jack, but he played that great defense and pulled down 10 rebounds to boot.

Still the Smits game is the best non-Reggie, with Scott and then Best vs MIL after that (game winners/savers at least). Person vs Boston in game 5 was another but they came up a little short.

imawhat
11-30-2006, 07:20 PM
The game vs. Miami where Jax hit that three is one of my favourite all-time games. Does anyone remember Reggie getting really hot in OT and pulling out moves that he hadn't used in years?

pacerwaala
11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Monta Ellis and Gilbert Arenas are so similar its freaky. How does GS just suddenly stumble upon that kind of talent?

Monta Ellis is good but I am not sure I would put him in Arenas's league yet.

Arenas is taller for a point guard, he has incredible range (lot more range thatn Monta Ellis) and has done it on a consistent basis for the last 3-4 years. Arenas can play the two also to an extent which Monta cannot.

When compared to Wade, Monta Ellis is too light and can easily be pushed around. He is good, he needs to bulk up a bit but then he won't be as qucik.

Anthem
11-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Monta Ellis is good but I am not sure I would put him in Arenas's league yet.
He is a freak of nature, is supposed to be a point guard but prefers to score at will, got drafted by Golden State in the second round, and will bolt to a better team once his contract is up because Golden State wont have the money to keep him.

Sounds like Arenas to me.

Fireball Kid
11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Marquis Daniels A+

What exactly are you basing this on?

Edit: Oh wait. Your just being funny. HaHa.

JayRedd
12-01-2006, 12:19 AM

How about that great play by that really skinny dude with big ears where he catches the inbound pass, blows by his man with a quick first step from the top of the key and then throws down a two-handed power dunk over two Nets to send a Playoff game into OT?

Oh wait....that was Reggie too.

Instead, I vote for Byron also.