PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle a Politician or Statesman?

McKeyFan
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Having read several interviews of Rick Carlisle, and also listened to his radio show a view times, I've reached the conclusion that I really like this guy.

Certainly, I hate his decisions sometimes. But, overall, I like him as a coach. However, personally, I like him a lot. He's really a class dude, and he's one hell of a politician. Or, to give it a positive spin, he's a statesman.

This post is a bit warm and fuzzy, but, heck, I've been posting negative stuff quite regularly lately, so I hope it all balances out. But anyway, I like Rick's thoughts on family (and keeping things in perspective), I like the fact that he has an avocation like playing jazz piano, I like his self-deprecating humor when he tells stories of his days as a player.

At the top of the list, I'm impressed with his restraint. How easy would it be to trash players, disclose confidences, blame others, etc., night in and night out in the NBA? Carlisle, the statesman/politician, is very careful with his words while also understanding the media's need for information and the fact that the NBA is business and entertainment as well as a competition.

I'm not surprised he was elevated to management. People may vociferously disagree with his coaching decisions, but I would think it is hard to complain about him as a human being.

Putnam
11-28-2006, 12:42 PM
People may vociferously disagree with his coaching decisions, but I would think it is hard to complain about him as a human being.

I'll go along with both sides of that. I hope everyone does.

Isaac
11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Very good post.

pizza guy
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not surprised he was elevated to management. People may vociferously disagree with his coaching decisions, but I would think it is hard to complain about him as a human being.

Anytime the word "vociferously" is used on here, the post should be nominated for Post of the Year.

Indyfan
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Well said. I think that may the one thing we underappreciate about RC, and only after he is gone will we realize how good a statesman he really is.

AesopRockOn
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
:ohyeah:

Naptown_Seth
11-29-2006, 06:35 AM
I've said since day 1 that RC in interviews RARELY calls a player out and that Rick was the perfect coach for the brawl aftermath because of his level demeanor.

You can ask him about any player and he seemingly has a positive spin for them no matter what. The few times he's been openly critical of a player it's usually been pretty bad at that point (he ripped into Ron during his first year after a really poor effort/attitude during a game), and he often is very quick to point out the good from a player in the very next game (if the player earns it).

This is why I like Rick, he seems to take the "what comes from it" attitude toward bad mouthing his guys. He won't resort to lying, he works to present the best positive comment he can on just about any situation.

I've bumped into him very briefly in person after a couple of games and I would say that he carries himself exactly as you read from radio, TV and printed interviews.

Personally I suspect that he has to muster up a bit of fake anger in order to get on the refs when he wants to impact his players or deflect the refs attention to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he whispered to a ref to give him a tech in a few seconds because he wants to get his players fired up. :)

I mean this completely sincerely. After Bird left and then after Mora left the 2 coaches I most admired and who topped my wish list to come to Indy were Rick Carlisle and Tony Dungy. After how the Zeke thing went I thought Rick was gone for good (who saw Bird returning to do the dirty work and build the bridge back to RC), and in no way did I think Tony would be fired in the first place, let alone fall into the Colts' lap.

Coaches make teams, and while the Pacers have had their share of issues I'd say that its been dampened a lot more than it could have been, simply due to Rick. You think Ron's TV demand to be traded and calling out of Rick's ability would have been met so politely by Riley or even Nelson...just imagine Larry Brown in that spot.

I hope both coaches remain in Indy for a long, long time because in the end I think both will have established a quality of player and team that win or not the city can be proud of.

They are foremost great community members and role models for children. Kind, positive, calm and resilient.

NPFII
11-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Sure, Rick's a nice guy, and intelligent, and all that.

But can he win a championship?!

Who was the last "nice guy" who won one?

Bottom line - coaches can't be just "nice guys" or "statesmen/politicians" - they have to take media heat off the players. They need to be interesting people. They need to have character, brains and guts. Psycologically - a coach's profile should be more extrovert than introvert.

Carlisle is missing on a lot of those aspects. To top it all, he's got a bunch of selfish players who have no idea what he's talking about, and he cant reach them mentally, cause they dont really appreciate "nice guys". Rick can be a great assistant coach, and a successful head coach - but he doesn't have "what it takes" to win it all.