PDA

View Full Version : Just for Discussion: Ben Wallace

indygeezer
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43434/20061127/wallace_skiles_tension_has_been_brewing_since_trai ning_camp/

OK, just for discussion....could we/should we if we could grab Big Ben away from Chicago and what would he mean for the Pacers?

(How ironic would THAT be to lose Artest and then grab Ben to play for the P's)

Jon Theodore
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Unless we are trading Jo/Tins for Hinrich/Ben no thank you. Yes I know the Bulls would laugh at that trade.

But either way Wallace is overpaid, so NO.

Frank Slade
11-27-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43434/20061127/wallace_skiles_tension_has_been_brewing_since_trai ning_camp/

OK, just for discussion....could we/should we if we could grab Big Ben away from Chicago and what would he mean for the Pacers?

Given the circumstances of late the thought did cross my mind. Age and size of contract are a concern, although it's the same length as Al's.
His intensity, demeanor and skill set would seem to compliment JO and Granger nicely.

I believe 12/15 is the magic date when Al or Ben can be traded.

I'm not sure if Paxson would want to get rid of Ben right now, although I do think other players, like Gordon, Deng, Nocioni and or the 1st Rd pick may be on the way out soon, if thier situation does not improve.

Alabama-Redneck
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Okay Geeze, did you overheat your Ovaltine this morning or what. Ben doesn't fit our future plans, what ever they may be. If we were one piece away from a championship maybe but he is too pricey for our current team and on his way down.

His best years are now and the next 2 and we are not ready yet. I think it will take us at least this year to convert into what ever we are converting into !!! Wow, I must have drank waaaay to much rum to make such a profound statement like that.

Anyway, nice thought but we need young prospects now and yes I had a great time in Jamicia. :blush: :D

:cool:

Trader Joe
11-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Ben's contract makes me want to puke.

pizza guy
11-27-2006, 11:51 AM
No.

indygeezer
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I'm jealous too.

J_2_Da_IzzO
11-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Could we? Yes

Should we? Yes

Imagine a front court of Granger, JO and Ben. Makes me drool thinking about it. It gives JO the type of player he wanted most this off season because Ben can rebound very well and is also a very good shotblocker. He also does not demand the ball on offense like Al does. JO could get things done on offense with the occasional help from Ben and they can both work as a tandem on defense. I dont think ANY player in the league would like to drive against JO and Ben.

I believe they would compliment each other so well on offense and defense. I can only dream.

Pitons
11-27-2006, 12:41 PM
No way.

diamonddave00
11-27-2006, 01:13 PM
No way Ben Wallace is an old 32. Look at the other night 20 minutes 0 points-blocks or rebounds -4 years 60 million dollar contract no way I'd want him. His act had worn old in Detroit they made no real effort to resign him after dealing Arroyo and Milicic to create room agaist the luxury tax , they knew what Chicago is discovering Ben's on the downside of his career and sliding quickly. No way he's worth 15 mil a year for 4 years.

Plus he bad mouthed Rick after Carlisle left Detroit , whinned about Larry Brown- Flip Saunders and now Scott Skilles -I'd stay as far away from acquiring the malconent as I could.

Mourning
11-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Absolutely NOT!

Naptown_Seth
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Well the team has been lacking players that defy the coach and carry a chip on their shoulder. Also it's been a long time since they had an overpriced contract on the books, so they are about due for one of those as well.

pizza guy
11-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Could we? Yes

Should we? Yes

Imagine a front court of Granger, JO and Ben. Makes me drool thinking about it. It gives JO the type of player he wanted most this off season because Ben can rebound very well and is also a very good shotblocker. He also does not demand the ball on offense like Al does. JO could get things done on offense with the occasional help from Ben and they can both work as a tandem on defense. I dont think ANY player in the league would like to drive against JO and Ben.

I believe they would compliment each other so well on offense and defense. I can only dream.

True, a JO, Ben, and Danny frontcourt would allow roughly ZERO points in the paint.

Problem is, it also keeps US from scoring OUTSIDE the paint. Shooting is the first issue we need to address.

Moses
11-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry, I would never want Ben for how much he costs. He has a rediculous contract.

Seed
11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I think he is THE kind of player JO needs beside him. This would form the most intimidating front court in the league.

Yes we will be ugly, but face it - we're ugly anyway.. We should just accept it and take it all the way.

Roaming Gnome
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
:shakehead Nope. Not even if they'd let me set his :fro: on fire every night.

Even if I could get over the fact that it was his rediculous reaction that started 11/19, or that his brother would be in the stands of the Fieldhouse to watch him play... I wouldn't want his contract.

Slick Pinkham
11-27-2006, 05:43 PM
overpaid, one-dimensional, rapidly fading, prima donna.

not a chance, hopefully

Kaufman
11-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I think as naptown stated, the better story here for discussion is why Ben Wallace felt that he was above the team rules.

BlueNGold
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Harrison, Harrington and chump change for Ben should get it done based on how he is responding. We need a real man in the middle on this team. Ben has at least a few years left in the tank.

I like Al...but he just don't fit.

EDIT: JO is not going to be in his prime forever. This iteration of the team will be dismantled within a few years if things do not get better.

diamonddave00
11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
There is a little thing called the salary cap that needs to be met in trading for Ben Wallace and is 4 year 60 mil contract (something I want no part of).

You suggested Al Harrington (7.6mil) and David Harrison (739,000)and chump change -well in this case chump change equals 8million more in salary .

They'd want no part of larger salaries Tinsley and Jackson.

So next best inclusions are either Jeff Foster (5.2) or Daniels (5.9) mil since Wallace is their main rebounder that means including Foster .

You still need to add nearly 2 mil more in salary to make it work - Powell or Marshall and Greene = 1.4 mil

So in the end its Ben Wallace for Al Harrington , David Harrison,Jeff Foster , Rawle Marshall or Josh Powell and Orien Greene just to work capwise.

Thats a horrible deal Ben Wallace at 4 years 60 million is in no way something the Pacers should even remotely consider.

BlueNGold
11-28-2006, 12:09 AM
There is a little thing called the salary cap that needs to be met in trading for Ben Wallace and is 4 year 60 mil contract (something I want no part of).

You suggested Al Harrington (7.6mil) and David Harrison (739,000)and chump change -well in this case chump change equals 8million more in salary .

They'd want no part of larger salaries Tinsley and Jackson.

So next best inclusions are either Jeff Foster (5.2) or Daniels (5.9) mil since Wallace is their main rebounder that means including Foster .

You still need to add nearly 2 mil more in salary to make it work - Powell or Marshall and Greene = 1.4 mil

So in the end its Ben Wallace for Al Harrington , David Harrison,Jeff Foster , Rawle Marshall or Josh Powell and Orien Greene just to work capwise.

Thats a horrible deal Ben Wallace at 4 years 60 million is in no way something the Pacers should even remotely consider.

Let's assume Harrington and Harrison are enough quality to get it done. You know they pursued Al, so there is strong interest there. I can understand that since they took an aging PJ Brown. Considering the discord between Ben and management...and his fat contract, that might work talent wise...particularly if you throw in Jack too.

Now, let's talk about the money.

First, you say they would choke on Jack's contract. I think they could swallow Jack's contract much easier than Ben's. Also, Jack's contract is voidable if he is convicted. It would come right off their books and they could use the savings to retain other key pieces. Otherwise, he makes a good backup and his stock is as low as it's going to get...at least outside Indy.

This should leave us in pretty good shape with Marshall and Quis at SG. It would eliminate the PF controversy (AL and JO). It would eliminate our rebounding problems and soft underbelly. It would open up room for other PF's (Williams, Baston, Powell, etc.). We would be an incredibly good defensive team with Ben in the middle. Finally a tough interior presence on the Pacers..for the first time since Dale Davis.

JO turns 29 next year and if something is not done within a couple years, this iteration of the Pacers is going nowhere. Ben is exactly what JO needs in the middle.

Eindar
11-28-2006, 01:42 AM
No way.

I agree that we could really use a good rebounder who can block shots and doesn't need a ton of shots, who also plays good post defense. But Wallace's contract is too big for too long, and he's fading rapidly. I think by this time next year he'll be little more than a roleplayer, and that's only if Hinrich lets him sit in on his monthly D&D sessions. :D

I think the most disappointing thing about this offseason was that both Przybilla and Nazr Mohammed were on the market, and we didn't secure either of them. Surely our 1st could have landed either in a S&T, and while not nearly as talented as Al, they would have been a much better fit.

Peck
11-28-2006, 03:04 AM

Jermaine's contract makes me wanna puke.

Trader Joe
11-28-2006, 05:41 AM

I'm glad that really applied to the topic at hand. We can't do anything about JO's contract, but we can avoid compounding the problem by adding a 32 year old player owed 60 million over the next 4 years.

hoopsforlife
11-28-2006, 06:26 AM

Peck: Its not so bad a contract. We get a big man who can shoot, rebound and pass, an assistant coach plus a budding GM in one package. CO'Nsider the RA trade demands. It pretty evident the Pacer have the best of all worlds.

I noticed you called him "Coach O'Neal" in another thread. Shorten that to CO'N
instead of JO and it works considering his contract.

CO'N is a really good player, almost god like when you think about it. :)

Quis
11-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Unless we are trading Jo/Tins for Hinrich/Ben no thank you. Yes I know the Bulls would laugh at that trade.

But either way Wallace is overpaid, so NO.

Kirk Hinrich (overrated)
Stephen Jackson
Danny Granger
Al Harrington
Ben Wallace (old and washed up)

Wow....and I thought the current team was going nowhere in a hurry...

Keep overrated, overpaid, over the hill Ben Wallace and his bad attitude far away from the Pacers.

Shade
11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
NO

PacerFreak31
11-28-2006, 06:13 PM
I believe 12/15 is the magic date when Al or Ben can be traded.

I was going to make a new post about AL but someone that I think would be great for this team is Rashard Lewis from Seattle. I know he is at the last year of his contract but he can shoot and rebound. He can also hit the 3. He is also a legit SF. I think he would compliment JO really well and is a proven player. We would be getting the same thing with him that we do with AL just in a different way. Lewis is a good shooter and can score from the outside and is consistent on far more nights than Harrington. Thoughts?

Naptown_Seth
11-29-2006, 07:09 AM
So as I was explaining the little drama to my wife it suddenly occurred to me that I had heard this story somewhere before...I have altered it slightly to fit.

Skiles recounting the headband encounter to a group of friends:

For those of you who haven't coached, let me explain the brain damage. You come out of the locker room and see a player wearing a headband in warmups, so you ask them to take it off and you put it down on the bench. You go to get your diagram board, the player comes walking by and picks up the headband and starts to put it on.

You say "Give me that! Didn't I just tell you not to wear that?!?"

The player says "uh-huh".

You say "What did I just say?!"

"You said for to not for to wear the headband."

"So every time I tell you that, don't I? I say, 'When you find a headband, don't you wear it. Don't I say that?"

"Uh-huh"

"Now tell me what I said."

"You said for to not for to wear the headband."

"That's right!"

You put it down, you go to get the stat sheets, the player picks it up again. And quickly starts to put it back on.

You say "Give me that! Didn't I just tell you?"

He says "Uh-huh"

"Well, why did you do it?"

"I don't know."

Well, that's brain damage! If you know you're not supposed to do something and you do it and then people say, "Why did you do it?" and you say, "I don't know."

Brain damage.

Apologies to Bill Cosby. :D