PDA

View Full Version : Pistons' Biggest Advantage? Coaching.

Anthem
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Watching the game today reminded me why I love Larry Brown. Yeah, it's still the honeymoon, and he hasn't worn on the players yet, but my goodness can that man coach. I mean, he's obviously done a great job preparing the players, and his offensive and defensive sets are top notch, but he also makes such good in-game adjustments.

I can't see Jersey winning this series. It's not because of personell. It's because I can't see Larry Brown losing this series. If I'm Detroit, I've got to feel that the Pistons could win this series even if spotting one of the starting five. Larry's got that team working as a seamless whole.

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 10:56 PM
not to be a smartass but it's just the 1st game , I'm gonna wait til game 2 before I count out the Nets.

Anthem
05-03-2004, 10:58 PM
not to be a smartass but it's just the 1st game , I'm gonna wait til game 2 before I count out the Nets.

Oh, I'm not counting out the Nets. I think rust had more to do with tonights game than many are giving credit for, as they shot terribly even when they had good looks. But I thought there was a very clear difference in the ability of the opposing coaches to manage the game.

Didn't you?

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 11:00 PM
yes I agree with you points on coaching so far :D But I think the Pistons have the advantage of staying instride with less rest than the nets had.

sweabs
05-03-2004, 11:13 PM
I'll count out the Nets - I seriously think Pistons will win this series easily...I'm pretty confident on that statement - I'll use the avatar of someones choice for a week if I'm wrong - haha!

Anthem
05-04-2004, 12:01 AM
I'll count out the Nets - I seriously think Pistons will win this series easily...I'm pretty confident on that statement - I'll use the avatar of someones choice for a week if I'm wrong - haha!

Well, I'm pretty durned sure that the Pistons will be in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I think the rest of the games, however, will be much closer than this one. They should win a couple.

Reggie4Three
05-04-2004, 12:39 AM

I'm going to wait until they win a game in New Jersey or Game 7. Nobody does anything until they win on the other team's court, and the Pistons still have to defend theirs for one more game before they get a shot to win in New Jersey.

TheSauceMaster
05-04-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm going to wait until they win a game in New Jersey or Game 7. Nobody does anything until they win on the other team's court, and the Pistons still have to defend theirs for one more game before they get a shot to win in New Jersey.

Very true , If Detriot Holds Home Court and then the Nets in return Hold Home court , it will come down to the team that can steal one on the road.

Anthem
05-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Nobody does anything until they win on the other team's court, and the Pistons still have to defend theirs for one more game before they get a shot to win in New Jersey.

They held the defending Eastern Conference Champs under 60 points in a playoff opener.

Do you really think they'll have trouble defending their home court?

Bball
05-04-2004, 02:14 AM
Nobody does anything until they win on the other team's court, and the Pistons still have to defend theirs for one more game before they get a shot to win in New Jersey.

They held the defending Eastern Conference Champs under 60 points in a playoff opener.

While anything is possible I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pistons sweep the Nets. Nets win 1 game at best IMHO. Detroit is that good and well-coached... and determined... and experienced...

I don't think the Nets have what it takes to compete with them and that Piston defense is demoralizing.

Call me crazy but I think the Pacers are Detroit's biggest hurdle to an NBA Championship. IOW, the Spurs vs Lakers game isn't the 'NBA Championship Game'. If the Pacers stumble in this next round then it is Detroit all the way.

-IF- the Pacers meet Detroit and Detroit beats them in the ECF's then I see the East getting an NBA trophy. I'm not counting the Pacers out BUT if Detroit can beat the Pacers in a best of 7 with the Pacers having homecourt then that would be validation to just how tough Detroit is going to be.

I'm not sure the Pacers beating Detroit gives me quite the 'almost sure thing' feeling about the Pacers' chances. Of course a lot depends on how the Pacers handle Detroit. Maybe they can show me I am over-rating Larry Brown and Detroit's defense at this point in the year.

-Bball

Kstat
05-04-2004, 02:58 AM
This isn't just the better team. This is revenge. We have not even BEGUN to throw everything we have at the Nets.....this is 12 months of pent up anger and embarrassment about to be repaid.

http://home.comcast.net/~k.trudeau/Nets.jpg

Reggie4Three
05-04-2004, 03:56 AM

I think the Nets will play much better than they did tonight, and if they play 4 games in Detroit, I would think they will have chances to win one or two of them.

Kstat
05-04-2004, 04:37 AM

I think the Nets will play much better than they did tonight, and if they play 4 games in Detroit, I would think they will have chances to win one or two of them.You are assuming the Nets win all their home games. Not gonna happen.

Unclebuck
05-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Kstat must be feeling pretty good right now. Rightfully so.

The Nets offense is ill suited to contend with the Pistons defense.

The Pistons first and foremost shut off the lane, (people talk about their pressure defense, but it is the interior defense that is so tough). The Nets want dunks, layups, alley-oops, low post ups, slashing to the basket, back doors. They won't get those against the Pistons. If the Pistons can keep the Nets out of transition, Nets cannot and will not score a lot of points.

The Bucks offense was actually very well suited to contend with the Pistons defense. (Bucks aren't that good overall)

Against the Pistons you have to divide and conquer. What I mean by that is you have to spread the floor. Floor spacing is crucial. You have to have a guard or small forward who can beat their man off the dribble, and then you have to draw and kick for open long shots and you have to hit those. You cannot run a system offense like the Nets do.

TheSauceMaster
05-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Kstat must be feeling pretty good right now. Rightfully so.

The Nets offense is ill suited to contend with the Pistons defense.

The Pistons first and foremost shut off the lane, (people talk about their pressure defense, but it is the interior defense that is so tough). The Nets want dunks, layups, alley-oops, low post ups, slashing to the basket, back doors. They won't get those against the Pistons. If the Pistons can keep the Nets out of transition, Nets cannot and will not score a lot of points.

The Bucks offense was actually very well suited to contend with the Pistons defense. (Bucks aren't that good overall)

Against the Pistons you have to divide and conquer. What I mean by that is you have to spread the floor. Floor spacing is crucial. You have to have a guard or small forward who can beat their man off the dribble, and then you have to draw and kick for open long shots and you have to hit those. You cannot run a system offense like the Nets do.

I agree UB , it would be hard to disagree with what you just said :) The Nets right now are like fish outta water , they need easy points and I don't see many of those so far for the Nets.

Hicks
05-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Unclebuck, my question to you is what are the Pacers going to do to win? I know we can penetrate, but can we really afford to settle for long jumpers? Especially with post players like JO and Ron on the floor, which is were they're best at?

Unclebuck
05-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Unclebuck, my question to you is what are the Pacers going to do to win? I know we can penetrate, but can we really afford to settle for long jumpers? Especially with post players like JO and Ron on the floor, which is were they're best at?

I have not thought all this through yet, as we aren't there yet.

The worst thing the Pacers can try and do is to "change their game" and try to become something they are not. As I was watching the game last night I was thinking that the Pacers during the Bird era, 1998-2000 would be perfectly suited to contend with the Pistons current defense.

Back to the current Pacers team. I see the Pacers running a lot of high pick and rolls in the cneter of the court, stay away from the sidelines at all costs. Getting J.O deep post ups will be huge. Right now I don't know what to make of Prince, but he looks like the Pistons best player, and that is scary. Artest destroyed Prince during the regular season, but I don't think that will happen now.

The key to the Pacers v Pistons series will be whose defense creates easier shots for their offense. If the Pistons can force the Pacers to take long outside shots, that will lead to long rebs and easier transition baskets. Pacers defense can contain the Pistons halfcourt offense, that does not worry me, but if the Pacers offense is destroyed then the Pistons will get easy looks.

waxman
05-04-2004, 03:40 PM
The Nets are soft...Richard Jefferson played like a little vagina last night....and as hard as Kenyon likes to act...his post game is soft...and one dimensional... plus that Collins kid is a waste of space.

I thought New Jersey was gonna come out with a lot of energy and push the ball.... even after made baskets to keep Detroits defense off balance...and maybe pull out this first game....but go on to lose the series to Detroit once they adjusted.

I also expected New Jersey to put alot more pressure on the ball then they did....but they just let Detroit waltz the ball upcourt and dribble pretty much uncontested where ever they wanted. They tried playing Detroit kind of ball and were embarrassed.

That was a pathetic performance by New Jersey.

Reggie4Three
05-04-2004, 03:40 PM

I think the Nets will play much better than they did tonight, and if they play 4 games in Detroit, I would think they will have chances to win one or two of them.You are assuming the Nets win all their home games. Not gonna happen.

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. That's kind of why I said in the first place that I wouldn't write off the Nets UNTIL they lose a home game and the Pistons hold homecourt in game two.

If it's all the same to you, I think they'll go ahead and let them play the games still. :rolleyes:

whodean
05-04-2004, 04:08 PM
As far as I'm concerned you MAY AS WELL call the series over.