PDA

View Full Version : Pacers & Spurs Final Bad for the league

SycamoreKen
05-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Has anyone else heard this and an as tired of it as I am? :mad: Even the local goofs on the radio here said that ABC and the league would hate to see that match-up. Actually, anything not involving the Lakers would kill them.

If small markets are so troublesome, why don't they contract to the top 12, see below, pass out the players, and then live the good life? It would sure free up my time. The NBA is getting as bad as baseball is. I'm sure that if they could set the Lakers up like the Yankees they would in a second. Throw in a Philly or Boston on the East coast to give some competition then they would be set.

Maybe the lack of games is getting to me and I'm reading too much, but the next time Stern runs his mouth about the Lakers I may just lose it.

Top 12 TV markets:

City TV Households % of US
1 New York 7,376,330 6.804
2 Los Angeles 5,402,260 4.983
3 Chicago 3,399,460 3.136
4 Philadelphia 2,874,330 2.651
5 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,440,920 2.252
6 Boston (Manchester) 2,391,830 2.206
7 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,255,970 2.081
8 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn) 2,224,070 2.052
9 Atlanta 2,035,060 1.877
10 Detroit 1,923,230 1.774
11 Houston 1,848,770 1.705
12 Seattle-Tacoma 1,685,480 1.555

Indy is 25 San Antonio is 37

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

(Thanks for reading my rant. You may now return to your regular forum viewing. ;) )

MSA2CF
05-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Screw everyone and anyone who thinks that.

I don't care if it's bad; it's my team and I want it to make the Finals & win it no matter who it faces.

Jose Slaughter
05-04-2004, 04:27 AM
Interesting that 7 cities in the top 12 has teams that didn't even make the playoffs & only 2 of the top 12 (Det & LA) got out of the first round.

NewYawk
05-04-2004, 11:30 AM
A Pacers-Spurs Final would be great for the NBA. Those are 2 great NBA teams with 2 bonafide MVP candidates. One team is the defending world champs. If ABC can't market that, ABC STINKS AND SHOULDN'T CARRY NBA GAMES!!! Dear network morons: if you can't get people to watch Tim Duncan face off against Jermaine O'Neal, your marketing stinks and you should FIRE your ad staff. Dear NBA morons: stop marketing Shaq, Yao, and Lebron. Market your TEAMS, your CITIES, your HISTORY. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF CLEVELAND, LA, or HOUSTON cares about Shaq, Yao, or Lebron. Stop the stupid Sprite commericals; The retarded guy talking to the cut outs of Shaq and Yao. Market your teams. Talk about the game: the beauty of a no-look pass; the perfect jump shot; etc. Stop with this annoying, excessive individualism crap. Jordan is gone. Get over it.

Market your teams. That way, when a great series like a potential Pacers-Spurs series pops up, people outisde of SA and Indy will actually care.

grace
05-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Who cares if its bad for the leauge. Who else loves the thought of Stephen A. Smith having to spend 2 weeks shuddling between San Antonio and Indy? :evillaugh:

TheSauceMaster
05-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Who cares if its bad for the leauge. Who else loves the thought of Stephen A. Smith having to spend 2 weeks shuddling between San Antonio and Indy? :evillaugh:

That's funny you say that cause yesterday he was on ESPN radio filling in for Dan Patrick and He was talking about the potential of being in San Antonio and he happen to speak lowly of the thought of being in Detriot or Indiana :laugh: :laugh:

Personally I would Love to see 2 small market teams , I am tired of all the big market hype :unimpressed:

NewYawk
05-04-2004, 11:40 AM

That's funny you say that cause yesterday he was on ESPN radio filling in for Dan Patrick and He was talking about the potential of being in San Antonio and he happen to speak lowly of the thought of being in Detriot or Indiana :laugh: :laugh:

Personally I would Love to see 2 small market teams , I am tired of all the big market hype :unimpressed:

Steven A. Smith, a reporter in PHILLY, is complaining about Indiana and Detroit?

:unimpressed:

Steven A. Smith = moron

No one from Philly has the right to bash anyone else's city. Philly is the butthole of America.

Millerartest
05-04-2004, 06:59 PM
I can tell you from an activist perspective that it's all about the hype. This is the type of thing that comes back to haunt the league for giving teams like the Pacers virtually no coverage, and no hype.

Imagine for instance, watching commercials showing highlights of all the Pacers young guns and ending with slogans like "The future has arrived," and the networks playing them over and over. Imagine if we heard more about Reggie Miller's last shot at a championship (you can always exaggerate) than about Kobe's court case, and showing his playoff exploits as regular commercials.

It's a difficult situation, but part of the problem is that the networks look at short term goals. They look at the ratings that they can get on any given day instead of what they may need in the future.

I will tell you this, anybody who saw the Kings/Lakers two years ago know what type of outcome the officials can make in close games. Not that all officials do that, but sometimes it's just hard to explain why the big markets always get the big calls.

More than anything, I will never forget the Pacers first trip to the Eastern Conference finals. After the Pacers missed their shot in the closing seconds, down by one, Reggie comitted a standard intentional foul. An official called it flagrant bringing in the dagger to send the bigger market through. Instead of being down two or three with the ball, the Pacers ended up down four or five and with no chance. No one who saw that play could possibly justify an experienced official calling a flagrant in that situation. No one. It's usually not the final play of the game, but the ones right before, and in rare cases like that, the ones right after in which the big markets make their mark.

And in reference to the push-off that Reggie comitted against Jordan that people think disprove the conspiracy theory, the more games the better. A foul would have been called in game 7 of the ECF. It was all about getting Chicago on as many times as possible.

But maybe it's just me. Though I have heard other coaches, like Larry Brown, mention that in order to win against NY, they have to win by a wide margin. And don't ask me for a quote. All I have to go on is my fallible memory.