PDA

View Full Version : Blackout restrictions

Big Smooth
11-25-2006, 02:59 AM
Probably been posted before but since this issue is affecting me in the Fort Wayne area for the first time since I can remember, I'm trying to make sense of it.

In the past, if you had Directv and ordered Sports Pack then you at least got the Pacers home games on FSN Midwest without a League Pass subscription.

This season, I have the same setup but I've been blacked out by FSN Indiana for every game except one. That one game fell after the free preview period so I'm not sure why I got to see it. Every game since then, home or away, has been blacked out to me.

Yet my dad lives in the same area with the exact same Directv subscription and I was able to watch the Pacers @ Magic game on Wednesday night. And my dad was able to watch the Cavs game tonight on FSN Indiana. But it was blacked out for me. In the same area.

The default Directv response will be that the NBA determines blackout rules but this is obviously something a bit more involved. Something is messed up here but I don't know where to even start as far as talking to Directv.

Am I missing something here?

Bball
11-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Does your dad have a different zip code than you? AFAIK, they go by the zip codes.

-BBall

Eindar
11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
If it's a zip code thing, you need to get your dad to pay the $5 a month for another receiver, then take it to your house so you can watch the games.

Roaming Gnome
11-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I feel sorry for all of you that are suffering with coverage up in Fort Wayne. I use to live there and had to keep both league pass and that worthless ol' "sports pack" just to be assured I would catch the Pacers.

Big Smooth, you ask a question that I spent a lot of time trying to get answered, but never did. I think the answer lies somewhere between FSN and the Pacers media dept. One time I did get someone at DirecTV that gave me more then the scripted response and actually understood the blackout rules. What he told me was that blackouts are controlled by Zip Codes and the actual authority that determins blackouts within those zip codes is the "Team" that controls that territory. ie. your answer lies somewhere in the bowels of the Fieldhouse.

Ragnar
11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
According to Direct TV the NBA (probably the Pacers) have determined that all zip codes from 46700 through 46899 are in market for league pass. Meaning that you can NOT watch the games on league pass it would be blacked out.

Unfortunately FSN has those same markets as Out of Market meaning that they are blacked out on FSN. I just spend the last two weeks arguing with direct TV on this very issue.

I had both league pass and sports pack and still could only randomly watch a game here or there.

My final solution was not ideal but I get to watch all the games now. You cant get all the games on comcast or on Dish so your only solution is to "move" to Indianapolis or at least out of the 467 through 468 zip codes.

You would lose your locals but you would gain the Indy locals.

Big Smooth
11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
According to Direct TV the NBA (probably the Pacers) have determined that all zip codes from 46700 through 46899 are in market for league pass. Meaning that you can NOT watch the games on league pass it would be blacked out.

Unfortunately FSN has those same markets as Out of Market meaning that they are blacked out on FSN. I just spend the last two weeks arguing with direct TV on this very issue.

I had both league pass and sports pack and still could only randomly watch a game here or there.

My final solution was not ideal but I get to watch all the games now. You cant get all the games on comcast or on Dish so your only solution is to "move" to Indianapolis or at least out of the 467 through 468 zip codes.

You would lose your locals but you would gain the Indy locals.

My dad is 46725, I'm 46825. So it still doesn't make sense to me how he can see the games. :D

Oh well. My cousin "moved" to Indy a while back. ;)

Glad I didn't buy League Pass this year if that is the case.

Ragnar
11-26-2006, 02:39 AM
My dad is 46725, I'm 46825. So it still doesn't make sense to me how he can see the games. :D

Oh well. My cousin "moved" to Indy a while back. ;)

Glad I didn't buy League Pass this year if that is the case.

Its possible that there is a glitch in the system. So is he seeing every game?

reiter883r
11-26-2006, 12:13 PM
My dad is 46725, I'm 46825. So it still doesn't make sense to me how he can see the games.

I also live in Fort Wayne (46804 zip code). I have Dish Network and get all the games televised on FSI -- no blackouts.

I can't imagine why DirecTV would operate under a different set of restrictions.

Big Smooth
12-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Maybe it's old news by now but FSN Indiana is no longer getting blacked out by Directv in Fort Wayne!!!! :D

Ragnar
12-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe it's old news by now but FSN Indiana is no longer getting blacked out by Directv in Fort Wayne!!!! :D

Hey thanks for the info I can "move" back now wohoo!!