PDA

View Full Version : JO going back into the post more?

ROCislandWarrior
05-03-2004, 03:51 PM
This article sure makes it sound like JO plans on posting up a bit more.

O'Neal reverting to form

Jermaine O'Neal's field goal percentage during the regular season was .434, the lowest in his four years with the Pacers.

His percentage in the first-round series against Boston was .444, .23 lower than last season's playoff series against the Celtics.

He's addressed the drop-offs by going back to work on his jump hook, a shot he abandoned most of the regular season.

"I'm going back to the basics and the things I did in high school that had me shooting a higher percentage," he said.

O'Neal has been talking on the telephone with his high school coach, George Glymph, a member of the Pacers' coaching staff the past three years who now works with New York. Glymph has provided some tips on regaining his lost touch.

"I guess (the long layoff between rounds) is a plus for me now because I'm able to go back and make those adjustments and do some things in the second and third round that (opponents) haven't seen this year," O'Neal said.

This is from the an Indystar Article (http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/143262-4836-179.html)

This is music to my ears!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Mourning
05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
I hope it works, I really do, hope it's not too late though.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Snickers
05-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Good. Not many players can handle JO in the post.

:dance:

Anthem
05-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Now if only we had shooters to keep the defense honest.

Against Detroit, he may be better off spotting up. Jersey had great looks from midrange and out, they just couldn't land them. Those looks will be there for us, but we don't have many shooters.

BillS
05-04-2004, 09:47 AM
What has killed us in games we've either lost or blown a huge lead has been when we stop going into the low post. I think no matter what happens JO needs to be in the paint more often than not. A midrange jumper every once in a while to get the defender close so he can get around, but he needs to focus down low.

Let other folks keep the defense honest from outside, but we can't suddenly start trying to live by the long bomb - that makes us too inconsistent and leads to 30% shooting nights.

Suaveness
05-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Now if only we had shooters to keep the defense honest.

Against Detroit, he may be better off spotting up. Jersey had great looks from midrange and out, they just couldn't land them. Those looks will be there for us, but we don't have many shooters.

If Bender continues to play well without getting hurt, then Detroit will be in for a surprise. The same goes for Fred Jones. But they must play well.

Millerartest
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
I mentioned about JOs field goal percentage before with some concern. There's no doubt he's an all-star player, but I think he's overrated sometimes. He does his best when he doesn't try to force things. When he tries to force things, which happens in the post, he and the Pacers struggle. When the Pacers play as a team, though his stats may not be as high, he and the team play much better. I'm all for giving him the ball in the post, but not over and over while standing around like the Pacers did against Boston last year.

I am not a fan of isolationist basketball.

Here's to teamwork and more dunks that will raise anybody's field goal percentage.