PDA

View Full Version : This just in-- nobody on the Lakers can guard Duncan or Parker

NewYawk
05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Last year in the playoffs, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker absolutely destroyed the Lakers. They made Shaq look silly, exposing his obvious defensive ineptness on pick and roll. They showed that tough quickness (Parker) could break down the Laker defense.

During the off season, the Lakers thought they'd addressed these weakness by signing Karl Malone and Gary Payton. The Lakers realized that they had no one on their roster who could guard (or even keep up with) Duncan and Parker.

Guess what? They still don't have anyone that can guard these guys. Tony Parker made Gary Payton look silly yesterday, and Tim Duncan is killing Shaq and Malone. The Spurs are better coached, have better players, and are a BETTER TEAM than LA, and it's obvious.

Now, all year long all we heard about was the Lakers. Lakers this, Lakers that. All the while, the DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPS flew under the radar, and are now, once again, showing why they are DEFENDINIG WORLD CHAMPS. Again, this is another reason why the NBA is dying. Rather than hyping THE DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPS, the NBA (and ESPN :unimpressed: ) have hyped this baby crying, whiny Laker team. Morons like ESPN's George Karl call Shaq the greatest big man to ever play the game, when some guy named Tim Duncan has beaten Shaq (and averaged 27 ppg doing it).

Here's to the Spurs! Their coach has acted like a peniss of late, but that team, and that org, is classy.

And Tim Duncan is the best player in this NBA. Has been for 5 years now. Now doubt about it.

stew
05-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi New Yawk

I know where you're coming from... but this is just one game... and the spurs have home court.. this series if far from over..

phil jackson is also a good coach.. he should figure out a better way to contain duncan / parker...

cheers

NewYawk
05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi New Yawk

I know where you're coming from... but this is just one game... and the spurs have home court.. this series if far from over..

phil jackson is also a good coach.. he should figure out a better way to contain duncan / parker...

cheers

I know its only one game, but IMO the series is over. The Spurs are simply better than LA in all phases. They're better defensively, offensively, they pass better, more disciplined, have have better overall chemistry. Of course, anything can happen. However, SA should destroy LA.

Ragnar
05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I agree Yawk I think the Spurs are more of a team and the Lakers are too fractured to make it past the Spurs. If they were facing the T-Wolves they might have been able to beat them simply because of the experience. But the Spurs have won the title so they have experience and the Lakers cant scare them into submission.

3Ball
05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi New Yawk

cheers

It is just one game, but coach Pop is 11-0 when he's won the 1st game of a playoff series. Also, remember, there is nothing to indicate that the Lakers are going to be any better next game. Nobody is coming back from injury. I mean, Kobe scored 31, and they still lost by double digits. Ouch.

I know who I would rather the Pacers face in the finals, and it ain't the guys with uniforms that make them look like they are wrapped in tin foil.

Eindar
05-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I would much rather face the Spurs than the Lakers. First, we've got no answer for Shaq. None. He'd be putting up 30 and 15 a night against Foster. Ron Artest can't really contain Kobe that well. Kobe's just about the quickest 2 guard in the league, which is a tall order for Ron, who's a natural 3. JO can guard Malone, but he'll pay for it, and I'm guessing Malone wouldn't have to be extra dirty to get JO thrown out of a game or two. Simply put, we just don't match up with them well.

San Antonio is another matter. We played them well during the season, and Foster spent the summer playing with Duncan and Nesterovic from all accounts. He'll be familiar with their playstyle. Duncan isn't going to beat up on JO in the post. He will get his 25, but he's a finesse player, not a power player, so JO will still be effective in the offense. Also, we get to se Ron vs. Bowen, which should be a rediculous matchup, since Ron will be fired up more than usual. I have some questions about Tinsley's ability to guard Parker, but he has improved this year, and he should do ok. Lastly, our bench is far superior to the Spurs. They really have no answer for Harrington, Jones, or Bender.

I do think the Spurs are a better team than the Lakers, but we match up with them better. It's the same reason I want to play the Heat rather than the Hornets, despite that the Heat are a hotter team right now, are probably the better team, and Baron Davis is one more bad fall away from playing in a body cast.

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree I would rather Play the Spurs in the Finals than the Lakers , we match up better with the Spurs.

3Ball
05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I would much rather face the Spurs than the Lakers. First, we've got no answer for Shaq. None. He'd be putting up 30 and 15 a night against Foster. Ron Artest can't really contain Kobe that well. Kobe's just about the quickest 2 guard in the league, which is a tall order for Ron, who's a natural 3. JO can guard Malone, but he'll pay for it, and I'm guessing Malone wouldn't have to be extra dirty to get JO thrown out of a game or two. Simply put, we just don't match up with them well.

San Antonio is another matter. We played them well during the season, and Foster spent the summer playing with Duncan and Nesterovic from all accounts. He'll be familiar with their playstyle. Duncan isn't going to beat up on JO in the post. He will get his 25, but he's a finesse player, not a power player, so JO will still be effective in the offense. Also, we get to se Ron vs. Bowen, which should be a rediculous matchup, since Ron will be fired up more than usual. I have some questions about Tinsley's ability to guard Parker, but he has improved this year, and he should do ok. Lastly, our bench is far superior to the Spurs. They really have no answer for Harrington, Jones, or Bender.

I do think the Spurs are a better team than the Lakers, but we match up with them better. It's the same reason I want to play the Heat rather than the Hornets, despite that the Heat are a hotter team right now, are probably the better team, and Baron Davis is one more bad fall away from playing in a body cast.

This is a terrific post. I'm floored.

But I think you might be underestimating SA's bench a little bit. Remember Ginobili comes off the bench, and so does Charlie Ward. Besides, SA's bench outscored LA's like 23-6 yesterday.

But you're right, after watching their regular season games, I am salivating at the thought of that finals. THE BATTLE OF THE SMALL MARKETS!!!

NewYawk
05-03-2004, 02:54 PM
I agree I would rather Play the Spurs in the Finals than the Lakers , we match up better with the Spurs.

I simply do not understand this "logic." If the Spurs hose the Lakers, why would you prefer to face them over LA? Matchups? If Shaq is gettng killed by Duncan, do you honestly think Jeff Foster is going to contain him?

Both teams pose problems for the Pacers. Duncan is unguardable, and I'm waking up in cold sweets thinking about Tinsley guarding Parker. Some would say this is looking ahead. No. I'm merely planning ahead. the Pacers will walk through the East, just as the Spurs will walk through the West.

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Cause we played pretty well against the Spurs this season , When we beat the lakers at conseco it was minus shaq , kobe and malone.

I dont think any team in the East has a Answer for Shaq or Tim Duncan

NewYawk
05-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Cause we played pretty well against the Spurs this season , When we beat the lakers at conseco it was minus shaq , kobe and malone.

I dont think any team in the East has a Answer for Shaq or Tim Duncan

Memphis also played pretty well against SA this year.

The regular season means nothing.

Mourning
05-03-2004, 03:19 PM
aggreed!Extra plus for us is we have another offensive weapon on the bench in Bender and Jones has developed nicely too the last season half. I do aggree that we should not kid around with SA's bench, I mean Ginobili, Rose, Turkoglu, Ward are very decent to good back ups, some of those would play as starters on other teams just as Al would. Than they have Brown who performed well in game 1 too. Overall I rather face the Spurs than the Lakers for the reasons others have already mentioned.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Slick Pinkham
05-03-2004, 03:28 PM
While the Lakers have by far the most unguardable player, they have a lot more weaknesses than San Antonio.

transition D
half-court D
depth

I would much rather face LA because we could take advantage of theor weaknesses, except perhaps in transition.

My preferred finals opponent:

Sacramento>Minnesota>>LA Lakers>San Antonio

NewYawk
05-03-2004, 03:44 PM
While the Lakers have by far the most unguardable player, they have a lot more weaknesses than San Antonio.

Again, I've heard this over and over again, and cannot disagree enough.

Tim Duncan is unguardable. Shaq is now VERY guardable. The reason why LA lost the game was because the Lakers were trying too hard t get the ball to Shaq, who was getting smothered by SA's defense. On the flip side, LA has no answer for Duncan.

It's Duncan that's unstoppable. Not Shaq.

fishman
05-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Overall I rather face the Spurs than the Lakers for the reasons others have already mentioned.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

For one thing, If we happen to lose in the finals, I'd much rather see us lose to the Spurs. I just couldn't stand admitting defeat to the Lakers. :mad:

SkipperZ
05-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Huh? Lose in the Finals??? What are you talking about??

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 04:39 PM
On Paper we seem pretty even

Pacers Playoff FG % .459
Pacers Season FG % .435
Pacers Playoffs FT % .725
Pacers Season FT % .764

Spurs Playoff FG % .499
Spurs Season FG% .442
Spurs Playoff FT % .623
Spurs Season FT % .744

Pacers Playoff PPG 101.3
Pacers Season PPG 91.4

Spurs Playoff PPG 95.6
Spurs Season PPG 91.5

I know someone will probably give me some flak over stats

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hicks
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM

:nod:

Spurs are better than us in a vacuum, but much like how we're a better team than NO, the matchups even the scale pretty closely.