PDA

View Full Version : Tiered ticket pricing, good or bad

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 09:40 AM
If you are not familar with what "Tiered" ticket pricing is, I'll explain.

A lot of baseball teams are using it. Different ticket prices for the exact same seat depending on who the opponent is or the day of the week or time of the year.

This would seem to be more useful for baseball teams, because April, May, and September the demand is so much lower than June, July and August.

My question: would you be in favor of the Pacers going to this system.

Here's the scenerio. Pacers would lower the ticket prices for weekday games, raise prices for weekend games. Lower prices for games against the Clippers, Warriors, raise ticket prices for the Lakers, Cavs and Pistons.

So in other words over the course of the whole season ticket prices would even out.

My guess is that most fans would not like it, but if you could go to a game for 25% less on Tuesday night against the Wizards. What is wrong with that.

For season ticket holders, half season ticket holders and 10 game ticket holders, they would even it out so the price is the same.

Currently no NBA team is using this system.

Would you be in favor of the Pacers using a system like this?

I can see some advantages to the system, but the initial fan and media backlash might be more than teams would want to face.

Kstat
05-03-2004, 09:50 AM
I don't like it.

What if the player you paid %10 more to watch comes up injured, or gets suspended? I'd want a refund for the difference. What if you're the player that people pay more to see? I think it'd cause an imbalance among players, and encourage jealousy, even among teamates.

The reason it works in baseball is that the rosters are different from night to night, and players play in any ballpark 6-9 times pers season, where a great player will play in a road basketball arena twice at the MOST. Its a bad idea.

Stryder
05-03-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't like it.

What if the player you paid %10 more to watch comes up injured, or gets suspended? I'd want a refund for the difference. What if you're the player that people pay more to see? I think it'd cause an imbalance among players, and encourage jealousy, even among teamates.

The reason it works in baseball is that the rosters are different from night to night, and players play in any ballpark 6-9 times pers season, where a great player will play in a road basketball arena twice at the MOST. Its a bad idea.

Exactly. I don't like it either.

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 09:56 AM
I don't like it.

Good points.

When the pacers played the lakers at Conseco this season Shaq, Kobe, and Malone were all out as was J.O. Soi what should have been perhaps the "biggest" game of the year turned into one of the worst.

Kstat: do the Tigers use a tiered system?

What if NBA teams just adjusted the price for weekend games vs weekday games and not at all for who the opponent is, would you be more in favor of that.

Kstat
05-03-2004, 10:00 AM
I don't like it.

Good points.

When the pacers played the lakers at Conseco this season Shaq, Kobe, and Malone were all out as was J.O. Soi what should have been perhaps the "biggest" game of the year turned into one of the worst.

Kstat: do the Tigers use a tiered system?

What if NBA teams just adjusted the price for weekend games vs weekday games and not at all for who the opponent is, would you be more in favor of that.

I'm not sure what system the Tigers use. I don't go to COmerica Park.

Secondly, the Pistons have different plans for weekend games, and "high-profile" games. Individually, not really. But they have a half dozen different season ticket plans, all very cheap.

Personally, I don't think pricing tickets for different times of the week is a good idea. Most people get games depending on the times of the week. For instance, if I could only go to games on weekend nights, and the prices were HIGHER for those games, I'm paying a premium by defualt. Once again, bad idea.

Slick Pinkham
05-03-2004, 10:40 AM
A few baseball teams hve gone to tiered pricing. I think that San Diego pioneered the concept. The Red Sox haven't yet.

There is of course tiered pricing already in effect if you rely on scalpers. A $50 seat might cost you $50 (or even a little less) for an early season weeknight game against a bad team. The same ticket for a weekend game against the Yankees will be well over $100, even early in the season.

From that point of view, tiered pricing simply reflects the demand and supply in the marketplace.

I wouldn't like it really, but it does make a lot of sense and why should the scalpers reap all of the markups for the best games?

ChicagoJ
05-03-2004, 10:52 AM
I could see them doing the opposite. Since weekend games are usually "family games", I think those would be the lower priced games to encourage filling up the balcony. Also, I think it would only work for balcony seats (since Club and lower level have a higher % of season ticket sales)

Weeknight games are more commonly attended by professionals for work/ social functions who are less price-sensitive.

I don't mind this suggestion, assuming my season ticket prices are unaffected.

Also, I could see this implemented as part of a mini-season package.