PDA

View Full Version : David Stern: next years first round schedule will be better

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 08:48 AM
David Stern was just on Mike and Mike, ESPN radio, he admitted that the first round scheduling was not as good as it should have been this year, they are already working on schedule plans for next years first round, and that they need to tighten the schedule up a little.

diego
05-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah i heard that too. But i highly doubt they are actually working on it already. We asked previously about it, he defended it, now all of a sudden he is backpedaling. i hope they do fix it though.

To be honest i have a bigger problem that the second round series are starting before the 1st round series are over. IMO this could put the Pacers in a tough spot if their series goes 6 or 7, by the time we play game one of round 2, the Pistons/Nets will have completed game 2 already.

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah i heard that too. But i highly doubt they are actually working on it already. We asked previously about it, he defended it, now all of a sudden he is backpedaling. i hope they do fix it though.

To be honest i have a bigger problem that the second round series are starting before the 1st round series are over. IMO this could put the Pacers in a tough spot if their series goes 6 or 7, by the time we play game one of round 2, the Pistons/Nets will have completed game 2 already.

No, game #2 of the Pistons series is Friday

Kstat
05-03-2004, 09:52 AM

Actually, Your game 1 will be thursday, Pistons/Nets game 2 will be friday. Spurs/Lakers WILL have game 2 on Wednesday, however.

Slick Pinkham
05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Just play every other day, even a seven game series would be done in 13 days (1,3,5,7,9,11,13). Only skip a day for a conflict like shared arenas with hockey.

It would be best not to skip days at all. We'd all know who was playing that way, and it would be nonstop fun. Ist round would have 4 games every night (or day).

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Just play every other day, even a seven game series would be done in 13 days (1,3,5,7,9,11,13). Only skip a day for a conflict like shared arenas with hockey.

It would be best not to skip days at all. We'd all know who was playing that way, and it would be nonstop fun. Ist round would have 4 games every night (or day).

My only point as far as how this all effects the Pacers is this. Let's say the schedule is exactly like you say and the next round opponents play the same day. So the Heat v Hornets play the same days as Celts v Pacers and they play every other day.

If the pacers sweep the Celtics as they did and the heat - Hornets go 7 games. OK, game 7 would have been Saturday. I think between series there should be one extra day, seems fair. So in that case the Pacers v Heat would start on Tuesday.

That is only two days earlier than what it is now. Pacers still would have
had 9 days off.

Most Pacer fans who are complaing don't realize that.

ChicagoJ
05-03-2004, 11:04 AM

My only point as far as how this all effects the Pacers is this. Let's say the schedule is exactly like you say and the next round opponents play the same day. So the Heat v Hornets play the same days as Celts v Pacers and they play every other day.

If the pacers sweep the Celtics as they did and the heat - Hornets go 7 games. OK, game 7 would have been Saturday. I think between series there should be one extra day, seems fair. So in that case the Pacers v Heat would start on Tuesday.

had 9 days off.

Most Pacer fans who are complaing don't realize that.

Yep. As long as 1/8 (in theory, lopsided/sweep) and 4/5 (in theroy, evenly matched/ goes the distance) are both playing best-of seven, this will always be a potential problem. Best-of-five shortens this to a week, and I'm pretty sure we've waited that long a few times.

Slick Pinkham
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM

had 9 days off.

Most Pacer fans who are complaining don't realize that.

I hear you. It's not the days time spent waiting for the next opponent that bugs me, as it is the continuity within a series.

Two consecutive games between the same opponents in the same arena should NEVER be 3 or 4 days apart, and we've seen that. Even with travel, we shouldn't have that.

How cool would it be knowing there were 4 playoff games on every night?

I have no problem with having 7 game series, but the every other day format would make me MUCH more interested, and as an NBA fan I'm ALREADY interested. Even the casual fan would know who is playing and when.

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
I hear you. It's not the days time spent waiting for the next opponent that bugs me, as it is the continuity within a series.

Two consecutive games between the same opponents in the same arena should NEVER be 3 or 4 days apart, and we've seen that. Even with travel, we shouldn't have that.

I have no problem with having 7 game series, but the every other day format would make me MUCH more interested, and as an NBA fan I'm ALREADY interested. Even the casual fan would know who is playing and when.

You make some good points.

But selfishly, I like the way it is, so I can watch every single game. If two games were on at the same time I would have to miss at least portions of games. (I realize most people don't care to watch every minute of every playoff game)

MagicRat
05-03-2004, 11:58 AM

But selfishly, I like the way it is, so I can watch every single game. If two games were on at the same time I would have to miss at least portions of games. (I realize most people don't care to watch every minute of every playoff game)

You have to watch every minute of every game live?

It's worse than I thought....... ;)

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 12:25 PM
You have to watch every minute of every game live?

It's worse than I thought....... ;)

You have no idea.

I was thinking yesterday that I wished the Lakers game started 30 minutes later, so I could watch the post game press conference of the Heat - Hornets game 6 on NBA TV and not miss any of the Lakers v Spurs. Yes I like to watch the post game press conferences :blush:

As hard as I have tried I cannot tape a Pacer game and watch it later. I tried it once this past season, the Jazz game, I could not be in front of my TV for the game, so I taped it and planned on coming hom and watching the game from start to finish as if it were live, but when I got home I rewound only to the 2 minute mark of the 4th quarter, and watched it from there. The next day I then watched the rest of, but it was not the same.

I need help

Ragnar
05-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I need help

I assume you mean you need help getting the NBA to conform to your scedule not that you need help to get you to stop watching the games :dance:

Grant
05-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Its always about the money.

The NBA added at least 8 playoff games (average closer to 10 probably), by expanding the first round to 7 games. They spread the games out so that teams don't play at the same time to maximize the viewership.

Call me a cynic, but I think there is no way that the NBA will go back to a best of 5. The middle seeds should start their series early and the high/low seeds should start a few days later.

I think the Pacers/Celtics game was the first of the playoffs when it obviously was not going to go 6 or 7 games.

Slick Pinkham
05-03-2004, 01:07 PM

I like NBA basketball way better than college, but the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA tournament are so action-filled and exciting that for me it is the best 4 days in sports.

I think a my plan of a quadruple header every night would make the NBA 1st round the equal of that level of excitement.

Of course, I do not have to watch every minute of every game.

Hmmm... I'm guessing you don't have a wife and kids!

Unclebuck
05-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Hmmm... I'm guessing you don't have a wife and kids!

They move out of the house from April 20th through June 20th. Not sure where they go every year, but they always come back and seem really happy.

No I am not married and I don't have any kids

Kegboy
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
I expected this to happen. As NBATV gains acceptance, they move more games to it to alleviate the scheduling problem. In the short term it'll hurt ratings because of double dipping, but in the long term it will build the network, which helps the league's bottom line and will have some interesting affects on the next round of TV negotiations.

TheSauceMaster
05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Personally for me I don't like how long we had to wait but I do like it from a standpoint I get to watch most every game without games overlapping each other , or 2 teams playing at the same time frame . This is the time of year I love the NBA the most and the Playoffs are the greatest and I love watching other teams play that I don't normally get too see very much.