Will Galen
11-17-2006, 06:56 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview_061117.html

CONRAD BRUNNER'S SCOUTING REPORT

PACERS vs. NETS
Friday, 7:00 p.m.
Conseco Fieldhouse
TV: FSN-Indiana RADIO: WIBC-1070 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREVIEW
The Pacers are obviously struggling and visibly frustrated but will not panic.
In the aftermath of a 114-88 blowout loss in Boston Wednesday night, Coach Rick Carlisle again suggested the possibility of a lineup change and star forward Jermaine O'Neal vented his frustrations behind closed doors in a lively meeting with Carlisle, Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird.

But after a day of film study and practice, all involved agreed no changes need to be made heading into Friday night's game against the Nets.

"We're not changing the lineup," said Carlisle. "We're going to stick with this lineup for now. I believe in this group. I believe in this lineup. I've seen it work. There are some things we really have to concentrate on to make it work at both ends of the floor but I believe we can do it and until I change my mind this is what we're going to stick with."

O'Neal concurred with the coach.

"It's only eight games in, fellas," he said to the media. "I understand the situation with this team, that we're under the microscope, but we are only eight games in and this is a work in progress. We have to dig away and keep getting better. Last night was the first time we haven't responded coming off a loss. As far as changes, no. I don't think changes need to be made. We just need to figure out a way to be more effective."

There are some alterations both individual and collective in the works. As a team, the Pacers must find a way to correct an alarming rebounding deficiency; they've been beaten 104-61 on the boards in their last two games, both losses, surrendering 37 offensive rebounds that have led to 44 second-chance points for their opponents. Though there had been speculation Jeff Foster, the team's most productive per-minute rebounder, would move back into the lineup, he will remain with the second unit for the time being.

"We need to do a better job focusing on it as a team, just everybody try to find a man and block out and go for the ball," Foster said. "A lot of times in games for whatever reason when the ball goes up, all five of our guys are just standing there and the other team's going after the ball. It's something collectively we have to pay more attention to. It's an effort thing."

Individually, O'Neal wants to move away from the perimeter and into the post in hopes of shaking a 13-of-45 shooting slump in the last three games. O'Neal has totaled four free-throw attempts in that span while averaging just 9.7 points.

"I'm a post-up player," O'Neal said. "I want to be able to mix it up more and get the ball in the low post and put these teams in foul trouble. In the previous six or seven games I've been pretty much on the perimeter. That's one of the things I've been disappointed in about myself. Defensively, I think things are going good for me but offensively this team needs me to score and I need to be a little bit more aggressive in the low box area."

As for the postgame meeting in Boston, the key parties involved shrugged it off.

Carlisle described it as "a conversation" and not "a yelling match as portrayed by some members of the media."

O'Neal said he felt "the need to vent a little bit" after a frustrating loss.

"It's not a negative. It's a positive," O'Neal said. "In order to achieve the goal we want to achieve, especially a guy in my position, you've got to be willing to state your opinion. Whether you agree or not at the end of the day, you have to figure that out. But at the end of the day last night we agreed things needed to be altered a little bit in our approach and we walked away from it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRENDS
The Pacers have been outscored by 71 points with Jamaal Tinsley on the floor. … The offense has averaged 88.0 points in the last four after averaging 100.8 in the first four. … Danny Granger has averaged 13.4 points and 5.2 rebounds while shooting .548 overall and 10-of-17 from the 3-point line in the last five. … Al Harrington has averaged 23.8 points and 6.2 rebounds while shooting .546 in the last six. … Stephen Jackson has shot .450 in the last two games to bring his season mark up to .337.

KEY MATCHUP
Having faced Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas and Paul Pierce within the last 10 days, now the Pacers must contend with Vince Carter. They've had plenty of practice on what to do with a premier scorer but the results have been mixed. Iverson was contained but Arenas and Pierce totaled 72 easy points in leading their teams to blowout victories. With Richard Jefferson out, keeping Carter from erupting is even more important than usual, presenting an enormous challenge for Jackson, Granger and the rest of the defenders the Pacers will employ.

INJURIES
Pacers - C David Harrison (sore left shoulder) is questionable. Nets - F Richard Jefferson (left ankle sprain), G Eddie House (left knee), F Josh Boone (left shoulder) and G Jeff McInnis (not with team) are out.

J_2_Da_IzzO
11-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Didnt he say he was thinking of changing it if things didnt get better after our first loss of the season? Now hes sure he wants to stick with it.

I like what Im hearing from JO about him being unhappy basically being a perimeter player so far this year. He notices he needs to be in the post. He needs to show us he will follow these words in the next game. Als spent more time in the post then JO has and it defo should be the other way round.

Old as Dirt
11-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Well it is looking like another year, complain because we can't rebound and leaving one of the top rebounders in all of the NBA, set on the bench. But that is normal anymore with the Pacers. Now everyone can jump on this but, look at what is being said.

RWB
11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
"We need to do a better job focusing on it as a team, just everybody try to find a man and block out and go for the ball," Foster said. "A lot of times in games for whatever reason when the ball goes up, all five of our guys are just standing there and the other team's going after the ball. It's something collectively we have to pay more attention to. It's an effort thing."

Not standing around and going AFTER the rebound is exactly what Kellogg talked about. If someone did a hustle board stat for this team it would look pretty sad for some of these guys.

Moses
11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
What JO said was definitely encouraging. I'm glad he realizes that he needs to get closer into the post and not stand around on the perimeter so much.

If we can't out-rebound the Nets, then we've got some serious problems.

3rdStrike
11-17-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm glad he's sticking with the lineup. Too early to jump ship. The team obviously needs to involve Granger more, though. And I wish there was some way to get Daniels and Marshall more minutes.

Bball
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Als spent more time in the post then JO has and it defo should be the other way round.

Al is more aggressive than JO.

-Bball

imawhat
11-17-2006, 01:25 PM

-Bball

Yep, that's pretty much it.

pizza guy
11-17-2006, 01:31 PM
You know, I was reading that, thinking initially that JO was nicely saying, "give me the ball, screw this team stuff." But, upon further review, I don't think that can really be taken from this. JO is right, we need him to score as well as play good D.

I'm also glad we're not changing the lineup, because like JO said, it's only 8 games.

D-BONE
11-17-2006, 01:44 PM

-Bball

Agree. I think Al is a better low post player on offense. It's been said here numerous times that they have similar offensive games. It's also been brought up elsehwere that several of JO's post opportunties have been erased or at least altered by his and/or other defenders. This seems accurate to me.

I don't have a problem with JO getting some opportunities in the post but he's got to be willing to to do a lot of facing up from farther out and shooting the mid-range jumper, which he's very good at. He's just in a slump but you know what they say about shooters in a slump. It seems the blow up was mainly just motivated by frustration, which is understandable to a degree.

Pitons
11-17-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree with RC. There's no need to rush to change something yet. Only 8 games. We need to play at least 15-20 games to see if the things are getting better with our starters. If there are still many problems than I don't know. Actually we don't have strong players on the bench (maybe Daniels, but it's maybe), and if there are no good signs we will be forced to do trades.