PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Chris Denari?

heywoode
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I gotta say that I've been trying to give the guy a chance, but I just can't stand his voice. His voice is too nasally for my taste, and I'm not getting behind his catch phrases like 'recycled' when somebody gets a block....

I don't dislike the guy, he seems personable enough and knowledgeable.

I hope it is a case of it being early in the season and me having a hard time getting used to not listening to Al Albert. I HOPE.

What does everyone else think?

This is obviously a request for opinion and personal preference, so I'm not looking to argue with anybody about it...Just curious if I'm alone in my thinking...

IndySouthsider
11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I gotta say that I've been trying to give the guy a chance, but I just can't stand his voice. His voice is too nasally for my taste, and I'm not getting behind his catch phrases like 'recycled' when somebody gets a block....

I hope it is a case of it being early in the season and me having a hard time getting used to not listening to Al Albert. I HOPE.

What does everyone else think?

This is obviously a request for opinion and personal preference, so I'm not looking to argue with anybody about it...Just curious if I'm alone in my thinking...

He has caused me to stop watching the game and follow Sirius satellite radio.

Unclebuck
11-15-2006, 10:17 PM
He's OK, just a little blah

Roaming Gnome
11-15-2006, 10:20 PM

For the reason you've indicated, Chris Denari was a poor choice to replace Alberts as our TV play by play man. He just doesn't have the pipes for the job, Period!

Dr. Goldfoot
11-15-2006, 10:38 PM
I always hated Al for his fake sportscaster voice and he replaced Bake. I think Denari is a welcome change.

pizza guy
11-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I've only seen one game on TV, which suck, but I did hear Denari. Considering the simple fact that he's not Al Albert, I like him. I don't have any problem with his voice, though I can't really comment on his catch phrases because I've only heard him once. I do distinctly remember thinking to myself, "with Al Harrington back, I'm glad we don't have Al Albert anymore. One more 'Hurricane Harrington' and I'd flip!"

Lord Helmet
11-15-2006, 10:58 PM
I really don't have a problem with him. Although I'd take back Albert.

heywoode
11-15-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm glad there are some people who don't have a problem with him; hopefully that means that I need to mellow and I will get used to him. I personally like Al Albert, although some of his catch phrases would grate on me after a while...

Two made shots in a row by anyone and they were ON FIRE!

I'm thinking of buying audio league pass for $20 and treating myself to the REAL broadcast team....I would have to drag my laptop out for every game though! I'm two hours north of Indy, so I can't get Mark & Slick anywhere but the web, as far as I know...anybody know different?

P.S. I'm not just sucking up to Mark because he hangs here sometimes; they are the best in my book....

Los Angeles
11-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I like him fine. Not an upgrade, not a downgrade. The Pacers continue to have coverage (web, radio, TV) that rests comfortably in the elite in the league in all 3 departments.

Roaming Gnome
11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Heywoode, there is a FM station out of Berne, IN that carries the Pacers radio network. You live pretty close to where I use to live in Fort Wayne and I could tune this station in most nights. If you have a digital tuner, you will get this station for sure, at least I did.

92.7 WZBD (Adams County Radio)

Roaming Gnome
11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Heywoode, there is a FM station out of Berne, IN that carries the Pacers radio network. You live pretty close to where I use to live in Fort Wayne and I could tune this station in most nights. If you have a digital tuner, you will get this station for sure, at least I did.

I almost forgot....Most nights they are fine to listen to for not having a radio affiliate in FW, but...They will pre-empt the Pacers for High School basketball and Purdue basketball. The only day this is really a problem is Fridays in the early season.

Hicks
11-16-2006, 07:01 AM
His voice doesn't bother me at all.

Old as Dirt
11-16-2006, 07:13 AM
He is alright I guess, I would prefer Al Albert

heywoode
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM

Thanks RG, I will check that out!!

mildlysane
11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
I, like a previous poster, really didn't like Al. However, Chris's voice is too high-pitched and nasal. Maybe the producers need to EQ him differently. Oh, and I hate catch phrases as well....especially when Al used to steal them from Clark.

Out of the three, I liked Jerry Baker the best.

Quis
11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't like him at all. He seems more suited to doing high school games on your local UPN station than NBA games. His voice is weak, he made at least one dumb comment in every game thus far, and his personality is lacking. To say he's not a downgrade over someone on Al Albert's level is just flat out ridiculous in my opinion.

Chris Denari is an amateur IHSAA broadcaster masquerading as a professional.

Mac_Daddy
11-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I actually liked Al. I hated his nicknames for players, but I would much rather hear his voice than Denari's. I just haven't got used to it and I don't know if I will. Personally, I would rather have Quinn Buckner, and i hate it when he speaks.

Naptown_Seth
11-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Pipes - he doesn't have em

Content and structure - I think he's already better than Al was, and has been getting better every game. He comes off as knowledgable and aware of the game situations. He leans on his color guy the right amount, doesn't overtalk situations, and pulls out interesting comments about the city, opponent, etc like a guy who has made the effort to know that kind of stuff.

I wish he had Chick Hern's voice, but it's not going to happen. Otherwise he's pretty good and I'm getting used to him.

ChicagoJ
11-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Why can't they save money and just have Mark do it?

They could even pay Mark more money and still save money. Everybody wins!!

Actually, I don't have a problem with Denari. But I never complained when I'd get the opponent's broadcast just so I wouldn't have to listen to Al. No, that's not true. I'd complain about the Celtics' announcers. (Actually, other than Mike Gorham and Tommy Heinsohn, I actually like listening to what the other team's announcers think of the Pacers, its a good perspective.)

imawhat
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I like him fine. Not an upgrade, not a downgrade. The Pacers continue to have coverage (web, radio, TV) that rests comfortably in the elite in the league in all 3 departments.

It's very important to keep this in perspective. Not saying it makes an excuse for any shortcomings, but Pacers broadcast is really good in comparison to most teams. I'm very pleased with our coverage, though I miss Al and his idiosyncracies.

FrenchConnection
11-16-2006, 01:18 PM
What I did not like about Al is that his voice betrayed his NY origins. I want an Indiana guy to call Indiana games. I say this and I am not from Indiana, but I came to love the game here and I like Hoosiers' knowledge of and passion for the game. And I also could not take "feisty Foster" any longer. That being said, I wish that Chris would develop more of an on-air personality.

BTW, they should just have Mark and Slick do a simulcast. We do that in Buffalo with the Sabres and it is great. You always know who has the puck and there is little chit chat during play. It works out great if you have a great radio guy like Mark.

hoopsforlife
11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I do not miss Al Albert. Just never liked his style much. The stupid names and being on fire etc, just makes me glad he's gone.

I listened to Denari until the season started and then the FSN idiots or whoever controls the networks scheduling, won't let the games be broadcast on my Dish network. I had to subscribe to League Pass to watch any of the games. But its much better anyway. I get the opposing teams view of the Pacers. As an added bonus, I get to watch some really good basketball played by other teams around the league.

The Pacers are just not that good of a team this year. We have 2 and sometimes 3 of our starters who are mental midgets when it comes to playing the game. I really dislike watching our starters play sometimes. If things start off well and they get into the game early its fun for them. If things start off badly it destroys these guys for the whole game. They sleepwalk through the whole night. I get more enjoyment watching the games when the subs get in and bring their energy, exuberance and effort. It becomes enjoyable and then Rick subs in the starters again. :shrug:

Last night, I believe, the Bobcats beat the Spurs in OT. Great game exciting fun to watch. Everything the Pacers lack this year.

If I coached this team I would turn it upside down. Starting with the guys on IR. Baston, Williams, Powell would start with Saras and Marshall. It would be fast, fun and energetic. Then off the bench I would bring Danny, Al, Green, Jo and Armstrong. Oh,you say, "But we wouldn't win many games." We seem to be losing with our All Stars and our wannabe All Stars anyway. At least it would be fun to watch.

Daniels would be in the rotation somewhere. I like his effort too.

aero
11-16-2006, 01:48 PM
i never liked the guy on Fox59 so when i found out he would be the new guy for the Pacers i was really disappointed.

Al Albert > Denari

mboyle1313
11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Jay,

Please allow me to correct you. Though I appreciate your support, I must dissent; not everybody wins under your scenario. Mark loses because he's on TV.

And French Connection, I find your comments interesting. You say you want an Indiana guy to do the games, yet you suggest I become involved in a simulcast even though I'm not an Indiana guy.

Simulcasts are a bad idea in general. Television and radio are such different mediums that nobody wins; a radio call is, generally speaking, annoying to television viewers, while a television call leaves radio listeners in the dark.

May I suggest that everyone give Chris a chance? He's doing the best he can, and he works very hard at it.

Regards,
MJB

Bball
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Simulcasts are a bad idea in general. Television and radio are such different mediums that nobody wins; a radio call is, generally speaking, annoying to television viewers, while a television call leaves radio listeners in the dark.

Regards,
MJB

Plus when you miss a play on radio you can just make something up and nobody is the wiser ;)

-Bball

RWB
11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
May I suggest that everyone give Chris a chance? He's doing the best he can, and he works very hard at it.

Regards,
MJB

Not too worry Mark, as one of the town's people we're saving our pitchforks and fire for the team. :D Chirs D. will grow on folks the same Alberts did after Bake or Stacey after Scott Hoke.

ChicagoJ
11-16-2006, 04:22 PM

Mark,

I understand your point. But I always enjoyed Kevin Callabro's Sonics simulcasts, and Chick's Lakers simulcasts.

I guess that's partially because I grew up listening to the Pacers and IU on the radio before the game were televised. Well, I guess IU was televised, but we still "turned down the tv sound." There's an art to listening to a radio broadcast, and its turning into a lost art.

But why do so many enthusiasts do that (mute the television), if what you're saying is true?

A radio broadcast may not appeal to the casual television viewer. I get that, in general terms. It annoys me that the NBA (in general) spends so much time marketing to the casual viewer and sometimes forgets about (takes for granted) its hardcore fans.

But let's not fool ourselves, I'm just jealous because I have no "ability" whatsoever - while in Chicago - to synchronize my LP on DirecTV/ TiVo with an audio stream via NBA.com. Otherwise, I'd shut up. :( :blush:

Los Angeles
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Mark,

I understand your point. But I always enjoyed Kevin Callabro's Sonics simulcasts, and Chick's Lakers simulcasts.

I guess that's partially because I grew up listening to the Pacers and IU on the radio before the game were televised. Well, I guess IU was televised, but we still "turned down the tv sound." There's an art to listening to a radio broadcast, and its turning into a lost art.

But why do so many enthusiasts do that (mute the television), if what you're saying is true?

A radio broadcast may not appeal to the casual television viewer. I get that, in general terms. It annoys me that the NBA (in general) spends so much time marketing to the casual viewer and sometimes forgets about (takes for granted) its hardcore fans.

But let's not fool ourselves, I'm just jealous because I have no "ability" whatsoever - while in Chicago - to synchronize my LP on DirecTV/ TiVo with an audio stream via NBA.com. Otherwise, I'd shut up. :( :blush:

On the contrary, Jay.

The following tutorial assumes 2 things:

1) you are watching the game live, and not pre-recorded.
2) your computer's audio is nice and loud and near your TV (either your computer has big speakers, or the audio is hooked up to go through your stereo.)

If those two things are true, then you just need to play your NBA.com stream and turn down your TV. The NBA.com stream is consistently 10 seconds or so behind the video feed going to your TV. If you have a Tivo, all you have to do is pause the game for 10 seconds and hit play. Fast forward or rewind until the sound synchs up. The best sound to aim for is the sound of the ball hitting the rim. Even once you synch it up, the NBA.com sound sometimes drags a little, but hitting pause and play in a quick one-two motion fixes that. Youll need to do this every 20 minutes or so.

If you have the game pre-taped, you'll have to ask MR about pre-recording the audio feed, but once you have both recorded, the same principles for "synching" is applied.

EDIT: if the problem is more basic, like "the TV is downstairs and the computer is upstairs" and you otherwise knew how to do everything else, please disregard this message. ;)

mboyle1313
11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Jay,

I suspect the answer to your question is twofold.

For all of the advantages television enjoys over radio, radio is the more intimate medium. Consequently, I believe that it is much more likely that fans, particularly those of a hardcore nature, feel an affinity for a team's radio broadcasters than it is that they bond with the television broadcasters.

But even more than that, radio is about the game. We don't have an endless flow of meaningless graphics, inane sideline banter, countless closeups of people doing the same thing we are (watching the game), etc. For most hard core fans, it's about the game, and radio comes closer to following that blue print than television does.

I'm a casual fan, and when I watch a game I either leave the sound up or (and this is becoming more frequent at The Boyle Estate) watch with the sound down. There are still several broadcasters I like, most of whom adhere to an old school approach (Mike Breen, Marv Albert, Ian Eagle, and Dick Enberg, to name a few), but more and more the guys on TV seem to think the broadcast is about them and not the game, which simply doesn't appeal to me. I like a guy with a little personality, but there's a time and a place, and too many guys don't understand that, at least in my estimation. Call it the ESPNization of sports television.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though. If you turn the sound down and watch the picture, maybe you can enlighten me.

MJB

Los Angeles
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Mr. Boyle,

As a regular practitioner of the "turn the volume down and turn on the radio" method, I can say that I agree with most of your assessments except for one.

The casual fans that bravely enter my home when there is a game on almost unanimously enjoy the radio broadcast more than the regular TV broadcast.

On two separate occasions, my guest has said something to the effect of "I never could follow basketball, but with these guys, I finally know what's going on." The radio style play-by-play teaches them who the players are, what specific manuevers and plays are called and other specifics of the game - as the action unfolds.

I remember the very day last season when my wife finally figured out the term "weak side" during one of your broadcasts. *LA brushes away a tear drop*

TV on the other hand is distracting half of the time. I know I'm not the only one out there that finds the long winded anecdotes, explanations, unnecessary replays of dunks (instead of a textbook box out or other basics of the game) and "shama-lama-ding-dong" expressions long after the inspiring events do not improve the experience of the broadcast. They are a hindrance, and the hinder both the die hard fan's experience as well as the casual fan's experience.

All said, I think Denari's performance as compared to other TV play-by-play men in the league is above average.

ChicagoJ
11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
On the contrary, Jay.

The following tutorial assumes 2 things:

1) you are watching the game live, and not pre-recorded.

That's my problem.

Kegboy
11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I love Chris. I loved him with the Fever, and I love him now. First and foremost he's a radio guy, and, while he himself has said he's mindful to dial it back for TV, you hear it in what he says. He's substance over style, which makes him the antithesis of Al, btw.

Now, if only the team was worth watching. :kickcan: