PDA

View Full Version : Mo Pete benched in favor of Fred Jones {Toronto Star}

Frank Slade
11-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Mitchell demotes Mo Pete
Nov. 13, 2006. 05:03 PM
DOUG SMITH
SPORTS REPORTER

OAKLAND, Calif. - Sam Mitchell has seen enough, and says he will take Morris Peterson out of the Raptors' starting lineup in lieu of Fred Jones.

Jones will take over at Peterson's starting shooting guard spot, the coach said Monday after practice here, with the Golden State Warriors on tap Tuesday night in the second game of a western road swing for the struggling club. The coach said he's trying to reverse the team's slow-starting ways, and give their defence a chance to kick-start their offence.

"I don't want to dwell on it. We know why we're changing it (but) to me it does no good for a coach to break down every little thing," Mitchell said Monday. "I just think it's necessary maybe to give us a little jump start."

Peterson left practice without speaking to reporters and Jones said he could understand his teammate's disappointment.

"Everybody wants that opportunity," said Jones. "I'm a little upset it had to come this way, when we're not playing so well."

Peterson, touted as the team's best perimeter defender, hasn't looked good so far in the regular season. Jones, signed as a free agent in the off-season, was arguably the team's best offensive player in the preseason and with the emergence of Anthony Parker as the team's best perimeter defender, Jones will get the easier of the two opposition swingman to defend each game.

"If you look at the stats, he's earned it," Mitchell said of Jones.

The Raptors, losers of two games in a row, face the 4-3 Warriors Tuesday night.

Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163415769643&call_pageid=969907729483)

rexnom
11-13-2006, 09:39 PM
If you look at the stats? Really? That's what we're judging players by these days? Whew.

317Kim
11-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Either way, a job well done by Freddie and good luck with the starting job!

Shack80
11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
I hope he does well.

Kegboy
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
"If you look at the stats, he's earned it,"

That's something I never thought I'd see Sam say. I've always thought of MoPete as a more intangibles guy, anyway.

sweabs
11-13-2006, 10:51 PM
The reason Mo Pete hasn't been as successful this year is because of the new offence. Everyone knows about Sam Mitchell's "100 shots" strategy, and it's resulting in a lot of quick shots from guys who like to take quick shots early into the shot clock. Guys like Freddie are loving it, and he's capitalizing in a system like this. Mo Pete, however, is better suited for running some solid plays, curling off screens, cutting to the basket, etc. within the half-court set.

You also have TJ Ford taking a lot of shots. Everyone is for that matter. It's as if everyone is taking advantage of the new style that pretty much allows for whatever shot you want...except for Mo Pete. I don't think he's that selfish, because trust me - there are some horrible shots being taken within the Raptors offence in an effort to get it up within 10 seconds of the shotclock (another one of Sam's strategies).

Hopefully Mo Pete can fall out of favour and we can snag him. I bet the Raps would actually have some interest in a package for Harrison & Sarunas. They would love for another true big man to play behind Nesterovic, and their current 3rd PG is Darrick Martin.

Los Angeles
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mo Pete is on my fantasy team. :suicide:

Shade
11-13-2006, 11:30 PM

Conversely, Fred Jones is on mine. :eyebrow:

Hicks
11-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Conversely, Fred Jones is on mine. :eyebrow:

You're welcome. :tongue:

Shade
11-13-2006, 11:34 PM
You're welcome. :tongue:

I knew that was coming. :laugh:

Unclebuck
11-13-2006, 11:51 PM
I really haven't seen enough of the Raptors play this season to have an opinion. But I'm happy for Freddie

Eindar
11-13-2006, 11:51 PM
acancersayswhat?

Exactly!

I'm mostly joking, but it's a little fishy that we're happy as clams this year as a team, and Mo Peterson is pissed.

grace
11-14-2006, 01:18 AM
I really haven't seen enough of the Raptors play this season to have an opinion. But I'm happy for Freddie

I've seen a couple games. I thought MoPete played better than Freddie. I guess I must not have been paying close enough attention. :shrug:

sweabs
11-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I've seen a couple games. I thought MoPete played better than Freddie. I guess I must not have been paying close enough attention. :shrug:
The other thing about Mo Pete is that Anthony Parker has a very similar skillset. He is not as good of a shooter as Mo Pete is, but they have plenty of other guys who can shoot the ball from the perimeter. Parker, however, is probably a better 1 on 1 defender than Mo Pete and hard-nosed in the way he plays guys on the perimeter. And we all know that Sam Mitchell loves those types of guys.

NorCal_Pacerfan
11-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Kudos to Fred - always liked the kid!

Seed
11-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Toronto Star (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163415769643&call_pageid=969907729483)
and with the emergence of Anthony Parker as the team's best perimeter defender
and for the ignorants who said last year that Parker will never be a NBA starter (I won't write names, even tough my fingers are asking for it), you better eat some dirt. Take a look at his offensive stats, and his defensive abilities, and his versatility as SG, SF. And consider the fact that he will only improve, as he just came back from 7 years or so in Europe with Maccabi.
Pacers could have him in the summer and play him SG.

FlavaDave
11-14-2006, 10:17 AM

Crap, me too.

Hopefully he still gets 20-25 minutes of burn.

Anthem
11-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd love to make a move for MoPete. Love it.

Harrison and Sarunas for MoPete and this year's first-round pick? In a heartbeat.

Isaac
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Harrison and Sarunas for MoPete and this year's first-round pick? In a heartbeat.

I agree. I want Orien Greene getting minutes anyways. In the offseason I would have said no, but it seems like Harrison isn't going to get the minutes to develop.

At the same time, this would really, really hinder Marquis' minutes a lot, and I don't want to see that happen.

FlavaDave
11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I'd love to make a move for MoPete. Love it.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Toronto's first. Uh yeah, that's a good deal.

Maybe we include SJax or Marquis in the deal to clear room for Mo?

Anthem
11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
What are you doing watching the games? Just look at the stats! That will tell you all you need to know! :D

I feel bad for Toronto fans.

Anthem
11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
At the same time, this would really, really hinder Marquis' minutes a lot, and I don't want to see that happen.
Well, based on what we've seen so far I'd be happy for Marquis to get more minutes at PG. And it's not Marquis that would lose SG minutes so much as Rawle Marshall. That's something of an issue, but I think it sets us up for a move at the deadline.