PDA

View Full Version : NBA gone mad

able
11-13-2006, 06:58 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061112/SPORTS04/611120445/1088

pacers notebook
O'Neal's elbow wrap costs 5K

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

CHICAGO -- Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal was fined $5,000 by the NBA for wearing his wristband too high up his arm.

"It was an inch too high," O'Neal said before Saturday's game against the Chicago Bulls. "They said we can't wear wristbands on our elbow this year. They said we can't wear two wristbands on one arm. I had it on my elbow. I couldn't believe it when I found out."
The league is trying to make sure players abide by a number of rules this season. It implemented a "zero-tolerance" policy to stop players from complaining and making gestures toward officials.
There were 67 technicals and five ejections by players through the first 68 games, according to ESPN.com. The Pacers, who have been known to complain to officials in the past, surprisingly went into Saturday's game having picked up just two player technicals this season. Al Harrington and Sarunas Jasikevicius both picked up technicals in the first game of the season at Charlotte.
Union director Billy Hunter told The Associated Press last week that he might seek legal action against the league if commissioner David Stern doesn't lighten up on the rule against complaining.
O'Neal declined comment on the new rule.
"I'm just an employee," he said. "I just deal with it and not comment about it. Someone makes the decision, and you have to follow the rule."

Jackson to court Monday
Stephen Jackson is scheduled to appear before a Michigan district judge for a probation violation hearing Monday.
Jackson violated his probation, which expires Sept. 23, 2007, when he was charged with felony criminal recklessness and two misdemeanors related to a fight at a strip club early last month.
Last month, an Oakland County (Mich.) assistant prosecutor said that office probably would request jail time if the court says Jackson violated his probation. Jackson could face up to three months in jail.
He also faces the possibility of being suspended by the NBA at least 10 games if he's found guilty of any charges stemming from the strip club incident. That trial is set to start Jan. 8.

No Team USA for O'Neal
O'Neal may want to rethink his thought about inquiring to play with Team USA next summer.
Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo said in today's Denver Post that O'Neal won't be part of the team.
Colangelo asked O'Neal last season to play with Team USA, but the Pacers' All-Star forward declined because he had a groin injury and didn't want to make the required three-year commitment.
"No, he won't be there," Colangelo told the Denver Post. "He was asked and there was no interest at the time. And remember, I was looking for individuals that were going to make a three-year commitment. There's no pass. You can't show up late for the dance. And that's just a general statement.
"I also said we had the flexibility of adding or deleting because we kind of set up our own infrastructure. But I want to be consistent with commitments I made to all the players."
"I had an injury," O'Neal said Saturday night. "If that disappointed them that I was trying to get healthy, then I don't want to play. First and foremost, I have to make sure that my body is healthy to play for the Indiana Pacers. I was coming off a serious (groin) injury. That's no problem if they don't want me to play. Good luck to them."

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved
Read 4 comments

sweabs
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I really don't understand the wristband thing.

rexnom
11-13-2006, 07:06 PM
I hate David Stern. Sorry mods. It's just the truth. I didn't hate him after the brawl. I disagreed with him but I respected his decision. I thought last year with the dress code he was just doing it for headlines so I let it slide. Now I'm getting sick of him. This is ridiculous. He needs to get off of his throne.

sweabs
11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
I do not hate David Stern by any means. I think he's a brilliant mind in sports management/marketing today, and has helped save the game and league that I love. So I really do respect the man and everything he has accomplished. I'm happy that we have one of the best commissioners in the history of professional sport running the league, because I know that it will always run strong as long as he is in charge. If there are any other SI subscribers here, there was a fantastic article on Stern in the issue a couple weeks ago.

All that being said, I still don't understand the wristband thing. What is the reasoning behind a rule like that?

LoneGranger33
11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I know personally that if I see an inappropriate wristband placement I will change the channel...regardless of score or importance of game!

He's probably reaching out to the "silent majority" of us fans..

Bball
11-13-2006, 07:49 PM
If there is a medical reason for wearing a 'wristband' on the elbow then he should be allowed to wear it. If it's a fashion statement, then I have no problem with Stern's rule.

I'm more curious about exactly why the player's association thinks they have an actionable cause regarding the new rule about complaining to officials. The only thing I can think of, and I haven't seen the exact wording of the rule, would be it is too arbitrary.

-Bball

LoneGranger33
11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
If there is a medical reason for wearing a 'wristband' on the elbow then he should be allowed to wear it. If it's a fashion statement, then I have no problem with Stern's rule.

I'm more curious about exactly why the player's association thinks they have an actionable cause regarding the new rule about complaining to officials. The only thing I can think of, and I haven't seen the exact wording of the rule, would be it is too arbitrary.

-Bball

Well, there's a lot of passion in the game...I mean, not everyone is Rasheed Wallace, but nor is everyone gonna be a Tim Duncan (Read: no emotions)...I disagree with Nocioni's technical earlier this year, for example...he wasn't demonstrative at all, and unless he said something really bad, he shouldn't have gotten teched (Read: perhaps he was deserving of a head-butt to the sternum instead)

Also, how are people going to put "food on their families" if they keep getting ejected and fined thousands upon thousands...I say keep the passion in the game or risk starving families!

Oh yeah, and of course its very discriminatory against repeat offenders...(Ron "Tru Warier" Artest, Rasheeeeeeeeeed, Luke Ridnour, Bonzi Wells...)

AesopRockOn
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
The techinical foul situation has gotten out of hand; I haven't watched too many games these year but from what I've seen, the whistles have been far too quick and many inappropriate (if you saw the T on PJ Brown, you know what I'm talking about).

I love how although Stern and his goons do absolutely pointless things (that the players with guts show some opposition to) some of you are suckered into thinking their way and that what they do has any real purpose. For Christ's sake, it's a ****** wristband. I would take that band and wrap it around.....never mind, I don't want this to get deleted too quickly.

Anyway, I disagree, can't stand Stern, and wish that he not rule the league with his iron knuckles.

BlueNGold
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Stern thinks this will go further toward fitting the players into what he thinks is most marketable to the fan base. The idea is that the customer is always right...and that the rich customers like the clean cut look. I can understand the restrictions on the gaudy jewelry, but the arm band restrictions are a bit too much. He is beginning to look foolish even to the wealthy, conservative fans.

Anthem
11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
I couldn't care less about armbands, wristbands, Sam Perkins' do-rag, Kobe's tights, or whatever.

But I like the "no arguing" technicals. They're excessive right now, but refs always slack off as the season goes on. I only hope they don't slack too far.

pizza guy
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
$5,000 because the wristband was too high!? That's absolutely ridiculous. I understand, and even like the dress code. The crack down on complaining is fine with me, and like Anthem said, they'll probably slack off a little once the point is firmly made. Telling players not to wear tights...what's the point? I honestly didn't realize there were that many players wearing them! And now wristbands have to be in a certain place? Honestly, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL HERE? It's a freakin' wristband!

efx
11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
I understand his actions after the brawl, I understand the dress code.

This is just freaking insane. Who. The Expletive. Cares?????

Naptown_Seth
11-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I couldn't care less about armbands, wristbands, Sam Perkins' do-rag, Kobe's tights, or whatever.

But I like the "no arguing" technicals. They're excessive right now, but refs always slack off as the season goes on. I only hope they don't slack too far.
First of all, WTF is Stern the former marketing genius doing? Um, you know that stuff that guys wear is stuff you can SELL in the gift shot, and that includes the cool wristbands on the elbow or bicep with stuff like "Jack" or "JO7" or whatever written on it. Heck, they sold the silly finger bands that Reggie liked to wear.

Wouldn't you think Stern would want as much as possible covering all the tattoos anyway?

Truly this rule was made by a guy having a fit of the brain or something.

Now the techs, I agree with Anthem. Not because I want no emotion, but because it keeps the game moving along better and because in my selfish way I think it's forced the Pacers to focus more on the game at hand. They were a team that was being hurt by the ref distractions and this rule seems to be helping get them past that.

Jack's game is a prime example. It could be that the new ball (another dumb change, or at least poorly thought out) is killing his shot, but the rest of his game is a lot more focused than in recent years.

So while the hammer is clearly coming down way too hard, for now its great to see it helping the team.

larry
11-14-2006, 02:18 AM

-Bball

everybody's wrist will be sore to save the fine.

BillS
11-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Guys? Fining JO $5000 is like making you put a quarter in the cuss jar...

McThugg
11-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I say everyone is making a big deal of this because it is new to the league, but the NFL has been fining guys for years for their socks being to high or pants not past the knee etc.. I think this type of stuff will be good for the league in the long run, besides if I am getting $20 mil a year GUARANTEED whether I play or not just so long as your not holding my **** while I take a **** I am cool with it.

JayRedd
11-14-2006, 01:01 PM
I say everyone is making a big deal of this because it is new to the league, but the NFL has been fining guys for years for their socks being to high or pants not past the knee etc.. I think this type of stuff will be good for the league in the long run, besides if I am getting $20 mil a year GUARANTEED whether I play or not just so long as your not holding my **** while I take a **** I am cool with it.

I don't have an opinion on whether it's good or bad, but I do at least understand where the League is coming from. They are trying to improve the overall marketability of the League and of each and every team. This will always be a league of Stars, but in my opinion, the League went too far in the direction of promoting teams as a platform for individuals. "Larry vs. Maginc" was one thing but then they just kept going with things like "Reggie vs. Ewing" and "Olajuwon vs. Malone" to the point where they were promoting games as "Dee Brown vs. Drazen Petrovic."

It may be a retarded way to try to get back to promoting the teams, (which Stern is seems to be committed to now) but I think the League is on a mandate to curb the unnecessary shows of individuality, which is essentially what these guys are doing with all the in-game fashion stuff.

I also think the League believes all the headbands, wristbands and rubber bands are seen by the general public as lumped in along with the cornrows and tattoos, which while certainly a discriminatory outlook, does in fact turn a lot of people off to the NBA.

Is outlawing excessive fashion going to change this? Probably not. But I think the League is trying the NFL approach of mandated uniformity. Or another comparison is the New York City law enforcement strategy in the 80s/90s to lower real crime by arresting squee-gee guys, fixing broken windows and other "quality of life" things. I'm not sure that worked either...but people think it did, so it did improve the perception of the negativity. Probably a ridiculous comparison, but I think it comes from the same general concept of cleaning up the aesthetics in hopes that it will help positively affect the real problem.

I understand why people would be upset though. Because, like yall, I don't see that there is a problem that needs fixing. But we're not the one analyzing TV ratings and running lame focus groups.

SycamoreKen
11-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, there's a lot of passion in the game...I mean, not everyone is Rasheed Wallace, but nor is everyone gonna be a Tim Duncan (Read: no emotions)...I disagree with Nocioni's technical earlier this year, for example...he wasn't demonstrative at all, and unless he said something really bad, he shouldn't have gotten teched (Read: perhaps he was deserving of a head-butt to the sternum instead)

Also, how are people going to put "food on their families" if they keep getting ejected and fined thousands upon thousands...I say keep the passion in the game or risk starving families!

Oh yeah, and of course its very discriminatory against repeat offenders...(Ron "Tru Warier" Artest, Rasheeeeeeeeeed, Luke Ridnour, Bonzi Wells...)

Tim Duncan complained a lot last year. One story in the local paper hinted that the lack of calls for him in the Dallas series may have been a result of his complaining over seemingly every call.

I like th T's being given. Shut up and play. If you can't state your concern in the appropriate maner then learn to or stay quiet.

aceace
11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
I do not hate David Stern by any means. I think he's a brilliant mind in sports management/marketing today, and has helped save the game and league that I love. So I really do respect the man and everything he has accomplished. I'm happy that we have one of the best commissioners in the history of professional sport running the league, because I know that it will always run strong as long as he is in charge. If there are any other SI subscribers here, there was a fantastic article on Stern in the issue a couple weeks ago.

All that being said, I still don't understand the wristband thing. What is the reasoning behind a rule like that?The NBA was growing before Stern got the job. Thanks to some guys named Larry,Earvin and Julius. When Stern took over, the draft class of 84 hit the market. Stern was just in the right place at the right time. he's done some great things for the league. I give credit to the players, their work ethics and a guy named Michael most of all.

Ron who?
11-16-2006, 01:59 AM
i think its dumb that u get fined 5k for wearing a wrist band on ur arm... I mean if its just frowned upon sure but if you think about it 5k if not to the players to the general audience of watchers is extremely out of place... i think hes just nitpicking at random stuff just to scare the players into "being his *****"... i think thats just the point hes trying to put across.. that he owns this league nobody else but him.... BUT he is wwwwaaaaayyyy tooooo power hungry

denyfizle
11-16-2006, 05:31 AM
LOL That's ridiculous. They actually fined him for that. RIDICULOUS. Stern is starting to become the Fidel Castro of Sports. He has to be replaced soon, I hope a former player or at least somebody who's more sympathetic to players would become the next commish.

SycamoreKen
11-16-2006, 08:20 AM
how do you know this was even Stern's idea? I'm sure he doesn't come up with every rule in the book.