PDA

View Full Version : JO / Bird / Trophy Love... Not impressed.

Anthem
05-02-2004, 03:37 AM
I've held off on this post for a while because I wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid, but I saw it again this weekend and I can't stand it.

JO's "trophy love" commercial is absolutely lame. The idea is cool, and the rink-a-dink set is intentional, but the thing doesn't work. It's not that JO does a bad job... he's pretty good. It's just that the pacing in the commercial is absolutely terrible. I can't tell if it's Larry Bird or the video editor (I'm leaning towards the latter).

Does anybody else feel this way?

bulletproof
05-02-2004, 03:48 AM
It's the concept. It begins and ends with the concept and the concept for the entire campaign is weak.

Oh, and these guys can't act. Take particular note of the Kidd spot.

Southside_Pacer
05-02-2004, 03:53 AM
They're not actors, they're NBA players.

None of the commercials really bother me. They're just 30 second things people see during the course of a game.

bulletproof
05-02-2004, 04:29 AM
They're not actors, they're NBA players.

Duh. That's why I said it as an afterthought. :rolleyes:

Eindar
05-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Gary Payton's is really good, and for as much of a stiff as he is, Tim Duncan really did a pretty good job.

BigMac
05-02-2004, 09:22 AM
I think that the JO/Bird commercial is awesome.

Remember, we're in the heart of the playoffs (enjoying some down time) and I personally won't say anything negative about the Pacers.

Interesting to note: At the beginning of the season did you ever think that JO and Bird would appear in a commercial together? Remember that Bird fired JO's friend Isiah right after a contract extension was signed?

ROCislandWarrior
05-02-2004, 11:22 AM
I think that the JO/Bird commercial is awesome.

I think it is awsome too.

I look at it this way:

It reminds me of a lame high school play with the bad set and terrible acting.

I picture JO as this huge 6' 11" 17 year old in his schools play.

The funniest part though is when he walks out the door he has to duck his head cause he is so tall :laugh:

Its all how you look at it.

Snickers
05-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Interesting to note: At the beginning of the season did you ever think that JO and Bird would appear in a commercial together? Remember that Bird fired JO's friend Isiah right after a contract extension was signed?

Good point. My sister asked me the other day if Jermaine was still going to leave the Pacers after the season like he wanted to before, and I told her that if this team makes it to the Finals, and looks like it'll have a good shot at doing it again [and probably will for a good while now], he'll be smart enough to realise this is an excellent place to be.

It reminds me of a lame high school play with the bad set and terrible acting.

I picture JO as this huge 6' 11" 17 year old in his schools play.

The funniest part though is when he walks out the door he has to duck his head cause he is so tall

:laugh: That's great. Would've been hilarious if Jermaine had stopped to ask for his line at some point too.

Too bad the HS play thing isn't as applicable to the rest of the spots. :neutral: Duncan's was the only other one I liked much at all.

Hicks
05-02-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't take them seriously; I think they're fun (one or two actually fun-ny)