PDA

View Full Version : Does This Make Sense?

Harddrive7
11-11-2006, 12:31 PM
After watching this team so far, it seems to me that they are being built as a team that can only win if it plays within that team structure. IOW you would really be able to tell when someone is playing outside the game plan. I don't know if this is good or bad though or if it even makes sense. If it's true though and we can build within that structure, and the guys 100% buy into this game plan, we're going to be really good IMO.

This team doesn't seem to care if there is a star on the team or not. They don't need a leading scorer. They don't need one guy getting 15-17 rpg. If they can continue to play this way, Tough defense, everyone touching the ball on offense, playing within, and build on that...Whew, this will be one hell of a team.

This is starting to remind me of another team in the making that I remember going to the finals back in 2000. Hmmmmmn. Although I think that team has the athletism to be better.

Harddrive7
11-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Maybe I should have changed my name to Peck or Thunderbird so I could have gotten a response to my post.

Will Galen
11-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Yes it's makes sense! As for me, there didn't seem to be anything to reply to since I agreed with you.

Pitons
11-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, that makes sense.

Skaut_Ech
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
After watching this team so far, it seems to me that they are being built as a team that can only win if it plays within that team structure. IOW you would really be able to tell when someone is playing outside the game plan. I don't know if this is good or bad though or if it even makes sense. If it's true though and we can build within that structure, and the guys 100% buy into this game plan, we're going to be really good IMO.

This team doesn't seem to care if there is a star on the team or not. They don't need a leading scorer. They don't need one guy getting 15-17 rpg. If they can continue to play this way, Tough defense, everyone touching the ball on offense, playing within, and build on that...Whew, this will be one hell of a team.

This is starting to remind me of another team in the making that I remember going to the finals back in 2000. Hmmmmmn. Although I think that team has the athletism to be better.

I'm not so optimistic. :skeptical

Although the entertainment value has gone up, I think the model for a title team still revolves around two dominating players backed by role players who play within themselves. I like the selflessness from a fan standpoint, but as far as title aspirations, I like knowing there's a guy to put this team on his back. Miami had Wade, Dallas had Dirk, Spurs had Duncan, etc. Unfortunately, JO isn't that caliber player. :sorry2: It's not that we don't care if there's a star or not. I thing we've realized we don't truly have that guy, so we've adapted, which is smart. :idea2:

I've made the analogy before, but I liken this team a lot to the Grizzlies, in that both have a young star (Gasol, JO) who isn't quite in that upper tier of being able to carry a team through a whole series and they're surrounded by a bunch of young guys with something to prove.

I don't think there's a comparison to the 2000 finals team at all. :grinno: That team was based on getting the ball to Reggie, with a lot of the team runnning as many screens for him as possible. If that failed, then Rik was fed the ball, or vice-versa. Jalen was the freelancer who kept the D on it's toes. Everyone else was a role player who's job was to get out of the way of the big three, by spacing themselves to get out of the way, or by setting a pick.

This team is just the opposite. We don't have an indentity, yet, so everyone gets looks, everyone gets shots. JO has taken a Rik Smits/Chris Webber jumpshooting, midrange role, as opposed to the Tim Duncan/Shaq role we've tried to force on him for years. Matter of fact JO's role, to me, is strongly reminisant of the role Brad Miller played, a lot of hi post passing and 10-12 foot jumpers.

I think the new model is good from the standpoint of putting fans in the seats and makes for a more exciting product, but I'm truly scared to see how this model would play out in a playoff series. :uhoh2:

Someone needs to emerge as a truly unstopabble force, or we've got to develop the bunch of truly symbiotic relationships like the 2000 Pacer's team: Dale and Rik had a dependant relationship that I had hoped Foster and JO would develop. Mark Jackson truly set up the offense and some guys needed that to get a shot off. the 2000 team was a bunch of jump shooters (Rik, Mullin, Big Smooth, Croshere), who were dependant on a floor general to get them shots.

This team is just the opposite, far as I'm concerned. This team has quite a few slashers in Marquis, Granger, Orien, Rawle, etc. This is a team of penetrators who are being taught to dish off, which makes for some nice motion in the offense, and I think is what is keeping the D on their heels. No more JO isos.

I think the chemistry you're seeing Hardrive is just that...chemistry. I thnk you're seeing a team that just may like each other, just like the 2000 team. I think that's the only similarity between the teams.

Actualy, if I'm really going to be hopeful, maybe this team can turn out to be the defensive minded, backcourt driven type team that took the NBA finals in 1979: The Sonics. (Just popped in my head. I see some real similarities to our team and that one.)

This is going to be a painful season. :fight: I think this team is struggling for an identity, so this pass the ball, we don't care who shoots, thing will pass, in favor of developing a go-to guy(s), because that's what gets you titles in this league. It's going to be intriguing to see how that develops.

(P.S. I'll tell ya the team that makes me think of the 2000 Pacers finals team. A hint- They play in Chicago.)

McKeyFan
11-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I can't think of one player on our team who even has the potential to be that go-to guy.

I think Ronnie had it. Saras has the rep for it but hasn't shown it. Granger doesn't seem to be a pure enough shooter (although last night's big three elevates him into perhaps the guy with the most potential to be our go-to guy).

I think we're going to have to trade for one, Scott.

pizza guy
11-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Who was Detriot's go to guy when they won? They essentially had a team of guys who didn't care who got it as long as someone got it, and that's why everyone talked them up so much. They won without a superstar, something people didn't think could be done.

Would I trade JO/Tins/Jackson for Shaq/DWade right now? Without even thinking about it.

But I like this team. As long as Tins stays healthy, we're a good team. Without him, we're still decent. JO is not looking to get his 20 points per game, and while that looks disappointing to some, I love it. The game in Chicago is a good example of this: JO had way under his career average, but Al and especially Danny stepped up with scoring. It allows JO to be a defensive presence underneath, and a passer on top. If we could only get a rebound...

That, harddrive, is the only thing in your post I didn't fully agree with. You said that we don't need someone getting 15-17 rebounds. I guess we don't have to have one person doing that, but it would be a nice number for the team to shoot for...:laugh:

NuffSaid
11-13-2006, 02:06 PM
HD7 & Skaut Ech,

I think you're both right.

It takes all players, 1-15, starters and reserves, front runners/All-stars/franchise player and role players all buying into the system in order to even have a chance at winning a title. It also takes one or two players to step up and become the "go-to" guy(s).

My expections have never been too high for this year's Pacers team because there are so many questions marks. However, after being only 7-games into the season except for those 4-Qtr collaspes, I have to say I like what I see so far. It's still going to take this team some time to figures some things out. That will come once players like Al, Granger, Powell and a few others get more comfortable in their roles. The measuring stick will be how well they've done by game #20.