PDA

View Full Version : Did Jonathan Bender have microfracture surgery?

MagicRat
11-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I hate to start a Bender thread, but.....

Mitch Lawrence was talking about Amare yesterday on Full Court Press and was naming players who had microfracture surgery and had trouble returning. Bender was on his list.

It makes sense, but I don't remember anything ever coming out that specifically said JB had microfracture surgery. Is that something that is commonly known and I just missed it, or is Mitch mistaken?

Moses
11-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Who is this 'Bender' you speak of?

Are you talking about the Robot from Futurama?

t1hs0n
11-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes he did.

I have been telling Suns fans for the last year and a half that Amare would never be the player he once was.

Hicks
11-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Wow. Never put 2 and 2 together on that one before. Makes a lot of sense, actually.

Slick Pinkham
11-10-2006, 05:52 PM
He did not ever have any major surgery to my knowledge.

If it happened it was covered up, and I don't think that is likely

Kaufman
11-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Microsurgery isn't a major surgery. I do a few a month. Its a 45 minute procedure, tops.

Unclebuck
11-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't believe he had it. Or at least it was not reported

ALF68
11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Who cares, he is gone after milking the payroll for what, 4 years?

Naptown_Seth
11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
I thought he had done it, I thought Amare had followed in his footsteps which is why I wondered why the concerns over Amare weren't higher considering the direction Bender went.

We probably would want to get a confirm from someplace though, rather than "I seem to recall" or "I never heard about it".

Bball
11-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Being the Bender historian that I am, I don't recall ever reading or hearing that Bender had microfracture surgery.

I won't say he didn't have it because Lord knows the local media, especially prior to Wells, was nothing but the PR arm for the Pacers and we only knew what they wanted us to know (or could hide or spin), but I'm willing to bet a cookie it was not common knowledge if he did.

Maybe it's common knowledge now amongst the media and team but there's not much reason to report it unless there's a new angle (like what you've mentioned) since Bender is history. Sounds like a question for Brunner.

-Bball

JayRedd
11-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Microsurgery isn't a major surgery. I do a few a month. Its a 45 minute procedure, tops.

Tell that to Penny, Allan Houston, Jamal Mashburn, Kerry Kittles or KMart.

Have you seen a lot of athletes come back with similar pre-op explosiveness when it occurs in the knee, Kaufman?

I didn't know that Bender had it if he did. I thought his were ligament and cartilage problems.

Only NBA guys I know of to come back and still be productive are JKidd and Zach Randolph. And each clearly has lost a step. The Obese Eddie Winslow (name courtesy of Dat Dude) is looking really good now, and has lost some of the weight that he probably gained due to the knee problems, but I'll be most interested in seeing if he can contine playing 37 mins per night and how many games he sits this year. (Although he only missed 3 last year until Portland shut him down for the final 5 of the season.)

A good thing for Amare though is that his injury has been by all accounts reported as one of the least severe of all the NBA guys to undergo the procedure. I'm not sure exactly what that means, and maybe Kaufman could enlighten us, but I've taken it to be that his micro-fracture is extra micro by comparison to say, Kerry Kittles. Kidd's wasn't supposed to have been that bad either. Then again, his lateral quickness now allows AJ to score 40 in the Playoffs, but he's also getting old, so who really knows where Amare is headed.

DisplacedKnick
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Being the Bender historian that I am, I don't recall ever reading or hearing that Bender had microfracture surgery.

I won't say he didn't have it because Lord knows the local media, especially prior to Wells, was nothing but the PR arm for the Pacers and we only knew what they wanted us to know (or could hide or spin), but I'm willing to bet a cookie it was not common knowledge if he did.

Maybe it's common knowledge now amongst the media and team but there's not much reason to report it unless there's a new angle (like what you've mentioned) since Bender is history. Sounds like a question for Brunner.

-Bball

Every other microfracture I can remember resulted in a 6 month recovery period - Amare & Kidd were the quickest back that I can recall - and Amare's was only for a couple of games before they shut him down. IIRC, Kidd had the surgery in June and was back in Dec while Amare had it in Sept., tried to come back in March and finally got going this summer. I don't remember Bender ever being predicted to be out that long.

There was never a report that he'd had microfracture surgery - if there had been this board would have been all over it. Now it's entirely possible he had the surgery after he announced his retirement - the guy couldn't even walk without pain and I'd imagine a long lifetime of arthritic knees is something he has to consider.

Not that it matters, except to him.

able
11-11-2006, 01:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_bender_051006.html

Because he entered the NBA from Picayune, Miss., High, it's easy to forget Bender is still just 24 years old. He has been with the Pacers six seasons. But in the last three, he missed 172 games. First, the left knee flared up, requiring surgery. While recovering, Bender said he overcompensated with his right leg, leading to problems with that knee, leading to most of his problems the past two seasons.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/03/24/bender040324.html

Indiana Pacers forward Jonathan Bender was placed on the injured list Wednesday for the third time this season.

Bender, who has played in just 18 games this season, is currently suffering from a sprained right shoulder.

He spent two previous stints on the IL this season while recovering from knee surgery.

http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/Tran22.htm

4/9 Activate Jonathan Bender and place Primoz Brezec (left Achilles tendinitis) on the injured list

A tough year for Bender. If you missed it, Bender's knee surgery limited him to 21 games this year and only 7 ppg. The fact is that the Pacers don't really need him anyway but Bender's value can't get much lower. Bender's still only 23 years old so someone will take a flier on him, maybe for the point guard the Pacers need so badly.

Eindar
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
So Bender had microfracture surgery before microfracture surgery was cool.

DisplacedKnick
11-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Yup - as reported, plenty of knee surgeries, no microfracture surgery.

JayRedd
11-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Yup - as reported, plenty of knee surgeries, no microfracture surgery.

Yeah....I didn't read each of those articles in their entirety, but in skimming them I didn't see the word microfracture anywhere, able.

He definitely had lots of surgeries, but I think they were all ligament and cartilage related.

MagicRat
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery

Microfracture surgery is cartilage related.

DisplacedKnick
11-13-2006, 12:32 PM

Yeah - but every other case has always had a long recovery period. With Bender he was always supposed to be right back - I think he must have set some sort of NBA record for, "Most consecutive games being listed as day-to-day for but never suiting up."

Most of what I remember is a lot of arthroscopic surgeries that he didn't heal well from.

grace
11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah - but every other case has always had a long recovery period. With Bender he was always supposed to be right back - I think he must have set some sort of NBA record for, "Most consecutive games being listed as day-to-day for but never suiting up."

That's more a case of the Pacers medical staff not knowing what the hell they're doing.

JayRedd
11-13-2006, 02:53 PM

Of course it is...That's why I failed out of med school I guess.

What I meant though, was that he had big issues at play with significant structural damage that couldn't be fixed through this type of procedure. I believe he lost both his meniscuses (menisci?) almost entirely and the issues were too large for a microfracture surgery to really fix properly. Maybe early on, but again, I don't recall ever hearing about that occuring.

MagicRat
11-13-2006, 03:05 PM

Most of what I remember is a lot of arthroscopic surgeries that he didn't heal well from.

I'm not saying he did or didn't because I really have no idea.

The only reason I'm struggling with it because it addresses the exact problem he had, so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have at least tried it. However, if he had it, it seems like they would've announced it as such to take some of the heat off of his struggles to return. But his damage could've been larger than 2.5 cm, so this surgery may not have been a feasible option. However, microfracture surgery is technically an arthroscopic surgery, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of you.........

Since86
11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
That's more a case of the Pacers medical staff not knowing what the hell they're doing.

Yep, because they performed the surgery and told him about his non-existant rehab.....:rolleyes:

Blame everything on the medical staff is getting as old as blaming every wrong move on Bird. You don't get to that level by being a blumbling idiot, eventhough you either can't/won't admit it.

JayRedd
11-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm not saying he did or didn't because I really have no idea.

The only reason I'm struggling with it because it addresses the exact problem he had, so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have at least tried it. However, if he had it, it seems like they would've announced it as such to take some of the heat off of his struggles to return. But his damage could've been larger than 2.5 cm, so this surgery may not have been a feasible option. However, microfracture surgery is technically an arthroscopic surgery, so I clearly cannot choose the wine in front of you.........

If you're trying to trick me into giving something away, it won't work.

Doug
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
If you're trying to trick me into giving something away, it won't work.

It has worked -- you've given everything away

DisplacedKnick
11-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Uh-oh - here we go again.

Robobtowncolt
11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Uh-oh - here we go again.

High five!

Pitons
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
High five!

Is nice. I like. :)

Naptown_Seth
11-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Or is it that Bender was getting it done before people were as familiar with the recovery time that went with it for NBA athletes. There has to be a case that initializes the "norm" for all future cases.

I agree with Rat's point that why wouldn't they have tried it. And add to it that this was just becoming a "famous" procedure after Bender had already had surgery. I mean it's not like tons of famous pros were getting this done in 1995, at least based on what I've read so far.

If it's still being developed in the 90's, including using it HORSES, then it would appear to place Bender at the leading edge of athletes who (maybe) had it. So it might not have been called anything other than knee surgery by journalists that had never heard of it before.

I mean "Tommy John" surgery was just surgery before Tommy John had it.

I'll admit that we have nothing to prove Bender had microfracture done. It just still seems vague to me. I mean what knee surgery DID Bender have if not micro.? You don't know because the type of surgery isn't listed or named in any of his stories.

I'm pretty sure they didn't just wheel JB into the op. room and say "okay, today we will be performing the "knee surgery" procedure, named after the famous Dr. Knee of Finland. ;)

Bball
11-14-2006, 03:22 AM
Again I say...
This sounds like a question for Brunner (or the bunny or the bear).
At least for those that care.

Me? I already have closure.

-Bball

Hicks
11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I just emailed Mike and Mark about this, so if/when they respond I'll let you know.

JayRedd
11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
It has worked -- you've given everything away

Then make your choice

Hicks
11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
As of 5:30 this evening, I haven't heard back (they typically respond to my emails).