PDA

View Full Version : Bored - What is your favorite sport?

ROCislandWarrior
05-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Since (like Shade pointed out) there are NO games on today :(

I thought some people might like to share which sport is your favorite and why.
You may have two answers (Favorite one to Watch and Favorite one to play).

I will start:

My favorite sport to watch and play is...basketball :unimpressed:

When I was 6 years old, my family took a trip to Indiana and I became extremely ill. I was stuck on the couch while everyone was off having fun but it was a blessing in disguise.

A Pacer game came on TV and I watched the whole thing (it was the first full game I ever watched). From that moment on I fell in love with the Pacers. Since my Uncle lived in Indiana he would always send me Pacer stuff in the mail.

Then Reggie made me obsessed with his brilliant clutch plays throughout the years.

I also love to play basketball because all you need is a hoop and a ball. You can play all by yourself, 1 on 1, 2 on 2 or 7 on 7 if you want.

You can't do that with baseball, football or soccer. I suppose you could do that with hockey but I don't like hockey ;)

Basketball is easily accessible and it is just so much fun.

Ok...I am done :)

Roaming Gnome
05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Favorite here is NBA basketball to watch because I just watched it a lot with my dad growing up....sipping on the old mans brew when he was not looking. He watched a lot of IU basketball too, but being young..I always liked the pro game more. Then when I got older, I liked the speed and skill of the Pros over college.

I really became a Pacer fan after my first game live in 1993. I had won a radio call in show for free transportation and tix. From there...I was hooked on the Pacers.

MSA2CF
05-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Favorite sport to watch in person = baseball.
Favorite sport to watch on television = N/A
Favorite sport to play = basketball

diego
05-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Favorite sport to watch - NFL, as much as i love the NBA, it doesnt hold a candle to the intensity of the NFL.

Favorite to play - golf. I love to golf, and usually golf 2-3 times a week during warm months.

MSA2CF
05-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Favorite to play - golf. I love to golf, and usually golf 2-3 times a week during warm months.

He said favorite sport.

PaceBalls
05-01-2004, 09:42 PM
hmm what would be defined as a sport.. not golf? Guess Poker is right out. I'll have to go with basketball.

Natston
05-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Favorite sport to watch - NFL, as much as i love the NBA, it doesnt hold a candle to the intensity of the NFL.

:nod:

I like to play basketball, because I'm unstoppable in the post when I play by myself... :neutral:

Suaveness
05-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Tennis! I love tennis to death, both to play and to watch. Definitely my favorite. I've played tennis since I was 7 or 8, and I have been attached to it.

Basketball is second as far as playing, and for watching, NFL and NBA tie for second.

TheSauceMaster
05-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Basketball is my Favorite to watch and Play
Football , I am too old to play that anymore , use to play it alot when I was young.
I like to watch Tennis , Especially when Anna is playing :D
Austraillan Rules Football ...Love to watch that when I get the chance..

isupacerfanatic
05-01-2004, 11:54 PM
My favorite sport to watch in person has got to be the Colts, but the Pacers come in a close second.

I became a Pacers fan starting young my dad had half-season tickets at MSA. I have become addicted to the Pacers and Colts since. I attend as many games as possible and have had Colts season tickets the past 2 seasons.

As of favorite sport to play definetly basketball.

Unclebuck
05-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Favorite sport to play is basketball. Second favorite is tennis.

To watch: NBA basketball, but then I think most of you knew that. Second favorite to watch is tennis. I actually think tennis and basketball are similar. Small court, quick movement, quick scoring.

The interesting thing is that growing up, NBA basketball was not something that my family watched at all. I am the youngest of 5, two older brothers. NFL was the sport, followed by the Indy 500, then NCAA basetball, and then college football. NBA was behind maybe bowling.

So when I was really young I was a bigger fan of the NFL, MLB and NCAA basketball, I never liked auto racing. Then a friend of mine took me to a pacer game when I was 8 or 9, I had never watched a game before, the pacers were horrible, MSA maybe had 6 or 7 thousand fans in the stands, but I loved every minute of it, and from that point forward I started to listen to Bob Lamey on the radio, I would listen to every game, staying up acting like I was asleep, the games started at 8:00PM back then.

I wanted to go to every game, but I probably went to maybe 1 game a year through junior high and high school, but since that time I have made up for not being able to go back then.

So I always say I found the NBA on my own, strangely enough both of my parents, espececially my mom are now huge Pacer fans.

Doug
05-02-2004, 12:16 AM
To play? Basketball. I liked football better in highschool, but it's tough to find a pick-up tackle football game now.

To watch? The Pacers. Then the NFL. Then the NBA.

Baseball and tennis bore me senseless.

I like play golf, too.

Stryder
05-02-2004, 04:18 AM
To play: A tie between football and basketball.

There's nothing like playing D in football. Hitting someone is awesome and is a thrill.

I play in the post during ball season, so I love to bang around in the paint. As a parallel to the hitting in football, there is nothing like hitting the perfect hook shot over a much taller defender.

To watch: Football. Bar none.

Mourning
05-02-2004, 07:46 AM
To play ... basketball!!!
To watch ... basketball!!! NBA and the Pacers in particular, but our local 1st or 2nd team is nice to watch too. I don't get what people like about watching NFL and MLB. To me those games are 10 seconds of action b4 it's stopped again. I know it's a VERY clichee description, but that to me is how they comes across.

2nd game I love to watch most is a very logical one here in Europe ... soccer (particularly our boys in orange), probably what a lot of Americans would consider how I just described American Football and Baseball.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ABADays
05-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Pacers, Colts, auto racing. Although playing basketball reminds me of a story. When I was growing up - around 12 I guess - a friend and I played the whole Indiana state high school tournament (one-on-one). Games were to 24. Wish I could remember who won.

Golf!!!!!! Learned a long time ago - never play a game where when you hit the ball you have to chase it.

ROCislandWarrior
05-02-2004, 11:27 AM
UB, Suace and Suave :applaud:

I can't believe I didn't mention Tennis!

I used to hate tennis and would always make fun of it until about 3 years ago when a buddy of mine convinced me to play doubles with him for our schools team.

I have never had more fun in my life and I learned that if you learn to play the game a little, it is so much fun.

There is no better feeling in sports then hitting a hard top-spin forehand right past your opponent and watching it land in the corner.

BillS
05-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, my religion is basketball, though the formation of the New Reformed Really Stupid Class High School Basketball Tournament Synod damaged my faith somewhat ...

To play, I prefer tennis because I can actually do it. I loved basketball but am about as good a player as Larry Bird is an extemporaneous public speaker.

A few years ago I discovered test cricket, which is an absolutely fascinating strategic war in an environment where you really feel like you're relaxing and enjoying the day(s). It helps that I have a good buddy who is the IT staff for CricInfo and so can explain things to me when I get lost ...

Snickers
05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Basketball. Surprise there, eh?

Actually, to shake things up a bit, I'll bypass explaining why basketball is such a great sport and tell you a bit more about my other, more obscure, sporting interests.

Rugby. No other sport where you get to do as much running into people and kicking stuff, all in good fun.

Curling. Y'know, that winter olympics event with the people pushing the big block things on the ice, trying to get them closest to the target? I like that. I've recently discovered lawn bowling, which is essentially the same thing without the ice. I don't like ice sports as much as lawn sports.

Random object wars. Just find a place with lots of pine cones [or rocks] and split up into teams, then let the good times roll! Almost like paintball, except you don't have to pay $80 to rent a gun and gear and crap like that. Plus you'll likely have some nifty battle wounds to show off afterward. If you suck at the game, that is.

Dance competitions at parties and the like. One rule: the moves have to be original or classic disco/ethnic moves. Regardless of the music. This can get pretty interesting when the DJ is playing 50 Cent or something, while I'm standing there doing the monkey.

:neutral:

able
05-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, my religion is basketball, though the formation of the New Reformed Really Stupid Class High School Basketball Tournament Synod damaged my faith somewhat ...

To play, I prefer tennis because I can actually do it. I loved basketball but am about as good a player as Larry Bird is an extemporaneous public speaker.

A few years ago I discovered test cricket, which is an absolutely fascinating strategic war in an environment where you really feel like you're relaxing and enjoying the day(s). It helps that I have a good buddy who is the IT staff for CricInfo and so can explain things to me when I get lost ...

and a nice one day international watching India clobber some other country.

i agree with both your choices :D

Slick Pinkham
05-02-2004, 02:09 PM
:confused:

There ARE other sports?

Basketball by a lot, both watching and playing. Ironically I grew up equally passionate about basketball and baseball. My enthusiam for baseball waned tremendously in the 90's, but has ticked up some lately, along with the NFL.

basketball
baseball
football
tennis

(big gap)

golf (to play only)

(bigger gap)

Indycar auto racing

(Grand Canyon-sized gap)

everything else, except during the olympics

Shade
05-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Basketball, without a doubt. Football second. Everything else is garbage to me, though I was a big Cubs fan growing up. Enter the strike and the Sammy Sosa era. :unimpressed:

diego
05-03-2004, 09:57 AM
For the record anyone who thinks Golf is not a sport has no clue. Golf is probably one of the hardest sports to play there is.

Now if you want to say it is not as athletic of a sport, then maybe, but it is a sport. Just as is racing, track and field, etc...

i may not like all sports, ie...tennis...but i respect the effort and ability it takes to get good at any of them.

Ragnar
05-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Didnt Mark Twain call golf "A good walk ruined" The one time I played it thats what it was to me.

I cant believe I am the only stereotypical Hoosier on here.

1. Basketball

2. Open wheel racing. (although the idiot grandson has done a lot to destroy it)

I even like corn. :unimpressed: