PDA

View Full Version : Your 5 Most Overrated & Underrated Players in the League

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Overrated
Ron Artest - Great defender, thats it. He'll kill his own team on offense. So selfish, such bad shot attempts, such low quality shooting. He's also not much of a rebounder. Oh, and have I mentioned how his **** poor attitude will eventually screw over any team he plays for?

Larry Hughes - This guys spent his career padding his stats on some atrocious teams. His only really good season came in his contract year. He can't shoot worth a damn (Career: 41.5% FG, 28.2% 3's), he's turnover prone (2.35 topg) and his defense is highly overrated. He's also the most overpaid player in the league ($13M a year?!?!?!) and he's injury prone.

Chris Paul - Look, he's shown signs of being a perenial All-Star, and who knows, maybe a future MVP candidate. But all of this talk about being the second greatest point guard of all-time, or being a lock for the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. Let us not forget, Stephon Marbury put up similar numbers as a rookie, and he did it on a playoff team. And from what I've seen and heard, Paul has a bit of an attitude problem just liek Stephon did. Let's wait a few more years before we label him the second coming of Christ.

Ben Gordon - Great 3 point shooter, pretty clutch. That's it. If you're looking for defense, rebounding, or passing, look elsewhere, because Gordon stinks at all three. He's Salim Stoudemire with the green light to shoot.

T.J. Ford - He's like Jamaal Tinsley only with half the playmaking skills and an even worse defender and shooter. Ok so he runs fast, so do a lot of players who aren't good enough to sniff the end of the bench of an NBA team. He just has way too many negatives andnot enough positives to ever be much of an impact player int he NBA. He also just got paid like $8.25M per year. And you all complain about some of our contracts.

Underrated
Jason Richardson - He's always at the top of my underrated list. I guess that's what happens when your career is spent on a franchise very few outside of Oakland care about. He's really a great player, and extremely exciting to watch. If he's ever traded to a team people care about, a team that gets some national publicity, he's gonna blow up on a Vince Carter-like level.

Joe Johnson - Another great shooting guard. People thought he was overpaid when he was first signed by Atlanta, now with every above average GF in the league seemingly making atleast $10M, his contract looks like a bargain. He does it all; playmaker, defender, shooter, rebounder. I'd love to con the Hawks into trading him to us for cheap.

Yao Ming - I can't believe Yao's on this list, yet somehow he is. I think everyones so caught up in the more exciting youngsters (Dwight, Amare, Bosh etc.) they're overlooking the giant Yao. This guy was looking like the next Rik Smits through his first two seasons, yet last season he broke out and is truly looking like the next great center in the NBA. He's still my darkhorse MVP this year, and I'd be highly surprised if he didn't win atleast 1 within the next 5 years.

Paul Pierce - With the Celtics plummeting, yhis guys fallen off the radar. Yet he's still one of the most complete players in the league. Seriously, what can't Paul Pierce do? He's just a hair behind the megastar GFs of the league (Kobe, Wade, LeBron, T-Mac) yet gets about 1/5th the attention they do. I'd love to see Larry Bird work out a deal to bring The Truth to Indy. We can dream, can't we?

Al Harrington - Homer pick. But yeah, Big Al has blossomed a lot over the past few years. I'm just glad he's now in a place where people will actually care.

Isaac
11-08-2006, 03:05 PM
In no particular order
Overrated-
Steve Nash: This is coming from someone who defended his MVP titles the last 2 seasons too. Everyone talks about players who have blossomed in Phoenix as products of Steve Nash, well I think it's just the system they have in place there. Nash is a product of the system, and D'Antoni deserves all the credit in the world.

Ben Wallace: Probably the most overrated player in the NBA. He's really just a rich man's Tyson Chandler and he isn't even that much better then Tyson. They have pretty similar rebounding numbers, Ben is slightly better, and Ben is a better shotblocker, but Tyson is actually a better post defender then Ben.

Baron Davis: He only barely makes this list, because people are starting to realize what a cancer he is, but he's been overrated his whole career. What an injury prone chucker.

Larry Hughes: I completely agree with you.

Pau Gasol: I think Gasol is a good player, but he is a **** poor rebounder for a big man, and he is a terrible defender.

Underrated-
A lot of players come to mind, it's hard to decide.

Morris Peterson: Does his job every single night, and does a lot of things well. Never gets the recognition he deserves.

Michael Redd: Best shooter in the NBA, should have made at least one all star team by now. I don't believe he's made one. He makes that Bucks team what it is, they went from Ray Allen to Michael Redd, and they upgraded in my opinion.

Tyson Chandler: He's overpaid as hell, but that's not his fault. He rebounds the ball well and is a good shotblocker. He was just set up to fail in Chicago, there was no way he could live up to...

Elton Brand: Just for the simple fact that you hear Duncan, KG, Dirk, but Brand isn't in those discussions enough. Brand is on the same level of those guys.

Stephen Jackson: Some of the flack he gets is brought upon himself, but he is a very good basketball player.

Since86
11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
A second year player that's averaging, so far, 17.5pts 10.8assists 4.5 rebounds, and his team is undefeated is overrated?

The year before he was there, they won 18 games. He shows up and they win 38.........

You'd have an easier time convincing me that Harrison is worthy of a first-rounder.

EDIT: I forgot to add in there that he just turned 21 in May BTW.

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
A second year player that's averaging, so far, 17.5pts 10.8assists 4.5 rebounds, and his team is undefeated is overrated?

The year before he was there, they won 18 games. He shows up and they win 38.........

You'd have an easier time convincing me that Harrison is worthy of a first-rounder.

Read my explanation. I explained why I feel he's overrated for the time being.

Since86
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
I read your explanation, and I asked one question: What more would you like him to do?

Taken a bad team and made it look like a playoff contender? Check.
Put up unbelievable numbers as a rookie? Check.
Putting up unbelievable numbers at the start of his soph season? Check.
Carries a team on his shoulders every single night? Check.
Makes teams worry not only about his scoring but his overall play making ability? Check.

The way he's playing right now, he's a top 2 PG in the entire league. He's twenty freaking one years old and only in his second year.

By your description, the only way he wouldn't overrated is if he already won an NBA championship.

Personally I'd take him over any other PG in the league. He's amazing, and the the sky is the limit for this kid. He has tons of room to improve his jumpshot, it's already decent and he has good fundamentals. He still doesn't have real "players" beside him. He has a rag tag team, and they're just beating the crap out of people.

Again, what else can this kid do?

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I read your explanation, and I asked one question: What more would you like him to do?

Taken a bad team and made it look like a playoff contender? Check.
Put up unbelievable numbers as a rookie? Check.
Putting up unbelievable numbers at the start of his soph season? Check.
Carries a team on his shoulders every single night? Check.
Makes teams worry not only about his scoring but his overall play making ability? Check.

The way he's playing right now, he's a top 2 PG in the entire league. He's twenty freaking one years old and only in his second year.

By your description, the only way he wouldn't overrated is if he already won an NBA championship.

Personally I'd take him over any other PG in the league. He's amazing, and the the sky is the limit for this kid. He has tons of room to improve his jumpshot, it's already decent and he has good fundamentals. He still doesn't have real "players" beside him. He has a rag tag team, and they're just beating the crap out of people.

Again, what else can this kid do?

Well firstly I dispute some of your claims, but Im not in the mood to argue it.

And like I said, Paul is a great point guard, I have no problem with people treating him as one. It's all this talk about being one of the greats of all-time that bothers me. There was an ESPN article the other day that said Paul would be the second greatest point guard of all-time. Thats going way too far, way too soon.

LoneGranger33
11-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Overrated:
Dwayne Wade (But I do like the bank shots)
Chris Paul (I think he was in the air EVERY time he passed the ball at Worlds)
Chris Bosh (Never been impressed by Chris Bust - he's just a good player when compared to his teammates (I'm looking at you Pau Gasol))
Vince Carter (Yeah, okay, so he can dunk...)
Allen Iverson (40 points....on 40 attempts)

Underrated:
Gerald Wallace (Although he's starting to get too more credit than he deserves - after all, this is a guy who injured his head by hitting the rim)
Chauncey Billups (I still hate the guy...I mean, he's alright)
Paul Pierce (Possibly the greatest NBA player ever...No? Well at least the best Celtic...in the last ten years)
Kirk Hinrich (He does what a point guard should)
Jason Terry (Doesn't do anything but shoot...but boy is he good, and he looks good too)

naptownmenace
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
My time is limited so I keep these short:

Overrated:

1. Jamaal Tinsley - I keep hearing announcers say things like "Tinsley is a good finisher" or "Tinsley is great at penetrating the lane." This is mind-blowing because he possibly has missed more layups than any other PG in NBA history. He also gets stripped a lot while going to the hoop.

2. Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq was once great but his weight has finally caught up to him. He's turned into plodding center that doesn't play any defense and can't stay healthy. Four championship rings though, ain't bad.

3. Tracey McGrady - I'm starting to believe that McGrady is one of those guys that doesn't make his teammates better.

4. Carmelo Anthony - I like 'Melo a lot but he is a horrible defender which is why Denver continues to struggle in the playoffs, IMO.

5. Gilbert Arenas - Same as above. He's clutch but he turns the ball over too much and he's a revolving door on defense.

Underrated

1. Kevin Martin - I have a feeling he won't be underrated for much longer. He reminds me of a young Reggie Miller/Kevin Johnson clone. He has crazy potential.

2. Yao Ming - Yeah I know everyone knows about Yao and he's a global star but VanGundy and Houston underrated his value. Yao could be a dominating center on another team.

3. Devin Harris - Because of Dirk, Howard, and Terry, people seem to not realize that Devin Harris is the guy that really makes Dallas effective.

4. Earl Boykins - He's 5'6" but he's still one of the best PGs off the bench. You'd think that the bigger guards would just key in on him on offense but this almost never happens. His speed and quick hands are an equalizer.

5. Darrell Armstrong - people have doubted him his entire career because of his lack of size or because he's not a true PG. He's a perfectly balanced player... if he was 6'8" he'd be an all-star.

Young
11-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Overratted:

- Zach Randolph
A good scorer but a poor defender. Not worth the dollars he is being paid.

- Darius Miles
A great athlete but that is about it. Nothing special.

- Big Z
He can score inside and is a huge presence in the paint but he is not a defender and just slows the game down, not what you want in today's game.

- Eddy Curry
A good scorer but he lacks everything else you want from a center, rebounding, post defense, and shot blocking skills.

- Kenyon Martin
We have seen what he can do without Jason Kidd...not much.

Underratted:

- Matt Harpring
Is a solid player for the Jazz. Good on both sides of the court. He is effective starting or being the 6th man.

- TJ Ford
A lot of people thought that the Raptors made a bad trade. Well they undervalue TJ and his floor general skills. He is one of only a handful of point guards who trully makes the others around him better.

- Marcus Camby
Probably the best defenseive center in the NBA. Period. Not to bad on offense though. He is capable of 10-15 points per game.

- Shawn Marion
People don't give him the credit he deserves. He is just as much the MVP of the Suns as Nash is, IMO. Without Marion the Suns can't play small. Without him they lose their leading rebounder.

Gerald Wallace
Man has he showed his stuff in Charolette. One of the better wings in the league. He just doesn't get the credit that he deserves.

Since86
11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
There was an ESPN article the other day that said Paul would be the second greatest point guard of all-time. Thats going way too far, way too soon.

You need to show me that.

purdue101
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Overrated

Brad Miller - Guy is washed up and making about double what he should be getting.

Zydranaus Ilkausgaus - On the decline and overpaid. Choked big time against Detriot in the post season. Give it a year and he'll be on the bench behind Varejo, yet he'll still be making 10 plus million per season.

Ben Wallace - I don't care how good of a defender or rebounder you are - he's hands down one of the worst offensive players in the league. Huge liability at the line. He's not even that great of an on the ball defender - most of his numbers come from help defense.

Larry Hughes - Agree with everything said. Not worth 12-13 million per season.

Pau Gasol - His defense is atrocious. Seems to disappear in big games. Never led his team to a single playoff win.

Underrated

Raymond Felton - Look at his numbers post all-star break last year. They were just as good as CP3. Best player on that team IMO - yet he gets lost in the shadow of Morrison and Okafor.

Leandro Barbosa - Explosive and plays both ends of the floor. It was a mistake, IMO, for him to sign that extension for 35 million. Probably could have gotten more this summer.

Michael Redd - Agree with everything said.

Lamar Odom - Stat sheet stuffer. Has always stepped up big when Kobe is out.

Andres Nocioni - Plays both ends of the floor. Great passion for the game. Can score inside and out. Rebounds well. Really carried that team in the postseason last year. Underpaid IMO. I would love for us to go after him this offseason when he is a FA.

Jermaniac
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
My time is limited so I keep these short:

Overrated:

1. Jamaal Tinsley - I keep hearing announcers say things like "Tinsley is a good finisher" or "Tinsley is great at penetrating the lane." This is mind-blowing because he possibly has missed more layups than any other PG in NBA history. He also gets stripped a lot while going to the hoop.

2. Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq was once great but his weight has finally caught up to him. He's turned into plodding center that doesn't play any defense and can't stay healthy. Four championship rings though, ain't bad.

3. Tracey McGrady - I'm starting to believe that McGrady is one of those guys that doesn't make his teammates better.

4. Carmelo Anthony - I like 'Melo a lot but he is a horrible defender which is why Denver continues to struggle in the playoffs, IMO.

5. Gilbert Arenas - Same as above. He's clutch but he turns the ball over too much and he's a revolving door on defense.

Underrated

1. Kevin Martin - I have a feeling he won't be underrated for much longer. He reminds me of a young Reggie Miller/Kevin Johnson clone. He has crazy potential.

2. Yao Ming - Yeah I know everyone knows about Yao and he's a global star but VanGundy and Houston underrated his value. Yao could be a dominating center on another team.

3. Devin Harris - Because of Dirk, Howard, and Terry, people seem to not realize that Devin Harris is the guy that really makes Dallas effective.

4. Earl Boykins - He's 5'6" but he's still one of the best PGs off the bench. You'd think that the bigger guards would just key in on him on offense but this almost never happens. His speed and quick hands are an equalizer.

5. Darrell Armstrong - people have doubted him his entire career because of his lack of size or because he's not a true PG. He's a perfectly balanced player... if he was 6'8" he'd be an all-star.lol Jamaal Tinsley overrated. Who is overrated by, 80% of the Pacers fans dont like him and he is overrated. Nothing but pure hate.

Overrated
-Manu Ginobili
-Chris Bosh - Cant play D to save his life but he is better then Jermaine O'Neal. Ohh okay
-Ben Wallace - Tyson Chandler is better then him and is also 3-4 inches taller
-Andre Kirilenko
-Amare Stoudamire - WOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOO I can dunk 10 times on a fast break. Go NBA Live.
-Peja - Soft, cant play defense, is 6-10 and has no low post game, wont even try to get tough baskets. But gets a $64 million.
-Sam Dalembert

Underrated
-Jason Richardson - Should have been a all star 2 times by now
-Zach Randolph - Beast
-David West
-Luol Deng

BoomBaby31
11-08-2006, 04:58 PM
In no particular order
Overrated-
Steve Nash: This is coming from someone who defended his MVP titles the last 2 seasons too. Everyone talks about players who have blossomed in Phoenix as products of Steve Nash, well I think it's just the system they have in place there. Nash is a product of the system, and D'Antoni deserves all the credit in the world.

:-o , Nash makes that team. Take away Amare, take away anyone and the suns are still really good. Take Nash away with a full healthy roster and you have a low medicore team. Nash is not overrated he is the suns. The offense would not move that fast with out him. Plus he is a remarkable shooter

Kstat
11-08-2006, 05:06 PM
If it's just the system, explain why anybody BESIDES nash can't run it.

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Damn! I forgot all about Gerald Wallace. He definitely has to be on everybody's all-underrated team.

Moses
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM

I agree.

Paul is nothing at all like Starbury. Paul has much better court vision and makes his entire team better. Starbury is a score first, pass second PG.

Pingu
11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
lol Jamaal Tinsley overrated. Who is overrated by, 80% of the Pacers fans dont like him and he is overrated. Nothing but pure hate.

Overrated
-Manu Ginobili
-Chris Bosh - Cant play D to save his life but he is better then Jermaine O'Neal. Ohh okay
-Ben Wallace - Tyson Chandler is better then him and is also 3-4 inches taller
-Andre Kirilenko
-Amare Stoudamire - WOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOO I can dunk 10 times on a fast break. Go NBA Live.
-Peja - Soft, cant play defense, is 6-10 and has no low post game, wont even try to get tough baskets. But gets a $64 million.
-Sam Dalembert

Underrated
-Jason Richardson - Should have been a all star 2 times by now
-Zach Randolph - Beast
-David West
-Luol Deng

You got be kidding. Before his knee injury, Amare already was 10 times better than JO. You must have forgotten this playoffs series against the Spurs, when he man-handled Tim Duncan.

Imagine where Amare would be today had he not injured his knee

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree.

Paul is nothing at all like Starbury. Paul has much better court vision and makes his entire team better. Starbury is a score first, pass second PG.

Marbury's Rookie Season
34.7 mpg, 13.0 fgapg, 7.8 apg

Pauls Rookie Season
36.0 mpg, 12.1 fgapg, 7.8 apg

Extremely, extremely close. Stephon was actually slightly better with the assists considering he played less minutes per game. And the fga-to-assist ratio is pretty damn close.

EDIT: And since age has already been brought up, I'll add that Stephon was 19/20 his rookie season, whereas Paul was 20/21. Not a full year, but 9 months. Paul also had an extra year of college experience.

Kstat
11-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Overrated:

1. Kyle Korver- The guy is a great shooter. Ok. The fact remains he can't do ANYTHING else even halfway decent. And they gave him $30 million?

2. Gerald Wallace- This man is not Andrei Kirilinko. He will NEVER be as good as Kirilinko. Gerald is a swingman that can't shoot, dribble or pass. He has the skills of a solid power forward, but he's playing 2-guard. He's the Fat Lever of the new generation: Good at everything but what his own position requires. He'll likely stay on this list as long as people play fantasy basketball, but anybody who has actually WATCHED HIM PLAY can see that he's nowhere near as dominant as his stats imply.

3. Stephon Marbury- The consumate loser. Everywhere he goes, his team loses, and when he leaves, said team almost always gets BETTER because of it. The guy puts stats ahead of wins.

4. Zach Randolph- Only shows up when he feels like it, and plays no defense at all. Why would anybody make him the team captain?

5. TJ Ford- He can't shoot or defend. He's super fast, and can run a fast break, but he's nowhere in the same league as guys like Mugsy Bouges and Michael Adams. He's Spudd Webb without the hops: fun to watch but easily exploited come playoff time.

Underrated:

1. Zaza Pachulia- Only 22 years old and he's already a double-double machine. Not a great defender but he will rebound the hell out of the ball, as well as score. The more irreplacable member of the Atlanta Hawks.

2. Andrew Bynam- Younger than Zaza, and already a monster in the paint. I'd take him over Shaq TODAY.

3. Monta Ellis- Can run a team better than Baron Davis, but doesn't have the big name. Give it a few years, he will.

4. David West- Chris Paul deserves a lot of credit yeah, but it takes two to tango. I'll take the guy averaging 19 and 8 on %50 shooting while playing great D in the post. Best 4-man in the league nobody talks about.

5. Deron Williams- Not flashy like Chris Paul, doesn't play in the same up-tempo system, but he is no less steady a young point guard. He'll likely always stay in Paul's shadow, but don't forget the fact this kid is already one of the 10-12 best point guards in the NBA in only his 2nd season.

AesopRockOn
11-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Overratted:

- Zach Randolph
A good scorer but a poor defender. Not worth the dollars he is being paid.

He ain't the only one. :rolleyes:

OneHappyFan
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
You need to show me that.

I heard Cowen Herd on espn 950 say the same thing about a week ago. I posted it in the random nba thoughts thread, but it was over looked.
Anyway I said I think its was to early to say Paul will be the second best pg of all time.

denyfizle
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Overrated
Ron Artest - Great defender, thats it. He'll kill his own team on offense. So selfish, such bad shot attempts, such low quality shooting. He's also not much of a rebounder. Oh, and have I mentioned how his **** poor attitude will eventually screw over any team he plays for?

Larry Hughes - This guys spent his career padding his stats on some atrocious teams. His only really good season came in his contract year. He can't shoot worth a damn (Career: 41.5% FG, 28.2% 3's), he's turnover prone (2.35 topg) and his defense is highly overrated. He's also the most overpaid player in the league ($13M a year?!?!?!) and he's injury prone.

Chris Paul - Look, he's shown signs of being a perenial All-Star, and who knows, maybe a future MVP candidate. But all of this talk about being the second greatest point guard of all-time, or being a lock for the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. Let us not forget, Stephon Marbury put up similar numbers as a rookie, and he did it on a playoff team. And from what I've seen and heard, Paul has a bit of an attitude problem just liek Stephon did. Let's wait a few more years before we label him the second coming of Christ.

Ben Gordon - Great 3 point shooter, pretty clutch. That's it. If you're looking for defense, rebounding, or passing, look elsewhere, because Gordon stinks at all three. He's Salim Stoudemire with the green light to shoot.

T.J. Ford - He's like Jamaal Tinsley only with half the playmaking skills and an even worse defender and shooter. Ok so he runs fast, so do a lot of players who aren't good enough to sniff the end of the bench of an NBA team. He just has way too many negatives andnot enough positives to ever be much of an impact player int he NBA. He also just got paid like $8.25M per year. And you all complain about some of our contracts.

Underrated
Jason Richardson - He's always at the top of my underrated list. I guess that's what happens when your career is spent on a franchise very few outside of Oakland care about. He's really a great player, and extremely exciting to watch. If he's ever traded to a team people care about, a team that gets some national publicity, he's gonna blow up on a Vince Carter-like level.

Joe Johnson - Another great shooting guard. People thought he was overpaid when he was first signed by Atlanta, now with every above average GF in the league seemingly making atleast $10M, his contract looks like a bargain. He does it all; playmaker, defender, shooter, rebounder. I'd love to con the Hawks into trading him to us for cheap.

Yao Ming - I can't believe Yao's on this list, yet somehow he is. I think everyones so caught up in the more exciting youngsters (Dwight, Amare, Bosh etc.) they're overlooking the giant Yao. This guy was looking like the next Rik Smits through his first two seasons, yet last season he broke out and is truly looking like the next great center in the NBA. He's still my darkhorse MVP this year, and I'd be highly surprised if he didn't win atleast 1 within the next 5 years.

Paul Pierce - With the Celtics plummeting, yhis guys fallen off the radar. Yet he's still one of the most complete players in the league. Seriously, what can't Paul Pierce do? He's just a hair behind the megastar GFs of the league (Kobe, Wade, LeBron, T-Mac) yet gets about 1/5th the attention they do. I'd love to see Larry Bird work out a deal to bring The Truth to Indy. We can dream, can't we?

Al Harrington - Homer pick. But yeah, Big Al has blossomed a lot over the past few years. I'm just glad he's now in a place where people will actually care.

Ron Artest is a nut but he is not overrated. I hate the fact he ditched us but if you've followed up on Kings games this season, the man is a beast. Plays hard everytime and is a force both ways. Has inside outside game. Been rebounding well and passin too. How is he overrated?

Chris Paul is not overrated. The kid controls the game as if he's played in the league for 10 years. He can do it all. Just watch his game closely. The boy is tough. He's a class act too. Comparing him to Steph is an insult to Chris.

I agree that Yao is underrated, but JRich isn't. How can you cany RonRon is overrated and JRich is underrated? JRich doesn't play D and as much as he is athletic as hell, the boy doesn't know how to share the ball and create opputunities for his teammates. He's no leader and it doesn't show on the court either that he affects his teammates in a positive way.

David West is underrated. Shawn Marion is a fantasy god but is still under appreciated for his game.

I'll say this and prepare to :duck: but as much as I love Danny Granger's attitude and game, he is a bit overrated around Indiana fans. He has a big upside, but at this point of his career he's still not as good as most of you will him to be. He still doesn't have that presense of mind and savvy reserved for players most of us Pacerheads try to associate DG with at this point. He could get there but he's still got a ways to go.

denyfizle
11-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Marbury's Rookie Season
34.7 mpg, 13.0 fgapg, 7.8 apg

Pauls Rookie Season
36.0 mpg, 12.1 fgapg, 7.8 apg

Extremely, extremely close. Stephon was actually slightly better with the assists considering he played less minutes per game. And the fga-to-assist ratio is pretty damn close.

EDIT: And since age has already been brought up, I'll add that Stephon was 19/20 his rookie season, whereas Paul was 20/21. Not a full year, but 9 months. Paul also had an extra year of college experience.

You can't compare the 2 simply because their stat line looks the same. No way man! Just look at Paul's impact on this franchise. This was one of the worst teams in the league before he came in. All the intangibles he has that Steph doesn't, don't show in the stat sheet. Everyone who's played organized ball would appreciate the difference of having a CP against Starbury runiing their team. He controls his team, he's a leader and he can do it all. He's just a winner and the greatest thing about the dude is he's just getting started.

croz24
11-08-2006, 06:59 PM
couldn't limit my list to just 5 apiece so i went with 10...
overrated:
1) iverson
2) ben wallace
3) jo
4) shaq
5) rashard lewis
6) billups
7) nash
8) marion
9) melo
10) battier

underrated
1) hinrich
2) hamilton
3) bosh
4) mike miller
5) brand
6) kobe
7) west
8) foster
9) cassell
10) duhon

Tony Valente
11-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Overrated:
1. JO
2. Anthony
3. McGrady
4. Kaman (whenever i watched him, he looked worse than Harrison)
5. R. Wallace

Underrated:
1. JRich
2. Nash (ye, i really think he is a bball genius and not earned half of wht he deserves yet)
3. G. Wallace
4. S. Livingston
5. L. Odom
6. Haslem

Leisure Suit Larry
11-08-2006, 08:49 PM
*EDIT: I'm an idiot*

Mordecaii
11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
No offense Leisure Suit Larry, but PacersFan83 compared their rookie seasons because Chris Paul has only played one full season... of course, I suppose he could make up some stats and compare those...

Oh and just for the record, I don't think that Paul will turn out like Marbury because he seems like less of a selfish player, but I still don't really like him all that much.

Leisure Suit Larry
11-08-2006, 09:28 PM
No offense Leisure Suit Larry, but PacersFan83 compared their rookie seasons because Chris Paul has only played one full season... of course, I suppose he could make up some stats and compare those...

Oh and just for the record, I don't think that Paul will turn out like Marbury because he seems like less of a selfish player, but I still don't really like him all that much.

lol, im an idiot. I thought they were talking about Paul Pierce for some reason.

naptownmenace
11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
lol Jamaal Tinsley overrated. Who is overrated by, 80% of the Pacers fans dont like him and he is overrated. Nothing but pure hate.

Haha, I knew someone would say something like this and I figured it would be you!

I said Tinsley was overrated based on what the media says about him. People that follow the team closely don't overrate him but I heard Quin Buckner say "Jamaal is a great finisher in the lane," last week and my jaw basically hit the floor. He lost all credibility with that one statement.

Overrated

-Sam Dalembert

Underrated

-Luol Deng

Those are some good ones. I totally agree.

Since86
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I heard Cowen Herd on espn 950 say the same thing about a week ago. I posted it in the random nba thoughts thread, but it was over looked.
Anyway I said I think its was to early to say Paul will be the second best pg of all time.

Can we please see a show of hands on how many people who listen to Colin Cowherd regularly that actually believes half of the things he says?

He says things just to say them.

JayRedd
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Underrated

David West - Don't know, you better axe somebody. Won't be in this category much longer.
Richard Jefferson - Defensive stopper who is unstoppable offensively. Passes and rebounds too. What more do people want from this guy?
Matt Harpring - 13 ppg career average on 10.4 shots per game. Brings everything to the table offensively. Career 48% shooter. Great passer. High IQ.
Luol Deng - Best of the Baby Bulls
Udonis Haslem - Horace Grant minus the googles. 15 footers for days.Overrated

Channing Frye - How bout get a rebound
Ben Gordon - How bout guard someone
Rashad Lewis - See both above
Antawn Jamison - Great in fantasy. Not so much in real life.
Tim Thomas - Short-term memory is bliss, I guess. People are really falling for this again?