PDA

View Full Version : Game reports from Philly} Sixers lose control of Pacers house.

Will Galen
11-08-2006, 06:15 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/15957652.htm

Sixers lose control of Pacers' house By PHIL JASNER
jasnerp@phillynews.com

INDIANAPOLIS - The editors wanted everything in early because of election returns. The 76ers cooperated. They were done by roughly 9:20 last night. They lost in a landslide.

Stop us if you've heard this before, but they were outshot and outrebounded, only this time they had no antidote. Stop us again if you've heard this before, but for the second game in succession Chris Webber and Samuel Dalembert sat out the fourth quarter, only this time the two starting big men were out for the final 19 minutes, 39 seconds.

With 100 percent of the precincts in, the Indiana Pacers were 97-86 winners in a race that ceased being competitive in the second quarter. The Sixers, who trailed by as many as 25 points, were beaten by at least 20 rebounds for the second time in four games, this time by 52-32; despite being barely outshot overall (45.1 percent to 44.6), they wounded themselves with a 6-for-24 second quarter in which they were outscored, 31-13.

They came in 3-0 for the first time since 2000-01, and didn't look anything like a team with that record.

"I was just hoping guys weren't feeling like, 'Yeah, we're going to lose one sooner or later,' but it just definitely didn't have to happen tonight,'' Allen Iverson said after shooting 8-for-22 and handing out only three assists. "It'd be crazy to think you're going to win all 82 games, but it didn't have to happen tonight. It was a game we could have won.''

Down 64-47 with 4:48 left in the third quarter, Iverson yelped, "Come on, we ain't goin' home yet. We ain't goin' anywhere yet.'' Sadly, that exhortation fell on deaf ears. The Pacers placed all five starters in double scoring figures, with Jermaine O'Neal at the head of the class, contributing 16 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks. Rawle Marshall came off the bench to score 16 points, while backup big man Jeff Foster took 10 rebounds; Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley combined for 11 assists, five fewer than all of the Sixers.

"If we approach it like, 'Tonight we're just going to come out and go through the motions,' we're going to have a long season,'' said Iverson, who insisted he wasn't ready to suggest that was what had just happened. "We've got to approach every game like we approached the first three, trying to win every game. You've got to play like you're trying to win every single game.

"I know we didn't play as hard as we could have played as a team. I don't want guys to feel like we have to lose a game. You have to feel like you're a good team. It's all right to be a good team. I know things haven't been going well around here lately, especially last year, but last year is over.

"[You've] got to feel like you're a good team. Don't get paranoia; don't get antsy. Just feel like you can win. Don't think it's a big deal when you win a basketball game. We can win. We have the capability of winning basketball games. We've got personnel to win basketball games, and you've got to approach it like that.''

Coach Maurice Cheeks lamented his players taking "a lot of quick shots, resulting in [the Pacers] getting up and down, shooting a lot of layups.''

"That's where our defense broke down,'' he said. Later, he said, "We've obviously got to do a lot better rebounding the ball.''

Webber, showing a new look - bald, sans headband - put up a diplomatic front, saying, "It's not one point. You just have to give them credit.''

"As a team, we're 3-1; we've just got to keep plugging away,'' he said. "For me personally, it's just staying focused, staying professional, playing hard.''

Asked whether it was a concern that they twice have been beaten on the glass by at least 20, Webber said, "It's like, yes and no. Only four games, yes. But only four games and it's been twice, no.

"It's something I'm sure we'll address, and we have to do it by committee. The more rotations you're doing, the less likely guys are going to be in position to rebound and know where shots are coming from. When you know where shots are coming from, you can pretty much gauge where [the rebounds will be].''

But even in a landslide loss, there has to be a measure of perspective. (In politics, that might be termed spin.) So here was Kyle Korver reporting in with a bit of analysis.

"Obviously, tonight did not go the way we wanted it to go,'' he said. "But we're 3-1. If we had said at the beginning of the season we'd start off 3-1, we all would have said, 'All right, we'll take that and we'll go from there.' That's the way we've got to look at it.''

Will Galen
11-08-2006, 06:18 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/15954801.htm

Sixers suffer first loss of season
By Joe Juliano
Inquirer Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS - All right, so the 76ers weren't going to go 82-0 this season. You knew they would lose a game sooner or later.

But it's the way they recorded their first loss, a 97-86 decision last night at Conseco Fieldhouse that was more of a drubbing than the final score would indicate, that sent an alarm ringing inside Allen Iverson's head.

Iverson did not think the Sixers (3-1) played as if they expected to win, a theory supported by the Pacers' 52-32 advantage on the backboards and the Sixers' 25-point deficit after three quarters.

"I know that we didn't play as hard as we could have played out there as a team," Iverson said. "I don't want guys to feel like we have to lose games. You have to feel like you're a good team. It's all right to be a good team.

"I know things haven't been going well around here lately, especially last year. But last year is over. You've got to feel like you're a good team and don't get paranoid, don't get antsy, just feel like you can win.

"Don't think it's a big deal because you won basketball games. We can win. We've got the capability to win basketball games. We've got the personnel to win basketball games. You've got to approach games like that."

Iverson, who averaged 34.0 points and 9.7 assists in the Sixers' 3-0 start, accounted for just 20 points and three assists last night while shooting 8 of 22 from the field.

After a decent first quarter, the Sixers were drummed out of the building in the second, getting outscored by 31-13 and shooting a meager 25 percent (6 of 24) from the field. At halftime, the Pacers led by 51-36 on the scoreboard and by 32-16 on the glass.

Life got no better in the third quarter. The Sixers made just two of their first eight shots and the Pacers extended their margin. It got as high as 25 points by the end of the quarter, with Indiana up by 80-55 and coach Maurice Cheeks clearing his bench for the fourth.

Chris Webber, who managed just seven points and three rebounds, sat out the final 19 minutes, 39 seconds, as did Samuel Dalembert.

Indiana's lopsided rebounding advantage marked the second time in four games that the Sixers have been beaten by 20 or more on the boards. And the distress signal is lit.

"We've got to do a lot better job, obviously, rebounding the basketball," Cheeks said. "I thought our defense was OK at times. But offensive rebounding the way they did and getting beat by 20 on the boards, that's unacceptable."

Webber, who has made just 33.3 percent of his field-goal attempts in four games, said he plans to "just stay focused, stay professional and play hard."

On a night of few highlights, the Sixers got veteran Alan Henderson and rookie Ivan McFarlin (six points in seven minutes) into a game for the first time this season.

Jermaine O'Neal and Rawle Marshall led six Pacers in double figures with 16 points apiece.

Amid the extended fourth-quarter garbage time, Willie Green shot 6 of 8 and scored 12 of his 14 points. Up until the fourth, Green had been 3 of 20 for the season.

"Willie and other guys got their rhythm back, and getting their rhythm is a good thing," Webber said. "I'm sure that'll help us" tonight in Toronto against the Raptors.

Tonight's game will give the Sixers a chance to erase the foul taste of last night's performance.

"It'd be crazy to think you're going to win all 82 games, but it didn't have to happen tonight, losing a game we could have won," Iverson said.

"I feel like we can win every time we step on the basketball court... . We've got to approach every game like we approached the first three games, trying to win them."

Pitons
11-08-2006, 06:42 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/15957652.htm

Sixers lose control of Pacers' house By PHIL JASNER
jasnerp@phillynews.com

"I was just hoping guys weren't feeling like, 'Yeah, we're going to lose one sooner or later,' but it just definitely didn't have to happen tonight,'' Allen Iverson said after shooting 8-for-22 and handing out only three assists. "It'd be crazy to think you're going to win all 82 games, but it didn't have to happen tonight. It was a game we could have won.''

And I say - this was the game they hadn't any chance.

LoL Iverson is so funny.

denyfizle
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
The way AI was talking it's like they haven't won a game yet or you know they're going at least lose 8 of their next 10 games. Reminds me of our season last year, even when we won there was just the gloomy dark cloud that follows the team. Kinda feels good cheering for a team with exactly the same record without the internal turmoil for a change.

Isaac
11-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I actually like most of Allen's comments if I was a Sixer fan. Iverson wants, no, needs to win, period. He plays his *** off all game long, every game, and he expects the same out of his teammates.

Los Angeles
11-08-2006, 02:25 PM
I actually like most of Allen's comments if I was a Sixer fan. Iverson wants, no, needs to win, period. He plays his *** off all game long, every game, and he expects the same out of his teammates.

Amen. Iverson is truly a great player and a great competitor.

Period.

If a guard can survive 7 years of Larry Brown, Chuck Norris has nothing on him.

Pitons
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Amen. Iverson is truly a great player and a great competitor.

Period.

If a guard can survive 7 years of Larry Brown, Chuck Norris has nothing on him.

Yes. AI is one of the few lucky men Chuck Norris decided not to roundhouse kick him in the face.