PDA

View Full Version : post game thoughts

PaceBalls
01-23-2004, 11:02 PM
horrible calls, and a terribly officiated game. Still, Pacers got quite a edge in foul shots, especially up to the last 20 secs.

The big one was the 3pter that was called a 2 at the end of the half.

NEway every team has those kinda games once in a while. Gotta give the Rockets credit, they won that game even without the bad calls imo.

If they would actually use Yao as the focal point of their offense more they could be alot better.

No losses are good losses, but it's not a disheartening loss. They played a VERY good Rockets team (could be better) with Artest playing one handed and Pollard out.

Hicks
01-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, losing sucks, but it's not like we layed an egg. Just had a bad night.

efx
01-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Since it was on ESPN I actually saw most of it. The only bad call against us that I saw was the Reggie 3 end the end of the first half. If you want to talk about getting hosed by the refs go talk to the Piston fans. As much as I dislike that team, that is not the way to end the game.

We lost to a team that I don't think are better than us but tonight they just played better than us. Simple as that. I'm sure we'll have a nice win against Washington tomorrow.

Roaming Gnome
01-23-2004, 11:11 PM
As I often gripe about the NFL...

If you "still" can't get the call right with Instant Replay, Why even have it?

I didn't see it clearly when it happened, but I seen enough to question whether it was a 2 or 3 point basket. So, if I am at home wondering that...wouldn't the F'ing officials wonder the same and look to see? That is in the definition of their "Replay responsibilities"!!!

sixthman
01-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Can't win them all, but I sure wish we could. ;)

I won't blame the refs. Our inability to execute at the end on the out of bounds play and when JO was double teamed was disheartening somewhat. Also, free throw shooting was subpar as we missed too many freebies.

Ron Artest couldn't buy a bucket. I know he had a bad hand, but when he shoots 3 for 15, or whatever it was, we are left with a long hill to climb.

A win just wasn't meant to be tonight.

Roaming Gnome
01-23-2004, 11:19 PM
I just wonder though, if the team was set to play without Ronnie...Could we have been better off, versus Ron putting up shots with a bad wing? I know Artest defense is what you want on the floor, but I just felt he was put into bad spots on the offensive end by getting the ball at the end of the clock, or what have you.

waxman
01-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Have to give it to the Rockets...thats the best defense we've seen this season... Jermaine got his...but thats it....

I appreciate the effort from Ron...but he had Croshere and others open on the perimeter several times when he was driving or getting doubled and he forced bad shots...with a bad thumb...good effort, but know your limitations.

MagicRat
01-24-2004, 12:05 AM
My thought is that Tinsley should've been allowed to create more. Early on he was penetrating and getting easy shots for our big guys. As the game went on he got relegated to standing and watching Reggie try to feed the post.

Slick Pinkham
01-24-2004, 12:10 AM
very entertaining game with a disappointing outcome.

I don't see the cause for griping about officiating, other than the Reggie "3" at the end of the 1st half, and the little grab offensive foul call on Reggie with a little over a minute left. I'm sure Houston fans have some calls to complain about too.

most amazing thing: Bill Walton made a coherent point, in that Artest was not helping the team playing one-handed and should have been sitting.

Roaming Gnome
01-24-2004, 12:28 AM
very entertaining game with a disappointing outcome.

I don't see the cause for griping about officiating, other than the Reggie "3" at the end of the 1st half, and the little grab offensive foul call on Reggie with a little over a minute left. I'm sure Houston fans have some calls to complain about too.

most amazing thing: Bill Walton made a coherent point, in that Artest was not helping the team playing one-handed and should have been sitting.

Totally Agree!!! As for Bill Walton, I don't know why ppl belly ache about him so much? You know that he is all over the map on his picks, and about 2/3 of what he says is complete tongue and cheek sarcasm. I guess I can tolerate him because I use to listen to him and Ralph Lawler do the Clipper games. Now that was entertainment!

Roaming Gnome
01-24-2004, 12:48 AM
speaking of the Clippers, they just beat the Jazz for their first time on their home court at Staples Center. Wow, 5 years is a long time for any team to have your number in your same conference.

Do the Pacers have any streaks like that over a single opponent, other then our home record over the Grizzlies?

Natston
01-24-2004, 12:50 AM
I hate it when I am right (not always). I was worried about Yao. Granted I didn't catch the game but 17-12 isn't too shabby... :blush:

Anthem
01-24-2004, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I thought Artest should sit. They don't have a big wing scorer that we needed to neutralize... I'd have split his minutes between Al and Jones, and played Primoz some more in the frontcourt.

Ragnar
01-24-2004, 08:49 AM
We threw this game away so I dont feel to bad. I am not worried that the rockets have our number at all. Had they simply made Ron sit this one out we would have won it. No way you have a guy who cant hit the ocean try 18 times that is just irresponsible.

We would have won had they let Fred Jones take those 18 shots let alone Reggie or Cro or anyone not named Ron Artest.

slyder
01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
We threw this game away so I dont feel to bad. I am not worried that the rockets have our number at all. Had they simply made Ron sit this one out we would have won it. No way you have a guy who cant hit the ocean try 18 times that is just irresponsible.

We would have won had they let Fred Jones take those 18 shots let alone Reggie or Cro or anyone not named Ron Artest.

i would have to agree. it seemed like the whole game - players and coaching staff - were a little out of sync - this is the first time i feel i have seen the coaching staff make a decision that possibly cost us the game (playing artest hurt - and expecting anything but layups and defense from him).

otoh - we saw a good deal of just that during the isiah years - crazy substitution patterns, poor use of timeouts, etc. so,we are getting a bit spoiled.

i just never felt we would win this one. way too much reliance on JO and not enough touches for other scorers. hope they rest artest tonight and let some of the other guys take up the slack.

Ragnar
01-24-2004, 10:42 AM
I dont know if you have been welcomed to the forum yet but WELCOME! stay a while take off your coat. Have a :dance:

able
01-24-2004, 11:24 AM
What amazes me reading all this is that you are talking about Ron's shooting (which he often does because he is the only available player to shoot, or end of shotclock situations) but forget to mention that Al was "out" on the offensive end as well, unless you want to call 3 - 10 and 2 - 4 from the FT line a good offensive performance.
And what about Jeff? where was he ?
He was definitely not his usual self. So yeah we DID mis Pollie, badly even.
Yes JO was the offensive "factor" but he was told to stay away from the board to restrict possible foul trouble, that much was clear from his almost non existing action on the rebounding.
It was as much a coaching "blunder" as a player let-off that caused the loss and I for one do respect the effort Houston put up.

Tinsley's pass (at the end) a bad one? hey this is one thing i saw on the highlightreel on Real Pass, Reg "hickupped in his run, that pass was "perfect" had he not. And see HOW he had to make it and where, certainly a vast improvement from a 5 sec violation we've seen a couple of times with AJ doing it.

the play that JO had to shoot a 3 ? that was called from the side, nowhere else and did not allow for Tins to take the shot, Reg got the ball twice and TWO times pumped it back in to JO who was doubleteamed, want to blame Tins for that as well ?

We missed the "spark" and some players looked rusty, maybe that was one day to many off, I wold like to see the exact stats but this is certaily not our first "difficult" game upon returning from a 2 day break, seems that doesn't sit well for the rythm, add to that the fact that half your defensive center is not there (and yes Pollie is making more and more of an impact, Cro can't defend his own in a dressingroom let alone on a court) and you see the need for Ron to play, defensively he did great, stopped Jackson to dry in the second half (when he got him assigned) brought us in the game with some drives but DID play with an injury and was outside of JO the only one "working on it".

In the end we lost, so what, we'll clobber the wizz tonight and feel good for the weekend :devil:

:stupid:

ChicagoJ
01-25-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm with Tom and Gnome. Basically, I've got no complaints, save the outcome.

You just have to play through games like that. The only gripe for me was the absolutly horrible decision-making and execution in the last minute. I was literally saying WTF? That was borderline bizarre.

I agree. I know I'm way behind posting on the Rockets game...

I don't blame the refs; our two best clutch players (JO and Reg) just really played a horrible last minute. Reggie didn't give JO proper spacing and therefore there was no movement away from the ball, so JO had three choices, call a TO, shoot a bad jumpshot, or throw the ball away. He chose the bad jumpshot. Too bad. He shot with five seconds left on the shotclock, he probably realized the play was a complete disaster with seven or eight seconds - that's enough time to get a good shot out of a timeout.

Then Reggie stumbled or quit running or something on Tinsley's in-bounds pass. I think Walton was ripping Tinsley for the pass, (and don't forget, I usually like Walton), and I'm thinking, "Jamaal had already thrown the ball when Reggie stumbled." IMO, that's either bad luck or you blame Reg; not Tinsley.

Unclebuck
01-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Then Reggie stumbled or quit running or something on Tinsley's in-bounds pass. I think Walton was ripping Tinsley for the pass, (and don't forget, I usually like Walton), and I'm thinking, "Jamaal had already thrown the ball when Reggie stumbled." IMO, that's either bad luck or you blame Reg; not Tinsley.

I have that play on tape and it was a good pass by Tinsley. First the Rockets put a 7 footer on Jamaal to make the pass tough. I have watched that play several times and in slow motion, and it looks like Reggie was grabbed slightly, not enough to call a foul, but it looked like when Reggie was grabbed he tried to get the foul, like he does often, and that caused him to slow down and not get to the ball.