PDA

View Full Version : J.O. on D (indystar)

lumber man
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Don't expect to see finger waving or staring down the offensive player when the ball goes flying out of bounds.
<!-- PHOTO & FACTBOX --><!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5>http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD><!--MAIN PHOTO--><!--MAIN FACTS BOX--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=fbox>Sixers at Pacers
7 p.m. today, FSN Indiana
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width=10>http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- REMAINING TEXT -->
Indiana Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal simply wants to protect the paint on defense.
O'Neal is second in the league in blocks at 3.7 per game heading into tonight's home game against Philadelphia. His career high average of 2.8 came in the 2000-01 season.
"He's always been a good shot blocker," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "He's got great anticipation and timing. If he can do that and stay out of foul trouble, that's going to be key because it's one thing for him to have a high number of blocks, but if he's overextending himself trying to block shots and then getting fouls, that can be trouble."
O'Neal, a five-time All-Star, is willing to sacrifice some offense to be a factor on defense.
"Defense has to be where we rest our hat," he said. "For myself, I've always taken pride in blocking shots. Blocking shots and being able to take charges and making sure there's no easy layups, that's what I want to do."
O'Neal has blocked five shots in each of the past two games. He had just one block in the season opener at Charlotte because of foul trouble.
O'Neal knows he can't block every shot, but he wants to make opponents think twice before coming into the lane.
"We want them to rely on shooting long jumpers and not penetrate all the time," he said.
<!-- TRAILER --></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/SPORTS04/611070429/1004/SPORTS thought this was a little noteworthy, judging from that new york game he really means it.

Eindar
11-07-2006, 06:50 AM
I'll buy the shot blocking as a priority, but unless I occasionally go blind at inopportune times, I very rarely see JO even offer to take a charge.

Anthem
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I'll buy the shot blocking as a priority, but unless I occasionally go blind at inopportune times, I very rarely see JO even offer to take a charge.
Not recently.

In his last year under Zeke, I remember him taking a lot of charges.

FlavaDave
11-07-2006, 10:22 AM

I've definitly seen it. He doesn't do it all the time to stay out of foul trouble. He chooses his spots.

But I've seen him try at least once each game this year. I don't think it has worked yet, which might explain why you hadn't noticed.

Black Sox
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
JO took his share of charges this preseason. I remember in one game he he drew two charges in a row on the opposing team.

Isaac
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Jermaine tries to draw charges somewhat often, but he's really bad at it. He never stays completely set, always moves that outside shoulder a little bit to draw the contact and picks up the foul on himself. That's the only thing I don't like about his defense.

masobczyk
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
the blocks are great...but what about rebounding? :confused:

Bball
11-07-2006, 01:02 PM
How about besides the blocks he also goes for 'blocking out'?

True, he might not get the rebound himself but he'll either help one of our guys to get it or get a foul on the opponent who has to go over JO's back (or tries to push him out of the way).

-Bball

Unclebuck
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
How about besides the blocks he also goes for 'blocking out'?

True, he might not get the rebound himself but he'll either help one of our guys to get it or get a foul on the opponent who has to go over JO's back (or tries to push him out of the way).

-Bball

I want him to block out too. There was one play against the Knicks that drove me crazy, it was in the second half, and his man got picked up by either Al or Jeff I forget, and a smaller Knicks player sunk down into the lane, and JO turns and goes right under the basket and the smaller Knicks player get the rebound, and scores. JO didn't even attempt to block out, on this play he had plenty of time, it wasn't like he was trying to block a shot, he simply did not block the little guy out and it would have been very easy for him to do so.

I have believe that the coaching staff points these type of plays out to him on the films. I can't figure it out - there are some wild theories floating around in my head, but I'll keep those to myself for now

Bball
11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I want him to block out too. There was one play against the Knicks that drove me crazy, it was in the second half, and his man got picked up by either Al or Jeff I forget, and a smaller Knicks player sunk down into the lane, and JO turns and goes right under the basket and the smaller Knicks player get the rebound, and scores. JO didn't even attempt to block out, on this play he had plenty of time, it wasn't like he was trying to block a shot, he simply did not block the little guy out and it would have been very easy for him to do so.

I have believe that the coaching staff points these type of plays out to him on the films. I can't figure it out - there are some wild theories floating around in my head, but I'll keep those to myself for now

I wonder if it's one of those things that Carlisle doesn't harp on, even tho he should, because he's too worried about his reputation as 'cold' (or whatever word fits better). IOW, he's still trying too much to be liked when he should be driving a point home however he can.

Or do you think JO just can't accept that kind of criticism and Carlisle is playing the hand he's dealt?

-Bball

Isaac
11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I wonder if it's one of those things that Carlisle doesn't harp on, even tho he should, because he's too worried about his reputation as 'cold' (or whatever word fits better). IOW, he's still trying too much to be liked when he should be driving a point home however he can.

-Bball

Yeah, I completely agree. I sort of missed the whole thread about Johnny Davis when he came aboard, but what is his reputation as far as toughness on players. I'd like to see him sort of get on guys a little bit, because it seems like Chuck is too much of a players coach too.

Unclebuck
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I completely agree. I sort of missed the whole thread about Johnny Davis when he came aboard, but what is his reputation as far as toughness on players. I'd like to see him sort of get on guys a little bit, because it seems like Chuck is too much of a players coach too.

JD is extremely soft on the players - that is why he failed as a head coach. JD is supposed to be the coahc who is close to the players.

imawhat
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Hopefully someone can point out the boxing out for JO.

Other than that, it was great to see the impact he had against the Knicks. They stopped going for inside shots the minute he stepped back into the game. Awesome.

lumber man
11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">16-11-4.....that's a nice little line. i didn't get to stay glued to my set, but i believe i saw him take 2 charges (neither of which resulted in a foul call). anybody see anymore? i love the way he is playing by the way:)
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

317Kim
11-08-2006, 06:48 AM
That's what I saw and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't forget his 3 assists ;)

Cornrows
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Along with 4 blocks, JO altered a few others last night. I think his new found defensive prowess is helping is overall game. At least last night, his offense came easy and was in the flow. I think it helps the confidence when you know you are contributing on the defensive end and don't have to make all of your impact on offense. JO forcing the issue on offense always bogs down the flow in the half court.

Since86
11-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I've commented on it before, but there's a lot of high profile coaches that don't believe in their teams blocking out, and would rather their players just go get the ball, John Wooden being one of them.

I don't know about Rick's philosophy on it, but there's a pretty good chance that he doesn't teach it, nor comment on it.

imawhat
11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Jermaine had the best overall game I've seen in a while.

His stats were pretty good, but the impact he had on the game was remarkable. People are saying Jax was the MVP last night, but it was surely Jermaine. 78 more games of this and we'll be looking at the NBA MVP and Defensive POY.

Believe_in_blue
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
If JO can keep protecting the basket like he is then that will not just alter shots, but it will ater other teams confidence on offense. He is playing great D along with Jax and several others, its great to see.

PacersFan83
11-08-2006, 02:31 PM
JO's looking like Bill Russell with the way he's blocking shots through the first four games.

Three things I'd like to see from JO this year....
I'd like to see him shoot 50% from the field, or at least very close to it
I'd like to see him average 3 blocks per game for the first time in his career
I'd like to see him average 11 board per game

I think all 3 are possible, the last two if he plays enough minutes.

Isaac
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
JD is extremely soft on the players - that is why he failed as a head coach. JD is supposed to be the coahc who is close to the players.

I think we still miss Mike Brown.

Naptown_Seth
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
You don't go blind, you are blind all the time.

He freaking LED THE TEAM in charges taken last year, and also per 82games.com (not me or Pacers homers) he was one of the best "star" players for taking charges in the entire NBA.

In the final month last year he was averaging by my count (at the time via rewatches to discuss the issue) 1-2 per game, and that is a ton. He also had many others (I have vid on a few to prove it) that were blocks that were extremely close/bad calls with his feet planted and outside the circle, so his numbers could have been higher.

He is more willing than anyone on the team to take a charge, though Armstrong is challenging him on that now. It's also bled over to Jack I think, who just took 2 in the NY game I believe. JO also had 1 in that game IIRC.

Linkage (http://www.82games.com/charge.htm)
Keep in mind that JO didn't play a full season last year to get the 35 they scored him with.

edit -
VS KNICKS (verified by video)
1st 4:07 JO takes Marbury charge
3rd 8:26 Jack takes Curry charge
3rd 3:08 Jack takes Francis charge
4th 1:34 Armstrong takes Francis charge

Naptown_Seth
11-11-2006, 02:00 AM
:bump:

JO takes 2 more charges in the Magic game tonight.