PDA

View Full Version : Will JO opt out next year?

Alpolloloco
11-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't know if this subject has been handled on here, my memory doesn't recall it, but what will JO and the Pacers do with his player option for next year?

Will JO opt out?
Will the Pacers trade him before the Februari deadline?

Isaac
11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I thought his option was for 09? Even if it's 08, there is still a hell of a lot that can happen untill then. We, of all fans should know what two seasons can do.

Trader Joe
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
He cannot opt out this summer.

Anthem
11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Nope, I don't think he will. He has no reason to.

Yeah, it would be cool if he re-negotiated at a flat 15mil/year or something like that. But it ain't gonna happen.

Do you go back into your boss and say "You paid me too much?"

rabid
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Nope, I don't think he will. He has no reason to.

Yeah, it would be cool if he re-negotiated at a flat 15mil/year or something like that. But it ain't gonna happen.

Do you go back into your boss and say "You paid me too much?"

You never know. Didn't Shaq renegotiate his contract or something when he went to Miami? I seem to remember him taking a voluntary paycut (of course his contract before that was absolutely insane...)

Anthem
11-06-2006, 01:47 PM
You never know. Didn't Shaq renegotiate his contract or something when he went to Miami? I seem to remember him taking a voluntary paycut (of course his contract before that was absolutely insane...)
Down to $20 million dollars.

Supposedly, Shaq doesn't even spend any of his salary. He lives on his endorsements, and invests all of his salary.

microwave_oven
11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Down to $20 million dollars.

Supposedly, Shaq doesn't even spend any of his salary. He lives on his endorsements, and invests all of his salary.

Not a bad move...he could probably live very comfortably off the interest alone.

Anthem
11-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Not a bad move...he could probably live very comfortably off the interest alone.
I'll say.

Supposedly, he's heavy into real estate. But I don't know that for sure.

JayRedd
11-06-2006, 02:19 PM

He did renegotiate, but he certainly didn't take any less money. He arrived in Miami at the was on the back-end of his old max contract which was already well into $20+ million years.

So, to help Miami in terms of being able to cut a few million off their cap number in at least some of the next five years, he structured his extension to give him an even $20 million per year rather than receiving the standard raises each season.

Not sure the exact value it would have been each year with a standard deal, but KG's 5-year, 100 million extension now has him with $21 million, $22 million and $24 million left over the next three.

So it's pretty much an accounting/luxury tax issue and not an instance of a guy taking less cash. Nobody would do that, and I don't even think the NBA Players Union would allow it if they wanted to.

JayRedd
11-06-2006, 02:26 PM

A great line from the Big Quotable was when he said he couldn't play for the Knicks. I couldn't find it verbatim, so I'm paraphrasing, but it was pretty much "I love New York...but when I was young I was stupid and bought a lot of cars. So I need somewhere to drive all of them."

rexnom
11-06-2006, 02:36 PM
A great line from the Big Quotable was when he said he couldn't play for the Knicks. I couldn't find it verbatim, so I'm paraphrasing, but it was pretty much "I love New York...but when I was young I was stupid and bought a lot of cars. So I need somewhere to drive all of them."
That's one of my favorite all time Big Aristotle wisdoms. Love it.

Eindar
11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
As far as JO goes, he probably can't opt out until next summer, not this one. However, I don't know why he would. He's not going to be making 20 million for anyone else, especially not to start. The only way I could see him opting out is if he led us to a championship during an MVP season. Otherwise, he'd just be taking a pay cut.

Destined4Greatness
11-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Whenver the option is I doubt he opts out. Unless he has 2 MVP like seasons without a single injury nobody is going to pay him more.

JayRedd
11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
As far as JO goes, he probably can't opt out until next summer, not this one. However, I don't know why he would. He's not going to be making 20 million for anyone else, especially not to start. The only way I could see him opting out is if he led us to a championship during an MVP season. Otherwise, he'd just be taking a pay cut.

I could see it possibly happening. He will be just shy of 30 years old when he has the chance to opt out (Summer '08) and may still have the chance to get one more max deal (assuming he stays healthy and on the top of his game).

I'm sure it would have to be a no-brainer that a 5-year max would be out there for him to leave $44+ million on the table, but opting out could possibly get him a 5 year/$80 million deal. He will have to get back to how he was playing 2-3 years ago to get that offer, but if he stays in his current deal, he'll be 32 years old and probably hoping for a 2-3 year deal for much less.

So if he's sick of Indy after two more years and is still playing at a very high level, and he wants to absolutely maximize his NBA career earnings, he might opt out.

Lot of ifs though. Pretty nice to know your other option is $44 million, though.

mboyle1313
11-06-2006, 06:01 PM
All,

To clarify, the current collective bargaining agreement prohibits the renegotiating of contracts. Contracts can be extended under certain circumstances, and buyouts are permissable, but under no scenario can existing contracts be renegotiated.

Hope this clears up any confusion in that area.

MJB

Pacesetter
11-06-2006, 07:19 PM
All,

To clarify, the current collective bargaining agreement prohibits the renegotiating of contracts. Contracts can be extended under certain circumstances, and buyouts are permissable, but under no scenario can existing contracts be renegotiated.

Hope this clears up any confusion in that area.

MJB

Thanks Mark!