PDA

View Full Version : Kellogg or Buckner?

abington
11-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know now that there are no more games on channel 4, how they are going determine who or when Clark or Quinn are going to be doing the games?

travmil
11-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I think it's Clark for road games, and Quinn for home games. But I could be wrong.

Unclebuck
11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Clark will do all the road games unless he has to be doing something for CBS's coverage of college basketball.

pantsfish
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't care about either of those two, really - I just miss Al :(

Pacesetter
11-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Too bad Clark can't do ALL the games. He is just awesome to listen to.

Clark is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "He's gotta squeeze the orange!" :D :cool:

Brian
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I miss Al...i think its a push with buckner and kellogg.

But I dont like denari...I miss al's "hey everybAdy!".

Lord Helmet
11-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I miss Al...i think its a push with buckner and kellogg.

But I dont like denari...I miss al's "hey everybAdy!".
So do I....so do I....

aceace
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Too bad Clark can't do ALL the games. He is just awesome to listen to.

Clark is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "He's gotta squeeze the orange!" :D :cool:

I love Clarks little quips, its not the same old stuff all the time. He's always coming up with something new. Quinn is a homer and very honest, he calls it like he sees it.

Roaming Gnome
11-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Strangely enough...I'm quickly starting to tolorate Denari. It's probably because I have no choice but to like Denari. I do notice that Clark does get into the broadcast a little more then he did with Al and I always love hearing from the color comentator more then we usually do.

Hicks
11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
I like both pretty well myself. I'll give a slight nod to Quinn, but I truly enjoy both of them.

I like Denari as well.

croz24
11-05-2006, 04:02 PM
buckner is too much of a homer for me while kellogg provides unbiased commentary.

Jermaniac
11-05-2006, 04:03 PM
I like them all, they are not dumb like some of the announcers I hear across the NBA.

ABADays
11-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I would take Clark any day of the week. He does a great job.

abington
11-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I miss Al as well. The new guy feels pretty local and smalltime.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I have enjoyed mostly all of our announcers. I liked Albert. I like Quinn and Clark and Denari. I miss Scot Hoke and I really don't care for Peatz.... But she's ok. :laugh:

All in all our announcers get an A+ from me. I mean we don't have the best technology here and all, nothing like Chicago or New York and we still do a damn good job.

Kaufman
11-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Bring back Jerry 'Shake N Bake' Baker and Clark Kellogg!

Unclebuck
11-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Bring back Jerry 'Shake N Bake' Baker and Clark Kellogg!

I was not a fan of Jerry Baker on TV at all. Not at all.

I thought Al and Quinn had great chemistry, but Al and Clark didn't. Al talked too much - but he knew the NBA and he had been around for a lot of year.

Seems to me that Clark is a lot better with Chris (who is very bland) but Clark has more room to say stuff and I think more of Clark is more of a good thing.

Chris and Quinn thus far has been very boring.

Roaming Gnome
11-05-2006, 06:47 PM

I thought Al and Quinn had great chemistry, but I Al and Clark didn't. Al talked too much - but he knew the NBA and he had been around for a lot of year.

Seems to me that Clark is a lot better with Chris (who is very bland) but Clark has more room to say stuff and I think more of Clark is more of a good thing.

I think Clark getting more airtime to do his color commentary has a lot to do with being able to tolerate Denari. Al did dominate the mic often replacing what we should have gotten from the "color" commentary with his on antcedotes. Most nights, that would work for Q.B. but it was pretty annoying when you had someone as accomplished as Kellogg on color.

Since I get to most if not all the home games, I will get a very limited oppertunity to hear Denari and Quinn and from the sounds of it....It sounds like there is a lot of potential for dead air between them two.

I miss Al as well. The new guy feels pretty local and smalltime.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Denari has the ability to study up and be knowledgeable on the NBA, but I just feel that he doesn't have the pipes to be a great play by play guy. His delivery is a little too high pitched and not broadcast material. :twocents:

Kaufman
11-05-2006, 06:51 PM

I thought Al and Quinn had great chemistry, but I Al and Clark didn't. Al talked too much - but he knew the NBA and he had been around for a lot of year.

I probably liked Jerry Baker because he is the voice that I first listened to when becoming a Pacers fan, along with that of Mark Boyle's, of course. I liked him personally and always have been a fan...

What did he do previous to the Pacers? I know he had one of the corners during the Indy 500 calls, but other than that?

Roaming Gnome
11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
I probably liked Jerry Baker because he is the voice that I first listened to when becoming a Pacers fan, along with that of Mark Boyle's, of course. I liked him personally and always have been a fan...

What did he do previous to the Pacers? I know he had one of the corners during the Indy 500 calls, but other than that?

Jerry Baker is well known for being the radio voice of the H.S. basketball tourney. His voice is right up there with Hilliard Gates when it comes to recognizable figures in relations to the tourney...when it was great.

The call of Scott Skiles' Plymouth team beating Gary Roosevelt is one of Baker's most memorable calls.

Pacesetter
11-05-2006, 09:10 PM
buckner is too much of a homer for me while kellogg provides unbiased commentary.

lmao ... yeah, ol quinn's milkin the IU glory days alright ... lol ... Kellogg loves the game and he's undoubtedly one of the very best sports announcers in the game today. You can give the man a mic to do college or pro, and he gives love everywhere.

One of these days people will truly understand what a virtuoso Kellogg truly is for emceeing basketball contests. He is sensational, and honestly, when it comes to sports announcers I'm usually modest with praise.

I just wish his knees wouldn't have gotten him early. He could have been the one that got us into the championship many years before 2000, but I digress .....

RamBo_Lamar
11-05-2006, 11:21 PM
(If this was a "Ginger or MaryAnn" type question)

Would have to easily give the nod to Quinn Buckner. He may not be as
flamboyant or quick witted as some of the others, but his basketball
knowledge and experience cannot be even closely matched by any
of the others.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia on Quinn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Buckner

Although he had a modest professional career, Quinn Buckner’s basketball
life is a study in success. He is one of only three players in history to have
won titles at every level: high school, college, the NBA, and the Olympics.
(Magic Johnson and Jerry Lucas are the others.) In Buckner’s 10-year NBA
career he was a tough defender, a solid playmaker, and a stabilizing force in
any lineup. At various stages he filled the role of team leader and trusty
reserve.

This man has been places in the basketball world where very few others
have gone, and I consider him to be a true basketball guru if there
ever was one.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Hicks
11-06-2006, 07:56 AM
(If this was a "Ginger or MaryAnn" type question)

Would have to easily give the nod to Quinn Buckner. He may not be as
flamboyant or quick witted as some of the others, but his basketball
knowledge and experience cannot be even closely matched by any
of the others.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia on Quinn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Buckner

This man has been places in the basketball world where very few others
have gone, and I consider him to be a true basketball guru if there
ever was one.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

And all I could say when I met him was I enjoyed his broadcasts. :shakehead:

No wonder he looked at me oddly.

Naptown_Seth
11-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Clark is one of the best in the biz. He explains things that are yet to even happen. He's a great analyst for all things basketball, just behind Doug Collins when it comes to understanding the situations and explaining it to the fans.

With Doug or Clark you can tell that they are familiar with all the players involved, more than the typical color guy. Too often a guy like Walton will simply not know the rosters well enough to know their plays or style, and it shows when they fall back on sports cliches to cover the gaps.

Quinn often seems to misunderstand calls and plays, or is just so homer that he views them that way. He's generally good enough, but I greatly prefer Kellogg's insight into the sport. Nothing is more annoying than when the announcers miss calls that you are seeing even from the TV coverage.

Certainly Buckner has life experience, but again so does Walton who learned under the greatest college coach ever and experience the NBA Finals with different teams. Doesn't make you a good color guy.

Baker - great, great PxP voice. Really miss hearing him.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Denari has the ability to study up and be knowledgeable on the NBA, but I just feel that he doesn't have the pipes to be a great play by play guy. His delivery is a little too high pitched and not broadcast material.Yeah, seems to unfortunately be true. A good voice is something you just can't practice your way into.

pizza guy
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I like Denari simply because he's not Al, and I did not like Al.

No one on TV even compares to Mark & Slick...

imawhat
11-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I think Denari's okay. I miss Al and his nicknames but I can live with Denari. I think Buckner has improved a lot in the past two years in terms of accuracy, and I really like Kellogg. I would prefer Mark and Slick, but my league pass is on a four or so second delay from FSI in Indiana, and I'm not sure if I could synch that up with Audio League Pass.

I'm just glad I'm not listening to Cleveland's announcers every night.

Eindar
11-07-2006, 06:48 AM
I miss Al simply because he sounds like every video game announcer you've ever heard. Makes it feel like you're watching a friend play the best game of NBA 2k7 ever. It's cheesy, and that's probably exactly why some don't like it, but to me, it's immersive.

As for Quinn vs. Clark, I'll take Clark. He seems to be slightly more knowledgable, and he's got great turns of phrase, which is a plus as a color commentator. I'm just waiting for the first "chicken wing" reference of the young season, along with not squeezing the orange. Was it him that sometimes called it squeezing the pumpkin?

Harddrive7
11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Everytime I hear Denari's voice, I think that the next sentence out of his mouth is going to be..."Don't forget to stop by the concession stand boys and girls and fill out your ballots for Mr. Basketball"