PDA

View Full Version : Tinsley quote that says it all ?

able
11-05-2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061105/SPORTS04/611050471/1088

Jackson and Tinsley sat on the bench almost the entire fourth quarter Saturday night as Sarunas Jasikevicius and Darrell Armstrong combined for 21 of the Pacers' 32 points.
Tinsley and Jackson didn't complain about sitting out. They applauded as their teammates pulled away from the Knicks.
Jasikevicius and Armstrong finished with 16 and 13 points, respectively.
"The coaching staff asked us what we should do and we told them to let them play," said Tinsley, who had 14 assists in 28 minutes. "That's a big plus for this team. That's taking a step away from all the selfishness and pulling for each and having confidence in all your teammates."

While JT had a magnificent game himself, with 14 Ast, 4 reb, 2 blocks and 1 st while shooting 4-5 (I refuse to count the last shot which he made to finish of the clock) and perhaps was on his way to a career game, he still told coach to "let them play".

Bad attitude????

Israfan
11-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Bad attitude????

Definitely not. I'm glad to hear that.

sixthman
11-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I always love a win, but, maybe, that quote about Jamaal and Stephen was the best news I could read on a Sunday morning.

(Now about a Colts win this evening to top off the day) :)

Pitons
11-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Good to hear. Maybe we finally will have a "TEAM" this year.

LG33
11-05-2006, 09:47 AM
PACERS GUARD JAMAAL TINSLEY <TABLE width=65 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
(On the game) "We jumped on them early. We competed for 48 minutes without any let downs. We're struggling right now. Right now we're just focusing on our team and trying to win ball games. I like to get the ball up and down the court. Try to get guys easy shot in transition and easy shot for myself. It's all on us."
How many times is he going to say this? I think he wants people to like him...and I can't help but like him.

2-1 Baby!

Pitons
11-05-2006, 09:58 AM
PACERS GUARD JAMAAL TINSLEY <table align="left" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley.jpg</td></tr></tbody></table>
(On the game) "We jumped on them early. We competed for 48 minutes without any let downs. We're struggling right now. Right now we're just focusing on our team and trying to win ball games. I like to get the ball up and down the court. Try to get guys easy shot in transition and easy shot for myself. It's all on us."
How many times is he going to say this? I think he wants people to like him...and I can't help but like him.

2-1 Baby!

Yea, man. 14!!!!!!!!!! assists, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 2 blocks, good shooting, 2 to in only 27:41 minutes in a way to achieve superb statistics and he says: "Coach, let them play."

I like this attitude. :D

speakout4
11-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I never get the feeling that JT likes being out there for that long. He is a PG who needs the breaks and backups because he just doesn't have the stamina to go extended minutes. So it's all ok.

Anthem
11-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I never get the feeling that JT likes being out there for that long. He is a PG who needs the breaks and backups because he just doesn't have the stamina to go extended minutes. So it's all ok.
I've never once gotten that feeling. Just the opposite, in fact. Jamaal Tinsley is a guy who wants to be on the floor, in the game.

On a related note, did you guys notice he outscored Starbury while only taking 5 shots?

The Hustler
11-05-2006, 10:24 AM
i just cant help but smile .... doesnt look like im gunna regret standing by the Tin man ... Touch wood, still early days!

aero
11-05-2006, 10:24 AM
it was good to see everyone on the bench with huge smiley's during the 4th, that and everyone was standing up. I loved seeing that again

Bball
11-05-2006, 10:25 AM
"The coaching staff asked us what we should do and we told them to let them play," said Tinsley,

Who is running the team?

-Bball

Anthem
11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Who is running the team?

-Bball
:laugh: I knew you'd fiind something negative. It is your nature. :D Believe it or not, it's not uncommon. The team had a lead, and Carlisle could have put Tinsley and Jack back in to finish.

"You want in?" is not an uncommon question on the sidelines. Relax and enjoy the moment.

able
11-05-2006, 10:47 AM
My conclusion after he came back in with 1.50 to play and Darrel showed signs of fatigue, just to finish of the game, was that he is a far better "team-player" then most give him credit for, he could have easily pouted and said "no mopup minutes for me" but he went in and finished the job professionally with his 14th Ast and closing down the clock with 26 sec to go (24 plus a very ling 3pt attempt which completely chewed up any time left)

Just great.

speakout4
11-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I've never once gotten that feeling. Just the opposite, in fact. Jamaal Tinsley is a guy who wants to be on the floor, in the game.

All the days off he has had the last few seasons argues against that statement.

lumber man
11-05-2006, 11:02 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
it was good to see everyone on the bench with huge smiley's during the 4th, that and everyone was standing up. I loved seeing that againthat was my favorite part of the game:D .
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

317Kim
11-05-2006, 11:32 AM
:sunshine:

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Hopefully this feeling stays.

Hicks
11-05-2006, 11:40 AM
This was a very nice thing to read, and in my opinion anyone finding fault in it in any way needs to take a look in the mirror and decide if they really enjoy being a fan of a basketball team.

Mourning
11-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I aggree Hicks and others. This is the sort of stuff I like to hear. Even if there's a little PR in it, I don't care.

This is also the Tinsley that was my favorite player sometime ago. More of that I say.

Keep up the good work guys! :)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Jermaniac
11-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Always pouting.

ALF68
11-05-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061105/SPORTS04/611050471/1088

Jackson and Tinsley sat on the bench almost the entire fourth quarter Saturday night as Sarunas Jasikevicius and Darrell Armstrong combined for 21 of the Pacers' 32 points.
Tinsley and Jackson didn't complain about sitting out. They applauded as their teammates pulled away from the Knicks.
Jasikevicius and Armstrong finished with 16 and 13 points, respectively.
"The coaching staff asked us what we should do and we told them to let them play," said Tinsley, who had 14 assists in 28 minutes. "That's a big plus for this team. That's taking a step away from all the selfishness and pulling for each and having confidence in all your teammates."

While JT had a magnificent game himself, with 14 Ast, 4 reb, 2 blocks and 1 st while shooting 4-5 (I refuse to count the last shot which he made to finish of the clock) and perhaps was on his way to a career game, he still told coach to "let them play".

Bad attitude????

What am I missing here? Rick coach the freaking team already. Why do you feel it is neccessary to ask for players permission on who plays? Rick stand up and be a man and quit cowtowing to the players.

Mourning
11-05-2006, 12:45 PM
What am I missing here? Rick coach the freaking team already. Why do you feel it is neccessary to ask for players permission on who plays? Rick stand up and be a man and quit cowtowing to the players.

Bull!!! It's not bad at all to listen to your players when things are going ok.

Regards,

Bball
11-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Let me put it this way... For Tinsley, it's a positive start. There's a long season to go so I'm not going to do cartwheels yet. It doesn't automatically erase what has come before it but it's certainly better than the alternative.

-Bball

aceace
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
This thread made mt day (as someone else said). I have always thought Jamal was a very good PG, the injuries are very frustrating. Maybe if we can keep him around 30-35 minutes he can stay healthy. I think we really got the best of Dallas in the trade. I like many of you didn't think so at first. We got an energizer bunny on caffeine and a leader in the locker room that everyone likes. I hope DA becomes an assistant coach for us next year. He's absolutely positive for this team. We got 2 solid reserves forcing us to cut a promising player. We got Daniels who has yet to find his role, but it looks promising. A new offense that fits our players better. We're very young. I know its early in the season to boast too much, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Arcadian
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I've been asked if I wanted back in by coaches. It's not a big deal.

Beyond that silly point. What if the problems with Tins' attitude last year was the crowded backcourt, K. O'Neil, tempo and culture of the team? If all of that has changed isn't it very possible that Tins has changed?

3rdStrike
11-05-2006, 01:10 PM
It says "the coaching staff," not "Rick Carlisle." From that you can infer that it wasn't Carlisle directly asking Tinsley and Jackson. If you know anything at all about coaching, handling egos is every bit as large a task as actual in-game management.

With the game well in hand and the backups performing but the cue card saying that it's time for your regulars to return, if you can afford them the opportunity to get extra rest, especially when they play for the Pacers, you ask them if they'll take it.

This builds confidence and comraderie. There are no downsides here, so stop fishing for them.

Bball
11-05-2006, 01:20 PM
What if the problems with Tins' attitude last year was the crowded backcourt, K. O'Neil, tempo and culture of the team? If all of that has changed isn't it very possible that Tins has changed?

Yes, it is.

-Bball

Trader Joe
11-05-2006, 01:22 PM
I still don't get where the whole Tinley's a pouter idea came from in the first place. I just think the guy is a victim of his body breaking down at times and that automatically being termed an attitude problem.

Tins is the most important player to this team as usual. Reggie said it, JO has said it and I think management knows it too.

grace
11-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Since Tinsley is from New York does anyone think maybe possibly Rick asked him if he wanted to play more because he was playing in front of his peeps?

RamBo_Lamar
11-05-2006, 01:51 PM

Whoa - this sounds like something a IndyStar Board reject would say...
Oh, wait a minute...what? I see you're not listed on their Members List
any more! OMG...WHAT HAPPENED??? (lol)

If the coaches aren't willing to listen to what the players think, then they
don't need to be coaches. It is especially true if we are indeed trying to
get away from play calling from the bench all the time...the players need
to coach themselves. Asking what they think is not asking their permission,
and is a nice way to let them know that what they think matters. If they
are equally involved with running the team, and involved in the decision
making proccesses, wouldn't that give them alot more vested interest in
whether the team succeeds or not? I would think so, and am very
encouraged by this report.

Mourning
11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Whoa - this sounds like something a IndyStar Board reject would say...
Oh, wait a minute...what? I see you're not listed on their Members List
any more! OMG...WHAT HAPPENED??? (lol)

If the coaches aren't willing to listen to what the players think, then they
don't need to be coaches. It is especially true if we are indeed trying to
get away from play calling from the bench all the time...the players need
to coach themselves. Asking what they think is not asking their permission,
and is a nice way to let them know that what they think matters. If they
are equally involved with running the team, and involved in the decision
making proccesses, wouldn't that give them alot more vested interest in
whether the team succeeds or not? I would think so, and am very
encouraged by this report.

Ehmmm... don't mention Rats in here, please ;) :D:D:D.

Regards,

DeS
11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Who is running the team?-Bball
Well, that really could be the problem. Last year many of you were angry and said, that Rick is afraid to bench SJax.
- "Hey, Jackson, don't you want to be benched?"
- "No - I want to play!"

On the other hand - I liked it too. It has a great impact on pacifying the fans (especially Tinsley - Saras fans).

waterjater
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM

WOW, I can't believe anyone could see a negative in this. This may be the best thing I've heard from our players since the 2000 NBA finals team.

Over the last couple years, we'd ***** and moan about Carlisle substituting at specific times and putting the starters back in to blow the momentum created by the reserves....probably because he had to, to placate their egos. This was a great "Test" and the players FINALLY passed it. Ride the players that are hot....Bird used to do this and no one *****ed about it. All great coaches solicit feedback from their team.

Armstrong and Saras deserved to be out there. Great!

I also hope we keep playing a zone when Saras is in. This will help solve his lack of quickness issues.

Water

beast23
11-05-2006, 03:40 PM
This was a very nice thing to read, and in my opinion anyone finding fault in it in any way needs to take a look in the mirror and decide if they really enjoy being a fan of a basketball team.I don't take a negative with Tinsley and the way he handled it. Kudos to him.

Of course we may not be seeing the exact wording of how Rick handled it. But if he ASKED whether they wanted back in, I don't think that was the best way for him to handle it. [But then I don't have the personal relationship with the players that he has either]

If I were in charge, I would have handled it like this: "Hey guys, I know you are expeciting to get back in the game. But Sarunas and Armstrong are playing great ball, both guys are hot, and I've got the confidence in thme to ride them for a while to see how it works out. If things start to change, be ready to go back in on a moments notice."

In this instance, I don't think you want to ask your players. Instead you want to inform them what your decision is and WHY you are making that decision. Then its up to the players on the bench to show me that they are behind their teammates or that they would chose to sit and pout.

The way it was handed, I don't really think Tinsley and Jackson had choices. It was obvious to both of them what was expected. The only way you do regain complete trust in them is to put them in situations where they do have choices. In my scenario, they would have had the choice to be behind their teammates or pout.

Anthem
11-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Since Tinsley is from New York does anyone think maybe possibly Rick asked him if he wanted to play more because he was playing in front of his peeps?
A good point that I hadn't thought of.

ALF68
11-05-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't take a negative with Tinsley and the way he handled it. Kudos to him.

Of course we may not be seeing the exact wording of how Rick handled it. But if he ASKED whether they wanted back in, I don't think that was the best way for him to handle it. [But then I don't have the personal relationship with the players that he has either]

If I were in charge, I would have handled it like this: "Hey guys, I know you are expeciting to get back in the game. But Sarunas and Armstrong are playing great ball, both guys are hot, and I've got the confidence in thme to ride them for a while to see how it works out. If things start to change, be ready to go back in on a moments notice."

In this instance, I don't think you want to ask your players. Instead you want to inform them what your decision is and WHY you are making that decision. Then its up to the players on the bench to show me that they are behind their teammates or that they would chose to sit and pout.

The way it was handed, I don't really think Tinsley and Jackson had choices. It was obvious to both of them what was expected. The only way you do regain complete trust in them is to put them in situations where they do have choices. In my scenario, they would have had the choice to be behind their teammates or pout.

We have a winner! Great post and I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Shack80
11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I will choose to view this positvley and hope that the team is making a turn around in attitude. I hope it sticks, this could be a very fun team to watch if it does.

McKeyFan
11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
It says "the coaching staff," not "Rick Carlisle." From that you can infer that it wasn't Carlisle directly asking Tinsley and Jackson. If you know anything at all about coaching, handling egos is every bit as large a task as actual in-game management.

If this is the case, then I think the report is a total positive. If not, then, and Rick asked them directly, I agree with BBall--who's running the team?

And the idea that Rick may have inserted Tins cuz its his hometown does not help. A coach doesn't risk the best personnel at the end of games to help a player impress his homies.

That being said, it's clear something different is going on in the locker room and on the bench than what happened last year. That's got to be a good thing.