PDA

View Full Version : Boomer repelling from the rafters?

miller31
11-05-2006, 12:52 AM
I have been told by a friend at the game that Boomer and Bowser both came down from the rafters at Conseco. I was not sure if he was joking or telling the truth. Can anyone verify this if they went to the game. I sure hope this is a fact because I miss him coming down like at MSA.

Trader Joe
11-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Your friends a liar.

Just kidding. Yeah he did repel.

Naptown_Seth
11-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I'm really glad the TV coverage has expanded to show the pregame stuff, at least for the home opener, so I got to see this. This was the first home opener in Conseco I've missed and it would really have sucked to not get to see the repel back. Used to be one of my favorite things in MSA.

Didn't appear that they had the giant Pacers flag that Boomer used to carry as he came down. Still it was really cool. Great for the 40th anniversary home opener.

lumber man
11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">did they do it pretty early? i totally missed it.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pizza guy
11-05-2006, 05:56 PM
I was at one of the preseason games thinking about this. I'm really glad they brought it back. Is it a one-time thing, or will they do it every game? Anyone know?

beast23
11-05-2006, 06:40 PM
In the first season at Conseco, Boomer used to repel all the time. Then I heard that there were some concerns regarding safety and insurance, so the repelling was nixed.

I got to the game just a couple of minutes before the start, so I must have missed it.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, he did. And I agree, I enjoy the expanded pre-game stuff that FSI is showing. I hope they do it all year.

Roaming Gnome
11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
In 1996 the mascot for the Fort Wayne Fury had a repelling accident during the opening of a play-off game and fell over 50 feet from near the Coliseum roof. His repelling brake had malfunctioned causing him to fall nearly to his death. I was at the game when this happened and thought it was part of the show...Kinda like how they drop a dummy dressed like an official from the rafters. Then I noticed Sabre's head had came off and the dude was just laying there motionless. It was rather scary and from then I noticed that the Coliseum had banned the stunt from being done and that was the last season that I noticed the Pacers do it on an every game basis to the point where it was just phased out.

I'm sure there are insurance reasons for this stunt being rarely done anymore.

FlavaDave
11-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Dang, I missed it too. Gotta get there earlier I guess.

Naptown_Seth
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
In the first season at Conseco, Boomer used to repel all the time. Then I heard that there were some concerns regarding safety and insurance, so the repelling was nixed.

I got to the game just a couple of minutes before the start, so I must have missed it.
I don't think that's correct. As noted, it was either the Ft. Wayne accident or the WWF accident that prompted the end of all sorts of repelling. Owen Hart died the May before the opening of Conseco, and I was at the home opener that fall and can assure you it didn't happen at that game. It also wasn't done during the playoffs the following spring at all. I only saw 1 other game in between but I'd be surprised if they did it at other times but not for the 2000 playoff run or the grand opening of Conseco.

Dang, I missed it too. Gotta get there earlier I guess.
Earlier? This was at the beginning of the lights out team introduction. I hope you just didn't notice, or do you typically get in after tip-off?

MagicRat
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Earlier? This was at the beginning of the lights out team introduction. I hope you just didn't notice, or do you typically get in after tip-off?

I have do idea what I was looking at but I didn't see them either. :blush:

Probably helping the kids with their flags and glowsticks.

You'd think I would've seen them anyway since they would've been starting right at my eye level.............

miller31
11-06-2006, 06:54 PM

Boomer never repelled from Conseco. Owen Harts incident ended that for Conseco. Im glad to see them bring back the fun stuff that gets the fans into it. Cant wait to see him in action on Tuesday!

Pacesetter
11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I have do idea what I was looking at but I didn't see them either. :blush:

Probably helping the kids with their flags and glowsticks.

You'd think I would've seen them anyway since they would've been starting right at my eye level.............

I don't believe the spotlight hit them until they were about 25 feet off the court. I would have missed it too, but just happened to pick it up just before he touched down.

PacersFan83
11-07-2006, 02:17 AM
The Owen Hart incident was just incredible negligence though. It wasn't like it was some freak accident that was unpreventable, it was just flat out gross negligence.

Banning all repelling at sporting events over that single incident would be like banning all auto races because with a car with a punctured break line crashed and killed the driver.

In the weeks that followed, much attention focused on the harness Owen used that night, especially on the "quick release" trigger and safety latches. When someone is lowered from the rafters in a harness, there are backup latches that must be latched for safety purposes. These backups may take some time to unlatch, which would have made Owen's stunt difficult to perform smoothly. Therefore, it was apparently decided that it was more important not to have the safety backups, because it would be easier for Owen to unlatch himself.

In addition to not having safety backups, the harness Owen used was designed for sailboats and required only six pounds of weight to trigger the quick release mechanism; Owen weighed about 225 pounds. An out-of-court settlement between Owen Hart's family and the WWF has prevented the release of any information about the harness. The WWF, however, decided to ban stunts of a similar nature from this point on to avoid a similar event from occurring.