PDA

View Full Version : Turnovers

Naptown_Seth
11-04-2006, 03:31 PM
While we've all been worked up over the blown finish last night, or excited about the opening win, under the radar the team has dropped their turnovers back down to normal.

29 in 2 games instead of 1 like we saw in preseason. 12 in the first half vs Charlotte so only 17 in the last 6 quarters. They've gone from basically an 8 TO/qtr team to a 6 TO/qtr team to a 3 TO/qtr team in a week. That's a really nice improvement.

They've won the TO battle in both games. Considering what a disaster it appeared to be in preseason it's quite a turnaround.

MagicRat
11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
While we've all been worked up over the blown finish last night, or excited about the opening win, under the radar the team has dropped their turnovers back down to normal.

29 in 2 games instead of 1 like we saw in preseason. 12 in the first half vs Charlotte so only 17 in the last 6 quarters. They've gone from basically an 8 TO/qtr team to a 6 TO/qtr team to a 3 TO/qtr team in a week. That's a really nice improvement.

They've won the TO battle in both games. Considering what a disaster it appeared to be in preseason it's quite a turnaround.

I'd gladly allow a few more turnovers for some fastbreak points.

I'm fustrated by the fact that the Star headline today was "New Pacers Look a Lot Like Last Year's Model." I thought fun was back?

Putnam
11-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I'd gladly allow a few more turnovers for some fastbreak points.

Magic Rat makes sense. The Pacers had only 7 fast break points last night, after getting 23 against Charlotte. That made their poor rebounding a greater problem, since they weren't scoring on the break and needed more second chances.

rexnom
11-04-2006, 06:35 PM
The number one issue last night was rebounding. Rebounding leads to so many other great things. But overall I agree with Naptown Seth.

BlueNGold
11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
The number one issue last night was rebounding. Rebounding leads to so many other great things. But overall I agree with Naptown Seth.

Yes, the number one issue was rebounding. The root cause is lack of players big and physical enough to block out...or aggressive enough to go after the ball.

Al has never been much of a rebounder. A leaner JO is not good for rebounding since he cannot hold position and block out. DG has the right attitude, but is not playing in the paint as much.

...so some other plan (ie. lineup) is needed to resolve being outrebounded on a regular basis.

Naptown_Seth
11-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I wasn't saying I was happy about the loss vs the Hornets, just saying that amid all the other stuff the problem that all of us were freaking out about last week has vanished.

And they did have fast break points in the CHA game, especially in the 2nd half when they only had 5 TOs.

IMO the biggest problem in game 2 was settling for too many jumpers, especially by frontline or with them away from the rim. That was part of the rebounding issue.

But they also are just going to have to realize that this is what you give up in order to be able to outrun opponents. This is one reason why TOs cost so much. Winning the TO situation helps make up for the loss of possessions due to rebounding problems.

Anyway, following up they again only gave up 14 TOs to NY's 16 and outscore them off of those TOs. That's 3 games straight and is starting to look like a legit trend.

Naptown_Seth
11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
5 games in:
Pacers (pts given up) Opponents (pts)
W vs CHA
17 (24) - 22 (35)
L vs NO/OKC
12 (8) - 17 (18)
W vs NY
14 (16) - 17 (21)
W vs PHI
22 (21) - 14 (25)
L vs WSH
25 (35) - 13 (15)

3-1 when they win the Points Given Up on TOs battle. 0-1 when they lose it.

2-1 when they win the TO battle, 1-1 when they lose it.

Odd to see the TOs so low in that NO/OKC loss, though the Hornets were decent with the ball too. Of course the Pacers had that win in reach and then choked it away down the stretch.

My biggest concern - after the 12 TO 1st half of game 1 they dropped the TOs way, way down. Then in the last 3 games we've seen it climb from decent to pretty bad. They haven't hit that 30 mark yet, but 25 is pretty nasty.

Cornrows
11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I used to consider 15 turnovers a good over/under indicator for the Pacers but with the effort to push the ball I think I'd bump that up to 20 before a loss. Unless they can dominate another phase of the game, ala killing Philly on the boards.