PDA

View Full Version : OT - Williams Acquitted on Manslaughter Charge

kerosene
04-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Williams Acquitted on Manslaughter Charge

20 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By JEFFREY GOLD, Associated Press Writer

SOMERVILLE, N.J. - Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of aggravated manslaughter, the most serious charge against him, but was convicted of trying to conceal the shooting death of a limousine driver at Williams' mansion.

Williams, 36, was convicted on four of the six lesser charges, related to tampering with evidence in the death of Costas "Gus" Christofi, 55, who was killed by a shotgun blast as Williams handled the weapon. Collectively, the charges carry a maximum penalty of 13 years in prison.

But Williams would probably receive a sentence of less than five years, the maximum for the most serious count. No date was set for sentencing.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20040430/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bkn_williams_trial_32

Cactus Jax
04-30-2004, 05:53 PM
My guess is he'll get a year or less in prison, and have to do a bunch of community service. :mad:

Yeah it might've been an accident but you don't point guns at people, even my dad, who's a huge gun purchaser, knows that.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bball
04-30-2004, 07:01 PM
My guess is he'll get a year or less in prison, and have to do a bunch of community service. :mad:

Yeah it might've been an accident but you don't point guns at people, even my dad, who's a huge gun purchaser, knows that.

But exactly what good would long jail time do for what was (I assume) a tragic accident? The dead man will still be dead. J. Williams likely feels very badly for what happened already and the likelihood of him making the same mistake is miniscule. All a long jail sentence would do is help to ruin another life. That and cost the taxpayers money. It's not like he needs to be 'rehabilitated'. Just the tragedy alone has reshaped his life. I'm not for piling on.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished but perhaps the focus should be on preventing this from happening again with others... not some kind of twisted payback. That community service might include some gun safety appearances. Lots of them.

Accidents happen. Negligence is negligence. Still, I'm not sure where jail time (especially long jail time) accomplishes anything in a case like this.

-Bball

Hicks
04-30-2004, 07:03 PM

But exactly what good would long jail time do for what was (I assume) a tragic accident? The dead man will still be dead. J. Williams likely feels very badly for what happened already and the likelihood of him making the same mistake is miniscule. All a long jail sentence would do is help to ruin another life. That and cost the taxpayers money. It's not like he needs to be 'rehabilitated'. Just the tragedy alone has reshaped his life. I'm not for piling on.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished but perhaps the focus should be on preventing this from happening again with others... not some kind of twisted payback. That community service might include some gun safety appearances. Lots of them.

Accidents happen. Negligence is negligence. Still, I'm not sure where jail time (especially long jail time) accomplishes anything in a case like this.

-Bball

Word.

Kstat
04-30-2004, 07:04 PM
He was so "sorry" that he tried to make it look liek a suicide to cover his own ***.

He wasn't sorry that his limo driver was dead, he was sorry that he almost went to jail.

Hicks
04-30-2004, 07:05 PM
He was so "sorry" that he tried to make it look liek a suicide to cover his own ***.

He wasn't sorry that his limo driver was dead, he was sorry that he almost went to jail.

Well in that case, give him some time in jail.

Bball
04-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Actually, it looks like he will get jail time for those offenses. But the bigger picture (as I see it) is that when we criminalize and attempt to punish accidents as badly (or nearly so) as crimes with intent then it forces people to do things like try and coverup what happened. Especially when panic is included in the picture.

Again, I'm not arguing he wasn't negligent, but I would argue negligence probably is better served fought out in civil court and not criminal court in many cases.

Money is one thing but losing years of your life is another. To try and coverup something like this over money I don't condone. To try and coverup something like this when you fear that your own freedom could easily be taken away I understand.

-Bball

ABADays
04-30-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this, especially in view of his apparent disregard for the safe use of firearms in the past. To me it certainly minimizes the loss.

Arcadian
04-30-2004, 07:57 PM
If there wasn't a cover up there wouldn't have been a trail. He doesn't have much sympathy from me.

Grant
04-30-2004, 08:02 PM
The other thing is that he will probably go back to trial for the count that the jury was split on - reckless manslaughter. That carries a penalty of up to 10 years (I think) So he could end up with more jail time.

I think he will end up doing some jail time, and he should. What's fair? Who knows? Some people are going to think that an athlete got off easy, and some are going to think its not enough. To me 5 - 7 years is about right. It was a tragic accident but he did a lot wrong too (drinking, guns, and coverups)

Cactus Jax
04-30-2004, 08:42 PM
If there wasn't a cover up there wouldn't have been a trail. He doesn't have much sympathy from me.

Yes it was an accident that the gun fired, but the common rule of guns is that you DON'T point a loaded gun at somebody. Plus the fact that he messed with all the evidence to save his own ***, should equal jail time in my opinion.

The firing was an accident but there were a series of events both before and after the shooting, that were illegal and should be punished as such.

I'm sure his family feels SO much better that it really was an accident :unimpressed:

And jail time lets people know to take care around guns, and also to NOT mess with anything around a crime scene, as athletes are looked at more than anybody else, and a light sentence gives a bad message to the general public

Shade
04-30-2004, 08:47 PM
He needs to be punished for negligently taking a life, whether an accident or not. If it were a friend of mine that he had killed, I'd want nothing less than for him to suffer for 2-3 years in jail. He owes a debt to the man's family -- it's time to pay up.

Bball
04-30-2004, 09:19 PM
He needs to be punished for negligently taking a life, whether an accident or not. If it were a friend of mine that he had killed, I'd want nothing less than for him to suffer for 2-3 years in jail. He owes a debt to the man's family -- it's time to pay up.

Would the family be better served by him sitting in prison for long enough that his life unravels or would they be 'paid up' by less jail time and instead by Williams paying real money to the family plus using his fame and notoriety to speak to gun safety and the tragedies that can occur when not treated responsibly? IOW, trying to make some good from a bad situation?

-Bball

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Really it's sad because no one is a winner is this situation , you'll have people that will say 5 years isnt enough and then you'll have people who say it's too much.

Just like the Bobe Bryant Case , there are no winners and if Kobe is found innocent he will always be guilty and that girl has had her life ruined as well.

Stryder
04-30-2004, 10:01 PM
It was an accidental shooting. Jayson Williams did some things that were negligent to lead to the shooting. He should pay the price for that....

Jayson Williams tried to cover up the shooting by staging it as a suicide. He needs to pay the price for that...

Five to ten years is a good price to pay. He deserves to sit in jail for that time.

The intellect of some people surprises me sometime. Some people think they can fool science (a.k.a. the staging of a suicide)...

Not going to happen....

Shade
04-30-2004, 10:21 PM

Would the family be better served by him sitting in prison for long enough that his life unravels or would they be 'paid up' by less jail time and instead by Williams paying real money to the family plus using his fame and notoriety to speak to gun safety and the tragedies that can occur when not treated responsibly? IOW, trying to make some good from a bad situation?

-Bball

BOTH.

Shade
04-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Really it's sad because no one is a winner is this situation , you'll have people that will say 5 years isnt enough and then you'll have people who say it's too much.

Just like the Bobe Bryant Case...

:laugh:

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 10:44 PM

What's so funny :confused:

Shade
04-30-2004, 10:45 PM

Uh-huh...Bobe...uh-huh... :P

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 10:48 PM

Glad you find humor in a tragic case for both parties ..what brillance you continue to display :rolleyes:

Shade
04-30-2004, 10:52 PM

Glad you find humor in a tragic case for both parties ..what brillance you continue to display :rolleyes:

I think I already made my comment on the situation above.

Get a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Shade
04-30-2004, 11:53 PM

I'm sorry. I usually agree with %99 of what you say.

This time I strongly don't.

Accidents happen, but when it's caused by lethal negligence...and then the culprit tries to cover it up??

Tried.

To.

Cover.

It up.

Screw him.

I don't give a f&8K if he got scared, or if the penalty for negilgence being as strong as actually intending to do a crime might make others try to cover it. It's simply about doing what's right. He tied up criminal resources that could have been diverted to helping someone else by manipulating evidence. A man is dead because of him.

Dead.

And he dishonored the man by trying to besmirch the man's last moments of life.

Yes, unraveling a portion of his life is the LEAST the courts can do by making his *** sit in jail for a good, long time, THEN he can get oout and do community service and pay the family restitution.

A man's life is over because of him. The least he can do is spend a chunk of his life making amends. Heavy jail time isn't a twisted payback. It's punishment that's called for. He still has a life left. THEN he can throw money at the family and make his speechs.

As someone who has to try and juggle his time in helping those who need it most, it totally galls me to see someone manipulate the system, doing further harm to those who need the criminal justice system's resources.

I couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:

kerosene
05-01-2004, 12:29 AM
Skaut H bringing it raw and uncut. I pretty much agree with all of that.

There's a reason why you don't play around with guns. Sober or drunk. That's how accidents happen. Accidents like this one. Guy made a mistake, but that mistake cost a life.

Williams likely won't go to "prison" prison anyway. He'll be okay. The chauffer isn't.

TheSauceMaster
05-01-2004, 12:38 AM
I think he will get Probation and House Arrest

Bball
05-01-2004, 02:05 AM

I'm sorry. I usually agree with %99 of what you say.

This time I strongly don't.

Accidents happen, but when it's caused by lethal negligence...and then the culprit tries to cover it up??

Tried.

To.

Cover.

It up.

Screw him.

I don't give a f&8K if he got scared, or if the penalty for negilgence being as strong as actually intending to do a crime might make others try to cover it. It's simply about doing what's right. He tied up criminal resources that could have been diverted to helping someone else by manipulating evidence. A man is dead because of him.

Dead.

And he dishonored the man by trying to besmirch the man's last moments of life.

Yes, unraveling a portion of his life is the LEAST the courts can do by making his *** sit in jail for a good, long time, THEN he can get oout and do community service and pay the family restitution.

A man's life is over because of him. The least he can do is spend a chunk of his life making amends. Heavy jail time isn't a twisted payback. It's punishment that's called for. He still has a life left. THEN he can throw money at the family and make his speechs.

As someone who has to try and juggle his time in helping those who need it most, it totally galls me to see someone manipulate the system, doing further harm to those who need the criminal justice system's resources.

We actually agree on this more than you probably think..... I'm especially not thrilled with the coverup.

But somebody's got to play Devil's advocate....

-Bball