PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Game of The Regular Season

Crusher
04-30-2004, 10:11 AM
I remembwer Carlisle mentioning at All-Star Break that the 1st game of the season (at Detroit) had really helped them get off to the great start.

No that it matters that much -- but we are stuck in an extensive layover --, but I still can't think of a bigger game during the regular season.

The question is: how would the season have turned out if they didn't get that first win. Remember also that the Pacers had a very poor exhibition season. I think that game really was important; quickly showing the team that they can win, and beat a good team. Plus they beat Detroit.

The second most important game would likely be a few games ... I remember a short losing streak after the all-star break. Needless to say, they quickly go the thing going again (hard to call 2 loses a losing streak, but that was the good fortune of this season).

I wanted to ask Carlisle this question last night, but it wasn't a good time to call in. A side note: it is very easy to get on that show, as is evidence by the often routine questions asked.

Indyfan
04-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Is Rick's show still on? I thought it ended when the regular season ended. I always liked listening, but I can only get it online and I haven't checked for it lately.

I agree that the Detroit game was a big win to get the season going, but I also think the win over Memphis at Christmas time was important. It was after the NJ game where Ron got benched and Rick was ejected. The team had playing 500 ball for most of December, win one, lose one, and just wasn't playing up to their ability everynight. That bit of trouble really turned things around and they started to have 5 or 6 game win streaks for the rest of the season.

Another big streak was the sweep out west. This team really did a lot this year and having also swept Boston out of the first round we can say this is a successful season. Here's hoping we can get 12 more wins!!

:gopacers:

Hicks
04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Biggest off the top of my head are @ Det beginning of the year, and the West Coast sweep late.

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Yeah Rick's Show is still on , Thursday Nights at 6pm :D

Unclebuck
04-30-2004, 11:09 AM
%^$#@*, I thought the show was over for the year. I am mad I missed them

sweabs
04-30-2004, 11:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040408.html

MagicRat
04-30-2004, 11:48 AM

A couple of weeks ago I tuned in to WIBC at the appropriate time and it wasn't on, so I assumed it was over for the year, too........

Unclebuck
04-30-2004, 12:06 PM

A couple of weeks ago I tuned in to WIBC at the appropriate time and it wasn't on, so I assumed it was over for the year, too........

Exactly, I tuned in on the Thursday right befoe the playoff started and it was not one so I figured they bagged it for the playoffs.

On the question as to the most important game of the season, yes I would say that if were making a top 5 list of most important games, I would include game 1 on that list.

Some other important games off the top of my head.

The December home game with the Pistons. Pacers were down by I think 10 point early in the 4th and came back to win, very similar to game 2 of the playoffs.

Game at San Antonio in mid January. Yes I know the pacers lost, and yes they made two bad decisions at the end of regulation and at the end of OT. Not covering the inbounder, and not calling timeout on the rebound.

The most important stretch of the season was in mid January. When they played at Dallas, S.A, NJ, home to Pistons and a few other tough games

Kegboy
04-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I agree with UB on @SA. Sure we lost, but that's when it dawned on me, "Holy *****, we can actually beat these guys." And we did a week later. That's when I started to really believe we could win the title.

ChicagoJ
04-30-2004, 05:07 PM
I agree with UB on @SA. Sure we lost, but that's when it dawned on me, "Holy *****, we can actually beat these guys." And we did a week later. That's when I started to really believe we could win the title.

Agreed. That was one of the best regular season games I've seen in a long, long time.

MagicRat
04-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Where's Ragnar to say, "Whatever game it was that Kenny got hurt, leading to Jamaal's re-instatement as the starting PG...."?

Unclebuck
04-30-2004, 05:26 PM

Agreed. That was one of the best regular season games I've seen in a long, long time.

That game was played at such a high level, it was worthy of a NBA Finals game, a game 5 or 6