PDA

View Full Version : Next 2 Years At the Shooting Guard spot!?

IndianaMan
04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
WHO SHOULD WE LOOK TO GET TO REPLACE REGGIE!!!!????

Southside_Pacer
04-29-2004, 10:35 PM
We have the guy.....

his name is Fred Jones.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_fred_jones.jpg

Kegboy
04-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey, where's Jesus Shuttlesworth!!!!

Shade
04-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Out of those options, I'd want TMac. Kobe's really good too, but I can't stand the smirk-machine adulterer.

Anthem
04-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Why won't it let me vote for Ray Allen?

Will Galen
04-30-2004, 01:43 AM
WHO SHOULD WE LOOK TO GET TO REPLACE REGGIE!!!!????

I voted for Fred Jones. My 2ed option would be Pierce, he always plays 80 plus games a year. Vince and TMac are hurt to much for the money they command. I don't want Kobe or AI for any reason because I just don't like them as people.

Suaveness
04-30-2004, 01:49 AM
FRED JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

kerosene
04-30-2004, 01:57 AM

Hangin' out with Priest Lauderdale.

Kegboy
04-30-2004, 02:08 AM

Hangin' out with Priest Lauderdale.

:laugh:

tora tora
04-30-2004, 02:57 AM
You guys don't want an all star shooting guard? That's crazy, I'd like to see Tracy Mcgrady on the team.

SkipperZ
04-30-2004, 03:03 AM
We should trade up for JR Smith....

Our pick and next years first rounder plus Pollard to Utah for the number 14 should do it... i cant see him getting picked in the lottery

Reggie4Three
04-30-2004, 03:58 AM
As long as we're throwing the salary cap out the window and just going on who we want, I've always been a fan of Doug Christie and think he would work well. He doesn't command shots, but he can knock them down when he get them. He'll also be a nice stopper to go with Artest.

In saying that, I want Reggie to stay as long as he wants to and I don't want to rule Fred Jones out of the equation.

Chambizzle
04-30-2004, 04:23 AM
I say keep Fred Jones as the aire to the throne. He definately will have what it takes by the time he's able to start. I see him in the future being a very aggressive smash mouth player... which is good :)

Mourning
04-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Ok, I admit it .... :uhoh: I'm the loner that voted for Kobe :spitout: . Can't believe I just did it, I hate the Lakers and Shaq and Kobe in particular, I can't deny though that I think Kobe IS the best SG in the league right now, together with T-Mac (who is my 2nd choice now).

If the Pacers don't get Bryant I hope he gets his *** convicted though :bowdown: :D :D .

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ChicagoJ
04-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Nowhere to vote for none of the above?

Manu,
Ray,
Cat Mobley,
a draft pick

would all be better fits for the Pacers than most of those ballhogs. I just don't see Freddy as a starter next year, I see him as the backup PG as he continues to evolve into a Sidney Moncrief or Bobby Jackson type role.

Can you see most of those guys willing to be the third option behind JO and Ron? I can't.

Mourning
04-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Good point! I doubt Cat would be such a great choice than though.

Voshon Leonard not more the sort of player we should be looking for than?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 10:16 AM
yeah I agree Jay , I don't see Freddie as a starter ethier and I think Freddie is better when he comes off the bench. I think it all really hinges on what Reggie decide's for next year and I wouldn't mind Reggie staying but I think he could play limited mins and give Freddie some more mins off the bench and that gives freddie another year to sharpen his skills , I think Freddie is still alittle raw and rough around the edges to be a Starter..

BillS
04-30-2004, 10:32 AM
If we were talking about PG, I would agree, but I would say without a trade of some kind that there isn't anyone I'd rather see at 2 if Reggie isn't here (and even then, as I think if Uncle Reggie sticks around he should probably come off the bench).

I have considered the Artest-at-2 option and I think it waters down an already iffy starting perimeter offense (much as it might be nice to have Al starting at 3).

I also am not sure there's a starting 2 out there that we can get within Bird & Walsh's conservative habits.

Will Galen
04-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Come on guys! :(

People keep saying that Reggie should come off the bench whereas the coachs ALL keep starting Reggie. And they have explained over and over why they do it.

I never played organized basketball, so I mostly have to go on the opinions of others but I respect the Pacers coachs opinions much more than fans no matter how much basketball the fans have played and coached.

My personal opinion which isn't worth much since I haven't played organized basketball is Reggie will continue to start. (unless we trade for a star shooting guard) Fred will just get more and more of Reggie's minutes.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a nice way is fans that advocate Reggie coming off the bench have no more basketball smarts than I do.

ABADays
04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
I voted for Jones. He would bring something to the position we haven't had in years. I think he would feel comfortable in the role as well.

Tim
04-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Come on guys! :(

People keep saying that Reggie should come off the bench whereas the coachs ALL keep starting Reggie. And they have explained over and over why they do it.

I never played organized basketball, so I mostly have to go on the opinions of others but I respect the Pacers coachs opinions much more than fans no matter how much basketball the fans have played and coached.

My personal opinion which isn't worth much since I haven't played organized basketball is Reggie will continue to start. (unless we trade for a star shooting guard) Fred will just get more and more of Reggie's minutes.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a nice way is fans that advocate Reggie coming off the bench have no more basketball smarts than I do.

I think Reggie is starting out of the respect for Reg. At some point the team is going to have to address the fact that our backcourt gets outscored badly by the opposing backcourt.
Other teams are starting to show they are quite comfortable with Reggie scoring less than 10 a game, and not being that huge game deciding threat he was a few years ago.

We already have a very workable answer to this, we only need accept it.
We know this works, slide Ron and start Al at 3.

It is true that Reggie spreads the court, it is also true that Ron can hit the three. Ron is a much, much more serious threat at the two than Reggie.

There is not one SG in the league that wants to guard Ron for 48 minutes, they can't take that kind of beating. The only problem I see here is Ron having to guard the SGs who use screens well, but Ron would still do a better job at that then Reggie.

We have had a lot of success with Ron and Al in the line up, for the times where we need perimeter shooting Reg can be brought in, but between Ron and Al, that is great defense plus a combined 30 a game, not to mention the match problems in our favor.

PaceBalls
04-30-2004, 08:06 PM
y'all make it sound like Reggie hurts the team starting. That is crazy. So what if the other teams backcourt outscores Reggie and Tins. Reggie does so many other things, like perfect post entry passes, great transition D, clutch shots when needed. His smarts and steady play more than make up for his scoring.

I have no doubt that Reggie could score 20-30 every night if he wanted to jack up 20+ shots a game, but the pacers would probably lose more games than they would with Reggie playing his role. Yes Reggie is a Role Player.

Scoring is just one aspect of basketball, and Reggie is a complete player in all those other aspects. Not too many other players are better at Reggies role. I hope Reggie keeps playing and starting for 5 more years.

kerosene
04-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Ah man, I liked Moncrief. Skaut H is gonna get involved here if he reads this (IIRC).

TheSauceMaster
04-30-2004, 11:45 PM
I am soo tempted to call Rick next week on his show and ask him what he thinks about ronnie being a possiable SG :laugh:

Will Galen
05-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Reggie on the Bench? Not while Carlisleís Coach

Indianapolis, March 11, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASK THE COACH
with Rick Carlisle
To ask a question of coach Carlisle, submit it along with your full name and place of residence to askthecoach@pacers.com. Not every question will be answered, but all will be considered, and are subject to editing.

Q. Is Reggie Miller going to continue to start at shooting guard until he retires or will Fred Jones or someone replace him (as) starter and (Reggie) come off the bench? (From Alicia in Kokomo, IN)

A. I see Reggie as a starter. As long as Iím here coaching and heís here playing, my feeling is he will be the starting shooting guard. I believe that Reggie will continue to play as long as he can play at a high level. Heís playing at a high level now. When he gets to the point where he doesnít feel like he can play at that level, thatís probably when heíll decide to call it quits. But I see him as a starter this year, and I see him as a starter for us next year.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_carlisle_march04.html

Suaveness
05-01-2004, 12:45 AM
I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

PaceBalls
05-01-2004, 12:47 AM
I never thought the day would come when Reggie Miller would be an underated player, by Pacer fans even. I'm glad Will posted that so we can all nip that in the bud right now.

Here's to 5 more years with Reggie at starting SG, cheers!

TheSauceMaster
05-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Well we really won't know how reggie feels about retirement til after the pacers finish off this season..right now I see it as 50/50 if he returns next year or decides to hang the shoes up.

beast23
05-01-2004, 01:35 AM
At times we've gotten excellent post play from JO, Al and Artest.

Most teams attempt to establish the post early in the game, then open things up from there. Sounds pretty simple, and it has worked for the Pacers throughout the season.

But as the game evolves it becomes more and more difficult for any team to deliver the ball into the post if a decent percentage of shots are not being made from the perimeter. Plain and simple, if you aren't hitting from the outside, your big horses are going to have a difficult time working the inside because the opponent is going to sag into the middle to take away the inside game too.

Some games Ron is able to hit a couple of shots from the perimeter in Q1, even when Reggie is still on the floor. And that works to our advantage because, as TIM states above, we then have very good success with the combination of Ron at 2 and Al at 3 when Reggie goes to the bench.

But that's about as far as I agree with TIM, because if Ron hasn't hit a couple of shots already from the perimeter, then misses his first couple he takes after Reggie goes to the bench and Al comes in at 3, then we run into problems. The opponent starts taking the post away form us until either someone starts hitting from the outside or until Ron begins working his man into the lane.

I mean really, how many times have you seen the Pacers jump out ot a big lead in the first quarter, only to give most of it back by the middle of the second quarter?

Just why do you think that is? Did it ever occur to you that it direcly results from the fact that the opponent oftentimes is suddenly able to defend the post better and remove most of our ability to score in the paint?

Now why do you suppose that happens? It;s not because of screwy substitution patterns like last year because you see, Isiah is gone.

So why does it happen? It happens for one of two reasons, or a combination of both. Either the opponent doesn't respect the perimeter shooters that we have in the game, or the perimter shooters that we have in the game aren't shooting and making any perimeter shots.

And even now, whether Reggie is 25 or almost 39, our opponents respect the perimeter shooting ability of the JO-Foster-Ron-Tinsley-Reggie lineup more than they do the JO-Foster-Al-Tinsley-Ron lineup.

To me, that point was validated by our more often losing some or all of our lead in late Q1 and starting Q2 rather than building a larger lead.

As we move into next season, Reggie may retire. But if he is still here, and we have not acquired another guard, he will most certainly start because his presence at SG helps establish our post game better than any other player that we can play at the position.

And as far as I'm concerned, it is very important that Reggie continue to play at least 8 minutes every game. And that would be the FIRST EIGHT MINUTES of every game.