PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for you playoff schedule prognosticators.....

MagicRat
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Suppose some random anonymous person was to leave on a family vacation on the morning of May 15 and return late in the evening on May 22.

How many Pacers' home games will said random anonymous person be unable to attend?

Hicks
04-29-2004, 02:26 PM
I thought I got rid of all those cameras in my apartment.

You got all of those cameras, just none of my cameras. :devil:

Jay, I'd guess May 15-22 risks missing part of the ECF. Yikes.

Unclebuck
04-29-2004, 02:28 PM
First I need to say, very poor planning. You should know not to make any plans from April 17th through June 20th. It is the PLAYOFFS.

Ok, what is done is done.

if there is a game 7 of Pacers v heat/Hornets series you will miss that for sure. if the pacers end that series befoe it goes 7 games, then you likely will miss games 1 and 2 of the ECF. Maybe only game 1.

MagicRat
04-29-2004, 02:55 PM
First I need to say, very poor planning. You should know not to make any plans from April 17th through June 20th. It is the PLAYOFFS.

Ok, what is done is done.

if there is a game 7 of Pacers v heat/Hornets series you will miss that for sure. if the pacers end that series befoe it goes 7 games, then you likely will miss games 1 and 2 of the ECF. Maybe only game 1.

3 things...

1. Nobody said the random, anonymous person was me...... :cry:
2. Said random anonymous person has little say in the travel plans....
3. Jay is not going on vacation with said random anonymous person.....

Don't ask about said random anonymous person's whereabouts during last year's playoffs (although that really saved said random anonymous person lots of heartache) or <gasp> the 2000 NBA Finals......

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
D@mn! I had just started packing when Hicks included me. Now I guess I'm back to Plan A. :D

As for your other inexcusable absences: I moved to Chicago during the week of the NBA Finals in 2000, and I still found a way to be at games #3 and #5. But I don't recommend driving a moving van at the same time that 'your' team is hosting the Lakers in Game #4. Most stressful thing I ever did - I still don't know how all my possessions made it to Chicago that night.

You've got to get the barefoot girl tuned into this annual thing called the NBA playoffs. Or else I'd make her go to Flamingo Lane by herself.

Kegboy
04-29-2004, 03:17 PM
D@mn! I had just started packing when Hicks included me. Now I guess I'm back to Plan A. :D

As for your other inexcusable absences: I moved to Chicago during the week of the NBA Finals in 2000, and I still found a way to be at games #3 and #5. But I don't recommend driving a moving van at the same time that 'your' team is hosting the Lakers in Game #4. Most stressful thing I ever did - I still don't know how all my possessions made it to Chicago that night.

You've got to get the barefoot girl tuned into this annual thing called the NBA playoffs. Or else I'd make her go to Flamingo Lane by herself.

Damn, sucks to miss Game 4. Best game I've ever seen in person. But hey, at least you got to see Bruce Hornsby, and the blowout that was Game 5.

Hicks
04-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't know why I said Jay. :blush:

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 03:25 PM

Damn, sucks to miss Game 4. Best game I've ever seen in person. But hey, at least you got to see Bruce Hornsby, and the blowout that was Game 5.

I got to Merriville, and WIBC went out as Sam Perkins hit the three-pointer to send it into overtime. No Chicago radio station carried the game, and I couldn't find out who won until I ran and grabbed a newspaper the next morning. :neutral:

Slick Pinkham
04-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Saturday April 21, 2001.

Me, my wife, and kids fly into St. Martin in the Caribbean, celebrating 10 years of marriage.

We land, I hurry everyone up, we rent a car, I drive like a bat-outta-hell to the hotel, everyone wondering why I'm in such a hurry.

Check in, get to the room, turn on the TV.

Cable?
Yes!

American networks?
Yes!

Pacers-Sixers game 1?
Yes!

In time for tipoff?
Yes!

The family hits the beach, I watch Reggie go to work.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/04/21/pacers_sixers_ap/

I managed to catch the other games too, but that was the highlight and one of my clearest memories-- how worried I was that I wouldn't even SEE the games at all.

MagicRat
04-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Does it make someone a bad fan if they were unable to see or hear any of the 2000 Finals and have never seen any of those games other than highlights?

I'm just asking for a friend.......

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Does it make someone a bad fan if they were unable to see or hear any of the 2000 Finals and have never seen any of those games other than highlights?

I'd refuse to talk to "your friend." :devil:

Bball
04-29-2004, 06:25 PM

What kind of 'friend' would do that? What kind of company do you keep? Thank God it isn't you we are talking about.

-Bball :D

Shade
04-29-2004, 06:28 PM

Yes. :mad: :P

Kegboy
04-29-2004, 10:56 PM

Ouch. You have to see Game 4. Even with the refs steadfastly refusing to foul out Shaq for the entire 4th quarter (while they foul out Pacers right and left, I might add), and Travis getting thrown down like a rag doll, and Kobe magically transforming into MJ in overtime, it's still a tremendous game.

Games 1 and 2 are pretty painful. Reggie just can't buy a shot to save his life, and Shaq is a kid in a candy store. That's my lasting image of Dale, which is probably why I've never missed him all that much. If you're an Austin fan, though, these two games were/are/and always shall be the zenith of his career. Game 3 was great fun, even though everyone writes it off cause Kobe was hurt. (Was it Game 3 or 4 where Jax hit that halfcourt 3?) Game 5 was wonderfully cathartic, just demolishing LA. And Game 6 was another great game that we just couldn't pull out in the end.

Hicks
04-29-2004, 11:20 PM
(Was it Game 3 or 4 where Jax hit that halfcourt 3?)

Game 6. Followed shortly by Costas' comment of "If you're the sort who believes in omens, mark that one down."

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 11:28 PM

Ouch. You have to see Game 4. Even with the refs steadfastly refusing to foul out Shaq for the entire 4th quarter (while they foul out Pacers right and left, I might add), and Travis getting thrown down like a rag doll, and Kobe magically transforming into MJ in overtime, it's still a tremendous game.

Games 1 and 2 are pretty painful. Reggie just can't buy a shot to save his life, and Shaq is a kid in a candy store. That's my lasting image of Dale, which is probably why I've never missed him all that much. If you're an Austin fan, though, these two games were/are/and always shall be the zenith of his career. Game 3 was great fun, even though everyone writes it off cause Kobe was hurt. (Was it Game 3 or 4 where Jax hit that halfcourt 3?) Game 5 was wonderfully cathartic, just demolishing LA. And Game 6 was another great game that we just couldn't pull out in the end.

You left out Hack-a-Shaq. I almost threw a brick through the television.

Hicks
04-30-2004, 12:02 AM

Remind me the problem with fouling a 50% FT shooter? I remember it was a bit contraversial, but I don't remember WHY it was.

Kegboy
04-30-2004, 12:31 AM

Remind me the problem with fouling a 50% FT shooter? I remember it was a bit contraversial, but I don't remember WHY it was.

The problem is it didn't work at all. I didn't have as much a problem with that as I had with Larry refusing to double-team the Diesel.

As for Jax's 3, I could of sworn that was at Conseco, but yeah, you're right. Must be confusing it with another shot.

MagicRat
04-30-2004, 12:35 AM
What the heck are you guys talking about????:whoknows:

Kegboy
04-30-2004, 12:43 AM

Just reminiscing, that's all.

Bird refused to double Shaq the first couple games. That, combined with you could foul off the ball back then without getting in trouble meant we fouled him down the stretch repeatedly in both games. He shot them fairly well, IIRC, and put up ~40 in both games. Dale just couldn't for the life of him come close to guarding him.

As for Jax, at the end of the first quarter in the final game, he hit a 3 from half-to-three-quarters court to beat the buzzer. Nice way to close out his Pacers career, if you don't count God calling him and telling him to go to Toronto. :crazy:

MagicRat
04-30-2004, 12:52 AM

Just reminiscing, that's all.

Bird refused to double Shaq the first couple games. That, combined with you could foul off the ball back then without getting in trouble meant we fouled him down the stretch repeatedly in both games. He shot them fairly well, IIRC, and put up ~40 in both games. Dale just couldn't for the life of him come close to guarding him.

As for Jax, at the end of the first quarter in the final game, he hit a 3 from half-to-three-quarters court to beat the buzzer. Nice way to close out his Pacers career, if you don't count God calling him and telling him to go to Toronto. :crazy:

What.....huh...Uh, oh yeah, yeah. I remember all of that. :blush: It's too bad my friend missed it all.......... :shakehead:

The poor guy even had tickets.......

Kegboy
04-30-2004, 01:13 AM
The poor guy even had tickets.......

:duel: :maniac:

ChicagoJ
04-30-2004, 09:47 AM

My beef with that strategy was that it was soooo out of character for Bird and Harter to use a gimmick defense.

And it felt to me like we switched to Hack-a-Shaq on a whim during game #2, and I didn't think our players were prepared for it.

Shaq did hit half of his free-throws during that stretch, so we were holding the Lakers to one point per possession. But we were so out-of-rhythym that our offense went to hell in a handbasket and we only scored every other or every third possession. By the end of several minutes of Hack-a-Shaq, the Lakers lead had increased by a couple points.

If you're gonna do it, you have to score every possession and rebound every missed FT. Also, don't waste your four "free" fouls - (before the "Penalty") by getting your centers into foul trouble before Hack-a-Shaq even begins.

Slick Pinkham
04-30-2004, 11:48 AM

Every coach in this league would love to average a point a posession. That's like shooting 50% from the field with no turnovers. Stopping the clock to get even more possessions, getting lots of fouls on the opposition, and getting in the bonus in case other good shooters get fouled are added bonuses.

Hack-a-Shaq won't work over a stretch of more than a few possessions if he hits 50%. If he has an really awful 3-for-20 night, sure it can help you, or if you are down a few points in the last minute and desperate, you may get lucky.

ChicagoJ
04-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Did your, uh, friend, at least get to go someplace nice?

(Not that that's any consolation.)

MagicRat
04-30-2004, 12:38 PM

Yeah, it was an ubelievable trip. Alaskan cruise. Actually flew out the day of game 1 and got the score from a cabbie in Anchorage.

I've seen pictures. Glaciers, bears, whales and whatnot......

ChicagoJ
04-30-2004, 12:42 PM

Yeah, it was an ubelievable trip. Alaskan cruise. Actually flew out the day of game 1 and got the score from a cabbie in Anchorage.

Fine. But you should probably instruct your friend's wife that Alaska was still there in July, when the playoffs were over.

:D :devil:

Suaveness
04-30-2004, 12:53 PM

Fine. But you should probably instruct your friend's wife that Alaska was still there in July, when the playoffs were over.

:D :devil:

:laugh: