PDA

View Full Version : Popovich says "He’s [Carlisle] a friend. It’s no big deal."

Shade
04-28-2004, 09:51 PM
http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8A79A5D2-1BDB-4925-873F-70520F7A4733

Bowen vs. Artest: The Battle of Words Continues
LAST UPDATE: 4/28/2004 7:58:42 PM
Posted By: CyberBob
Watch this story...

“He’s a friend. It’s no big deal,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich after practice Wednesday.

But it is a big deal now, all because of a few comments on Ticket 760 Sports. It's everywhere - from the USA Today to the Jim Rome Show – everybody is talking about the feud between Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and the Pacers.

But Pop says everyone needs to chill.

“Have a sense of humor,” said the Spurs coach. “People throw out these bogus, unsubstantiated stats – and so you give them a little static for it. It’s a joke! It’s funny!”

It wasn't funny to Ron Artest, who challenged Bruce Bowen to a game of one-on-one for the trophy. Of course – that doesn’t make any sense. But what else would you expect from Artest?

Bruce didn’t seem to think it made any sense either. So has he ever been challenged like that in the past?

“Not for a Defensive Player of the Year Award,” said Bowen with a chuckle. “So, no – I haven’t been challenged like that before. But hey – you know, there’s nothing new under the sun.”

So the game won't happen, but if it did, who would win?

“Neither one of them would probably score. They’d probably beat the hell out of each other,” Pop said. Once the laughing died down he went on to say, “They’d both be suspended for the next game.”

“That’s the thing – who would referee that game?” asked Bowen. “I think we’d both foul out.”

Artest wasn’t laughing.

“I don’t think Kobe respects Bruce Bowen’s defense,” said Artest. Why did he bring Kobe into this? Who knows?

Artest had more to say, “I try not to guard Bruce Bowen. He’s not going to take me off the dribble or anything like that. I think Johnathon Bender is more talented than Bruce Bowen. Al Harrington is more talented than Bruce Bowen offensively. Freddy Jones is probably a bit more talented than Bruce Bowen offensively. And they can guard just as well as Bruce Bowen.”

It all started with Coach Pop challenging the Pacers campaign for Ron Artest as Defensive Player of the Year. Pop criticized Indy coach Rick Carlisle, his "bogus stats" to justify the campaign and Ron Artest.

“What a bunch of baloney!” said Coach Pop on Ticket 760 Sports Radio. “Totally unsubstantiated stats put out by Indiana and the media bought it. And then the NBA printed those stats. I am amazed by that.”

Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal thinks the reason for all this talking is because the Spurs are scared of Indiana.

“I think it’s a fact that everybody is a little bit afraid of us,” said O’Neal. “They feel like they have to say something about us. They’re scared of what we do. We’re mentally tough and mentally focused, so we don’t really care what people think about us.”

Both Pop and Bruce dismissed all the one-on-one talk after practice Wednesday, but Bruce does appreciate the support. In fact, you can show your support for Pop and Bruce with an email to VoteBruce@SpursZONE.com. We’d also like to hear your top ten reasons why Bruce would win that game of one-on-one. We’ll forward all the email to the Pacers and the NBA.

The earliest the next Spurs series can start is Monday. The Spurs will have the home court advantage because of a better regular season record than either of their possible round two opponents: L.A. and Houston. Tickets for games one and two are already sold out, but you can still listen to every single Spurs game on Spurs Radio 1200 WOAI.

He sure sounded serious on the radio... :confused:

Shade
04-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Apparently, the sports show that features "The Pop Show" is completely classless (big shock) and even the people in San Antonio aren't fond of it.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6051

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Ummm , Yeah that was made pretty clear by rick there friends and all this has been blown outta proportion. That's why I don't understand why people on here were calling pops names and all the other non sense , I mean we had 5 threads going on it yesterday and like Rick said if pop knew that his comments were gonna be aired on the internet he probably wouldn't have said what he did.

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Apparently, the sports show that features "The Pop Show" is completely classless (big shock) and even the people in San Antonio aren't fond of it.

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6051

Don Harris rip spursreport.com LIVE on the Ticket 760. He said everyone who spends their time on those "Fan Forums" has the big "L" printed on their foreheads and they need to get out and inteact with real people.

That's why fans are pissed , it has nothing to do with the POP comments really.

Shade
04-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Ummm , Yeah that was made pretty clear by rick there friends and all this has been blown outta proportion. That's why I don't understand why people on here were calling pops names and all the other non sense , I mean we had 5 threads going on it yesterday and like Rick said if pop knew that his comments were gonna be aired on the internet he probably wouldn't have said what he did.

Did you listen to the intial interview with Popovich?

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 10:18 PM

Did you listen to the intial interview with Popovich?

Yes I listened to all them , pop is like that and rick has fired off a few times about things , pop and rick are 2 coaches that are honest and don't sugar coat there comments.

Southside_Pacer
04-28-2004, 10:38 PM
I highly doubt that the San Antonio Spurs are afraid of the Pacers. However, I do like the fact that JO and the team have chip on their shoulders.

They're tough, they're going to play tough, and they're not scared of anybody either. I do like this team's attitude.

kerosene
04-28-2004, 11:42 PM
I would think the Spurs are smart enough having been through this before to not focus on a team in the other conference. They've got a tough match up next round, and another the round after that. I'm sure they have their priorities in order.

beast23
04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
No big deal.

Papab!tch is just sticking up for babyb!tch, er Bowen.

But he seems to have his statistics a little skewed. In four games against LA, Kobe scored 37, 17, 21 and 28 points. In one game against the Pacers, Kobe scored 12 points.

I didn't check all games to guess who Bowen might have guarded, but did spot check a couple of other games where the matchups should have been obvious based on Papb!tch's claim that Bowen always guards and locks down the best players. McGrady 28 and 24 points in two games. Carmello 26 points.

In face-to-face with Artest, Artest outscored Bowen 21-5 in one game and both finished with less than 10 in the other game.

I think it's just sour grapes by San Antonio. Before I started reviewing games, I would have thought Bowen might have better luck in defending SGs than Artest, whereas Artest would be better defending SFs.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. In the games I checked, Artest wins hands down whether defending a SF or SG.

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
amazing how some fans still have there panties twisted did you all miss the part where pops said it was a joke and to have alittle humor ? You think if Rick actually think pops meant his comments that Rick wouldn't have fired back a pissed off response ?

Hicks
04-28-2004, 11:59 PM
amazing how some fans still have there panties twisted did you all miss the part where pops said it was a joke and to have alittle humor ?

Did you ever think you don't have to get your panties twisted every time the majority disagrees with you? You've talked down to anyone and everyone that disagrees with you lately all over this board like you're somone's boss.

You think if Rick actually think pops meant his comments that Rick wouldn't have fired back a pissed off response ?

I think Rick is classier than Pop and would not have fired back regardless of intent. And yes I think Pop was serious. Listen to the recording. If he was joking, he has a twisted sense of humor.

Southside_Pacer
04-29-2004, 12:34 AM
amazing how some fans still have there panties twisted did you all miss the part where pops said it was a joke and to have alittle humor ?

Did you ever think you don't have to get your panties twisted every time the majority disagrees with you? You've talked down to anyone and everyone that disagrees with you lately all over this board like you're somone's boss.

You think if Rick actually think pops meant his comments that Rick wouldn't have fired back a pissed off response ?

I think Rick is classier than Pop and would not have fired back regardless of intent. And yes I think Pop was serious. Listen to the recording. If he was joking, he has a twisted sense of humor.

Agreed especially with your last part Hicks. Pop brought it up, and there was no humor in the sound of his voice. He sounded pretty stern to me.

beast23
04-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Personally, I'm surprised by the comments and their source, but don't even for a second believe they were mad in jest.

Everyone at some point in time or another speaks their mind to a select audience, not intending for their words to be heard by others. But let's face it. Once you release whatever garbage you choose to spew into the atmosphere, it's too late to try and put it back into your mouth.

So you do the next best thing.... you follow up with a little damage control. Everyone knows you originally were just speaking your mind and if you're lucky, you'll be let off the hook.

In this case, the hook is still firmly lodged in Papab!tch's mouth.

I'm really quite glad about it. If the Spurs and the Pacers somehow get to the Finals, I think it works us up into a bit of a competitive edge to go along with home court advantage.

But my head is not buried in the sand.... I'm not gullible enough to believe the comments were made in jest. Anyone who accepts that is being far too gracious.

efx
04-29-2004, 01:16 AM
LOL@ Bender, Harrington and Jones being as good defenders as Bowen. Artest deserved it this year but Bruce is still one hell of a defender.

Anthem
04-29-2004, 02:58 AM
LOL@ Bender, Harrington and Jones being as good defenders as Bowen. Artest deserved it this year but Bruce is still one hell of a defender.

Jones is turning into a pretty good defender.

Bender is a good defender in the Ben Wallace school of defense. :devil:

Seriously! He blocks a lot of shots!

efx
04-29-2004, 03:06 AM
I agree but turning into a good defender is not equal to being one of the great individual defenders that Bowen is. Let's have some perspective here

Anthem
04-29-2004, 03:33 AM
I agree but turning into a good defender is not equal to being one of the great individual defenders that Bowen is. Let's have some perspective here

Oh, no doubt. Within a year or two, though, Jones could be at the Travis Best level of defense... able to lock down on small guards like AI, Starbury, Davis, etc.

The Bender comment was a pure joke... at Big Ben's expense.

naptownmenace
04-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Actually, I'm glad that people are, at the very least, talking about the Pacers and Spurs.

When both teams make it to the Finals, it will make for an interesting subplot - one that the media and NBA can hype up. At least people would be interested in watching it.

Ragnar
04-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Pacers and Spurs will not meet in the finals. There has not been two small market teams in the finals since..... well I cant think of a time. Not in my lifetime anyway. I know I know thats conspiracy talk. But hey its never happened so untill it does it will seem fishy.

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Excuses. Excuses.

If Pop didn't mean for it to get broadcast around the world, he wouldn't have said it on the radio. Does anybody believe MagicRat is the only person that's ever recorded a coach's radio show for the internet?

:rolleyes:

So Pops watches it backfire, then declares it to be a joke. Sounds like the kid who says, "I'm sorry" when he gets in trouble because he's sorry he's in trouble, not sorry about what he did. Haven't we all been there?

As I've said before, I think Popovich is a :censor: . He has had zero credibility with me since the whole Bo Hill incident. And for the way he shipped off Chuck Person and Vinny Del Negro for standing up for their coach. He might actually be a decent coach, but he got the coaching position with questionable, at best, tactics. So in my book he's a fraud. I'll say it again, I dislike him so much that I don't rank Phil Jackson at #1 for "opposing coaches I dislike."

pond scum > Popovich

Unclebuck
04-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Pacers and Spurs will not meet in the finals. There has not been two small market teams in the finals since..... well I cant think of a time. Not in my lifetime anyway. I know I know thats conspiracy talk. But hey its never happened so untill it does it will seem fishy.

Ragnar, if I truly believed the way you seem to, I could never watch another NBA game again.

One other thing, the big markets thing and its effect on TV ratings in the NBA is very overrated. If the Spurs do play the Pacers in the NBA Finals, the ratings will,be better than last year when the "New York" Nets.

if Jordan would have played for a small market team, it would not have mattered, that team still would have been a huge draw.

NBA ratings in a Finals are determined by several factors, the least of which is market size.

1990 - Pistons v Blazers. I guess Detroit is not a small market
1995 - Rockets v Magic. I guess Houston is not a small market.

but the two lowest rated finals:
1994 - Knicks v Rockets
2003 - Spurs v Nets
both involve NY teams

ChicagoJ
04-29-2004, 10:39 AM

Ragnar, if I truly believed the way you seem to, I could never watch another NBA game again.

One other thing, the big markets thing and its effect on TV ratings in the NBA is very overrated. If the Spurs do play the Pacers in the NBA Finals, the ratings will,be better than last year when the "New York" Nets.

if Jordan would have played for a small market team, it would not have mattered, that team still would have been a huge draw.

NBA ratings in a Finals are determined by several factors, the least of which is market size.

1990 - Pistons v Blazers. I guess Detroit is not a small market
1995 - Rockets v Magic. I guess Houston is not a small market.

but the two lowest rated finals:
1994 - Knicks v Rockets
2003 - Spurs v Nets
both involve NY teams

That's interesting. First, that 1994 series is the only NBA Finals series to go to a seventh game in long, long time. That, by itself, should have given it a ratings boost. Patrick vs. Hakeem. That's one of my favorites.

Seconldy, everybody I know seems to remember where they were watching the game of that series that was interrrupted by O.J.

Third, everybody I know seems to remember Starks 1-19 performance (or whatever it was, it was awful) in Game #7.

On the other hand, I don't think New Yorkers or even many of the Jersey folks consider the Nets to be thier team, so I'd call them small-market.