PDA

View Full Version : M.Wells-13 spots locked in. OG may be #14. JP, RM, JE fighting for final spot

Bball
10-21-2006, 12:35 PM
I didn't see this posted and this seems to be new info. If this is true, some are not going to be happy.

I might be one of them. There are no mentions of even the thought or possibility of any space making trades.

If Wells is accurate then Baston must already be locked in and so that debate is made moot.

Pacers notebook

Final roster battle begins in earnest
Four hopefuls to vie for two available spots after Lampley, Hunter are cut

By Mike Wells
Two down, at least two to go.

The Indiana Pacers made their first two cuts Friday, releasing forward Sean Lampley and guard Jimmie "Snap" Hunter.
That leaves the team with 17 players in camp, and it must get down to 15 by Oct. 30. Because all the remaining players have at least a partially guaranteed contract, anyone who goes would need to be either traded or cut.

"It's always tough letting guys go," coach Rick Carlisle said. "We're at a point where we need to trim (the roster) down."

With 13 roster positions set, that leaves four players -- point guard Orien Greene, center John Edwards, guard Rawle Marshall and forward Josh Powell -- fighting for two jobs.

Greene, who was claimed off waivers from Boston this summer, may have already secured one of the two despite playing only one preseason game because of a broken pinkie finger. The Pacers' best on-the-ball defender, he is expected to be out about two more weeks.

It appears the final spot will come down to Marshall and Powell, both considered throw-ins in the deal that brought Darrell Armstrong from Dallas over the summer.

Carlisle said position need will play a factor in determining the final roster spots.

"There are (three preseason) games remaining, there are practices remaining," Carlisle said after Thursday's game. "I would advise everybody that is still involved in this hunt for the one or two positions to keep playing hard in practice and keep playing hard in games."

Marshall and Powell have both made a good case.

Marshall, who has started three preseason games and can play shooting guard and small forward, is averaging 10.0 points and shooting 50 percent from the field.

Powell has scored 32 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in the past two games. He has the ability to bang in the post and consistently hit the midrange jumper.

The problem is, the two will likely have fewer chances to show what they can do. Carlisle said he plans to increase the playing time of his core players in the final three preseason games.

"It may be a situation where some of the guys that are on the bubble see spot duty and (we) see how they play in short minutes," Carlisle said. "It's a lot easier to be thrown out there to play six, seven, eight, nine minutes in a row and play well because you're in a flow and everything.
"One of the things I judge guys on the end of the bench on is how well do you perform in short minute situations. Can you go in and help the team keep the game under control without making any blatant mistakes or costing the team a lot on either end of the floor?"

Etc.
Swingman Marquis Daniels (hamstring) won't play tonight against the Minnesota Timberwolves in Moline, Ill. Forward Jermaine O'Neal (hamstring) is day-to-day. Center David Harrison didn't practice Friday because of a viral infection but he was expected to travel with the team to Illinois.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPORTS04/610210454/1088

Frank Slade
10-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Marhsall and Powell

ajbry
10-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Yeah, let's completely forget about Orien - he only played 80 games in his rookie season.

Rawle has been nice and everything, but keeping him over Orien will be a very notable mistake.

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 12:53 PM
You forgot the Url. Here it is. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPORTS04/610210454/1088

I read this this morning and figured RoboHicks would paste it. I don't see it as anything new except I think Powell has made the team.

What happens with Marshall is what will be interesting. He could be cut, push someone unexpected like Baston out of a spot, (not Powell) or get traded. Maybe for a 2nd round draft pick. Or he could force the Pacers to trade someone else.

I'm thinking a trade will happen early next week after Edwards becomes tradable. (22nd)

Bball
10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
You forgot the Url. Here it is. http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPORTS04/610210454/1088

I read this this morning and figured RoboHicks would paste it. I don't see it as anything new except I think Powell has made the team.

What happens with Marshall is what will be interesting. He could be cut, push someone unexpected like Baston out of a spot, (not Powell) or get traded. Maybe for a 2nd round draft pick. Or he could force the Pacers to trade someone else.

I'm thinking a trade will happen early next week after Edwards becomes tradable. (22nd)

All that speculation is fine but it would go against what Wells (and coach Carlisle) just spelled out for us. Baston is on the team. There's no other way to read the piece.

I'm hoping for a trade myself and I wish Wells would've thrown us a bone in mentioning that was always a possibility. Taken at it's face value tho, he's saying Baston is on the team and OG's chances look very good. So that leaves 1 spot open and Wells says that Edwards, Marshall, and Powell are fighting for it. Carlisle said 1 or 2 spots were open but he may be including OG in the battle.

So there's some new stuff there IMHO unless you don't want to take Mike Wells at face value. If nothing else, he has Baston making the team already.

-Bball

Isaac
10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh god, if we for some reason don't keep Josh Powell.....

:suicide:

MagicRat
10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
All that speculation is fine but it would go against what Wells (and coach Carlisle) just spelled out for us. Baston is on the team. There's no other way to read the piece.

On the post-game show after the Charlotte game there was an interview with Maceo. I don't remember exactly how the question was phrased, but basically he was asked how he thought he would contribute if he made the team. The first part of his response was, "Well, I'm guaranteed....." so he clearly doesn't think he's going anywhere........

aceace
10-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Does Baston have a guaranteed contract, partially guaranteed or what. Powell and Marshall it appears are keepers. Baston has looked as good as both. I hope we make a trade and givre them both a chance.

timid
10-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Sigh......guess we're stuck with Sarunas........Shoot me now......

BlueNGold
10-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh god, if we for some reason don't keep Josh Powell.....

:suicide:

Put away the gun. Powell is locked in. You should be more concerned about losing Marshall.

We will look silly if we let Marshall go, Jack is convicted , Quis keeps getting injured and White never pans out.

They must swallow their pride if necessary and if they cannot do a trade they need to cut someone with guaranteed money. They should look at it not as a mistake they made, but a better opportunity with Marshall.

Jermaniac
10-21-2006, 02:48 PM
WTF John Edwards is fighting? The guy has been hurt the whole damn preseason, how is he fighting. They better not even think about keeping him over JP or Rawle.

bulldog
10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
WTF John Edwards is fighting? The guy has been hurt the whole damn preseason, how is he fighting. They better not even think about keeping him over JP or Rawle.

We need big guys for when JO goes down.

BlueNGold
10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
The first part of his response was, "Well, I'm guaranteed....." so he clearly doesn't think he's going anywhere........

Nobody and I mean NOBODY including JO is guaranteed to finish this season as a Pacer. The only thing Baston has guaranteed is, in terms of NBA salaries, is a small amount of money for a short period of time.

Baston could definitely be cut, but it will depend on many factors.

Jermaniac
10-21-2006, 03:12 PM
We need big guys for when JO goes down.Josh Powell is midget? Step your hate up, STEP YOUR HATE UP (singing voice)

BoomBaby33
10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Powell and Marshall have earned a spot on this roster in my mind. It will be a travesty if they dont make it, AND get significant minutes. Heres hoping its Edwards and Baston. Edwards is a stiff and Baston is too old - i like his energy, but they cant let Powell or Marshall go, and Baston the odd man out in my mind. Powell has definately outplayed him, and they need Rawle's scoring and energy.

odeez
10-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I agree with Jermaniac on John EDWARDS...see ya ED! Pay him off and send him packing. OH man I want so badly for us to keep both Powell and Marshall...trade Sarunas! I guess we will have to wait and see.

CableKC
10-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Just to recap....the 1st 12 are:

1 ) JONeal
2 ) Harrington
3 ) SJax
4 ) Granger
5 ) Tinsley
6 ) Foster
7 ) Harrison
8 ) Sarunas
9 ) White
10) Shawne
11) Marquis
12) Darrell Armstrong

So...who is the 13th player? Is it Baston...since he has a 1 year contract with another as a Player option?

13) Baston

I'm gonna agree with most of you.....I would prefer Greene and Powell.

Lord Helmet
10-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't care how big Edwards is. He's worthless.

He better not make the team.

Destined4Greatness
10-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Cut Runi and Edwards.

Alpolloloco
10-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Cut Jackson or Tinsley.

Destined4Greatness
10-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Cut Jackson or Tinsley.

If you are going to be a joke account at least be funny(Ha ha), and not funny(Pathetic)

speakout4
10-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Is White better than Marshall right now? I would certainly look at White if it came down to him or Marshall.

Destined4Greatness
10-21-2006, 04:19 PM
We traded 2 draft picks for him we are not going to cut him.

SycamoreKen
10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Is White better than Marshall right now? I would certainly look at White if it came down to him or Marshall.

White can't be cut. Haven't you heard how high he jumps and how well he dunks? We have to focus on the important things here. Oh yea, and they traded to the beginning of the 2nd round to get him.

madison
10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
We don't need Edwards. He has no ability and will never play significant minutes in the NBA. He's not tradable (who would take him?). Cutting him is a no-brainer. What I find mysterious is why Daniels is viewed as a "lock". He's just a younger version of Jax. In other words, he's athletic but plays out-of-control. He's not coachable-- that's why his previous coach let him sit on the bench. I'd cut Daniels even if we only had 15 roster players. Who needs to stay are Marshal and Powell for sure, and perhaps Baston. If we want to play an uptempo style, then they should see a lot of minutes. I also wouldn't mind seeing Baston and Powell get some of the minutes that otherwise will go to the crowd that plays defense with their hands and get few rebounds. I'm talking about Harrison and even Granger. By the way, what's happened to Granger? He's not the same player we saw last season. He's timid on offense and his rebounding has just vanished.

Cherokee
10-21-2006, 04:42 PM
If I were doing it, I'd cut Edwards and either Williams or White. Edwards isn't going to help anyone, and the two rookies are not going to be real helpful anytime soon. And I have a hard time believing the Pacers are so good that they don't need all the help they can get. If they keep Powell and Marshall, that covers them in two areas: When Baston (who won't get cut because he's another of Bird's boys) picks up four fouls in the pre-game warmups, and when Jackson is behind bars, if the Michigan people do as I expect.

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 04:43 PM

I'm hoping for a trade myself and I wish Wells would've thrown us a bone in mentioning that was always a possibility. Taken at it's face value tho, he's saying Baston is on the team and OG's chances look very good. So that leaves 1 spot open and Wells says that Edwards, Marshall, and Powell are fighting for it. Carlisle said 1 or 2 spots were open but he may be including OG in the battle.

So there's some new stuff there IMHO unless you don't want to take Mike Wells at face value. If nothing else, he has Baston making the team already.

-Bball

I'm not taking Wells at face value since he also said Edwards was fighting for a spot. I think Marshall is going to get cut unless one of the things happens that I outlined in my prior post.

Jermaniac
10-21-2006, 05:27 PM
If I were doing it, I'd cut Edwards and either Williams or White. Edwards isn't going to help anyone, and the two rookies are not going to be real helpful anytime soon. And I have a hard time believing the Pacers are so good that they don't need all the help they can get. If they keep Powell and Marshall, that covers them in two areas: When Baston (who won't get cut because he's another of Bird's boys) picks up four fouls in the pre-game warmups, and when Jackson is behind bars, if the Michigan people do as I expect.You would cut a first round pick with so much potential after one preseason? God bless your poor soul. Sit on your hands son.

Naptown_Seth
10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Sure there is. Wells had EDWARDS in the mix for the final spot too.

That is patently absurb. Therefore I'm suspicious about how much he knows vs how much he is speculating.

Seriously, how exactly is Edwards going to make his case or has been making his case? By not playing? He stunk before when he was paid less, and hasn't shown a single new aspect to his game. So how's he in the mix.

I'm shocked that Baston is "obviously" on the team while either Marshall or Powell are "obviously" off the team. In fact if they want to lose my respect just keep Baston and cut Powell. Then I will feel certain that Bird is in fact clueless.

Naptown_Seth
10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Does Baston have a guaranteed contract, partially guaranteed or what. Powell and Marshall it appears are keepers. Baston has looked as good as both. I hope we make a trade and givre them both a chance.
They all do. Baston and Greene are for 2 years, the rest just this year. Baston is making a bit more than the others, though only 300K total more than Greene will the next 2.

IMO you are talking about the team losing perhaps an extra $1m if you cut Baston and kept Marshall. Compare that to losing the rights to a young player.

The team already paid around 250K just to get a TE!!! that could MAYBE get them a player. Pay the $1m to Baston next season to not be on the team for the RIGHT to keep Marshall.

rexnom
10-21-2006, 06:32 PM
This is the last time I'm going to mention this but I am officially in the "Shawne Williams pick was bad" camp. I can no longer defend it. Rajon Rondo would have been perfect for this team. He was a no brainer pick. Also, Marcus Williams, Jordan Farmar, Kyle Lowry, whoever.

Now, obviously, we couldn't have predicted this off-season but we have solid guys that could be our prospects now instead of Shawne and that upsets me. A lot. Shawne needs to become a near-all-star to justify this draft. Btw, it isn't right to crucify James White because no one good was available at his price. Shawne Williams is the one we should be going after.

Jermaniac
10-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Shawne doesnt get to play at all to prove he is worthy of the pick. The guy is 20 years old and is being asked to play 2 positions and learn Rick Carlisle's system, which is not easy to get. Not to mention that Rick hates playing rookies.

JayRedd
10-21-2006, 07:18 PM
They better cut JEd

Cherokee
10-21-2006, 09:37 PM
You would cut a first round pick with so much potential after one preseason? God bless your poor soul. Sit on your hands son.
That first-round pick does not have any more potential than Powell or Marshall, and they can deliver the goods now, boy.

Jermaniac
10-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Proving you dont know jack **** about basketball. That sucks dude, you should go download some Dick Vitale video's or something.

Cherokee
10-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Proving you dont know jack **** about basketball. That sucks dude, you should go download some Dick Vitale video's or something.

Just because I disagree with you does not mean I am incorrect. It is strictly each person's opinion. And, you don't call me names, and I shall not call you any.

Anthem
10-22-2006, 01:03 AM
I think a trade is coming.

Cherokee
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
That would make a lot of sense. But, who do you think they will trade?

Anthem
10-22-2006, 01:30 AM
No idea. But if there's any other reason to keep Edwards around, I'm going to be very upset.

Cherokee
10-22-2006, 01:34 AM
I doubt you will be the only one.

Will Galen
10-22-2006, 01:45 AM

I don't have any real idea either, but I would rule out a few players. Namely the projected starters, JO, Grange, Al, Tins, and Jax. Of course the last two would probably already be traded if we could get something good back. Anyway I don't think they will be traded at this time.

Others I don't think will be traded are Powell, Armstrong, Greene, Daniels, Williams, and White.

That leaves Edwards, Foster, Harrison, Marshall, Baston, and Saras that I think could be traded. I don't think Harrison or Foster would be traded unless it's a good deal and we get someone back that can guard the post though.

On second thought I guess I expect them to trade Marshall for a second round draft pick.

Cherokee
10-22-2006, 02:24 AM
I could see that happening, too. That and cutting Edwards would get the job done.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-22-2006, 02:41 AM
That first-round pick does not have any more potential than Powell or Marshall, and they can deliver the goods now, boy.

lol, you're hilarious

Old as Dirt
10-22-2006, 05:15 AM
I have been trying to find out. the players that are sent to the minors, do they count against the 15 or does it give 17 players? It is has been answered I have missed it

Bball
10-22-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm not taking Wells at face value since he also said Edwards was fighting for a spot. I think Marshall is going to get cut unless one of the things happens that I outlined in my prior post.

As long as he hasn't been cut then technically he's still in the running for the open spot.

-Bball

Will Galen
10-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I have been trying to find out. the players that are sent to the minors, do they count against the 15 or does it give 17 players? It is has been answered I have missed it

It's been answered, several times. The confusion has been caused by posters posting what they think the answer is instead of looking it up to be sure.

To answer your question NBA teams can have a total of 15 players on their team. Players sent down to the development league are counted among the 15.

If you want to find something out go to Links, Media, & Forums above and click on Larry Coon's CBA f.a.q.

able
10-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't have any real idea either, but I would rule out a few players. Namely the projected starters, JO, Grange, Al, Tins, and Jax. Of course the last two would probably already be traded if we could get something good back.

Why on earth would they continue to say that Tins is one of the most important players to this team (and btw you seen the last 2 games?) adn try to trade him at the same time?
Can you fathom what PG would be able to do the same he can do and be available for a trade?

Jax & Sara were most certainly (and perhaps still are) offered to anyone and his dog, but I am pretty sure that little or no attempts were made to trade Tins.

Pacesetter
10-22-2006, 09:06 AM

Rawle is probably on his way to D-League, and I hope he doesn't take that as a slap in the face. He's a terrific player.

IMO, it's Greene and Powell.

Raskolnikov
10-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Rawle is probably on his way to D-League, and I hope he doesn't take that as a slap in the face. He's a terrific player.

IMO, it's Greene and Powell.
From what I've read thus far, it looks like those two have already more or less made the roster.

I really want Rawle too though. Really.

So, reallistically seen, I'm hoping for a trade that clears up a spot.

Will Galen
10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Why on earth would they continue to say that Tins is one of the most important players to this team (and btw you seen the last 2 games?) adn try to trade him at the same time?

Can you fathom what PG would be able to do the same he can do and be available for a trade?

Jax & Sara were most certainly (and perhaps still are) offered to anyone and his dog, but I am pretty sure that little or no attempts were made to trade Tins.

As for your first it's called talking a player up. And no I haven't seen the last two games. I haven't seen any.

As for your second, no I can't fathom a point guard that has both his health problems and attitude. He's pretty much in a league of his own. (grin)

My serious answer is I don't think there's many PG's that can do what Tins can on the basketball floor. However, it's never been his ability in question, it's mainly his health, and there's a lot of players that are better in that category. And I don't think they are actively trying to trade Tins or Jax. I think they have probably exhausted those avenues already this Summer.

As for trading Tins, this just in. I heard Isiah called Donnie to ask about Jax. He needs a small forward to replace Jefferies. The deal he wanted was Jax, Tins, and Marshall, for Frances. Bird wants to give Jax, Tins, and Edwards, so there's an impasse.

On that last? I'm kidding again, I just made that up. I was thinking how we could get something good for Marshall so I was looking at workable trades. I just threw Tins in there to scare you. Tins is as good if not better than Frances all by himself. Still . . .

grace
10-22-2006, 12:27 PM

Because saying a player is a big fat waste of space tends to weaken his trade value.

Destined4Greatness
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Because saying a player is a big fat waste of space tends to weaken his trade value.

Unless you are talking to the Knicks. LOL It's just too damn easy.

able
10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
As for your first it's called talking a player up. And no I haven't seen the last two games. I haven't seen any.

As for your second, no I can't fathom a point guard that has both his health problems and attitude. He's pretty much in a league of his own. (grin)

My serious answer is I don't think there's many PG's that can do what Tins can on the basketball floor. However, it's never been his ability in question, it's mainly his health, and there's a lot of players that are better in that category. And I don't think they are actively trying to trade Tins or Jax. I think they have probably exhausted those avenues already this Summer.

As for trading Tins, this just in. I heard Isiah called Donnie to ask about Jax. He needs a small forward to replace Jefferies. The deal he wanted was Jax, Tins, and Marshall, for Frances. Bird wants to give Jax, Tins, and Edwards, so there's an impasse.

On that last? I'm kidding again, I just made that up. I was thinking how we could get something good for Marshall so I was looking at workable trades. I just threw Tins in there to scare you. Tins is as good if not better than Frances all by himself. Still . . .

hehehe the attitude is peception, the injuries are real, but I happen to think there will be a lot less this season, and what he has shown these last two games made eved Slick estatic, so let's just hope that's what we are going to get :)

Shade
10-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Orien had better wow the pants off of me, because I'm going to be pissed if/when we cut Marshall.

ajbry
10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Orien had better wow the pants off of me, because I'm going to be pissed if/when we cut Marshall.

I'm not sure what the fascination with Rawle is. He's a marginal swingman who is essentially the typical player and has a very limited skill set, compared to rotation players. He's had a nice preseason, but anyone could.

Orien, on the other hand, will become our backup PG and log plenty of significant minutes. He will produce.

Frank Slade
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM

That's my sentiment. I really like the talent Greene brings, and appreciate that he has proven last year that he is a legit NBA player.

I also understand the concern of a number of people here that want him here, for his defense at the 1 spot. In an ideal setting I would like to keep all three.

Here's my thinking though, Tinsley is the de facto starter. if and when Tinsley goes down for a stretch. I can see Armstrong serving the AJ role this year.

If Sarunas remains on this team, there will be a "push" to have him play more point this year. James White and Marquis are both thought to be able to handle the ball at times when needed, if not neccesarily in pure pg manner. I do wonder where exactly is Greene on our depth chart, that is no reflection on how talented he is, just the make up of our team.

While Greene is the more seasoned player after one year, I think Marshall may fill a few more needs, and he's not a slouch on D either.

As far as the preseason performances not meaning too much, if Rawle had a an average or bad preseason, would that have not mean too much either ?

If the PG spot was more clear cut that we needed Greene as a primary backup I would be in favor of keeping him at all costs. I just wonder how many PG types do we have to keep , for insurance on Tins ?

Now Marshall has shown himself versatile and he has 3pt range. Assuming Jax is our starting two guard, who behind Jackson can fill in the 2 this year with consistent 3pt range? As far as I know not Daniels or White?

I don't expect Rawle to be an all-star this year, I just think he's less of a specialist like Greene. Good at alot of things, instead of great with a few.

BlueNGold
10-24-2006, 11:00 PM
That's my sentiment. I really like the talent Greene brings, and appreciate that he has proven last year that he is a legit NBA player.

I also understand the concern of a number of people here that want him here, for his defense at the 1 spot. In an ideal setting I would like to keep all three.

Here's my thinking though, Tinsley is the de facto starter. if and when Tinsley goes down for a stretch. I can see Armstrong serving the AJ role this year.

If Sarunas remains on this team, there will be a "push" to have him play more point this year. James White and Marquis are both thought to be able to handle the ball at times when needed, if not neccesarily in pure pg manner. I do wonder where exactly is Greene on our depth chart, that is no reflection on how talented he is, just the make up of our team.

While Greene is the more seasoned player after one year, I think Marshall may fill a few more needs, and he's not a slouch on D either.

As far as the preseason performances not meaning too much, if Rawle had a an average or bad preseason, would that have not mean too much either ?

If the PG spot was more clear cut that we needed Greene as a primary backup I would be in favor of keeping him at all costs. I just wonder how many PG types do we have to keep , for insurance on Tins ?

Now Marshall has shown himself versatile and he has 3pt range. Assuming Jax is our starting two guard, who behind Jackson can fill in the 2 this year with consistent 3pt range? As far as I know not Daniels or White?

I don't expect Rawle to be an all-star this year, I just think he's less of a specialist like Greene. Good at alot of things, instead of great with a few.

I actually like Rawle better than Greene, but it would be foolish to cut Greene given our PG situation.

That stinks, because Rawle has huge potential that I believe more people will recognize down the road. It really comes down to his combination of athleticism/physical tools (E.g. extremely long arms), basketball skills, intelligence and attitude. He is just not someone you would ever want to cut because I think he will only get better. In contrast, it is unlikely Sarunas and Baston are going to improve much. Those two (and Edwards) need to go. I would take nearly anyone in the league who matches salaries for these players if we could keep Marshall.

PacerMan
10-25-2006, 12:51 AM
This is the last time I'm going to mention this but I am officially in the "Shawne Williams pick was bad" camp. I can no longer defend it. Rajon Rondo would have been perfect for this team. He was a no brainer pick. Also, Marcus Williams, Jordan Farmar, Kyle Lowry, whoever.

Now, obviously, we couldn't have predicted this off-season but we have solid guys that could be our prospects now instead of Shawne and that upsets me. A lot. Shawne needs to become a near-all-star to justify this draft. Btw, it isn't right to crucify James White because no one good was available at his price. Shawne Williams is the one we should be going after.

IF we'd drafted Rando we'd STILL BE CUTTING MARSHALL or POWELL.

timid
10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I actually like Rawle better than Greene, but it would be foolish to cut Greene given our PG situation.

That stinks, because Rawle has huge potential that I believe more people will recognize down the road. It really comes down to his combination of athleticism/physical tools (E.g. extremely long arms), basketball skills, intelligence and attitude. He is just not someone you would ever want to cut because I think he will only get better. In contrast, it is unlikely Sarunas and Baston are going to improve much. Those two (and Edwards) need to go. I would take nearly anyone in the league who matches salaries for these players if we could keep Marshall.
I agree completely.....

Baston, Sarunas and Edwards need to go.....WE ARE NOT CONTENDING FOR A TITLE ANYTIME SOON SO WHY KEEP GUYS THAT WILL NOT IMPROVE.....

I just don't understand it.....Why keep some 30 year olds over guys who are a lot younger and can grow with the team over the next few years...