PDA

View Full Version : New ’Do Working For Hair-ington/Hunter, Lampley Cut From Roster {Pacers.com 10.20.06}

Raskolnikov
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/digest_061020.html

New ’Do Working For Hair-ington

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 20, 2006<hr> Asked about his new Mohawk haircut before training camp officially opened, Al Harrington (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/al_harrington/index.html) said he'd maintain it "as long as I'm going good."

<table align="left" width="100"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/daily_digest_100.jpg</td></tr></tbody></table>
Looks like the new 'do might be hair to stay.

Harrington's scoring has been one of the few constants of the preseason and was in full evidence Thursday night when the Pacers beat Charlotte 109-96. He racked up 25 points in 25 minutes, hitting 10-of-16 shots, his third game of at least 20 points in four appearances. It should be noted he has played less than 26 minutes in each of those games, which makes for an interesting extrapolation.
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/al_harrington.jpg
<center>Harrington</center></td></tr></tbody></table>

At his current scoring rate, Harrington is averaging 37.9 points per 48 minutes played. Of course, he won't play 48 minutes, so that's just a silly number, right? His average per 36 minutes, a far more realistic number, is 28.4. Still pretty impressive.

That Harrington can score in bunches is assumed. What's important to Rick Carlisle is his shot selection and decision-making. The coach wants to see fewer first-opportunity jumpers and more best-opportunity shots. That was largely the case against the Bobcats.
"He's playing better each game," Carlisle said. "He was much more efficient (against Charlotte). He didn't get a lot of free throws but a lot of his opportunities were better opportunities because he ran the floor and paid that price to beat his man."

Harrington scored 22 of his points in the first and third periods, when the Pacers racked up 24 of their 25 fast-break points and outscored Charlotte 61-49.

"We made an emphasis on running and we were able to accomplish what we had set up," Harrington said. "We made it a speed game, controlled the ball and had good defensive stops. We play like that during the regular season and we’re going to win our fair share of games"

<hr> HUNTER, LAMPLEY CUT FROM ROSTER
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jimmie_hunter.jpg
<center>Hunter</center></td></tr></tbody></table> <table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/sean_lampley.jpg
<center>Lampley</center></td></tr></tbody></table> Guard Jimmie "Snap" Hunter (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jimmie_hunter/index.html) and forward Sean Lampley (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/sean_lampley/index.html) were the first players cut from the preseason roster Friday.

Hunter, who was trying to make the Pacers as a free agent for the second year in a row, made four preseason appearances, averaging 4.3 points on .467 shooting.

"Snap's a very talented player and he's right there but he's again caught in a numbers game here," said Carlisle. "If he decides to go to Europe, he'll be a great European player. If he decides to stay (in the U.S.), he'll keep getting good looks."

Lampley, a 6-6 forward signed the day before camp opened, appeared in three preseason games and did not score but pulled four rebounds in three minutes.

"He did a good job for three weeks and was able to play two positions and help us with reps and stuff like that," Carlisle said. "He's another guy that can definitely make money as a basketball player for awhile if he can find the right situation. Both of them did a good job, it's just one of the realities of this business."

The cuts reduce the roster size to 17. Two more players must be released before the regular-season opens on Nov. 1 in Charlotte against the Bobcats.

<hr> INJURIES FORCING CARLISLE'S HAND
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/rick_carlisle.jpg
<center>Carlisle</center></td></tr></tbody></table> When Carlisle said he wanted to experiment with lineup combinations during the preseason, the idea was he would have a choice. As it has happened, the Pacers coach has done so out of necessity.

After being forced to use 31 lineups in 82 games last season, Carlisle employed his fifth in five games Thursday night as starting forwards Jermaine O'Neal (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jermaine_oneal/index.html) (sore hamstring and Achilles) and Danny Granger (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danny_granger/index.html) (bruised hip) both were unable to play in the 109-93 victory.
O'Neal and Granger are listed as probable for Saturday's game against Minnesota in Moline, Ill. David Harrison (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/david_harrison/index.html), who missed Thursday's game and Friday's practice with flu-like symptoms, is day-to-day. Marquis Daniels (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marquis_daniels/index.html) (hamstring), Orien Greene (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/orien_greene/index.html) (finger) and John Edwards (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/john_edwards/index.html) (groin) are out.

"I didn't want to re-live the last two years," Carlisle said with a chuckle. "But the good news is, right now none of our injuries are really deemed as serious (or) long-term. So there's light at the end of the tunnel but at the same time we're less than two weeks now until we play opening night. Some guys are going to have to do some catching up and we've fallen a little bit behind."

Of primary importance is determining which of the frontcourt combinations will be the most effective: using Granger with O'Neal and Harrington in a smaller group, or using Foster instead of Granger for more size. Each of those groups has started once, hardly enough evidence upon which to base a decision.

"Until you have everybody available to play, you're not going to know for sure what you really think," Carlisle said. "We had Al here before so we have a pretty good idea what he can do. … We're still figuring it out. I have ideas of what I think might work. I'm looking for some real concrete clues as to those notions being correct."

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 03:52 PM
you should have put the cuts part in the title

i hope snap finds a team

Raskolnikov
10-20-2006, 03:53 PM
you should have put the cuts part in the title
Will do.

bnd45
10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Edwards is next. And then it gets interesting. I'd cut Baston or White.

Kstat
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
If they cut White, it'll be a feeding Frenzy in here....

jjbjjbjjb
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I have a feeling they are going to cut Marshall.

Ragnar
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
They wont cust Baston and I am affraid they wont cut Edwards. (they had better but I am worried)

aero
10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Edwards, Greene & Powell would be my selections, but eh im not running the team.

why Greene you ask ? we havent seen enough of him..and being injured doesnt help I know its only his hand or whatever but we dont need injury pron guys we already have Tinsley :rimshot:

I like Marshall over Powell but chances are Marshall will get cut before Powell.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Edwards is next. And then it gets interesting. I'd cut Baston or White.

Well there's a reason the Simons don't put you in charge. Seriously, White? Come on, the contract concept is not that difficult to grasp. The Pacers traded up to get a guy with the first pick in the 2nd round who could have been a first rounder. Just because he isn't doing great in PRESEASON doesn't mean he's going to get cut. He is a ROOKIE.

ApNeDtRiEeW
10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
From what I've seen of Baston I really hope the Pacers aren't considering letting him go.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Edwards, Greene & Powell would be my selections, but eh im not running the team.

why Greene you ask ? we havent seen enough of him..and being injured doesnt help I know its only his hand or whatever but we dont need injury pron guys we already have Tinsley :rimshot:

They only need to cut 2 more.

bnd45
10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards Baston because of the versatility that most of our bigs have, would leave him in street clothes most nights. Our depth in the backcourt should lead to the same result for White, but he's much younger and could develop into a nice player. Baston is 31 and has a limited game.

1. Tinsley, Sarunas, Armstrong, Greene
2. Jackson, Daniels, Marshall, White
3. Granger, S. Williams
4. Harrington, Powell,
5. JO, Foster, Harrison

aero
10-20-2006, 04:08 PM
They only need to cut 2 more.

nope they need to cut 3 more, we can only have 15 total on the roster 12 active and 3 reserves.

gummy
10-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Nope. Re-read the initial post in this thread:

The cuts reduce the roster size to 17. Two more players must be released before the regular-season opens on Nov. 1 in Charlotte against the Bobcats.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 04:13 PM
nope they need to cut 3 more, we can only have 15 total on the roster 12 active and 3 reserves.

No, 19 - 2 (Sean and Snap) = 17 - 15 (on the roster) = 2

aero
10-20-2006, 04:14 PM
ahhhh ok my bad, in that case id cut Greene and Edwards.

bnd45
10-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Well there's a reason the Simons don't put you in charge. Seriously, White? Come on, the contract concept is not that difficult to grasp. The Pacers traded up to get a guy with the first pick in the 2nd round who could have been a first rounder. Just because he isn't doing great in PRESEASON doesn't mean he's going to get cut. He is a ROOKIE.

For the record I think White should stay, but I mentioned him as a possible cut for the following reason: He's the lowest guard on the depth chart and Baston is the lowest "big" on the depth chart. It's pretty simple. Everyone left has a guaranteed contract so the Pacers will be on the hook no matter who they cut.

Los Angeles
10-20-2006, 04:15 PM

That was two years ago.

Last year, it was changed to 14 Active, 1 inactive - no excuses needed.

Unless the rule was changed again and I didn't hear about it.

bnd45
10-20-2006, 04:17 PM
That was two years ago.

Last year, it was changed to 14 Active, 1 inactive - no excuses needed.

Unless the rule was changed again and I didn't hear about it.

No it's 12 active and 3 inactive. The new rule gave teams the option to shuffle the roster game by game rather than putting a player on the "injured list" for a minimum of 5 games.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 04:18 PM
For the record I think White should stay, but I mentioned him as a possible cut for the following reason: He's the lowest guard on the depth chart and Baston is the lowest "big" on the depth chart. It's pretty simple. Everyone left has a guaranteed contract so the Pacers will be on the hook no matter who they cut.

You honestly believe they would just cut him after all they had to go threw to get him.

gummy
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
They wont cust Baston and I am affraid they wont cut Edwards. (they had better but I am worried)

I'm worried about this too (Edwards). :arrgh: Surely they will, but...I'm not 100% confident about it. Is there a reason to not cut him today along with Hunter and Lampley? Maybe they hope to ship him off as part of a package?

bnd45
10-20-2006, 04:22 PM
You honestly believe they would just cut him after all they had to go threw to get him.

They probably won't cut him, but he should be on the chopping block before Marhsall. I view Powell and Marshall as draft picks anyway them being here would soften the blow if we did have to let White go.

bnd45
10-20-2006, 04:25 PM
From what I've seen of Baston I really hope the Pacers aren't considering letting him go.

When is he going to play? Both JO and Al are gonna get around 36-38 minutes a night and then Foster, Harrison and Powell are all ahead of Baston in the rotation. I know injuries will factor in, but Granger can play the 4 if necessary.

Anthem
10-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm worried about this too (Edwards). :arrgh: Surely they will, but...I'm not 100% confident about it. Is there a reason to not cut him today along with Hunter and Lampley? Maybe they hope to ship him off as part of a package?
That was my thought as well.

Robertmto
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Why would you guys cut Greene?

Tins is a walking injury, Sarunas can't play productive starting minutes and DA is old and on the decline. Greene needs to stay.

Speed
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
just for the record, there is no way in the world that Edwards does not get cut.

They've told Greene he made it, basically.

White cost 3-2nd round picks and has a two year guaranteed contract, they won't cut him and look stupid.

The only game Al didn't get his shots was when JO and SJ were in with Al. I hope there's enough balls to go around. SJ I think has had the 1st or 2nd most shots in every preseason game so far.

naptown
10-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Edwards and Greene are gone.

Naptown_Seth
10-20-2006, 05:18 PM
When is he going to play? Both JO and Al are gonna get around 36-38 minutes a night and then Foster, Harrison and Powell are all ahead of Baston in the rotation. I know injuries will factor in, but Granger can play the 4 if necessary.
This is what I've been saying too. The frontline is actually fairly deep thanks to Powell playing so well. Powell is the reason Baston is in a tough spot. It stopped being a serious priority situation and with Marshall playing lights out it seems like a mistake to let him go.

I say over and over, the money is already spent whether you keep them or cut them, so cut them and keep the most usuable, highest quality talent. Baston is 31 and is roughly someone on par with Darvin Ham maybe. He'll give you something, but you quickly run into his limits as well.

If Edwards isn't cut I'll be sick. I really hope that he has been kept due to the size of his contract in a possible late TRADE situation as others have speculated.

I would sincerely be 100 times more bothered by Edwards being kept than Jack and his Rio crap.

Moving Greene also seems foolish.

Los Angeles
10-20-2006, 05:37 PM
The great part of our position is that we're talking about being big AND fast. That's a potent combo, right there.

And I should add - the real solution here is to move Foster.

Sad, but it will be worth it.

imawhat
10-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Something's up when Edwards isn't in the first set of cuts.

Los Angeles
10-20-2006, 05:54 PM

I think you're right. If you cut him right now, you automatically eat a million dollars. He can still be included in a package up to November 1, so I take this as a sign that the Administration is hoping to get a deal done by then.

Trader Joe
10-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Cut Sarunas and Edwards.

Anthem
10-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Agreed. Well put.

indyman37
10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
He can still be included in a package up to November 1, so I take this as a sign that the Administration is hoping to get a deal done by then.
Dear God, I hope that is the only reason we are keeping him.

RSmits
10-20-2006, 06:11 PM
You guys are nuts if you think Greene and/or White is gone.

BlueNGold
10-20-2006, 06:49 PM

He will be cut or be part of a trade. The Pacers may give up one talented player, but not two.

I actually think Edwards is being kept around for trading flexibility so they can match contracts.

I had previously said I would like Sarunas to be cut. I still do because I don't think he adds to this particular team, but that would be a costly move.

I think either a trade will be made (which is greatly preferred) or Baston will be cut. It would be a big mistake to give up so early on White. I just cannot imagine them cutting White or Marshall over Baston when you consider the fact the team needs to move Jack out.

wintermute
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
edwards was recently acquired, remember. he can still be traded by himself, but he can't be included in a group trade, not until december i think. that's way after the necessary cuts.

so i think the theory that edwards was kept for trade purposes is flat out unlikely.

imo, a possible reason they're keeping edwards is to have another practice big. but this seems unlikely too since all of our big men seem to be healthy now (except j.o.).

hmm...

Los Angeles
10-20-2006, 08:09 PM
hmmm - I don't know the rules well enough to know. Plus I'm too lazy to look it up. :)

Can anyone confirm what wintermute is saying?

Will Galen
10-20-2006, 08:17 PM
edwards was recently acquired, remember. he can still be traded by himself, but he can't be included in a group trade, not until december i think. that's way after the necessary cuts.

so i think the theory that edwards was kept for trade purposes is flat out unlikely.

imo, a possible reason they're keeping edwards is to have another practice big. but this seems unlikely too since all of our big men seem to be healthy now (except j.o.).

hmm...

Good catch!

You got me thinking about it. Theres another way Edwards might stay. We might do a 3 for 1 deal. Nope that don't work, it would have to be 4 for 1 and that won't happen this close to the start of the season.

Now I'm wondering why he didn't get cut. You said they might be keeping him as a practice big and that made sense, but then I remembered he hasn't been practicing much. First a sore back and now a groin pull.

hmm . . .

Hey! While I'm at it are you the Wintermute that makes all the cars for the Sims2?

wintermute
10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
LA, i looked it up for you ;) and it looks like maybe i was wrong - edwards' can be traded earlier than i thought.

here's the relevant portion from larry coon's faq

(85) ... Teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:
* For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap.

however, i looked up the date we acquired harrington and edwards and it was around aug 22. so 2 months after makes the timing just right.

i take it back, edwards can be traded, either now or next week latest.

wintermute
10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey! While I'm at it are you the Wintermute that makes all the cars for the Sims2?

hey will, sorry no, i only post as wintermute in pacer forums ;)

"wintermute" is actually a character from a popular book, so i'm not surprised that other people use it as a nick

BlueNGold
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
LA, i looked it up for you ;) and it looks like maybe i was wrong - edwards' can be traded earlier than i thought.

however, i looked up the date we acquired harrington and edwards and it was around aug 22. so 2 months after makes the timing just right.

That explains it. There is just no way Edwards lasts much longer on this team. He not only is terrible, he is a misfit on this team and he has a bad back. There is no use hanging onto him unless the Simons are counting the change in their pockets. No offense John.

My dream: Saras or Jack, and Edwards are traded next week

owl
10-20-2006, 09:16 PM
All Harrington has to do is put an arrow on the front of his "mo" and
then we can call him the avatar.

Jermaniac
10-20-2006, 09:18 PM
They wont cust Baston and I am affraid they wont cut Edwards. (they had better but I am worried)DUDE I was just about to post that. I seriously dont know what I will do if they do that.

rexnom
10-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Why would you guys cut Greene?

Tins is a walking injury, Sarunas can't play productive starting minutes and DA is old and on the decline. Greene needs to stay.
Wow...more and more I'm thinking we made a HUGE mistake in the draft. I'm not excited about the Orien Greene era...especially since I'm high on Rawle Marshall. (Btw, how much better than Rawle Marshall will James White be?). I'm thinking we should have drafted one of the two guys we did and traded up for the other...Then the other 1st rounder should've have been used for Marcus Williams or preferably Rajon Rondo.

Kegboy
10-20-2006, 10:38 PM
If we keep Edwards over Powell or Marshall, I swear I'm gonna go Artest on somebody. :maniac:

Will Galen
10-20-2006, 11:36 PM

Makes sense! Todays the 20th so I would say Sunday at the earlist we could see a trade.

Eindar
10-20-2006, 11:54 PM
All Harrington has to do is put an arrow on the front of his "mo" and
then we can call him the avatar.

You've either got kids or are one to be invoking The Last Air Bender on here.

LosAngeles
10-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Not Sunday. League office has to be open to approve a trade so it's Monday at the earliest.

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Not Sunday. League office has to be open to approve a trade so it's Monday at the earliest.

Yep, you're right!

LOOK FOR A TRADE EARLY NEXT WEEK!

jjbjjbjjb
10-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Wow...more and more I'm thinking we made a HUGE mistake in the draft. I'm not excited about the Orien Greene era...especially since I'm high on Rawle Marshall. (Btw, how much better than Rawle Marshall will James White be?). I'm thinking we should have drafted one of the two guys we did and traded up for the other...Then the other 1st rounder should've have been used for Marcus Williams or preferably Rajon Rondo.

:sadyes: And a lot of us wanted Rondo...

Hopefully :shawnewilliams: will make us forget! :boxer:

Naptown_Seth
10-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Just happened to check RealGM trade checker...Edwards can't be traded till October 22.

I came here to post that and saw that it was already being discussed a little. Is there any other GOOD reason that "I can't even play" Edwards would be kept at this point? Maybe a deal isn't certain, but I bet the phones are working hard.

What about SarJas-Edwards for D. Marshall for example, if the Pacers wanted a shooter still and the Cavs still liked pairing SarJas with Big Z.

Naptown_Seth
10-21-2006, 01:32 AM
hey will, sorry no, i only post as wintermute in pacer forums ;)

"wintermute" is actually a character from a popular book, so i'm not surprised that other people use it as a nick
Neuromancer - classic cyberpunk, SF book of the year (Hugo Award), one of the greatest Sci-Fi novels of the last 50 years, and that's not even going by my opinion.

Just happened to be re-reading it the last week or so.

Anything you saw and liked about the Matrix was invented by Gibson about 15 years earlier (including calling the net, which didn't exist then either, the "matrix").

Back to the topic at hand.

3rdStrike
10-21-2006, 01:59 AM
What could/would they even deal Edwards for? I mean what would anyone give up, unless it was a package deal.

Los Angeles
10-21-2006, 04:34 AM
What could/would they even deal Edwards for? I mean what would anyone give up, unless it was a package deal.

What this means to me is that he could just be a salary add-on to make the numbers fit for two teams over the cap. Again, that's just a guess.

Tony Valente
10-21-2006, 06:58 AM
A SarJas + Edwards for D. Marshall won't help much cut-wise. We will still have to cut one of the 3 ...

Speed
10-21-2006, 07:12 AM
A SarJas + Edwards for D. Marshall won't help much cut-wise. We will still have to cut one of the 3 ...

You're right......... It doesn't help to move Edwards in a two for one...hmmmmm.

Carlise said that position need will play a part in who they cut, in today's paper...that leds you to believe with MD being out so far, White =deer in headlights, & Jax legal issues that all points to Marshall staying.... If they cut Powell they will regret it for a long long time, imho.

I swear I'd rather have Powell on the team over about 9 guys based on talent, skills, and age at this very moment.

owl
10-21-2006, 07:17 AM
You've either got kids or are one to be invoking The Last Air Bender on here.

Yes. We could just call Al, Ang. :-)

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061021/SPORTS04/610210454/1004/SPORTS

According to this article it looks like it comes down to Rawle or Powell.
That is sad of so.

BlueNGold
10-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Carlise said that position need will play a part in who they cut, in today's paper...that leds you to believe with MD being out so far, White =deer in headlights, & Jax legal issues that all points to Marshall staying....

It is unclear to me what he means by that statement. I think the PG situation is more of a problem. Without Greene, our D at PG is almost non-existant. I see Tinman not being available for stretches again this year.

I actually think we need both Marshall and Greene, but I think the "position" statement, and the one about being productive in a short period, indicates Marshall is on the bubble. ...but I have a terribly difficult time believing we would let Marshall go. Powell is not going anywhere, so don't worry about him. Edwards is only still around due to trade possibilities.

It's Greene or Marshall........or a trade.

Speed
10-21-2006, 09:38 AM
It is unclear to me what he means by that statement. I think the PG situation is more of a problem. Without Greene, our D at PG is almost non-existant. I see Tinman not being available for stretches again this year.

I actually think we need both Marshall and Greene, but I think the "position" statement, and the one about being productive in a short period, indicates Marshall is on the bubble. ...but I have a terribly difficult time believing we would let Marshall go. Powell is not going anywhere, so don't worry about him. Edwards is only still around due to trade possibilities.

It's Greene or Marshall........or a trade.

I don't think it's Greene since...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061013/SPORTS04/610130454

"We've seen enough," Walsh said he told Greene. "The right thing to do here is get your finger fixed."

The Pacers have four other point guards in camp. Greene, however, appears secure.
"We need depth at the point position, we need the ability to guard, the ability to bring in an athletic element and an element of tenacity," Carlisle said. "He's a good player offensively, too. He's got a good feel for the game. He's worked hard on his shooting.
"We really like him; otherwise, we wouldn't have claimed him."
--
Also, beside the above remarks, I've seen somewhere that Carlise considers Greene the Pacers best perimeter defender, but I can't find the article right now.

---------
And not Powell...... from 10/5/06 article

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061005/SPORTS04/610050478/1088/SPORTS04

"It was clear to us that this guy is definitely a roster player in this league and very well could be a rotation player," coach Rick Carlisle said.

The Pacers weren't allowed the luxury of idle admiration, however. Powell's contract became guaranteed Sunday, forcing them to back their optimism with a commitment of nearly $750,000, his salary for this season.

Carlisle describes that as an easy decision. The Pacers will have to trade or release three players to get to the league limit of 15 heading into the season, but the 6-9 Powell seems safe.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh draws a link to Miami's Udonis Haslem. Jermaine O'Neal, who played against Powell in several pickup games at the Fieldhouse, goes a step further.
"He's a better Udonis Haslem," O'Neal said. "He's a better offensive guy. He brings that same toughness, but he's a little taller and blocks a lot of shots."

---

And Marshall was considered a "throw in" to the deal, but has a "great chance".

http://www.nba.com/preview2006/call_ind.html

Q: What are Rawle Marshall’s chances of making the roster at this point?

Carlisle: Rawle Marshall is certainly playing well. He was a throw-in on the deal for Anthony Johnson for Darryl Armstrong, Josh Powell, and Rawle was the third guy in the deal. I guess not a lot was expected but we knew he was a young player that was a good prospect but he’s played well here. He’s averaging double figures the first three games, not that that is that significant, but he’s played steadily and he’s got a great chance if he keeps playing well.

----

So I really have absolutely no idea...

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Speed, those articles are why I keep saying "Trade."

Probably Marshall for a 2nd rounder. Marshall has played so much I think they are showcasing him. He keeps playing like he has though and maybe it won't be him that gets traded.

Speed
10-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Speed, those articles are why I keep saying "Trade."

Probably Marshall for a 2nd rounder. Marshall has played so much I think they are showcasing him. He keeps playing like he has though and maybe it won't be him that gets traded.

Yep, makes sense and I agree, but I hate to say that because trade are sooo hard to do and you can't give up too much that it defeats/outweighs what you are trying to do/keep. What i'm saying is if you give up Foster or Saras a rotation player, you have to be careful that you are doing it to try to keep a guy who may not be a rotation player in Marshall. Thats even taking for granted there are 2 or 3 for 1 player trades available. And it's easy to say we'll get a rotation player in reture, but thats impossible to tell, it's unlikely in the preseason other teams are making equitable offers, since everyone is undefeated at this point.

However, here's what I think, if a trade doesn't happen.

Thanks to Jax's troubles, MD's hamstring that Marshall has to make it.

You can't cut White you would look stupid and it doesn't make sense because he's had a month of being subjected to the NBA, basically, but he's not nearly ready to contribute.

Also, thanks to Powell looking like a 23 yr old Haslim, you have to keep him.

You can't get rid of your only beef in Harrison, even though he looks worst to me over the last year and a half.

Greene is needed for insurance and has basically been promised a spot.

White is on the team.

It leaves Baston, I wish I remembered what his contract looked like lengthwise, but he's not been as good as Powell, he's 8 years older, he's a foul waiting to happen. I love his length, love his ability to run, but he's limited in what he can do and what he has done. The team has forwards galore, it has to be him. It won't be that bad, he'll land back in Europe (be a psuedo star) or on someone's bench in the NBA and everybody is happy.

So I'll go on record that unless there is a trade, unless Jax is exonerated and MD is 100% by 10/30, it's Edwards and Baston gone.

The only other thing is to make Armstrong a coach now, not next year.

BlueNGold
10-21-2006, 10:30 AM
So I'll go on record that unless there is a trade, unless Jax is exonerated and MD is 100% by 10/30, it's Edwards and Baston gone.

That is quite possible IMO. Baston would be nice on the team, but cutting him makes more sense to me when you consider everything including the financial picture.

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 10:35 AM
It leaves Baston, I wish I remembered what his contract looked like lengthwise, but he's not been as good as Powell, he's 8 years older, he's a foul waiting to happen.

Baston has a 2 year 1.8 million contract.

My only question is would Bird do that? I doubt it. He showed a reluctance to get rid of Artest, and he's did the same with Jax and Tins. He just doesn't want to do something that doesn't improve the team, and the offers for those guys couldn't have been to good.

Speed
10-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Baston has a 2 year 1.8 million contract.

My only question is would Bird do that? I doubt it. He showed a reluctance to get rid of Artest, and he's did the same with Jax and Tins. He just doesn't want to do something that doesn't improve the team, and the offers for those guys couldn't have been to good.

I wonder if he signs in Europe, if he's cut, if you still pay him and if so then I assume you retain his rights.

sixthman
10-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Another team is going to get a steal regardless of what we do...As Will says, picking up a second round pick for one of them may be about the best we will do.

I guess it's better to have too much to chose from, than too little, when it comes to the last three roster spots, but all of this makes me wonder if the Pacers management aren't flying by the seat of their pants too much.

sixthman
10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I wonder if he signs in Europe, if he's cut, if you still pay him and if so then I assume you retain his rights.

No, if the Pacers cut him, he gets his guaranteed money and he's a free agent.

Bball
10-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Why would you trade a guy like Marshall for a 2nd round pick when Marshall is at least as good as any 2nd round pick you'd possibly pick up PLUS you already know what you have with Marshall?

-Bball

Will Galen
10-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Why would you trade a guy like Marshall for a 2nd round pick when Marshall is at least as good as any 2nd round pick you'd possibly pick up PLUS you already know what you have with Marshall?

-Bball

I agree, but it's better than cuting him and losing him for nothing.

Bball
10-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I agree, but it's better than cuting him and losing him for nothing.

I wouldn't cut him or trade him. I'd consider trading away Sjax in a pkg with Harrison or Foster. Then I'd keep Powell and Marshall. Or, if Sjax is too much poison for anyone to touch I'd look to pkg Foster somehow. Powell should already have Foster's spot IMHO.

-Bball

timid
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Please, please trade Edwards and SARUNAS..........Trade Sarunas, he's terrrible....

Alpolloloco
10-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Please, please trade Edwards and JACKSON..........Trade JACKSON, he's terrrible....

fixed

vapacersfan
10-21-2006, 02:17 PM
fixed

No, it really isnt fixed.

I cant stand either of them, but at least Jax has shown he can make contributions to this team. Runi cant even get the ball up past half court on his own, better yet run of offense.

Robertmto
10-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Pwned

Leisure Suit Larry
10-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Where are all these "lets cut White or Williams" people now that they are the main reason they won last night?

Hicks
10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
All,

This thread has a few examples of some of the things causing this forum to be less than it could and should be. "Fixing" others posts, calling people out after the latest flash in the pan during the season, and things that add nothing such as "pwned" hurt Pacers Digest.

Please be more considerate in the future.

- Hicks

Bball
10-22-2006, 02:50 PM
AFAIC, Powell's already got Foster's spot (if it was my call) and so I'd be doing everything I could to move Foster in some kind of space-making move.

I don't know how the trade for draft pick scenarios work out or if we could get a draft pick and an affordable player to 'cut' in return for Foster. I'd think Foster is a tradable commodity tho. And Foster might even be the sweetener to move some other Pacers in a 2-1.

We shouldn't be hitching any wagons to the Sjax train nor would I write Tinsley's name in anything other than pencil.

And with Harrington here, I wouldn't be adverse to a trade of JO :eek:
...if the particulars lined up. And I wouldn't have to have a bona fide (current) 'elite' player back either. Altho the salary situation would make for a mess of players to be sorted thru.

-Bball

BlueNGold
10-22-2006, 08:16 PM
AFAIC, Powell's already got Foster's spot (if it was my call) and so I'd be doing everything I could to move Foster in some kind of space-making move.

I don't know how the trade for draft pick scenarios work out or if we could get a draft pick and an affordable player to 'cut' in return for Foster. I'd think Foster is a tradable commodity tho. And Foster might even be the sweetener to move some other Pacers in a 2-1.

Yes, Powell is the better player because he not only plays within himself and does the dirty work, he can hit free throws and the mid range jumper. It's no fun watching JO post-up against 2 defenders, one who should be guarding Jeff. That will not be a problem with Powell on the floor.

In addition to Powell, Al makes Jeff more expendable. Al is big enough to guard most players we put Jeff on. If not, Powell probably is. In any event, both are in a different league on offense...and open up the game for JO.

We need all of our players to be capable on offense in this new fluid scheme.

Anthem
10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
I like the idea of Harrison, and while I'm not Hulkaniac I'm not as down on him as Unclebuck. But Powell's ready right now.

I wonder what we could get for him?

owl
10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Bluengold said.."We need all of our players to be capable on offense in this new fluid scheme."

Well said. Powell can start or be first off the bench at the pf spot. If JO is the center and Al the sf then start Powell at pf. Phoenix has a player at every postion who can score. What Phoenix has is that many of their players can hit the three along with the midrange shot.

Unclebuck
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
I want to go on record as saying Foster is better than Powell. We haven't seen Powell play a regular season game yet. Can we wait at least until Thanksgiving

grace
10-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I want to go on record as saying Foster is better than Powell. We haven't seen Powell play a regular season game yet. Can we wait at least until Thanksgiving

You haven't seen Jeff play a regular season game this year either.

Just
10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
I like the idea of Harrison, and while I'm not Hulkaniac I'm not as down on him as Unclebuck. But Powell's ready right now.

I wonder what we could get for him?

NO!! :( He's our only true center.

Naptown_Seth
10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
a guy who may not be a rotation player in Marshall
He was a rotation player (and started) for Dallas last year. As a main player in pre-season he has easily held his own and looks comfortable enough to almost be a sixth man. He's not that far off of Daniels IMO, maybe just a tad more raw.

Buck, I'll go on record as saying that I disagree at this point. I haven't seen enough of Powell to be sure, so I might end up wrong on it. I'm not stomping my foot on this or anything. But I do think that Powell's total game is a bit better than Foster's. And I have been a big Foster fan since year 1...honestly.

No, if the Pacers cut him, he gets his guaranteed money and he's a free agent.
Actually he goes on waivers for 48 hours first, and if a team races to get him before someone else does then they pick up his contract and the Pacers are off the hook. If you pass on waivers then you are in a bidding war. As long as that bidding is cheaper than the contract then the teams that passed on him while he was on waivers are okay.

But say you waived Artest instead of trading him. What team wouldn't want him at that current contract? He would have been claimed off waivers quickly and when he did his salary would have left the Pacers books. If teams let him clear it would cost them more to get him.

Players want to clear waivers and get extra pay, but if the player is good enough teams don't want to let him go to the open bidding market. Problem normally is why would a team cut a player with a fair/good contract (for the team)? Doesn't happen often so players claimed off waivers is rare.

Baston seems a bit over-paid so he probably would clear.

My point with the roster remain thats the money is spent already. Forget it (unless you have a trade on deck). None of the players in question are signed up for more than 2 years and none are for more than roughly $1m a season. So to me it just becomes a bunch of players you paid to have the rights to, and from that group you pick the best.

Cutting Marshall doesn't reduce how much you spent, neither does cutting Greene. At least if they clear waivers it doesn't. So financially there is no way to realistically improve the situation by cutting one player over another.

All that's left is actual talent and potential.

BlueNGold
10-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Yes, it is too early to make any proclamations, but we all do anyway.

....so I will go on record saying that Powell is better than Foster.

We need to consider this is preseason, but we also need to consider that Powell is only 23, plays good D, rebounds well, has a consistent shooting stroke at the line and from the floor, has toughness and has JO's better than Udonis Haslem stamp...and JO has played both of them.

.....but you are right, it's too early to tell.

PacersFan83
10-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Harrington's blossomed into an All-Star-caliber forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 20/9/3 this year and make the team.

Unclebuck
10-22-2006, 11:03 PM
You haven't seen Jeff play a regular season game this year either.

I've never seen Peyton Manning play NBA basketball either

Anthem
10-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Where are all these "lets cut White or Williams" people now that they are the main reason they won last night?
But... but... but... it's only the preseason! :D

PacerMan
10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
:sadyes: And a lot of us wanted Rondo...

Hopefully :shawnewilliams: will make us forget! :boxer:

Yes we did. With what we know now about Powell and Marshall it would be a no brainer..... of course some of us thought it was on draft day too. (wtf were they thinking?)

PacersFan83
10-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes we did. With what we know now about Powell and Marshall it would be a no brainer..... of course some of us thought it was on draft day too. (wtf were they thinking?)

I would argue Shawne Williams has a much higher ceiling tna Marcus "Fat, Lazy, Unathletic, No Shot, Poor Defense, Questionable Ethic" Williams.

And please stop overrating Rawle Marshall. The guys averaging a whopping 8.7 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.2 assist per game in preseason. Wow.

Anthem
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
And please stop overrating Rawle Marshall. The guys averaging a whopping 8.7 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.2 assist per game in preseason. Wow.
And this is obviously as good as he'll ever be.