PDA

View Full Version : AP} Artest looks for respect off court as he releases first rap album

Los Angeles
10-20-2006, 02:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rappinartest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Artest looks for respect off court as he releases first rap album

By JONATHAN LANDRUM Jr., Associated Press Writer
October 20, 2006

ATLANTA (AP) -- Ron Artest sat backstage with his entourage, wondering if the audience would approve of his upcoming performance.

He was prepared for extra scrutiny after being tarnished by his unpredictable, out-of-control behavior over the past few years in the NBA. And he knows that many already have stereotyped him as another athlete-turned-rapper such as Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant, who didn't excel in the music industry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Still, Artest believes he can prove the doubters wrong.

"I've got music to be heard," he said. "Obviously, some people will judge me from my past. But I can make music. I want everyone to know about my life and relate to me, and see that I'm very approachable and easygoing."

Artest is striving to gain more respect in hip-hop and give many a better understanding of himself on his new album, "My World," which will be released Oct. 31. He raps about his personal experiences, world issues and partying in clubs, while also expressing his thoughts about participating in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"When people actually listen to the album, they'll say to themselves, 'Wow, I didn't know that he felt this way,"' Artest said. "It's like I'm a totally different person on this album."

Character issues have hurt Artest's image around the NBA, but his bad-boy image might help in an industry that thrives on thuggish demeanor, a la 50 Cent and other roguish rappers. Growing up in a broken home and dealing drugs at a young age in New York City's Queensbridge section, a neighborhood where drugs and gun violence are common, also might help him gain acceptance in the studio.

"People don't understand that my street credibility is a whole lot bigger than most in the industry today," Artest said. "If I had more push, then everyone will see the results."

His recent tours may help. This year, he performed during the popular Hot 97 Summer Jam festival in New York, opened for rapper Fat Joe on a European tour, and was the beginning act for platinum-plus selling artists Ludacris and Young Jeezy.

"Ron's a hustling-type guy," Jeezy said. "He jumped on the road with me and went after his dreams. I've seen him go out on numerous shows and do his thing. When his album drops, I'm going to pick it up."

While Artest is trying to find his way as a rapper, others have given him moral support.

"This is what he is supposed to do," said producer Rodney Jerkins. "It's all about the hustle and the grind. I don't believe in letting things drop in your lap. You've got to make it happen and artists like him need to hit it hard."

DJ Drama said the athlete-turned-rapper deserves a chance. He expects Artest to receive some negative feedback, but pointed out that Shaquille O'Neal had a short but successful tenure as an artist in spite of negative reviews. Even though Drama has never heard a single track from Artest, the disk jockey said he should still get a chance.

"If he puts his mind to it, he could do it well," Drama said. "He just has to study the game. The same way he learn how to play basketball, he can do the same way with rap. I know Ron Artest and he's a passionate dude. I know he has something to say."

Artest does have a riveting tale. In 2004, he was benched two games after asking Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for a month off to rest from a busy schedule, which included promotional appearances for his R&B group Allure, a trio signed under his label Tru Warier Records.

Two weeks later, after being benched, Artest charged into the stands toward a Detroit fan, claiming he was hit in the face with a cup of ice, and exchanged punches with other fans. He was suspended for 73 regular-season games and the playoffs.

During his time off, Artest continued to work out while promoting Allure's album. But last year, he was traded from Indiana to the Sacramento Kings, the group's album "Chapter III" was a failure and major record labels weren't showing any interest in him.

"It was tough," he said. "No one wanted to give me or my group a chance. When I wrote my rhymes, people dissed me. They still do it to me 'til this day."

Artest said his competitive nature won't let him quit -- on the court or off.

"Right now, I'm playing hard but not smart," he said. "At times, the industry hasn't embraced me for who I am in a business sense. But I'm just going to keep going. If I lose, then I lose. But I'm trying to win."

Updated on Friday, Oct 20, 2006 1:13 pm EDT

ABADays
10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
It's always about respect :rolleyes:

Isaac
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
He seems like the type of competitor we need to give this team some fire. Do you think Sacramento would accept Jack/Foster?

ABADays
10-20-2006, 03:23 PM
He seems like the type of competitor we need to give this team some fire. Do you think Sacramento would accept Jack/Foster?

Didn't you get enough of his fire the first time?

Hicks
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Looking for respect is like expecting your year's salary up front.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 03:55 PM

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Lord Helmet
10-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Ron-Ron spits hot fire......

ChicagoJ
10-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Artest looks for respect...

:censored: him.

Shade
10-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I am sooooo glad he's gone.

Isaac
10-20-2006, 07:21 PM

I was only joking. ;)

ABADays
10-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I was only joking. ;)

Thank God.

Jermaniac
10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
In the song Haters, Ron disses a bunch of people that hated on him after the brawl and he sends a shout out to JO and Jack for having his back.

JayRedd
10-20-2006, 09:22 PM
TRUUUUU WARRRRIIIER

AesopRockOn
10-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Criticize this mutha****as! Keep it real Ronny my boy!

Hicks
10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
"Keep it real."

Let me pull out my translation: "Pretend what you do is legit/OK" :rolleyes:

denyfizle
10-21-2006, 01:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-rappinartest&prov=ap&type=lgns

Artest looks for respect off court as he releases first rap album

"It was tough," he said. "No one wanted to give me or my group a chance. When I wrote my rhymes, people dissed me. They still do it to me 'til this day."

Updated on Friday, Oct 20, 2006 1:13 pm EDT

Because you deserve to be dissed Ronron.

Nothing personal but Artest's rhymes are corny. He raps with a monotone voice and mumbles through 90% of his songs. And considering he's made tracks off his million dollars worth of studio equipment, his tracks won't stand out when you compare them to any kid doing voice over rap in his bedroom. Come on RonRon, there's a fine line between ambition and reality. Talent and dillusion. But you got to give it to him though with the hustling part. He's making the most of his connections. That's respectable alright. But is that enough for him to get respect as a music artist? Hell no. There's tons of talent out there that deserve that respect more.

This dude waltz his way around proball screwing around because he has talent so he gets off the hook while players like Snap Hunter and Will Bynum bounce around the world just to get another shot. But if he thinks he can do the same in rap, he's overestimating himself too much. He may have the hype but he doesn't have talent to bail him out on this field.