PDA

View Full Version : Time to answer some questions

Unclebuck
04-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Not much to talk about, so I thought I would ask a series of questions at the quarter break for the Pacers playoff run. More Pacers questions at the end.

1) Playoffs, what playoffs. Pacers vs Celtics felt more like a preseason home and home scrimmage. Looking back does it feel like the Pacers have played a playoff series yet?

2) Who is a tougher matchup for the Pacers, the Heat or Hornets. Who would you rather play?

3) If we assume it will be the Heat, what player on the Heat worries you the most? Is Stan Van Gundy really the beter looking Van Gundy?

4) For those of you who were saving your money for the later rounds and more exciting series. Will the Pacers v Heat/Hornets get you to the Fieldhouse?

5) Should Don Nelson be fired if the Mavs lose to the Kings? Will Pat Riley be the next coach?

6) Is the Spurs v Lakers second round series really the NBA Finals?

7) Who will win the Nets v Pistons series?

8) Who was the Pacers MVP in the Celtics series?

9) What is the one area of concern, that is making you doubt that the Pacers can win the championship this season?

10) Bender's play in the Celtics series was ?

bulletproof
04-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Unclebuck: Playoffs, what playoffs. Pacers vs Celtics felt more like a preseason home and home scrimmage. Looking back does it feel like the Pacers have played a playoff series yet?

bulletproof: No.

UB: Who is a tougher matchup for the Pacers, the Heat or Hornets. Who would you rather play?

bp: Heat.

UB: If we assume it will be the Heat, what player on the Heat worries you the most? Is Stan Van Gundy really the beter looking Van Gundy?

bp: Ha-ha.

UB: For those of you who were saving your money for the later rounds and more exciting series. Will the Pacers v Heat/Hornets get you to the Fieldhouse?

bp: No. I live in Los Angeles. It'll take a trip to the finals for me to travel to Indy.

UB: Should Don Nelson be fired if the Mavs lose to the Kings? Will Pat Riley be the next coach?

bp: Yes. No. Maybe?

UB: Is the Spurs v Lakers second round series really the NBA Finals?

bp: Um, no.

UB: Who will win the Nets v Pistons series?

bp: I'd like to see New Jersey win. Not because I think we'd have an easier time with them, but because Pistons fans have become really smug since they acquired Sheed, and it's always nice to see people humbled.

UB: Who was the Pacers MVP in the Celtics series?

bp: The Bench. Note capitalization of Bench.

UB: What is the one area of concern, that is making you doubt that the Pacers can win the championship this season?

bp:

UB: Bender's play in the Celtics series was ?

bp: Promising.

MagicRat
04-28-2004, 10:29 AM
1) Playoffs, what playoffs. Pacers vs Celtics felt more like a preseason home and home scrimmage. Looking back does it feel like the Pacers have played a playoff series yet?

After game 1, no. Game two actually felt like the playoffs in the fieldhouse. After that, not so much again. So, I guess they've played one playoff game......and maybe a couple of playoff quarters

2) Who is a tougher matchup for the Pacers, the Heat or Hornets. Who would you rather play?
Hornets are probably a tougher matchup, but I have no real preference as to who the Pacers play.....

3) If we assume it will be the Heat, what player on the Heat worries you the most? Is Stan Van Gundy really the beter looking Van Gundy?
I suppose Odom. I have no comment on part 2.......

4) For those of you who were saving your money for the later rounds and more exciting series. Will the Pacers v Heat/Hornets get you to the Fieldhouse?
N/A

5) Should Don Nelson be fired if the Mavs lose to the Kings? Will Pat Riley be the next coach?
Don't really care....

Nope....

Netstons

Group award to the bench....

9) What is the one area of concern, that is making you doubt that the Pacers can win the championship this season?
I have no pressing concern at this point, other than AJ handling the press at the point.........

A good start......[/quote]

ChicagoJ
04-28-2004, 10:30 AM

No, I thought it felt more like a regular season game against Milwaukee on a snowy Tuesday night in February.

The tougher matchup is NO. Although they don't play very well, thier team has the right combination of players that cause us problems. Baron's quickness; PJ's and Magloire's muscle; Wesley's shooting, etc. I'd rather play the Hornets because they've got a little more playoff experience and they'll give us a better challenge. If we played Miami and eliminated them in five games, we'd really be unprepared for the intensity that Detroit or NJ would bring.

(Putting on my pessimist hat). Brian Grant's muscle and his ability to play mental games with JO. Eddie Jones' consistency at the defensive end. Sure, both of those guys are overpaid but they are great players. Wade's quickness, Odom's versatility, they're just scarry.

Now, I still think JVG would look very good standing in front of the Pacers' bench. :love:

I'm going, regardless of the opponent.

Yes. Yes.

No, but it is the Western Conference Finals.

Pistons in seven.

Al Harrington.

Lack of playoff experience.

Long overdue, and unexpected in the next round.

Peck
04-28-2004, 10:32 AM
1. Yes, it felt like the playoffs to me.

2. The Hornets are by far & away our toghest matchup of the two. I would much rather have Miami anyday.

3. Lamar Odom. You only can do so much to stop somebody of that talent. Yes, Stan is the better looking VanGundy although he has always reminded me of Larry Storch of "F-troop" fame.

4. I can't answer this because I was there from game one.

5. Don Nelson should be fired either way & while they are at it they should sell the team to some owners with class. No Pat Riley won't be the coach.

6. No. Hell no. Either Detroit or ourselves have a legitimate chance against either of those teams.

7. I gotta go with the Pistons. I never like to downplay an opponet but N.J. has just never done it for me. It's almost like it's been three years of smoke & mirrors with them.

8. I gotta go with Al Harrington. He set the tone from game one & he never really let up.

9. We've addressed this all season long but I'll do it again. Big physical teams (ie N.O.) scare me. Quick point guards are also somewhat of a concern, but the middle bothers me more.

10. Good. Now I'd like to see that against a better team & with as much emphasis on the defensive end of the floor as I see on the offense. Although much to my suprise he was not made a fool of by Paul Pierce.

whodean
04-28-2004, 10:32 AM

The Pacers played a JV team in the first round, nuff said.

PJ Brown could be a thorn in O'Neal's side, I think the Hornets would be tougher.

You should worry about Lamar Odom, he makes that team tick.

not applicable.

Yes. No. (Dell Harris)

Yes, the Spurs will win it, only stumbling in the ECF IF they meet the Pistons.

No question here.

Danny Ainge

They have to play the Pistons

Good. Needs to do it against real competition--I'll agree with that.

Hicks
04-28-2004, 10:41 AM

The first game felt like a playoff series, and I guess the 2nd did. However game 3 and game 4 quickly felt like a formality (Once we got a lead, you knew they weren't coming back)

I think the Hornets are the tougher matchup. Magloire and Brown will rough up JO and Jeff and Al pretty good in the paint. And Brown's a dirty *****, who will probably cause a suspension one way or another because of his punk attitude (he pushes people and talks trash like they've wronged him, BEFORE the other side does anything)

I'd rather play Miami.

Probably Wayde. Keeping him in check is important. Obviously Odom is someone you have to deal with, but we have some great frontcourt players to deal with him.

Finals are next week. If there's a game 5, I'll probably be there.

Maybe. And I don't know. It'd be interesting to see what Riley got them to do.

Only if the Spurs beat us or Detroit. :p

Probably the Pistons.

I think it was a collective effort, but Al comes to mind. He did a good job of attacking, rebounding, and drawing fouls. Artest on Pierce was huge as well. And the bench as a unit was a great thing to see.

Our ability to score when needed.

Great, especially considering pre-series expectations of.... nothing.

kybjones
04-28-2004, 10:49 AM

Minus Mashburn, I'd say I'd rather play the Hornets. I'll almost always take a beaten up team over an inexperienced team. Call me crazy.

Eddie Jones. A veteran with playoff experience. Just salivating on the chance to knock down some open three's on an Odom or Wade kickout. I assume Ron and Al would split time guarding Lamar with Ron's other time spent splitting on Wade with Fred and Jamal. That leaves Eddie with some mix of Reggie and AJ defending.

Odom is a tougher player to guard. Wade is a tough matchup for us as well. I just think Eddie would the most effective in a series.

Fired yes, but based on the regular season, not the Kings series. Riley won't end up in Big D. Little Donnie will get the job when Cuban and Big Donnie come to an "understanding."

Consistent perimeter shooting and defending 1st class, quick PGs.

Encouraging.

Ragnar
04-28-2004, 10:52 AM

Not really but the 1 should beat the crap out of the 8

Neither one should be tough. Yes we lost to the Hornets twice but there are a few things that make me think we wont in the playoffs.

a) they had Mashburn for the two wins and did not for the two losses.

b) Artest went out in the first game we lost and was still out for the second game.

c) Mashburn is gone and Artest is back

Odom I guess but right now neither team has proven they can win on the road and they would have to beat us in our home court to get past us.

Will try to make some games but living in Fort Wayne makes it tough to make a game that starts at 6:00.

I dont know about Nelson but maybe Cuban should fire himself for putting together a team that has not intrest in defense. I dont think Riles will be the coach. He has a good thing going in Miami why leave.

*&^$%&^$&^^$

It will either be the Nets or the Pistons.

Ron for shuting down Pierce.

Lack of anyone to guard Shaq or Miller :mad: if we face the Lakers or Kings. And the continued use of AJ. Why oh why could we not have signed Darryl Armstrong.

Encouraging but did not raise my hopes that he would do it in the ECF or the Finals.

indygeezer
04-28-2004, 10:57 AM

Not after game 3

Hornets---Heat

It will be the Hornets and David Wesley is the X factor. SVG looks like he should belly up to a bar in Boston.

Maybe....but I may have to count coins 'cause I definately wanna go to the ECF games...only so much coin to go around.

Yes and no

No

Nets

Harrington

Fast Point gaurds and Big Centers

Hopefully a prelude of better things to come.

Slick Pinkham
04-28-2004, 11:10 AM

Sure. There was focus. Nobody was goofing around or thinking about getting rest until the 4th quarters.

Heat, since they will have gotten their confidence by beating the Hornets. The Pacers can defend bulk (well, except Shaq) better than speed. Wade, Odom, Alston, Butler are all super-quick.

Odom. Who guards him? Foster? Jermaine? Ron? He is long, quick and can take you off the dribble.

All Van Gundy are equally ugly, in deifferent ways.

not applicable. The games will be more instense and appealing, though.

No. They changed the whole team on him in one year. The NBA ain't fantasy league. Guys must gel. Riley? Nah.

Only in the minds of the Western Conference butt-kissing media.

Pistons.

Bench mob: Al, JB, AJ, AC.

turnovers.

a breath of fresh air.

Suaveness
04-28-2004, 01:46 PM

A playoff series is a playoff series. Doesn't matter who. Boston is a basketball team, and they still played.

The Hornets are a tougher matchup, since they are a bigger team. I would rather play the Heat.

Wade. They are BOTH ugly.

No clue.

Yes. No.

No.

Pistons.

JO.

Oddly enough, Defense. I don't think our defense is good enough to beat Detroit, and I think their Defense is better than ours.

Very good. Lets see if he can keep this up without getting injured against more physical teams.

Kegboy
04-28-2004, 02:17 PM

Home games felt like the playoffs, cause people actually cheered (myself included.) Away games, not so much. :sleep:

Hornets, cause of their experience. Heat, cause they're fun to watch.

Odom is usually the most difficult matchup for them, but Wade would give us the most problems. Stan; it's easier to lose weight then regrow hair. :cry:

N/A in my case. But I still don't see sellouts until the ECF.

Yep. Nope. Cuban might want him, but I don't see Riles going there. Another year or two before he coaches again.

Nope. The ECF is. :devil:

Eh. :whoknows:

Brandon Hunter. :P

Dick Bavetta being called in to ref all our games, just like '99. :mad: :boxer: :maniac: :sadbanana:

The Beginning <insert THX intro>

efx
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I'll just answer the first question since it's been on my mind recently.

Yes. As far as difficulty goes the Celtics weren't much of a challenge. But until this year, the Pacers hadn't made it out of the first round in 3 years.

You can bet your *** it gave them a mental boost that is invaluable.

Kstat
04-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Not much to talk about, so I thought I would ask a series of questions at the quarter break for the Pacers playoff run. More Pacers questions at the end.

No.

If I'm Indy I pray I'm playing Miami in round 2.

Dwayne Wade presents the biggest matchup problem for Indiana. And both Van gundys are ugly.

If I were a a fan I'd be going every game reguardless, but thats just me i suppose.......

Nelson SHOULD be fires, and Pat Riley SHOULD and WILL replace him.

No, because I don't think LA will win the NBA title.

Pistons in four. Sweep retribution.

Danny Ainge.

Their propensity for taking too many jumpers.

Impressive. Though on the same token nobody was guarding him.

NewYawk
04-28-2004, 03:55 PM
[quote]Not much to talk about, so I thought I would ask a series of questions at the quarter break for the Pacers playoff run. More Pacers questions at the end.

Yes. Those 4 games were the most intense I've seen the Pacers all year.

The PAcers will walk through the East.

Both are tough. Both will lose in 5.

Butler, Wade, and Odom are all good players. Both VanGundy's are better looking than Rasheed "no low post game" Wallace.

If the games do not sell out, then Indiana does not deserve the Pacers. Move them to Staten Island. :D

Pat Riley will be coaching the Lakers next year.

No. SA will not face LA in the WCF.

Nor will Indiana face Detroit in the EFC. Indiana will face NJ, and beat them in 5.

Nets in seven. The Pistons have no answer for Jason Kidd or Kenyon Martin. Kidd will Kill Billups ;) and Hamilton. Neither Wallace can guard Martin (or anyone else in the post for that matter).

Oh, and Detroit stinks.

The bench, and Jermaine O'Neal. Both are better than anything Detroit has on its roster... because Detroit stinks.

None. No real competetion in the East. Most complete team in basketball next to SA.

Impressive. Looked like Tayshawn Prince was guarding him though.

DisplacedKnick
04-28-2004, 03:58 PM

Hardly. Nice to get to rd 2 though

I think the Hornets are the tougher matchup but w/out Mashburn it's pretty marginal. The only reason is, if he's healthy, Baron can almost take over a series. The Heat have some tough matchups like Odom but nobody who'll average 30 for the series and if the Pacers play their game they just pound, pound, pound it inside and wear Miami out.

Odom would. Antoine gave you lots of problems last year by taking the ball inside (like he should all the time) and either scoring or passing out of doubles. Odom can do that and do it better.

Kind of an N/A for me but I'll probably try to make a finals game or two, esp vs the Spurs and probably an ECF game vs the Pistons - I like how all 4 teams play and think it'd be fun to watch.

Yes and no. Don has built a team that can't win in the playoffs. Period. Riley would go insane trying to coach those guys. Fratello or even Doc Rivers would be better.

No - Minny's still there. And really you can't discount the Kings either.

Pistons. Nets will be lucky to average 75. Det can slow the break and stifle them in the halfcourt.

Danny Ainge. Or JO I guess.

2 actually - mental toughness you get from making deep playoff runs. Detroit's done it, Indy hasn't. The other area of concern is called the San Antonio Spurs.

Very exciting - loved seeing him spend a lot of time 10-15 feet from the basket rather than drifting around the 3-pt line. He could be large vs the Heat though seeing his play vs NO would be more interesting because we'd see if he can perform vs a team that plays physical and leans on him.

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Playoffs, what playoffs. Pacers vs Celtics felt more like a preseason home and home scrimmage. Looking back does it feel like the Pacers have played a playoff series yet?

No , It was certainly nothing to gauge our play on how far we will go ing the playoffs

Who is a tougher matchup for the Pacers, the Heat or Hornets. Who would you rather play?

Hornets - I would rather play the Heat , but no matter what I think they would both be tough matchups for us from what I have seen so far in the series.

If we assume it will be the Heat, what player on the Heat worries you the most? Is Stan Van Gundy really the beter looking Van Gundy?

Well I think Wade , Odom and Jones. Stan is defintely more blessed with looks :)

For those of you who were saving your money for the later rounds and more exciting series. Will the Pacers v Heat/Hornets get you to the Fieldhouse?

Yes

Should Don Nelson be fired if the Mavs lose to the Kings? Will Pat Riley be the next coach?

Yes

Is the Spurs v Lakers second round series really the NBA Finals?

No , but I think whoever wins that series will be WCF Champ

Who will win the Nets v Pistons series?

I think the Nets will win the Series afterall they are 2 time defending EC Champs and they look healthy enough and the rest they are getting could help them over the top agaisnt detriot

Who was the Pacers MVP in the Celtics series?

The Pacers Bench

What is the one area of concern, that is making you doubt that the Pacers can win the championship this season?

Center position and lack of offenseive ability in the backcourt to put up decent scoring

Bender's play in the Celtics series was ?

pretty good , but he needs to prove he can do this consistantly and against much better teams

Millerartest
04-28-2004, 04:59 PM
I skipped a few...

1) Looking back does it feel like the Pacers have played a playoff series yet?

I can see the argument that they haven't, but it's not their fault the Celtics are so subpar. And they should get credit for making it look easy.

Doesn't matter to me who Pacers play. But Baron Davis will shred our point guards all over the court.

3) Should Don Nelson be fired if the Mavs lose to the Kings?

No way. He's been a great fit for that team. I think, if anything, management should be questioned because Walker has inured their chemistry from last year. Firing coaches are the easist, but not always the best solution, witness the Orlando Magic.

4) Is the Spurs v Lakers second round series really the NBA Finals?

That's a laugh.

5) Who will win the Nets v Pistons series?

Pistons have arrived.

6) Who was the Pacers MVP in the Celtics series?

Bench Mob

7) What is the one area of concern, that is making you doubt that the Pacers can win the championship this season?

Poing guard - yes Tinsley is great but I worry about how he would fair against guys like Tony Parker and Sam Cassel. Center - once again, we have no answer for Shaq. And winning big games down the stretch.

8) Bender's play in the Celtics series was ?

Astonishing. The Skinny Assassin will do it against anybody. Top 10 in the league last I looked in points per minute. He and Reggie will be the difference makers in the big games.

Kstat
04-28-2004, 07:01 PM
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/homer/g5.gif

Oh yeah and:

No. SA will not face LA in the WCF.

WOW, you were really going out on a limb there! I predict the Pistons will not play the Pacers in the NBA finals.....

You're pretty funny, Writerman... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tim
04-28-2004, 07:16 PM

I lean towards yes because the Pacers showed playoff intensity. The Celtics had no business being there.

The Hornets wold be tougher than the Pistons if they were healthy. Pacers can't do anything with a strong point. If Baron Davis is healthy enough Pacers may not advance beyond the Hornets.

Wade but he doesn't have the supporting cast to take on the Pacers.
No opinion on Stan and Jeff other than they both can coach well.

Yes, especially the Hornets.

No and No.

Not if the Spurs advance. I still think the Championship is going to the Lakers.

Nets unfortunately, I think we would be better off taking on the Pistons, no Jason Kidd.

What Bullet said, the bench.

Quick backcourts. Baron Davis, Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, those one of those guys will end the season for the Pacers.

Good to see he is healthy, but that is about it. If he plays well in the next round, that will be something.