PDA

View Full Version : Lest we forget: How 'bout Al?

McKeyFan
10-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Lost in all the excitement and concern over who gets cut . . .

And the silver lining lurking behind the ongoing arguments over Tinsley and Runi . . .

. . . is the fact that Al Harrington looks really, really good.

He has a poise, a smoothness, and a confidence that he didn't have when he was here before. And his outside jumper is almost surreal it looks so good.

So far, he does not remind me of the "black hole" Harrington of the former years. His shots seem more confident and higher percentage. And when he grabs the rebound and starts the fast break, it is a thing of beauty.

You know, when we traded Al, our franchise went downhill. We kept Artest, we gained Jackson. Neither should have happened; we should have just kept Al all along. He defines the class and integrity of Indiana basketball.

I admit, I was one of those wanting to see Al traded in the former years. I got tired of the "black hole," and I didn't have the vision to see him rise above it. Like TPTB, I should have been more patient. It's still preseason, but I am very encouraged by what I see so far.

Bball
10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
But will Al look like that when the team revolves around JO, as it surely will when he returns?

-Bball

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-20-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm a big fan of Al. I'm stoked that he's back, and doing well. I expect a big year from Al. Getting him back was the best thing to happen to the Pacers in the last few years.

RamBo_Lamar
10-20-2006, 04:30 AM
But will Al look like that when the team revolves around JO, as it surely will when he returns?

What I would really love to see is for JO to adopt more of a "Bill Russell" type
mentality, and game. Focus on low-post defense first and foremost.

On offense, let Al be our first low-post option, with JO placing top priority on
blocking out, and positional rebounding.

I could see it working nicely if JO focuses on being a "dirty work" type player
first, and looking to score only when a "can't miss" opportunity presents itself.

I think Al would look great in this type of scenario.

Phildog
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
JO will not revert to being anything but a scorer. I like the guy, but I don't see him redefining himself for a team concept. In his mind, he is the team, and everyone revolves around him, which is probably how it should be.

Harddrive7
10-20-2006, 08:18 AM
JO will not revert to being anything but a scorer. I like the guy, but I don't see him redefining himself for a team concept. In his mind, he is the team, and everyone revolves around him, which is probably how it should be.

If this team revolves around JO look for a sub .500 year for the Pacers.

PacerMan
10-20-2006, 08:35 AM

-Bball

WHO hasn't learned that dumping it into JO and watching is a recipe for failure? Everything I've read about TPTB suggests THEY have as well.
So I don't agree it SURELY will when he returns. Focus, yes. Revolves around, I don't think so, not any more.

Tom White
10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
What I would really love to see is for JO to adopt more of a "Bill Russell" type
mentality, and game. Focus on low-post defense first and foremost.

On offense, let Al be our first low-post option, with JO placing top priority on
blocking out, and positional rebounding.

I could see it working nicely if JO focuses on being a "dirty work" type player
first, and looking to score only when a "can't miss" opportunity presents itself.

I think Al would look great in this type of scenario.

JO is going to have to get a WHOLE BUNCH TOUGHER for that to happen.

McKeyFan
10-20-2006, 10:48 PM
WHO hasn't learned that dumping it into JO and watching is a recipe for failure? Everything I've read about TPTB suggests THEY have as well.
So I don't agree it SURELY will when he returns. Focus, yes. Revolves around, I don't think so, not any more.

Big difference between TPTB knowing something and doing it. If fact, I would considering betting a put option on it.

Destined4Greatness
10-20-2006, 11:00 PM

-Bball

Not to mention PRESEASON.