PDA

View Full Version : We need to keep both Powell and Marshall

Shade
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Both of these guys fit PERFECTLY into this "new system" we're supposed to be implementing. That AJ trade is looking like a STEAL for us right now.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
So that means Greene or Baston.

LG33
10-19-2006, 11:21 PM
We really can't just pawn off one of our guys for a pick?

AesopRockOn
10-19-2006, 11:23 PM

Both of which seem to be guaranteed spots.

Shade
10-19-2006, 11:23 PM

JO
Al
Tins
Jack
Granger
Williams
White
Runi
Armstrong
Powell
Marshall
Foster
Baston
Harrison
Daniels

That should be our roster.

Destined4Greatness
10-19-2006, 11:34 PM
I say we cut Runi. Hell maybe we can get somebody to give us a second rounder even. A LATE LATE Second rounder.

dlewyus
10-19-2006, 11:37 PM
JO
Al
Tins
Jack
Granger
Williams
White
Runi
Armstrong
Powell
Marshall
Foster
Baston
Harrison
Daniels

That should be our roster.

Keep Greene and cut Jesse Cabbages.

Just
10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
It's good to see the two Dallas guys looking like steals. I think Skaut and Jerm called it first, with me later jumping on board after downloading a Mavs game of Powell and Marshall.

I want to keep Greene too, though. Honestly, I think TPTB need to make a brave move and cut whichever Euro they think will help us least. That, or make a trade. A trade would be even better.

Roaming Gnome
10-19-2006, 11:57 PM
On the call in show tonight after the game, Kevin Lee mentioned that Marshall could be getting heavy minutes to showcase him in hopes of bringing in a possible 2nd round selection.

If a team is interested in a player that we may cut and they are not high up on the order of "waivers", there might be a possible deal to get the player from the Pacers instead of praying that player makes it down to them thru the "waivers" process.

Bottom line though, looks to me Marshall and Powell are the guys to keep.

:duck: Heck, Powell makes Foster pretty much expendable! :zip:

Anthem
10-20-2006, 12:42 AM
I can't tell you how fun it was to see Flight and Marshall on the wings.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah I'm hoping for these two also. I wish I could make a preseason game but oh well.

rexnom
10-20-2006, 01:43 AM
I just want to let you know that I've been asking buddies of mine who are Celtics fans what they think of Orien Greene and their general response is "Orien Greene? He's awful! I used to root against him! I knew the Celtics would lose once Orien Greene was playing significant minutes." So yeah.

Diesel_81
10-20-2006, 01:51 AM
If we can't clear up some space for a trade then Baston may be the one to go. Lets face it he's not going to get any time. Powell has outplayed him and we have a ton of big men on our team that can play the 4 spot. I just don't see how you can cut Marshall with the way he's been playing.

RamBo_Lamar
10-20-2006, 03:08 AM
Both of these guys fit PERFECTLY into this "new system" we're supposed to be implementing. That AJ trade is looking like a STEAL for us right now.

These young pups do "got game" - very nice pickups for the Pacers. If kept,
will be very interesting to see what kind of durability they have over the
coarse of a full season.

Guys like these are such a breath of fresh air that make it easy to overlook
some of the annoyances that have taken place.

:2tup: :2tup: :2tup:

Moses
10-20-2006, 03:15 AM
I think we need to keep Powell and Marshall. Screw trading them...both of these guys could turn into excellent players for our franchise. I say we try and trade away Jack/Foster or something of the sort...I like Jack and Foster..but I'd prefer youth on this team to go along with JO and Harrington.

Alpolloloco
10-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I just want to let you know that I've been asking buddies of mine who are Celtics fans what they think of Orien Greene and their general response is "Orien Greene? He's awful! I used to root against him! I knew the Celtics would lose once Orien Greene was playing significant minutes." So yeah.

On every Celtics forum there is a negative image of Orien Greene's game. He doesn't look to have the abilities to be a NBA guard. Only his defense is noteworthy.

So maybe he had a stellar quarter against The Nets, is that really where you want to make a decision on? I say cut Greene and keep Marshall and Powell.

lumber man
10-20-2006, 05:33 AM
On every Celtics forum there is a negative image of Orien Greene's game. He doesn't look to have the abilities to be a NBA guard. Only his defense is noteworthy.

So maybe he had a stellar quarter against The Nets, is that really where you want to make a decision on? I say cut Greene and keep Marshall and Powell.
you make a good point. but, i think his defense is the main reason everyone is so high on him. having a good defensive stopper as our 3rd (and prob. sometimes 2nd) point guard would be swell.

PacerMan
10-20-2006, 08:39 AM

TPTB wanted him (and signed him quickly) because of the way he singlehandedly distrupted our offense last year. We NEED a defender at the 1 spot. Desperately.
Marshall may look good but he's behind 3 or 4 other good young swing players. There's simply no minutes there. He's only playing now because of the injuries. Once Daniels is back HE gets those minutes. He's gone.
Unless they get REALLY smart and cut Jackson.

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
OK, so if we cut Greene, then that will mean TPTB flat out lied to him when they told him "there is no need for you to play with a broken finger, get your finger taken care of, you've made the team"

as far as those reports about every Celtics forum having a negative opinion of Greene (I'm sure they are like every forum, some posters like him some don't) all I know is I really liked what I saw of Greene last season, I want him on the Pacers.

FrenchConnection
10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
On the call in show tonight after the game, Kevin Lee mentioned that Marshall could be getting heavy minutes to showcase him in hopes of bringing in a possible 2nd round selection.

If a team is interested in a player that we may cut and they are not high up on the order of "waivers", there might be a possible deal to get the player from the Pacers instead of praying that player makes it down to them thru the "waivers" process.

Bottom line though, looks to me Marshall and Powell are the guys to keep.

:duck: Heck, Powell makes Foster pretty much expendable! :zip:

I really think that Kevin is right here. Marshall is getting far too many minutes for a guy that is trying to make the team out of camp. Powell is not getting nearly as many minutes and we know that he has made the team. I think that they hope to parlay Marshall into a second-rounder.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 10:11 AM
OK, so if we cut Greene, then that will mean TPTB flat out lied to him when they told him "there is no need for you to play with a broken finger, get your finger taken care of, you've made the team"

as far as those reports about every Celtics forum having a negative opinion of Greene (I'm sure they are like every forum, some posters like him some don't) all I know is I really liked what I saw of Greene last season, I want him on the Pacers.

They never said he made the team for sure. Carlisle said he saw enough.

FrenchConnection
10-20-2006, 10:14 AM

At times, if you read our forum you would think that JO is garbage and Austin was the best player on the team. The Lakers forums often make Odom seem useless and Andrew Bynum the second coming of Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Chris Mihm, Luke Walton and Brian Cook (all players that I would be happy to have on the Pacers), complete and total garbage (who ironically could be traded, with "filler", for KG). You cannot go by message boards when evaluating a player.

And remember, Greene was a rookie last year. You have to imagine that he will improve a lot this year, especially in terms of the assist/turnover ratio and shot selection(selection, not %). Those are stats that are heavily influenced by experience. But the fact that he can guard someone at the 1 spot makes him a keeper in my book.

Speed
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM

During the Al back and forth in August on the Hawks forum, a poster told me that Jax was bad because everyone this forum didn't like him. My reply was just because posters don't like a guy, it doesn't mean he's not good and quoted Jax's numbers from last year.

Also, the poster said well if Al's so good why would all of the posters on the Hawks forum not care that he was leaving the Hawks, to which I said, I don't know why posters don't care if their team loses its second best scorer, rebounder, and assist man...

I'm not saying I was over there flaming, but what a small group of biased posters on a bulletin board being quoted as a reason for a players ability doesn't hold alot of weight, imo.

You can basically find any opinion about any player ranging from great to terrible, if you look hard enough.

On Greene, what I've seen I like alot, but it's admittedly been limited in what I've seen. He's young, a pit bull, a true point guard, can't shoot. I don't think its a mystery. I really like what he brings.

JayRedd
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM

The Celtics have also had numerous good perimeter defenders lately in Tony Allen, Marcus Banks and Delonte West, not too mention that they just got Rondo.

So I imagine it's a lot easier to hate Greene if you have multiple other players that can do the same thing. We, on the other hand, only have Daniels and a 38-year-old that can guard the little guys.

ABADays
10-20-2006, 12:36 PM

What? Root against your own player :-o You would think only Pacer fans did that.

bulldog
10-20-2006, 01:38 PM

We lost a starter, have a major question at PG as a result, and got two potential rotation players who have a chance of making a playoff roster sometime down the road.

How is that a steal?

Sigh, it's easy to get excited in the preseason.