PDA

View Full Version : Josh Powell = Solid

McKeyFan
10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Give the man solid minutes in the regular rotation.

Heady, savvy defense.

Good, well-positioned rebounding.

Pure shooter.

Deliberate, confident free throw shooting (important under pressure).

Decent one-on-one moves.

Knows where to position himself on the court to get the assist for an easy shot.

This guy is a keeper.

Jermaniac
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Just like I said when we got him. Everyone wanted Rawle and Orien to make the team, I kept telling yall Josh Powell is the man.

McKeyFan
10-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Can you show us the thread? I believe you, I would just enjoy reading your prescience.

Bball
10-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Just like I said when we got him. Everyone wanted Rawle and Orien to make the team, I kept telling yall Josh Powell is the man.

I want all 3 to make the team...

-Bball

317Kim
10-19-2006, 09:29 PM
He's a beast. Period.

I believe SIG and Jerm said the same thing about him after Fan Jam.

Jermaniac
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I dont remember what thread it was in, this was 2-3 months ago.

Frank Slade
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
I dont remember what thread it was in, this was 2-3 months ago.

Yeah I'll vouch for it, Jerm was pimpin Powell, before pimpin Powell was cool :cool:

Jermaniac
10-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Thats why me and you homeboys

imawhat
10-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Does his situation remind anyone of how Antonio Davis just kind of 'appeared' out of nowhere and started producing? Toughness, nice offensive game, solid defense, etc.

I'm starting to think more highly of the trade now.

Bball
10-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Does his situation remind anyone of how Antonio Davis just kind of 'appeared' out of nowhere and started producing? Toughness, nice offensive game, solid defense, etc.

I'm starting to think more highly of the trade now.

I just sent someone an email a few minutes ago and in it I made the AD comparison myself.

-Bball

Unclebuck
10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
I like Powell a lot, the best thing I can say about him is that he plays like a veteran, and yes he does play like Udonis.

I also think Marshal will make the team, he seems like a very nice player, but the reason why I think he'll make the team is because he's starting all these preseason games and I doubt Rick would start him if they did intend to keep him.

Kegboy
10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
I just sent someone an email a few minutes ago and in it I made the AD comparison myself.

-Bball

Can you show us the email? I believe you, I would just enjoy reading your prescience.

:cool:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Moses
10-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I want to keep Green, Rawle, and Powell. I really wouldn't have much of a problem getting rid of Jax. All 3 players could be very good contributors to our team in the long run..and by the way it's looking, the short run as well.

BlueNGold
10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Powell, like this thread says, is just solid. He is as good as Udonis for sure.

Marshall is both intelligent and an extremely athletic guy. He will be able to get his shot off over other players and I think he will get much better.

When you add Armstrong, we absolutely raped Dallas in that trade.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Powell, like this thread says, is just solid. He is as good as Udonis for sure.

Marshall is both intelligent and an extremely athletic guy. He will be able to get his shot off over other players and I think he will get much better.

When you add Armstrong, we absolutely raped Dallas in that trade.

I agree I hated AJ, great trade.

NorCal_Pacerfan
Mobile Homeboys? (sorry, got that from the movie RV - cracked me up)

Cornrows
I can't think of any possible way they can get rid of Powell and Marshall. If they can't make a deal to move Saras or Jack (good luck) they may have to work with Shawne Williams and have him take a D-league tour of duty until a spot opens up. He seems aware that he needs to develop more to contribute.

http://indycornrows.blogspot.com

Unclebuck
10-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Not sure this is the official post game thread, but I want to comment that Tinsley played very well. Jamaal needs to study the tape of this game and do whatever he can to play this type of of game.

Rick said it is becoming very clear who the better players are.

McKeyFan
10-19-2006, 10:09 PM
I can't think of any possible way they can get rid of Powell and Marshall. If they can't make a deal to move Saras or Jack (good luck) they may have to work with Shawne Williams and have him take a D-league tour of duty until a spot opens up. He seems aware that he needs to develop more to contribute.

http://indycornrows.blogspot.com

Several guys on this board say that a player sent to the D league still counts as one of your 15. Doesn't help the problem.

So . . . it's Marshall, Powell, Greene or Baston.

Or a trade.

I'd have to cut Rawle, even though I like him.

What about Armstrong?

McKeyFan
10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Can you show us the email? I believe you, I would just enjoy reading your prescience.

:cool:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

There's prescience and then there's DOCUMENTED prescience.

;)

AesopRockOn
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Those NC State guys can be quite surprising.

Hopefully, that's true since I'm not quite sure I know what I'm talking about.

Just
10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I will be angry if we don't call all 3 of the youngins, cause then some other team will snatch them right up. Cut one of the Euros if we have to. I haven't seen Baston, but Saras is borderline useless.

dlewyus
10-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Powell looks good. He might make one of the other bigs expendable.

sweabs
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
He knows how to rebound the ball and is aggressive underneath the net. That's all I've wanted for a long, long time. That's all he could bring to the court each night and I'd be more than happy. But the fact that he brings all the other qualities with him is just icing on the cake. He is turning into one of my favourites.

BlueNGold
10-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Several guys on this board say that a player sent to the D league still counts as one of your 15. Doesn't help the problem.

So . . . it's Marshall, Powell, Greene or Baston.

Or a trade.

I'd have to cut Rawle, even though I like him.

What about Armstrong?

A trade is needed to avoid losing Marshall. I cannot believe TPTB will let him walk.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I will be angry if we don't call all 3 of the youngins, cause then some other team will snatch them right up. Cut one of the Euros if we have to. I haven't seen Baston, but Saras is borderline useless.

I thought Saras played well tonight, in fact, I saw at least 3 great plays from him tonight - ON DEFENSE. :-o

317Kim
10-19-2006, 10:25 PM
I thought Saras played well tonight, in fact, I saw at least 3 great plays from him tonight - ON DEFENSE. :-o

He did do well. 5 points and 4 asts.

Don't mind him, he didn't watch tonight's game ;)

Just
10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Don't mind him, he didn't watch tonight's game ;)

True. Anything I say about tonight's game is complete horseshiat. I just meant that Saras has looked useless so far.

Is Daniels playin yet? Or still hurt?

Evan_The_Dude
10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
If we can cut White, I'd be for that even if it means we'd lose out on everything we gave up to get him. Marshall at this point has won White's spot.

Just
10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
NO! Cutting White would be stupid

Jermaniac
10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
WE CANT CUT FLIGHT, I dont care. LALALALALALALALA I cant hear you.

317Kim
10-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Cutting Flight would be a huge mistake. :noooo:

Daniels didn't play tonight.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I'll say it again - cut Greene.

Unclebuck
10-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll say it again - cut Greene.

I'll say it again, that would be a huge mistake. Greene will play significant minutes this season and probably start a few games this season - in a few years, who knows what he might do.

sweabs
10-19-2006, 10:42 PM
No one wants to cut any of these young guys - and for good reason. Honestly, we have way too much depth right now (and guys with potential). A trade really has to be made to clear room for some of these guys.

Jermaniac
10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I would trade Sarunas in a second for a 2nd round pick. I wonder if the Cavs still want him. He can go play with Big Z.

Bball

Actually, some of our other players make themselves expendable. Powell's just there to fill the gap.

IOW... they wouldn't be expendable if they didn't have shortcomings that they've failed to address before a player come here who could seriously challenge for their spot. Take for example the number of layups that are Fostered (ie: missed) by Foster.

-Bball

Los Angeles
I trust your eye for talent, I really do.

I just wish I had seen Daniels play point minutes this preseason. His injury combines with Greene's is the big "curveball" of the preseason. hard to make a choice from the armchair having not seen these guys get minutes in games.

317Kim
I'm not sure if I want to cut Greene just yet. I really liked what I saw of him against the Nets. It's too bad he broke that finger.

Just
10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Gotta remember Flight is a rookie, struggling in preseason shouldn't be something we cut him from the team from. Shouldn't give up on him that easily.

Evan_The_Dude
10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Of all the guys, the one that really doesn't fit is David Harrison. I'm not saying what we should do with him, but he's certainly not an up and down the court kind of player... too clumsy for that.

BlueNGold
10-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm not going to be happy unless we work some kind of trade. I like all these guys. If a gun was to my head, I would cut in the following order:

1) Edwards - Obvious
2) Lampley - Obvious
3) Snap - a bit of a loss on offense

Now it gets tough. I would prefer a trade involving Jack and Saras...or cutting one of them. But if we must...

4) Baston - This will be a significant loss. He is a good fit for this team and matches up well on the second team with Harrison. They both love to foul.

5) White - He needs time and could get much, much better. He has not shown anything yet and his history at Cincinnati seems to be ominous at this point in terms of being a disappointment.

6) Greene - We need his defense bad at PG. Real bad. Other PG's will beat us to death without him...or maybe Quis.

7) Marshall - He has huge upside. Great physical tools, confidence, intelligence, defense, length...star potential IMO. Most potential IMO of all of these guys.

8) Powell - Solid. Every team needs a guy like him. What makes him special is he does all the dirty work (defense, rebounding, etc.) but is also solid offensively. Incredible find by TPTB.

Evan_The_Dude
10-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Haha Lampley was the only player that wasn't on tonight's program. I assume he's already gone.

Ralph Snart
10-19-2006, 11:04 PM
This is such a good problem for us to have. To be honest, when the AJ trade went down, I was scratching my head a little, but based on this preseason evidence, I have to say, I think we took Dallas to the cleaners. Armstrong is a good replacement for AJ, and depsite being older, I think he has a better motor in him. Rawle and Josh look like they are complete steals.

Giving up AJ for these three guys may be one of the best moves Donnie has pulled off in the past few summers. How do they always find a way of unearthing these end-of-bench gems?

Naptown_Seth
10-19-2006, 11:17 PM
He's a beast. Period.

I believe SIG and Jerm said the same thing about him after Fan Jam.
JO went on and on about Powell during the player intros. I almost felt embarrassed for the other guys.

Powell is so on the roster its not funny, though I thought that almost after FJ. Rawle was the one that didn't show anything at FJ, but since then he's been sick.

I have to say that even though BnG and I totally disagreed about Jack tonight, I'd rank the cut order the same as he has right now. I really can't remember the last camp where I was upset about losing the 16th man.

Even last year when Snap didn't make it I didn't think it was wrong and I wasn't bothered by it at all. The fact that he didn't catch on with another team seemed to confirm that POV.

Baston
White
Marshall
Greene
Powell
SarJas
Foster

If Baston had any kind of reliable jumper he could press a player like Foster and Powell for a roster spot. Will TPTB simply take a hit with a talent loss to keep the paychecks on the team, or will they cut extra money to keep talent?

As I've said, you are already on the hook to pay all these guys, so you might as well keep the 15 best and most likely to help within the next 3 years. At 31 my other concern with Baston is how much more will he give? He's not a guy you brought in to become something, you brought him in to be that guy right now.

So far he isn't that guy even if he's good enough to make the 15. This isn't Dale Davis coming in 2 years ago from what I've seen.

Naptown_Seth
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
One thing about Rawle and Powell (and Greene) vs White and Williams, they both saw real NBA minutes last year which certainly is helping their confidence and awareness, so SOME (but not all) of what impresses about them is a poise that you can expect White and Williams to find by next year.

Shade
10-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Give the man solid minutes in the regular rotation.

Heady, savvy defense.

Good, well-positioned rebounding.

Pure shooter.

Deliberate, confident free throw shooting (important under pressure).

Decent one-on-one moves.

Knows where to position himself on the court to get the assist for an easy shot.

This guy is a keeper.

Co-sign

Anthem
10-20-2006, 12:38 AM
This is such a good problem for us to have. To be honest, when the AJ trade went down, I was scratching my head a little, but based on this preseason evidence, I have to say, I think we took Dallas to the cleaners. Armstrong is a good replacement for AJ, and depsite being older, I think he has a better motor in him. Rawle and Josh look like they are complete steals.

Giving up AJ for these three guys may be one of the best moves Donnie has pulled off in the past few summers. How do they always find a way of unearthing these end-of-bench gems?
Plus it allowed us to get John Edwards, which is what we needed to get Al Harrington.

Big steal.

hoopsforlife
10-20-2006, 07:26 AM
I would be willing to release or trade one of the two slower, big guys who can't shoot and foul out within 3 minutes of entering the game. Their upside is limited and they are tapping on the ceiling of their success right now.

The only thing that separates them is attitude. Using this as a determining factor I would trade or release David Harrison. (If we can't or won't cut Jackson outright.)

owl
10-20-2006, 08:25 AM

If his production continues like this, Harrison or Foster could very well be
expendable. JO was promoting Powell at the beginning of training camp.
He has great touch for a bigman. He has better mechanics that JO.
As far as the AD comparison, he may not block shots as well but he rebounds as well and definitely shoots better than AD. This guy will be first off the
bench by the end of the season to back up Al or JO
Rawle also could be quite the offensive player. REALLY long arms and can drive and dish as well as hit the short jumper. These guys played in an
uptempo offense last year so they know how to run already.
Keepers.

owl
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
The cuts I believe will come from either...

Baston
Armstrong
Harrison(trade?)

Why keep Armstrong when he is a one and done type player?
Why not make him an assistant coach. The only thing he really brings
is leadership. He can do that from the bench. Why give up a very promising
and useful player this year such as Green.

One other comment which already has been mentioned, when was the last
time we had this much discussion on the last player to be cut?
Ever? The team is deep and if they play defense and RUN this will be
a much more enjoyable brand of basketball to watch.
If they play slog ball as in years past all this talent will be wasted.

owl

Speed
10-20-2006, 08:42 AM
What's interesting to me, if tptb knew Powell is this good, would they have signed Baston. Also, if they knew Marshall was this good would they have traded 3-2nd rounders for White? BTW, Marshall is only 10 months older than White.

Lastly, are these newcomers Greene, Marshall, and Powell really good or are we all so starved for new, athletic players that if they make, if they get to play will all of their shortcomings become obvious and we will see why their previous teams were willing to part with them?

Another words, is it like falling in love with the new girl in school or like not eating for 3 days and getting a stale cracker and thinking its the best food you've ever had? :)

I'm playing devil's advocate here, I said in a previous post that Powell could be their 3rd best all around 4/5, right now.

Also, also, out of Powell, Marshall, and Greene do we really think they will be in the normal playing rotation? I think Powell will, I don't think they will be able to keep him off the court. I think Green could, if Carlise is calling him the team's best on the ball defender, right now.

Speed
10-20-2006, 08:46 AM
The cuts I believe will come from either...

Baston
Armstrong
Harrison(trade?)

Why not make him an assistant coach. The only thing he really brings
is leadership. He can do that from the bench. Why give up a very promising
and useful player this year such as Green.

One other comment which already has been mentioned, when was the last
time we had this much discussion on the last player to be cut?
Ever? The team is deep and if they play defense and RUN this will be
a much more enjoyable brand of basketball to watch.
If they play slog ball as in years past all this talent will be wasted.

owl

I wonder if Armstrong is willing to do this? I wonder what the rules are to bring him back as a player if a season ending injury happens? He was brought in to be a vocal presence, can he do this as a coach?

Anthem
10-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Because right now he's our second-best point guard?

Speed
10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/insider_061019.html

Until the last couple of games, Josh Powell had done most of his impressing behind the closed doors of practice, showing determination, toughness and a consistent willingness to do the dirty work – hard screens, tough rebounds, strong box-outs and the like.

On back-to-back nights, he showed he can shine in the bright lights, as well.

Powell scored 20 points with five rebounds off the bench, scoring eight in the fourth quarter as the Pacers pulled away for a 109-96 victory over Charlotte Thursday night in a preseason matchup of two extremely shorthanded teams.

"The numbers don't lie," said Coach Rick Carlisle of Powell's performance. "He's doing good things but he can't let up. He's got to keep doing them."

Powell had 12 points and eight rebounds Wednesday night in a loss to Denver in Cincinnati, giving him 32 points and 13 rebounds on back-to-back nights while recovering from the flu. With cuts looming, both Powell and fellow former Maverick Rawle Marshall, who had 12 points, three rebounds and three assists, have made strong cases for roster spots.

"It's becoming more and more evident who the better players are," said Carlisle. "… I would advise everyone involved to keep playing hard in practice and to keep playing hard in games." .......

.....Powell then became the go-to guy, scoring 12 of the team's final 30 points. After Charlotte cut the deficit to 92-87 midway through the fourth, he made key plays on three straight possessions, hitting three-of-four free throws while shutting down Sean May in the post, and then grabbing the rebound. That led to a 3-pointer by Sarunas Jasikevicius that made it 98-87 and effectively sealed the game.

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Armstrong, I don't believe is even in the team's discussion as a possible cut. He is the best leader on the team, he is the second best point guard on the team, his value to the team can't be measured. He isn't going anywhere

JayRedd
10-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Why not just package Harrison and Sarunas for a shooter?

Q looks very expendable in NY with Marbury, Francis, Crawford, Rose, Nate, and Zeke's new toy, Balkman.

I'm not a huge fan and he has a pretty crappy contract, but he thrives in open space and could help space the floor.

3rdStrike
10-20-2006, 10:48 AM
I would trade Sarunas in a second for a 2nd round pick. I wonder if the Cavs still want him. He can go play with Big Z.

That's actually a really good idea. And Jay, I don't think this team needs any more bodies at the 1, 2 or 3 position unless they part ways with Jackson. There are already enough guys who need to be getting minutes.

I'd be looking for a way to get back into next year's draft.

Speed
10-20-2006, 10:51 AM
That's actually a really good idea. And Jay, I don't think this team needs any more bodies at the 1, 2 or 3 position unless they part ways with Jackson. There are already enough guys who need to be getting minutes.

I'd be looking for a way to get back into next year's draft.

If/when Tins goes down then who is the starting point guard and whats the rotation, at point.

The argument for this type of trade is this though, I would bet Carlise has played Saras at the two as much as the pg, so far this preseason. Is this out of necessity due to the injury to MD or is this again how Carlise is going to use him, which has shown that he's disinterested/ineffective at the two.

ajbry
10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
I echo the thoughts of keeping all three - Greene, Powell, and Marshall. If we can ship Harrison or Sarunas out for a 2nd, or package them both for a decent player, that would work out perfectly.

3rdStrike
10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
If/when Tins goes down then who is the starting point guard and whats the rotation, at point.

Armstrong - Greene - Daniels - White

How often did Gill play? They're never going to NEED to use Daniels at the 1, but he'll likely be used there out of experimentation, but he's an emergency 1 and it's fine. And White is the emergency - emergency 1.

Hell, they dabbled with using Fred Jones at the 1 some, and Dallas used Daniels a few times there as well.

Let's say Tinsley is gone and you don't want to start Armstrong because you don't want him playing more than 10 minutes. You rotate Greene and Daniels at PG, there is more than a little depth at SG and SF between Jackson, Granger, Harrington, White, and Marshall.

Let's face it, from what we've seen (and we've had far longer to judge him than we have Marshall - Powell - White - Williams, etc) of Jasikevicius, he sucks at PG. I'll go on record and say that Sarunas as PG is more of a liability all-around than Daniels or even James White would be.

He can't play D, he gets frustrated, he's slow, he can't dribble, he hasn't found his shot, and he hasn't proven that he can have a good assist/TO ratio. I felt better with Gill in the game last year. The only thing I like about Sarunas is his ability to force a shooting foul on offense.

If Tinsley is significantly hurt during the season, they'll end up making a mid-season trade for a new PG anyway. It's not like Sarunas is going to save the day.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm not going to be happy unless we work some kind of trade. I like all these guys. If a gun was to my head, I would cut in the following order:

1) Edwards - Obvious
2) Lampley - Obvious
3) Snap - a bit of a loss on offense

Now it gets tough. I would prefer a trade involving Jack and Saras...or cutting one of them. But if we must...

4) Baston - This will be a significant loss. He is a good fit for this team and matches up well on the second team with Harrison. They both love to foul.

5) White - He needs time and could get much, much better. He has not shown anything yet and his history at Cincinnati seems to be ominous at this point in terms of being a disappointment.

6) Greene - We need his defense bad at PG. Real bad. Other PG's will beat us to death without him...or maybe Quis.

7) Marshall - He has huge upside. Great physical tools, confidence, intelligence, defense, length...star potential IMO. Most potential IMO of all of these guys.

8) Powell - Solid. Every team needs a guy like him. What makes him special is he does all the dirty work (defense, rebounding, etc.) but is also solid offensively. Incredible find by TPTB.

If you think we would actually cut James White or even Maceo Baston you are out of your mind.

Why not just package Harrison and Sarunas for a shooter?

Q looks very expendable in NY with Marbury, Francis, Crawford, Rose, Nate, and Zeke's new toy, Balkman.

I'm not a huge fan and he has a pretty crappy contract, but he thrives in open space and could help space the floor.

They said Richardson isn't getting traded.

Alpolloloco
10-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Josh is indeed a solid player and should be kept, together with Marshall and Greene.

We should just cut Jackson, he has been horrible to watch these last games. We can't trade him because nobody wants him on their team (rightfully so) so let's take our loss and get him out of town!

Speed
10-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Josh is indeed a solid player and should be kept, together with Marshall and Greene.

We should just cut Jackson, he has been horrible to watch these last games. We can't trade him because nobody wants him on their team (rightfully so) so let's take our loss and get him out of town!

and pay him 30 million over the next 4 years by "cutting" him and he will go play for Miami or Phoenix for the minimum and win a championship?

NBA contracts are guaranteed, I'm sorry I try not to post this when I see it, but it drives me crazy sometimes.

Mordecaii
10-20-2006, 11:44 AM
I think it's funny with everyone saying we should cut a guy that we owe millions of dollars. Do you really think that the owners want to shell out millions of dollars (an average person would only make a million about every 30 years to put it into perspective) for nothing? These guys didn't get to be fairly rich by throwing away money. Even though they have lots of money, they're not going to want to just waste it.

Isaac
10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I think this needs to be our 12:

Tinsley
Armstrong
Rawle
Powell
Jackson
Granger
Al
Jermaine
Jeff
David
Jack
James White

Send Williams to the D-League at the start of the season, he'll get his minutes for this team, but they won't come at the beginning of the year, just let him get comfortable there for a while.

Speed
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Armstrong - Greene - Daniels - White

How often did Gill play? They're never going to NEED to use Daniels at the 1, but he'll likely be used there out of experimentation, but he's an emergency 1 and it's fine. And White is the emergency - emergency 1.

Hell, they dabbled with using Fred Jones at the 1 some, and Dallas used Daniels a few times there as well.

Let's say Tinsley is gone and you don't want to start Armstrong because you don't want him playing more than 10 minutes. You rotate Greene and Daniels at PG, there is more than a little depth at SG and SF between Jackson, Granger, Harrington, White, and Marshall.

Let's face it, from what we've seen (and we've had far longer to judge him than we have Marshall - Powell - White - Williams, etc) of Jasikevicius, he sucks at PG. I'll go on record and say that Sarunas as PG is more of a liability all-around than Daniels or even James White would be.

He can't play D, he gets frustrated, he's slow, he can't dribble, he hasn't found his shot, and he hasn't proven that he can have a good assist/TO ratio. I felt better with Gill in the game last year. The only thing I like about Sarunas is his ability to force a shooting foul on offense.

If Tinsley is significantly hurt during the season, they'll end up making a mid-season trade for a new PG anyway. It's not like Sarunas is going to save the day.

I disagree the Saras assessment, but thats subjective. I'm uncomfortable with that rotation at this point, big time. Two guys who aren't healthy in MD and Greene, Armstrong who like you said may only be played 10 mins, and White who has looked like a deer in the headlights at this point.

With Saras still here you can couple him with MD as has been said before and possibly be effective, with the second unit, while Tinsley is out.

Alpolloloco
10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
That's right, we haven't seen our starting backcourt of Sarunas and Marquis playing together. Let's wait before making any judgments.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
and pay him 30 million over the next 4 years by "cutting" him and he will go play for Miami or Phoenix for the minimum and win a championship?

NBA contracts are guaranteed, I'm sorry I try not to post this when I see it, but it drives me crazy sometimes.

It's amazing how some people don't understand this who guaranteed contract concept, isn't it? These people need to get it through their heads that WE ARE NOT CUTTING STEPHEN JACKSON or any other player with a guaranteed contract lasting more than this year.

imawhat
10-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I still get the feeling we might cut Marshall, and it's not because he's the last guy on the bubble. Rick's comments were about as close to negative as they get when he was talking about Marshall; that could be the biggest clue.

I think we'll keep Baston just so we have another big body, unfortunately. I like Baston, but I don't think he's worth a roster spot. He's picked up 12 fouls in 29 minutes in the last two games....in the preseason. And when he wasn't picking up fouls he was getting burned. And part of the reason we picked him up was his defense. ::shakes head towards Bird::

I don't know though. Maybe we'll keep Marshall in anticipation of Jackson getting jail-time. I'm hoping we keep Marshall just because he runs the floor really well.

imawhat
10-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Back to Powell though...

I could see him taking Foster's minutes if Foster doesn't start because he's a bigger body and more of an offensive threat. Then again, I'm almost certain that Foster will end up starting again :(.

One more thing, I was really impressed with Powell's post game comments. He sounds like he has a great attitude and is exactly what the team needs. I have no doubt why JO was so high on him during the fan jam. He's the real deal.

ajbry
10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
That's right, we haven't seen our starting backcourt of Sarunas and Marquis playing together. Let's wait before making any judgments.

If they get traded to the Fever, sure, they'll be the starters. Otherwise, get off the pipe, you're embarassing yourself.

Speed
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Back to Powell though...

I could see him taking Foster's minutes if Foster doesn't start because he's a bigger body and more of an offensive threat. Then again, I'm almost certain that Foster will end up starting again :(.

I think you are right. Granger off the bench.

I bet it's

Tins
SJ
Al
JO
Foster

Bench
Saras
MD
DG
Powell
Harrison

but

I bet by allstar break its

Tins
SJ
AL
JO
Powell

bench

Greene
MD
DG
Foster
Harrison

-I just think Powell is the perfect compliment to JO.

imawhat
10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I'd love to see Powell starting if Granger isn't going to. Love to.

ajbry
10-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Powell may be a nice player as of now, but I'm not exactly too sure of starting him, at any point this season, unless it's an emergency. Coming off the bench, with good minutes - that sounds reasonable.

Anthem
10-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Actually, Jackson looked pretty good in the Denver game. For a good part of the third, he and Al looked like our two best players.

Speed
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
What I like about Powell playing beside JO/starting and what I dislike about Jeff starting/playing beside JO...

-Powell hits the 17 footer
-Jeff can be a game changer/energy guy off the bench and is perfect for an up tempo second unit
-I also think Powell is a more physical defender than Foster and is essentially what JO had asked for at the end of last season, in his playing style.

I think it all just fits better that way.

Now I'm jumping to the fact that Powell can keep doing what he's done. That's a pretty big leap, I know.

I know last night I saw him help side stop two dribble penetrations from both sides of the court within 5 seconds and still recover to his man to box out. I know he really did defend May one on one, super effectively at the end. I know he hit the jumper, got to the line and crashes the boards EVERYTIME. So regardless of the numbers, he was almost always making the team better with his play.